#176 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1925 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well the Puppy Linux is not new, AFAIR first version was created on 2013 or even before, but I haven't seen new versions for a long time, at least since 2017 or 2018.

The menu entries with pmedia=xxxflash, ended with flash load automatically and expand on Ram the files with extension .sfs mentioned on my previous post, and all is ran in Ram, untill you close the OS and then you are asked the first time if you want to create a persistence file, and following times you close the OS it asks you if you want to save the changes or not.

JFYI I'm writing this from Puppy Linux slacko x64 v7.0 booted this time by means of Ventoy, for testing purposes.

alacran

#177 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1033 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 weeks ago

can a vhd be formatted as fat32?

#178 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1033 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 4 weeks ago

well, tried it as u said; it hardly ever gets to the interface. looks like one hell of an adventure.

#179 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1925 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 4 weeks ago

JFYI

Hi, I'm writing this from my Linux-Lite.vhd.vtoy, made from linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso (1.3 GB), it fits on a 10 GB VHD and still has 2.3 GB free. 

On the official documentation we can find under Tutorials how to install Linux-Lite with persistence on a USB device  also valid for all Ubuntu derivatives (this runs under Linux environment). But in the case of Ubuntu and Linix Mint it is easier to use wimb's programs for this task on Windows environment.

Following the instructions there, I was able to create on an old USB stick, a bootable 1.9 GB USB device with a casper-rw 300 MB file into it for persistence and it booted fine.

Unfortunately as all the process is made under Linux environment it uses several partitions, and none of them are seen from Windows.

alacran

#180 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 273 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hello alacran,

You can try some tools to access Linux from Windows :

https://helpdeskgeek...ons-in-windows/

• wimb and alacran like this

#181 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1925 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 3 weeks ago

JFYI

I know following info is not related to VHD but it is another easier and faster option, this time booting Linux directly from a folder.

See: http://reboot.pro/in...showtopic=22441

alacran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, windows, boot, vhd, image-file, howto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users