#526 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The only open question is memory: On my test system I have 4 GB. I do not know how to restrict to lower values for tests.

What about a VM? :dubbio:
It will be slower, but you have total control on the amount of Ram assigned to it.

Or otherwise run IMDISK and make in it a drive using "virtual memory" (i.e. without making a backing image).
The size of the volume should be subtracted from available memory (but you will have probably to reduce anyway the pagefile to the bare minimum :unsure:, if you have set it up as a fixed size based on a multiplier iof the 4 Gb or if it is "automatically managed").

:cheers:
Wonko

#527 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

What about a VM? :dubbio:
It will be slower, but you have total control on the amount of Ram assigned to it.

Or otherwise run IMDISK and make in it a drive using "virtual memory" (i.e. without making a backing image).
The size of the volume should be subtracted from available memory (but you will have probably to reduce anyway the pagefile to the bare minimum :unsure:, if you have set it up as a fixed size based on a multiplier iof the 4 Gb or if it is "automatically managed").

Wonko

Maybe you understood my issue not completelly (Sorry for my low English knowledge).

Currently in a physical running PE (no emulator!) I'm using ImDisk, to open an existing image on one of the host's HDDs. Size of the image is predefined (In current tests 1 GB, but can become more or less). Works well on my 4 GB host.

The question is: How ImDisk manages that image of 1 GB, when the whole hosts's memory is only 512 MB?

To test this, I'm looking for an ability to artificially decrease the available memory of the current running REAL system.

Peter :cheers:

#528 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Are you looking for this Peter?
http://msdn.microsof...f542290(v=vs.85).aspx

#529 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Exactly!

Thanks, Medevil!

Now I have only to put the knowledge into the boot sequence! :frusty:

That will take a while, but is doable!

#530 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hmmm.

That is another thing.

Let's see if I can put your situation this way.

Currently you are using on a 4 gb memory system IMDISK to mount a 1 Gb image (i.e. you are using IMDISK as filedisk driver, NOT as ramdisk driver :unsure:).

What happens on your system when instead of the 1 Gb image you use an 8 Gb one?

Wouldn't it be the same behaviour as using the original 1 Gb image on a 512 Mb RAM system?

Of course, if instead you are using IMDISK as a Ramdisk driver, then you won't be able to load in 4 Gb of RAM an 8 Gb image (as well you won't be able to have a 1 GB ramdisk on a 512 machine). :whistling:

If you prefer, if you use IMDISK as ramdisk, it will use the ram as disk ;), otherwise the amount of RAM (for mounting an image) will be trifling (and not really connected to the size of the image).

Limiting the memory through boot parameters is of course a perfect (foolproof) solution :thumbsup:, but seemingly a solution to a non-problem :dubbio:.

Wonko

#531 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Limiting the memory through boot parameters is of course a perfect (foolproof) solution :thumbsup:, but seemingly a solution to a non-problem :dubbio:.

Limiting would only be for my personal tests, not in the delivered project!

Peter

#532 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I think the issue is solved by this thread: http://reboot.pro/to...se/#entry166387

Thanks Wonko and Medevil, and please excuse double thread use, my despair trial.

#533 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Limiting would only be for my personal tests, not in the delivered project!

Sure, but as said it is not needed at all (at least when connected to IMDISK Ram usage when used as "filedisk"  and not as "ramdisk").

Wonko

#534 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Sure, but as said it is not needed at all (at least when connected to IMDISK Ram usage when used as "filedisk"  and not as "ramdisk").

Wonko

Now I know, but unfortunatelly not before! Nobody is perfect ! (And I'm nobody :hypocrite: )

Peter

#535 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Dear Peter,

Please do not overload Yourself with my pleasment.

I know, that it will require much time to implement it.

I do not know, if there is currently some Imdisk virtual disk driver script compatible with live XP project and even with Multipe.

For my personal need, i would only be very like, if Multi PE would contain The support for IMDISK virtual disk driver, context menu item and control panel applet.

I will use setpagefile.exe to assign virtual memory to .img file formatted as NTFS previously.

I will test NT kernel by using IMG file on USB stick.

There is even other special little tool to enable Windows memory management to use virtual memory, but i do not know, if this small .exe program will have enough strange to force NT kernel to use virtual memory while running Windows PE.

The .exe program is available on The WEB site of The author of IMDISK virtual diskdriver.

The name of The little program is

swapadd.zip

And program for 32 bit versions of Windows can be downloaded from here:

http://www.ltr-data....les/swapadd.zip

SSo would You try to include script to support IMDISK virtual disk driver?

Script can be selectable, so i or others would had to select it prior to use it by using Yours new context menu added to Winbuilder.

