#1 Peskykid

Peskykid
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Winbuilder, however I think I have made tremendous headway playing around with the software and reading up on the forum. Thanks to everyone who is involved with this project.

I want to see how well of a grasp I have. I want my boot disc to do many things. I am using Windows7 Home edition 32-bit to build the disc. Basically a Win7PE. Here is the deal. When the disc is loaded, I want to have several options:

1. Win7pe
2. SpinRite 6.0 (this works I added the spinrite.img and renamed to FLOPPY1.IMG)
3. Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper (32-bit)
4. Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper (64-bit)
5. Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10
6. Symantec Ghost (not sure of proper name but I have the iso)
7. Winternals 2007 ERD Commander ( I have the iso)

Some questions...

- Would multiPE be a correct choice for this application? I think it may be because each item listed above boots by itself if it were burned to a cd.

- I would need more than the additional 3 *.wim spots under OtherOS... Is it possible to add more?

Thank you for your time.

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

- I would need more than the additional 3 *.wim spots under OtherOS... Is it possible to add more?

You can edit the script to add more locations (basic script editing skills required) or you can just copy the script and name it with a 2 at the end to run both scripts sequentially (easiest), giving you 6 openings.

#3 Peskykid

Peskykid
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

You can edit the script to add more locations (basic script editing skills required) or you can just copy the script and name it with a 2 at the end to run both scripts sequentially (easiest), giving you 6 openings.

Remember I am a newbie... So either way would that change in the UI of Winbuilder? Showing me 6 openings? Sorry for the silly question.

#4 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

it doesn't matter if you use win7pe_se or multi pe as your project ... imho for you the menu.lst entries are the parts to know (for grub4dos)

your menu.lst should have these entries for your tools:
1.) Win7PE
title WinPE
chainloader /BOOTMGR

2.) SpinRite 6.0
title SpinRite 6.0
map /FLOPPY1.IMG (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

3.) Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper (32-bit)
title Microsoft AV Sweeper for 32-bit Windows\nRun this to disinfect a 32-bit Windows system
find --set-root /MSSS_Media32.iso
map /MSSS_Media32.iso (0xff) || map --mem /MSSS_Media32.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

4.) Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper (64-bit)
title Microsoft AV Sweeper for 64-bit Windows\nRun this to disinfect a 64-bit Windows system
find --set-root /MSSS_Media64.iso
map /MSSS_Media64.iso (0xff) || map --mem /MSSS_Media64.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

5.) Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10
http://support.kaspe...e&qid=207621570
or
http://sites.google..../kasperkyrescue

6.) Symantec Ghost and 7.) Winternals 2007 ERD Commander
afair there are several threads to integrate these tools into grub4dos menu.lst

personally I have several tools to start and none of the projects fit them all, therefore I have my own menu.lst and I use that one.

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Remember I am a newbie... So either way would that change in the UI of Winbuilder? Showing me 6 openings? Sorry for the silly question.

It's not clear which project you're referring to, it sounds like Win7PE_SE but I'm sure any would be similar. In that project, if you open "ProjectsWin7PE_SEOtherOS" folder and copy MultiWim.script; renaming copy to MultiWim2.script; you'll see two Multi-WIM entries under OtherOS in script tree view. Use the three available in each for your entries.

Just saw patsch above, this is actually the way I do it as well; manually setup/edit the menu.lst file for grldr. It's actually very easy once you get used to it and much more versatile than relying on the script. Just ask if you have questions ;)

#6 Peskykid

Peskykid
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Quick and helpful replies.. Thank you all! Wish me luck!

#7 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

OK, first off, the "OtherOS" reference seems to indicate you are actually using the Win7PE_SE project...a MultiPE really means a SINGLE PE that could have multiple SOURCES...i.e. one project that could build a VistaPE, a WIn7 PE or maybe even an XP or WIN8 PE. I think what you are looking for is a MultiBOOT project...(more on that in a minute)

But even with that cleared up, using the "otherOS" scripts may not get you what you want - A WIM is very different than an ISO. What Amalux was suggesting was to make a copy of the WIM script (so that there are now TWO scripts)...Then you would have two places to add WIM files! Note: that here the boot sequence is to boot into the boot manager (ISOLINUX or Grub4dos), which would let you select Windows or Spinright, then the windows boot manager would give you access to the WIM's (i.e. PE or other WIM files you added). Using 2 copies is certainly easier than going into the script to create a new interface and processing, etc...But is another approach for a non-noob...so you can alsways try it to learn more...

