#1 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

DualPart.png

A portable GUI program for creating a bootable USB device with two partitions.
This utility can work with the command line and this simplifies and speeds up the creation of a bootable USB.
After splitting into two parts, the program can automatically install the bootloader (2 for now) Grub4DOS and Windows NT 6x.
If there are files with the names part1. * and part2. * the program will automatically unpack the data into the appropriate partition.
Supported file formats for unpacking [.iso, .rar, .zip, .7z]
Default bootloader is Windows NT 6x.
The default active partition is first.
Partition label must be in quotes in command line.

/ dr: Disk Number or Tom Letter
/ 1s: size of the first partition.
/ 1f: Format of the first partition.
/ 1l: Label of the first section.
/ 2s: size of the second section.
/ 2f: Format of the second section.
/ 2l: The label of the second section.
/ a: Active partition
/ bl: loader.
/ bf: bootloader file (Grub4DOS).
/ o: Path to the text file with the letters of the created sections. (output)
/ s: Quiet mode (no error and completion window will be displayed).

Formatting is automatically specified depending on the size of the created partition:

1. up to 32mb - FAT
2. up to 4GB - FAT32
3. from 4GB to NTFS

Disk number example:

dualpart.exe / dr: 1 / 1s: 16 / 1f: FAT / 1l: "aa bb cc" / 2f: NTFS / 2l: "dd ee ff" / bl: Grub4dos / bf: g2ldr / a: 1 / o: output.txt / s

Example with the letter of the section:

dualpart.exe / dr: F / 2s: 16 / 1f: NTFS / 1l: "aa bb cc" / 2f: NTFS / 2l: "dd ee ff" / bl: Grub4dos / bf: g2ldr / a: 1 / o: output.txt / s

Minimum command:

dualpart.exe / dr: 1 / 1s: 16

Edited by rradjab, 14 March 2019 - 07:43 AM.

• alacran likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

Nice :) , though IMHO the "granularity" of "s" (size) expressed (seemingly) in MB is not IMHO "accurate" enough.

It would be nice IF it could be possible to have:

bytes (without suffix)

sectors (with suffix S)

Kbytes (with suffix K)

Mbytes (with suffix M)

Gbytes (with suffix G)

Also, there is missing a parameter for the offset (to the first partition), I have to presume that it will use the default since vista 1 MB or 2048 sectors, but since the users base is seemingly that of "advanced" users, it would be nice to be able to specify that (optionally).

Finally (and this is optional-optional) I would see as a plus if the tool could optimize the "hidden sectors" to align FAT/FAT32 volumes.

Quickly tested on XP (and yes I know, and SP2 while we are at it), without actually formatting anything.

BUGS:

1) if NO USB sticks are connected AND there is one of those "combo readers" (CF card/SD card, etc.) the devices are seen as 0 bytes in size (right) BUT clicking on any of them closes the tool

2) If NO USB sticks are connected AND there is one of those "combo readers" (CF card/SD card, etc.) AND the professional mode is selected the devices belonging to the combo reader are seen with the size of the hard disk(s)

Observations:

1) the "dark gray" of the "size" in the UI is a bit too dark and makes it difficult to read the field

2) the "dark blue" of the "Formatr" is waay too dark and when you select another field you cannot read anymore in it

:duff:

Wonko

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

None of my USB disks are displayed unless I click Show All Disks (Win10 x64 - 17763)

If I click Show All Disks - I get a pop-up that says Access Violation and says I may get data corruption.

Does this work on Removable USB drives on Win 7/8 systems (i.e. create 2nd partition)?

#4 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

Nice :) , though IMHO the "granularity" of "s" (size) expressed (seemingly) in MB is not IMHO "accurate" enough.

It would be nice IF it could be possible to have:

bytes (without suffix)

sectors (with suffix S)

Kbytes (with suffix K)

Mbytes (with suffix M)

Gbytes (with suffix G)

Also, there is missing a parameter for the offset (to the first partition), I have to presume that it will use the default since vista 1 MB or 2048 sectors, but since the users base is seemingly that of "advanced" users, it would be nice to be able to specify that (optionally).

Finally (and this is optional-optional) I would see as a plus if the tool could optimize the "hidden sectors" to align FAT/FAT32 volumes.

Quickly tested on XP (and yes I know, and SP2 while we are at it), without actually formatting anything.

BUGS:

1) if NO USB sticks are connected AND there is one of those "combo readers" (CF card/SD card, etc.) the devices are seen as 0 bytes in size (right) BUT clicking on any of them closes the tool

2) If NO USB sticks are connected AND there is one of those "combo readers" (CF card/SD card, etc.) AND the professional mode is selected the devices belonging to the combo reader are seen with the size of the hard disk(s)

Observations:

1) the "dark gray" of the "size" in the UI is a bit too dark and makes it difficult to read the field

2) the "dark blue" of the "Formatr" is waay too dark and when you select another field you cannot read anymore in it

Wonko

thank you for detected bugs and offering.

i will fix them and update application soon.

the offset is 2048 sectors.

I will work on your suggestions :)

None of my USB disks are displayed unless I click Show All Disks (Win10 x64 - 17763)

If I click Show All Disks - I get a pop-up that says Access Violation and says I may get data corruption.

Does this work on Removable USB drives on Win 7/8 systems (i.e. create 2nd partition)?

hm, i will test it. program have to run with admin privileges and it works on XP/7/8/10

Edited by rradjab, 15 March 2019 - 01:26 PM.