I Am starting to experiment with IMDISK and with setpagefile.exe

#536 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Dear Peter,

You are really expert, Windows 7 core do not want to enable me to use virtual IMDISK drive to use it for virtual memory.

When i have previously created this .img file with NTFS file system support, i have saved .img file on my external USB harddisk, when i have mounted .img file by using IMDISK virtual disk driver, setpagefile.exe could not force kernel to use this virtual disk driver for virtual memory.

So please, if You could create The script to Yours project, it would be really very nice from You.

It is very probably much more complex, than i could think, it is not so easy to only use setpagefile.exe and mounting .img file by IMDISK virtual disk driver.

Very probably, there are some registry tweaks.

Thank You for Yours time dear Peter.

NT kernel is much more clever as i could think about it.

#537 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'll do so.

But please give me some Latin hours (for mid European people like you and me that means some days) to implement.

I's not the easiest task ...

The beginner's tests are successful.

Peter

#538 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Dear Peter,

Sure, You have as much time  as You need. and i will lookforward on this solution.

Yours approach can help other Winbuilder based live projects.

#539 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Dear users,

For everybody of us, who would like to use virtual memory  while running Windows PE based projects.

No matter if MULTIPE or other projects.

There is very simple .exe program, which is able to communicate with Windows API and user can use pagefile, unfortunately, there is problem. Removable devices are not supported, .img file mounted by using IMDisk virtual disk driver, when .img file is stored on USB stick or USB harddrive is not The solution of this issue.

But for SATA and IDE or raid harddrives, where NT kernel is not making issues, program will really work for You. It is suitable to include it inside Windows PE projects, program can be started from .cmd files to autorun some programs.

Download The 32 bits variant of this module from here.

http://www.ltr-data....les/swapadd.zip

It is very glad, that Peter is so smart developer and that he is able to develop new solution to use virtual memory stored on USB stick not inside RAM.

#540 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

multiPE version 070 is uploaded!

What's New in Version 70

• Rearranged certification. pre-082 certification is never used and obsolete. Added certification83 which does not enclose empty lines to calculation.
  • Rearranged portable apps functionality. Added optional portable apps from virtual HD image.
  • Portable apps now also in Vista and Win7 PEs available.
  • Imdisk now also in Vista and Win7 PEs available.
  • Completelly removed Win8 as source.

Peter

#541 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Dear Peter,

Does this version of MULTIPE allows users to use Clamwin portable, ETC when there is no much RAm available? If You have developed The technique to use virtual memory on USB stick.

If Yours technique have not been implemented to The project, would You describe it step by step, You can also send some .reg files here, if it is necessary.

I have tested Windows Xp with imdisk driver, when previously created .img harddisk image have been created and opened by IMDisk, but clever NT core will never allow user to use virtual harddisk as A place for storing virtual memory.

If You have overcomed this restriction, and if it worked for You, would You share Yours programmers technique with us please?

Thank You very much.

With kindness regards.

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel

#542 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I developed with regard to your "ClamWinPortable" question!

So the answer is a clear "YES".

Try to add "!multiPE Portable Apps" and maybe read http://reboot.pro/to...tc/#entry167011

I did not try your description about placing swap file in this virtual hard disk. But I'm sure, you do not need a swap file in the PE.

#543 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Dear Peter,

I would like to valuably please You for help.

I have two questions for help.

1. Would You tell me The internal Window procedure name of The PLAY button located inside winbuilder.exe?

So i could create little Python addon for NVDA, which would activate this procedure when i choose The installation source?

I would like to use The APi function SendMessage

To recall The internal Window procedure of winbuilder.exe, which is being executed after The play button have been activated by left mouse click.

The reason of my attempt is, that there are no many advanced users with no sight in our country like i Am and my goal is to make Yours project available also for users who are not so computer proffesionals like system administrators are.

2 question

I would be very like to translate The user interface of all included scripts to Czech, because no every visually impaired user is familiar with English.

Can i do this by using notepad when line break option will be disabled in this text editor?

Or i will create translation, which will look very bad on The screen, so i should use Winbuilder GUI for this purpose instead?

Thank You very much for Yours answers dear Peter.

I Am The part of one special voice based conference for visually impaired users in our country and Windows PE could dramatically make their life better, but English and problematic PLAY button inside WInbuilder can make it difficult.

I know, that winbuilder.exe can not be simply translated, .po files can not be used, because The source code have not been created to translate it to other languages.

I could translate all strings, but it would overload You too much. If i would do it, You would had to extract all messages from The Pascal source code, and it would require too much time.

Editing .exe in machine code is not legal and can create chaos.

Try to imagine, that i would use binary editor to edit winbuilder.exe directly.

Lets assume, that there is somewhere free binary editor for Windows, which will not add Ascii characters carriage return and line feet every 8000 characters, i do not know The internal limit of editable field in Windows.

