5 replies to this topic

#1 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

Hello,

I ahve an damaged hdd which contains several bad sectors right at the beginning of the drive. Due to this, whenever I plug the HDD either by SATA or USB/enclosure it will freeze the system. I tried the following and it froze on all of them:

• WinPE 3/4/10
  • Windows Setup DVD
  • Installed Windows on HDD itself
  • installed Windows on other drive with damaged one as secondary

Now, in mac or linux the HDD is semi-readable, I can copy some files off it but most of them outputs a copy error.

The issue is the same to what is described here: http://superuser.com...e-entire-system

I require some help to get this HDD to work without freezing my system. I have some some software tools that I'd like to use on it but cannot do anything while it causes the freeze.

What should I do?

Thank you

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

I would use linux to make a sector-for-sector copy of the drive (or make an image of the drive).

This may take a long time due to the bad sectors.

Maybe others can suggest a suitable tool under linux that is better than dd and perhaps a way of reducing retries on error to shorten the copy time?

If you use an image (VHD?), you could mount the image under Windows.

Once you have a good 'copy' of the disk, you can try Windows and use TestDisk and PhotoRec to repair the drive and copy off any files.

P.S. http://www.cgsecurit...maged_Hard_Disk  see dd_rescue

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:07 AM

I would clone the whole drive sector for sector, all partitions intact. DD or CloneZilla or any other cloning tool should work, as long as they do actual cloning/imaging rather than just backups. Keeping the drive read-only is important, nothing should be making writes, or you risk more damage. Then run a tool on the drive like SpinRite or HDD Regenerator, they cant do any worse since your clone is made beforehand, even if they dont help. Hook the drive up to a desktop and let it run for a few days+ if necessary. You can mount your cloned disk image with ImDisk. Either way, no matter what you do, look into buying a new drive. These 2 tools may be able to prevent the drive from failing for a bit longer, if you really need to use it that badly, but in the end the inevitable will almost certainly happen sooner rather than later.

#4 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Out of interest, what if you boot with winpe using sanpolicy and noautomount combinations?

More here : http://reboot.pro/to...s/?hl=sanpolicy .

Does Winpe still freeze?

If not, you may be able to clone the physical drive from there.

For sure, get your datas back (if you can) and throw the disk away.

#5 Uneitohr

Uneitohr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Out of interest, what if you boot with winpe using sanpolicy and noautomount combinations?

It worked! Tested this on both WinPE and installed OS. 

I'll start making an image of the drive and start the recovery process.

Thanks guys!

#6 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

It worked! Tested this on both WinPE and installed OS. 

I'll start making an image of the drive and start the recovery process.

Thanks guys!

Good !

The cloning process may still be challenging or time consuming (when hitting bad sectors) but at least your OS wont freeze anymore.

Lots of cloning software can handle bad sectors fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users