4 replies to this topic

#1 brianpaul

brianpaul

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have been using BartPE for years and just started using Win7PE_SE. With BartPE, we compressed the image and had it load into ram which made it much faster when booting. I noticed that the "complete package" of Win7PE_SE has the "Copy to USB device" already there. I have a few questions about this...

1. Does it compress the image? Does it load the boot image into ram when booting? If not, will it be slower booting?
2. Any reason to use "Copy to USB device" instead of "Copy to USB device BCD BootMGR"?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

1. Does it compress the image? Does it load the boot image into ram when booting? If not, will it be slower booting?
2. Any reason to use "Copy to USB device" instead of "Copy to USB device BCD BootMGR"?

I'm sure ChrisR and others can tell you more but here's my 2 cents...

1. It uses boot.wim so that counts as a compressed image and I believe it should load (mostly) to RAM depending on your project settings. Unfortunately, I've had troubles with these scripts, getting 'unsupported format' or similar when choosing Win7PE_SE from (nice) GFX menu.

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong because I prefer to setup my UFD manually with my own menu and background. I also prefer to leave the ISO(s) intact on the boot disk. I can't say if this increases loading time but since it only takes a few seconds I'm not concerned about it.

2. The only difference AFAIK is one uses Grub4Dos and the other BCD BootMgr but since they both employ a BootMgr loader this point seems moot; maybe this is part of GFX setup. I'm no expert on these 'fancy' menu setups because they generally don't work as advertised or they're just too complicated for me to figure out. I need to be able to drop in new images and have them automatically show up in my menu without third party tools or too much fuss; for this nothing beats a simple grldr and menu.lst setup. If you want info on setting this up, check my tutorial under 'Booting PE from Hard Drive or USB Flash Drive' section.

#3 brianpaul

brianpaul

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

#4 brianpaul

brianpaul

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Amalux, I was going to try your way of booting from usb, but under Win7, you say "Start by downloading the package here:" But it doesn't have a link after that, it just says "I'll be back..." Where can I download this package?

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

You'll find out when I get back ;)

Seriously, I've been busy with other stuff, thanks for reminding me...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win7pe_se, usb flash drive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users