4 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

The config directory empties itself every time I disconnect and reconnect the unit.

Both isosel.bin and iso_filename.txt disappear.

It has the latest firmware, and the microSD card is properly formatted 64GB exFAT. This problem exists regardless of what microSD card is in the device.

Even recreating those files doesn't load ANY iso file in the virtual optical drive the isostick creates.

What can be done to fix this?

Edit: This is a new unit that's only a few weeks old.

Edited by Sidewinder, 24 August 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

That is very strange, there is nothing in the isostick itself that would cause this.

You mention the microSD card is 64GB exFAT, but it should be FAT32 for isostick functionality. See these format settings for example.

Either way, exFAT wouldn't cause this problem...

Are you safely ejecting the isostick before unplugging it?

Also check the drive(s) for filesystem errors.

Just as a sanity check:

- Do other files remain on the isostick?

- Can you create the files using a different card reader, and do they stick around if you do?

#3 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

Yes, the device in every instance is safely ejected.

Yes, I've checked the microSD card for filesystem errors and there are none.

In fact, I've reformatted the 64GB card to Fat32 just as an option (not quick formatted either). It didn't seem to be any kind of multiplier of problems (trying to narrow down the issue by making things as *default* as possible).

You asked about sanity checks:

The ISOs remain untouched. MD5 verified.

Files can and have been created using a different card reader. One was a USB reader, the other, an microSD to SD adapter for cameras (used in one camera) and plugged into a few laptops.

Interesting note. The only file that IS altered is the iso_filename.txt that I've stored outside of the config directory in the root. It now contains only a series of lowercase Y's with umlauts instead of "iso/mylinux.iso".

I have sent you info regarding this as a "ticket" as well, maybe that will help identify issues?

Feel free to respond here to those if/when you do.

Thanks,

#4 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:07 AM

It's fixed. I'm not sure why or how but after reformatting the micro SD card *again*, then installing a lower firmware version than the latest - then upgrading to the latest - it now works.

So my next question would be, now that digital river is down, where can I get a good ISO of win 7 pro sp1 that won't throw CD driver issues at me on boot? (apparently, using dd to make my own iso is the best way to make a bootable iso, but it lacks the proper drivers).

I've seen another post on here describing it but it hasn't been used in over a year.

#5 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:00 AM

Sorry for disappearing, I caught a really nasty cold and was out of commission all week.

I could be mistaken (it's been a while), but I don't recall any issues specifically relating to win7 bootable isos on isostick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users