I could locate The PLAY

String inside winbuilder.exe.

Czech meaning of this English word is

přehrát

It is more than 4 characters of The word PLAY, so i would had to use Czech acronim of this word, for example

přeh

But i Am afraid, that this intrnal translation of .exe program could create very bad view for sighted users and may be, that Czech characters would not be displaied correctly.

I can play with this fo my private purpose, but if Windows soft kernel will not display error message, i could use this complex algorithm as a alternative to translate applications.

Yes, my idea is very stupid.

There are two proffesional solutions for applycation translations.

1. use applications, where developers created it to translate The displaied messages for users, such as special ascii text file, or by using algorithms included with some Python or C programs for Linux, by editing special ascii translation files.

Last possibility is to use IDE and source code of application to translate it on The level of source code.

Thank You very much for Yours answers dear Peter.

With kindness regards.

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel

#544 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Dear Peter,

Here is The example, when SendMessage APi function can be used to activate The internal Window procedure.

Winamp is very graphically oriented and only by using those calls visually impaired user can use some inaccessible functions.

SendMessage(hwndWinamp,WM_WA_IPC,0,IPC_GET_SHUFFLE)

Get_shuffle is very probably The internal procedure name, some texts are The variable name.

#545 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

First:

Maybe this tutorial helps: http://reboot.pro/to...ine/#entry14153

Second:

Interface values can be changed from outside, and then WinBuilder can be started via command line.

Translation: It is not sufficient to create an [interface_czech]. for full language translation it is also necessary to change the "_default.txt" file which contains the WinBuilder GUI translations.

The number of characters must not necessarily stay constant, as long as the string fits into the available space.

Peter

#546 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Version 71 is uploaded.

What's New in Version 71

• Fixed bug: When the user choosed an unsupported Win8 source, the track-change mechanism scrambled the complete project.

Peter

#547 Ivan Kostov

Ivan Kostov

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hello dear friends. First of all i'm Ivan from serbia. I'm also totaly blind.  I have a few  questions.

1. I several times tryed make win pee based as xp and windows 7 source, but when nvda started i got a some error mesage and no sound, even  with usb headphones. I'm now forgot wich this message exactly but problem with language or something.

2. Dear friend Janusz Chmiel  did you tryed integraded jaws portable in pee project? I know that in earlyer time has problems with integrating jaws but now are possible add Microsoft visual c++ redistributable packages in PEE projects, and also you can extract videointersept.msi and another settup fies from freedomscientific videointercept 32 bit.exe and making scripts. My openion is that jaws portable will be beter solution of nvda for reparing system formating and more.

3. Wich scripts are best for integrated all sound drivers for xp and 7? I'm asked this because all blind people wich wont using Win PEE enviroment don't have usb headphones.

Thanks and best regards for help.

#548 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi Ivan!

Should work with multiPE and every XP source CD. Can you give me a legal URL where I can download the XP source CD you used? I'll try with this.

I already thought about jaws.

What me prohibited was the price. Therefore in May 2012 I asked the jaws company whether I can get a free licence.

Question:

I'm the current developer of WinBuilder, and developed a PE containing NVDA.
I would like to also offer commercial products like JAWS.

The reason which hinders me, you can read here: 
http://reboot.pro/16844/#entry155172
Question: Is it possible to get a free license, because I do not really need the product? Maybe that helps you to sell it some more.

Answer:

Sehr geehrter Herr Schlang,

ich nehme mal an, Sinn und Zweck ihrer Unternehmung ist durchaus der Broterwerb im weitesten Sinn. Und da ist es wie bei uns, die dafür notwendigen Werkzeuge müssen angeschafft werden. Auch wir haben eine große Zahl von Softwarelizenzen angeschafft, dies ausschließlich Testzwecken dienen.

Mfg

Tobias Winnes
Vice President International Sales
Freedom Scientific

It seems that they really do not understand the issue, or do not want to accept that I do every reboot.pro work for no money,

Peter

#549 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Peter, you won't like :dubbio: the Google translate of that German snippet :w00t: :ph34r::

Dear snake,

I guess the meaning and purpose of their venture is quite the livelihood in the broadest sense. And since it is like us, the necessary tools need to be purchased. We have also acquired a large number of software licenses used this test for coordination.

Mfg.

Tobias Winnes

Vice President of International Sales

Freedom Scientific

Maybe you could provide a more suitable hand-made one.... ;)

For NO apparent reason:

Spoiler

:rofl:

Wonko

#550 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

That is my nickname I have had in school.

But where does Google have knowlwedge about this :dubbio:

Today no private data remain private :smart:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win7pe, vistape, multiboot, pe3, livecd, pe2, pe1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users