#201 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:37 PM

When I tell them about the achievements, some ask "can I do the same as well?", and I reply "yes, but u have to do a bit of reading beforehand", and they go "oh, no...".

Sure, that is normal.

Everyone wants the cake and eat it too.

In Italian - just for the record - it is in three parts, the most common is two parts:

Avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca -> To have the barrel full and the wife drunk

to which the most sagacious will add:

... e l'uva sulla vigna -> ... and the grapes in the vineyard.

:duff:

Wonko

• virgus and antonino61 like this

#202 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

l'uva sulla vigna must be an utter Tuscan edition of the saying.

#203 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

i did, but I have a feeling my system is underutilized under linux. Plus, game playing is still lagging behind in linux. Let's say that I got some aesthetic ideas from the mac and some functional ideas from linux and thought of implementing as many of them as possible in windows. My vision also encompasses some sort of a concoction of the 3 major systems in the world, of course for the better. to give u a better clue, when I started studying linguistics, I was shocked to see all these Schools fighting each other instead of each of them putting their own efforts for a truth that necessarily lay somewhere out there. Each of them would try and assert their own point that was obviously partial. I even mentioned this in the final exam, saying that we would be much closer to a complete understanding of language itself if they stopped all this ridiculous fighting.

#204 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

l'uva sulla vigna must be an utter Tuscan edition of the saying.

I don't think it is particularly Tuscan, as it is missing (the three part one, not the two parts one) in Giusti's dictionary of proverbs, there it is recorded as "non si può avere la botte piena e la moglie briaca" (and briaca is clearly a Tuscanism).

If you want a real Tuscan proverb (not registered in Giusti's dictionary) that possibly fits even better, here you are:
Non ha il palio se non chi corre.

corresponding to this one (which is in Giusti's):
A gloria non si va senza fatica. 

Wonko

#205 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:42 PM

could it also be i rigori li sbaglia solo chi li tira, or is it a bit off the mark? it might be a consequence. mind u, I am applying it all to the bettering of windows.

#206 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

could it also be i rigori li sbaglia solo chi li tira, or is it a bit off the mark?

No, that has another meaning, the classical version being "chi non fa non falla" it is about receiving criticism for having badly done something, the original idea is linked to sloth or to asking for a free meal, and tanstaafl:

https://en.wikipedia...as_a_free_lunch

Wonko 

#207 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:32 PM

Wow!! A linguist at heart.

#208 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

well, getting back to getting all of the fluff out, I can confirm that the procedures hereof apply even on my wife's laptop, namely the reduction of winsxs by cdob must be followed by the copying of the manifests folder from wnsxsorig**** back to winsxs for everything to work as before,

#209 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

... I can confirm that the procedures hereof apply even on my wife's laptop, namely ...

You like to live dangerously, don't you? :dubbio:

I cannot even imagine the possible consequences if - for any reason - it wouldn't have worked properly[1] ... :ph34r:

;)

Anyway, that is an excellent field test.  :thumbsup:

Wonko

[1] which in the case of wife's devices should be read as perfectly.

#210 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

and u did not consider the time it takes on my wife's device

#211 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

Do you mean the time took to you to find the solution?

They always want you to do everything inmediately, no excuses.

Don't risk your life this way my friend. Women are very dangerous when mad. Even dangerous than Covid-19, I say that by experience.

alacran

#212 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

They always want you to do everything inmediately, no excuses.

For those not familiar with this particular use of the adverb, in these cases "immediately" means not a normal "immediately", but rather "before immediately".

Wonko

#213 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

As regards women, u can't live with them and u can't live without them.

As regards my wife's laptop, well... I have come to the realization that it sucks. it is a 3-year old amd hp --> wimboot, no dice. better run full vhd. one thing I am happy about: all intel services installed and disabled by default have been removed by device remover (wonderful software provided u know what u r doing or have backed up the full vhd before running it). Not much space gained, though. All in all, even alacrán woulda gotten mad here.

Oh, before I forget, my wife's laptop has also enabled me to fully sympathise with wimb and alacrán for the painstaking efforts they make in catering for the needs of those with low-resource pc's. me, I've almost lost my will to live.

#214 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

@antonino61: I can live without women and their bitchiness/whinyness.....mind over matter. I haven't dated for 7+ yrs, have no desire for a wife or children. This isn't to say I don't have sex with them, but I won't date them. If I had to be celibate, I could do it. My personal goals and happiness are far more important to me than a relationship.

As for Linux, it's definitely not underutilizing your system resources. If anything, its making the most of them, probably even more so than Windows. As far as gaming, you're right, Linux isn't so good for that, but it depends on the game. Make sure you install the optimal graphics drivers and configure your distro correctly.

Another thing you might want to look into: running Windows in a hypervisor within Linux, then allocating a whole GPU to it. It's called VGA passthrough. I've been doing this for around a yr now, a friend helped set it up. I still dont fully understand how to manage it, but it works flawlessly, and with full graphics acceleration. You'll need 2, one for Linux and the other for the hypervisor. With this you can play games that would normally only be playable in Windows (technically you're still doing that, but without dualbooting). It can be managed with just 1 GPU, but that is really tricky because both OSes can't share the GPU @ same time. This is more advanced than a regular VM.