But, back to MultiBOOT...

There are MANY ways to do this from Xboot to SARDU, etc. A whole lot of posts on multi-booting UFD's etc. In fact, the OtherOS scripts are a way to add multi-booting a few simple things to a basic PE. In addition to these, the MultiPE project has a different approach to building the "media" - i.e. the PE Factory script. It lets you add in different ISO and IMG files - but doesn't add in WIM files...

Bottom line MANY WAYS to do this sort of thing...In fact, they aren't mutually exclusive...You could (for example) build a "standard" Win7PE_SE, and add it to an XBoot or Sardu configuration as a stand-alone ISO. You could make it have PMagic and SpinRight in your PE, but add the other ISO using XBoot, or PEFactory...

In fact (shameless PLUG :) ) I am working on a project to let you assemble a multi-BOOT using WinBuilder as well (coming soon)...

So - good luck...

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

...a MultiPE really means a SINGLE PE that could have multiple SOURCES...i.e. one project that could build a VistaPE, a WIn7 PE or maybe even an XP or WIN8 PE. I think what you are looking for is a MultiBOOT project...(more on that in a minute)

:thumbsup: :worship:

I had thought that after LiveXP (which is NOT a Live XP, but a PE) and with BootSDI (that doesn't boot a SDI at all) we had no more occasion to assign the yearly "Most improperly named .script/project of the year" Award.
I guess we already have the 2011 winner ;).

:cheers:
Wonko

#9 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

If you think about it a bit more, and Multi-PE "Project" uses "Multi-PE as an adjective, and hence is proper usage...it is a Project that can build multiple PE's from a single source project. A Multi-BOOT project builds things that allow multiple things to boot.

And you must have been :sleeping: since we have had many other posts on this already...BUT - that's OK, since I got confused on it as well and am often :sleeping: too!

Scott

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

If you think about it a bit more, and Multi-PE "Project" uses "Multi-PE as an adjective, and hence is proper usage...it is a Project that can build multiple PE's from a single source project. A Multi-BOOT project builds things that allow multiple things to boot.

Well, no.
What you get at the end is (as you very nicely described :thumbup:) a SINGLE PE.

If you prefer "MultiPE project", in the sense of "MultiPE .script" are OK and make sense, but "MultiPE build" or simply "MultiPE" doesn't make much of it.

To avoid misunderstanding, you now have to start saying:

I built an XP based PE using MultiPE....

or:

I built a MultiPE from Windows 7 sources...

or:

I built a PE 2.x with MultiPE....

etc.
, since "MultiPE" unlike other previous projects can process ONE among many possible different OS sources AND invariably delivers ONE SINGLE build that in itself - if you call it "MultiPE" doesn't give ANY information on the source used AND is not "Multi" at all.

ChoicePE or FreeChoicePE might have been more accurate ;).

And you must have been :sleeping: since we have had many other posts on this already...BUT - that's OK, since I got confused on it as well and am often :sleeping: too!

Naah, I have been awake but hiding in the dark :ph34r:, patiently waiting for someone to actually raise the question and provide a good explanation for it.

The one you provided was excellent, until you took it back. :(

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet :thumbup:, but just as it happened in the past with the mentioned Award winners and many other things, the risk of mis-communication is greatly increased. :(

Wonko

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

The multiPE download page says:
multiPE is the first WinBuilder project which builds a PE from XP, Win2003, Vista and Win7 sources.

So, depending on the source, you can build a PE1, PE2 and / or PE3.

With multiPE's PEFactory you can create a Multi Boot Media (CD / DVD and / or UFD) containing them all and optionally other booting items:
Attached File  multiboot.gif   31.88KB   15 downloads.

BTW: The above mentioned "cannot boot from WIM" will be a wrong statement in some (Latin) hours. :dubbio: :rofl:

Peter

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Peter,
your project is seemingly an EXCELLENT one :thumbsup:.

Still you insist on making it's scope not immediately clear.

IF I got it right, each time you run the .script or project, it delivers a SINGLE build, depending on WHICH source you choose.