#215 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

Pls tell me exactly how to do it.

#216 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:28 AM

Start reading slowly and carefuly this: https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Hypervisor

Links available on the page.

alacran

#217 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

I forgot to mention that your mobo needs to support IOMMU and VT-D. If those arent present, forget it. AMD cards can be passed through without issues. NVIDIA GeForce GPUs are more problematic, the driver will refuse to install if it detects a hypervisor. NVIDIA wants ppl to buy Quadro cards, which dont have this restriction. I'm using KVM on Gentoo, Windows 10 LTSC x64 is the virtualized OS. I can play pretty much any game at near-native performance, like:

DayZ Standalone

ArmA 3

Doom Eternal

Red Dead Redemption 2

Grand Theft Auto V

And many others...my FPS ranges from 50 to 120 depending on the game. If you pass through a network card, you can play online too. Although you may get kicked/banned if the game's anticheat detects a VM. BattlEye in particular is a pain, I've went to great lengths to evade detection. Not running any hacks, so no issues there.

#218 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:03 PM

Mmh, 'tseems a bit problematic for my HW architecture.

#219 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:18 AM

@antonino61: What are you running, a potato? It's my understanding that most modern hardware since 2013 or later should have these features. You just need to enable them. It is better to pass through a dedicated GPU. My hypervisor is using an NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, and a lesser-powered AMD Radeon for the Linux host. I'm really enjoying not having to dual boot into Windows just to play games.

#220 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

so which linux distro shall I run and what other steps shall I take?

#221 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:58 PM

@antonino61: Well, figure out what your mobo is. Then search around to see if it supports IOMMU and VT-d (if it's a mobo in a machine that has AMD CPU/GPU, these may be called something else). Boot into your BIOS, sniff around. Once you've confirmed these, determine if your GPU is suitable for passthrough, and has enough oomph to play the games you like. If your GPU is integrated with the CPU as one unit, forget it. Even if you could pass through an iGPU, performance will be crap. If you already have 2 dedicated GPUs, set aside the stronger one for the hypervisor and the weaker one for the host. As said, you can do this with one GPU, but it requires alot of scripting trickery, I havent tried it. It's also best if you have 2 monitors, I run the host on one and hypervisor on the other. Then you can control both OSes at the same time.

As for which Linux distro, it really doesnt matter, as long as it is relatively recent with a new-ish kernel. The availability of packages like KVM, QEMU, xen, and associated packages are important. And a reliable way to install/configure your Linux GPU drivers. I'm using Gentoo, so all my packages are customized for my hardware, and compiled from source code. Others have had sucess with Arch Linux, or variants of it like Manharo, which has a GUI setup wizard and easy to use package manager. I run other distros like Fedora and Debian too, along with Arch, but I havent tried this on those...it would probably work though.

It's also best to dedicate an entire disk to the hypervisor, for best performance. Should work with just 1 partition on a single disk, with the host controlling the rest. But then there can be I/O conflicts between the host and hypervisor. My hypervisor is using a Samsung 4TB SSD, it is just Windows 10, games, and torrent downloads, nothing else. i dont even bother to encrypt it like i normally would, since there is nothing secret/private on there that would be particularly interesting to anyone. Some of the games are legit and downloaded from platforms like Steam, others are pirated.

#222 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

for a start I do not have 2 monitors. My mobo is gigabyte ultra gaming pro, my cpu is intel i9. my videocard is nvidia geforce 1070. I have other 2 videocards, but still, as I said ealier, 1 monitor only. vt-d is currently disabled, but i do not think i would have any trouble enabling it. I do not have a whole disk to dedicate, but with wubi, I would be able to run kinux off a ubuntu directory, I just need to know how it's done.

#223 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

@antonino61: I can't really explain the "how it's done", since it all comes down to hardware, distro, personal preferences. And I had help setting this up from a local Gentoo user who is far more experienced.

There is no hard and fast rule that says you must have 2 monitors, 2 GPUs, or a dedicated disk, but things will be easier if you do have all of these. You'll have to improvise and adapt. This isnt sonething you can set up in 5 mins, maybe not even in a few hours. it depends on your experience. Even with help, my setup took the better part of 8 hours to get running.

If you cant spare a whole disk, try just a single partition (or 2 for a UEFI hypervisor, the way mine is set up). i'm not certain if the hypervisor can run in legacy/CSM (my guess is yes, but never tried).

It sounds like your hardware is recent enough and probably has the required features. Do some research. I would use Manjaro for the host, it's easy to set up. Or whatever you already have (a "real" Ubuntu/Mint, def not WUBI).

#224 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

linuxfx?

#225 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

@antonino61: Why would you want to use a garbage distro that tries to look like Windows 10...just use a real, respected distro, it's not that hard. The more mainlone distros will have all the necessary packages you need. LinuxFX? Probably not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users