Or you can give it at the same time three (or more) different sources and in one single pass it will build three (or more) different PE's? :w00t:

And still, UNLIKE other projects, it's name which was, is and will be used INDIFFERENTLY for the actual project and for the PE build resulting from it's use doesn't contain in itself a hint on WHICH source is used.
THis is ALLRIGHT :), but people will need to specify every time WHICH source was used for the build, to avoid misunderstindings.

Wonko

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

IF I got it right, each time you run the .script or project, it delivers a SINGLE build, depending on WHICH source you choose.
Or you can give it at the same time three (or more) different sources and in one single pass it will build three (or more) different PE's? :w00t:

Currently a SINGLE build, depending on WHICH source
In the very unlikely event that I am bored, I'll think about a compound version.

And still, UNLIKE other projects, it's name which was, is and will be used INDIFFERENTLY for the actual project and for the PE build resulting from it's use doesn't contain in itself a hint on WHICH source is used.

ISO filename is %ProjectClass%_%ProjectID%.iso
CD / UFD volumename is %ProjectClass%_%ProjectID%

%ProjectClass% is constant multiPE
%ProjectID% depends on the source CD and is either XP, Vista or Win7

And when you booted the PE, there is a command version ...

Peter

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

Yes :smiling9:, but you still miss the point I was trying to make, everything is fine and dandy for "experienced" users, but in 99.99% of cases the ones who may experience problems in a build are "newbies", so, unless somehow it is made extremely clear, the "typical" thread will go like this:

Hi, i just attempted to build a MultiPE but <insert here something that doesn't work> happened.

Well, MultiPE by itself means nothing, WHICH source did you use for building it? In any case, upload somewhere a copy of the log and post a link to it.

Not very unlike the usual ;):

Hi, i just attempted to build a <insert name of a project that only works with a single source> but <insert here something that doesn't work> happened.

Well, MultiPE by itself means nothing, WHICH source did you use for building it? In any case, upload somewhere a copy of the log and post a link to it.

but still..... :whistling:

If you prefer:

The multiPE download page says:
multiPE is the first WinBuilder project which builds a PE from XP, Win2003, Vista and Win7 sources.

this could be more clear IF it said:

multiPE is a WinBuilder project which can build a PE from one among:

• Windows XP
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
sources.
If you need help assistance ALWAYS specify which source you used to build.

BTW what about Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2? :unsure:

Wonko

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Even in case 1 the helper has not to ask for the track, only for the log. The log tells everything necessary.

2008: No opinion, I did not test. If you want you may test and tell us the resukts.

Peter

#16 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

@wonko -

Yes, there is more chance for a "normal" end-user to ask for help, and not give us enough information the first time...And yes, it can be confusing - that always happens when you shorten the amount of information in the title...And even if we said MultiPE Project, I would bet good $$$ that a user would shorten it to MultiPE...And don't forget the MultiLeopard, which is also multi-source...

So, to me, the bottom line here is that we need to help the new user help us help them (ok...too many "helps" in that but I hope you get the idea)...We should always ask for the LOG, and we can all work to make that simple and that the logs give us easy to find information. And maybe in the future, think a bit more whan coming up with the short form names...

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

And don't forget the MultiLeopard, which is also multi-source...

Do you imply that Peter lied :w00t: :ph34r: and that MultiPE is NOT the first Multi-Source project around? ;)
:rofl:

So, to me, the bottom line here is that we need to help the new user help us help them (ok...too many "helps" in that but I hope you get the idea)...We should always ask for the LOG, and we can all work to make that simple and that the logs give us easy to find information. And maybe in the future, think a bit more whan coming up with the short form names...

Sure :thumbsup:, but when the "issue" is already there, making a brief explanation or at least try to better phrase should help.
In any case this is not "as" serious "as" the BootSDI or the LiveXP issue.

@pscEx
I don't have any available 2008 nor 2008 R2 thingy, not the needed hardware, let alone the time/will to test your project with them, I mentioned them since they should be 99.999% compatible with - respectively - Vista :ph34r: and 7 sources, and if they work you could have a list of 6 compatible sources instead of 4 (a 50% increase) with no or very little additional work.

Wonko

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Do you imply that Peter lied :w00t: :ph34r: and that MultiPE is NOT the first Multi-Source project around? ;)

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users