#5 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:40 AM

the program was updated.
fixed bugs:
formatting
compatibility with windows xp
disc mapping in 64-bit version
new opportunities:
specify offset
specify the size of the partition in bytes, kilobytes, gigabytes, and sectors
unpacking several ISO files and the possibility of their choice
switch partitions in flash drives (if there are 2 of them)
hide partition
GRUB2 loader
internal drives are displayed in green color

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

unpacking several ISO files and the possibility of their choice
switch partitions in flash drives (if there are 2 of them)

Not sure to understand the above (or how the tool can do that, maybe once the tool has created the two partitions an additional set of possible commands/options appear?)

Most probably only a glitch in the naming:

WINDOWS->BOOTMGR (no NTLDR option?[1])

GRUB4DOS->GRLDR

GRUB->/boot/grub/grub.cfg :w00t: (grub.cfg is a configuration file, like \boot\BCD, BOOT.INI or \menu.lst) 

Changing the size (good :)) of the unit of measure should change also the top window display (now fixed in GB) otherwise most of the usefulness of choosing the unit of measure of the two partitions  is lost.

Observations:

2) the "dark blue" of the "Format" is waay too dark and when you select another field you cannot read anymore in it

Wonko

[1] Not that is actually *needed*, 99.99% of people won't use anymore NTLDR anyway, but maybe Win NT 6+ (or similar may be more accurate)

#7 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

Second line is truncated and I cant see the unit measure (GB or MB?).

Third line is wrong : my disk is 256MB not 256GB.

As a whole, the application seems to be troubled by my custom DPI.

I also recommend to express it all in MB.

I am also confused by the "pro" tick box : looks like one has to tick it anyway to make the program work? remove the option and turn it on by default may be?

pg0x74y.png

#8 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

ops (please help to delete this comment) 

Edited by rradjab, 07 April 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#9 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

Not sure to understand the above (or how the tool can do that, maybe once the tool has created the two partitions an additional set of possible commands/options appear?)

if there are files next to it with the name:
part1_Boot.iso
part2_Systems.iso
a window will appear to select and unpack the images.

program can switch partitions on flash drive to make partiton visible (for users who uses windows from XP to 10 1607)

Most probably only a glitch in the naming:

WINDOWS->BOOTMGR (no NTLDR option?[1])

GRUB4DOS->GRLDR

GRUB->/boot/grub/grub.cfg :w00t: (grub.cfg is a configuration file, like \boot\BCD, BOOT.INI or \menu.lst) 

yes, i changed it to NT 6.x

in other instances it was possible to set the name of the bootloader and even change
but with grub2 there it is impossible to change filename, that why i indicated the name of the configuration file and set this column readonly

Changing the size (good :)) of the unit of measure should change also the top window display (now fixed in GB) otherwise most of the usefulness of choosing the unit of measure of the two partitions  is lost.

i have change it in MB, but i added hint for showing in chosed size.

Second line is truncated and I cant see the unit measure (GB or MB?).

Third line is wrong : my disk is 256MB not 256GB.

As a whole, the application seems to be troubled by my custom DPI.

I also recommend to express it all in MB.

I am also confused by the "pro" tick box : looks like one has to tick it anyway to make the program work? remove the option and turn it on by default may be?

i fixed the problems, but about  problem with dpi im not sure yet

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

if there are files next to it with the name:
part1_Boot.iso

part2_Systems.iso
a window will appear to select and unpack the images.

Pardon me, but I stil don't understand fully.
Are you saying that one can optionally:
1) put in the same directory as the dualpart program
2) one or more files with names hard coded with:
a. a leading "Part_1" or "Part_2"
b. a free core text
c. a fixed .iso extension
:dubbio:

Maybe :unsure: it would be more clear if you make it so that there are (optionally) two sub-directories in the directory where dualpart.exe is:
iso_for_Part_1
iso_for_Part_2
(or similar)
where the user can copy the wanted .iso(s)? (I mean without changing the actual original filename(s))

But then, WHICH .iso's? (most need not to be unpacked at all, and those that actually *need* unpacking need "custom", "specific", on a "case by case basis" unpacking and particular settings in the menu.lst or grub.cfg.

yes, i changed it to NT 6.x

Good :).

in other instances it was possible to set the name of the bootloader and even change
but with grub2 there it is impossible to change filename, that why i indicated the name of the configuration file and set this column readonly

I understand :), but it makes (to me) no sense.
If it is not possible to change the name of the invoked bootmanager, you should IMHO simply have (of course as well read only) "NOT CHANGEABLE" or something to that effect. 

i have change it in MB, but i added hint for showing in chosed size.

Good. :)

Wonko

#11 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

4cbe1ac8c6cf1f973f816b92b70c3e6f.png

idea with folders is too good)

i will think how to realize iso folder in dualpart.ini

#12 rradjab

rradjab

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Azerbaijan

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

Program was updated, whats new :

A unique function has been added to the program - switching partitions depending on the type of drive for compatibility with the OS and loading in UEFI mode (/sm).

possibility of unpacking multiple ISO images
Answer file support - dualpart.ini

example dualpart.ini

part1_label = "Partition 1"
part1_size = "50"
part1_format = "fat16"
part2_label = "Partition 2"
part2_format = "ntfs"
smart_auto_switch = "true"
bootloader = "win"
bootfile = "btmgr"
active_part = "1"
hidden_part = "1"
offset = "2048"
size_in = "m"

Commands:

dualpart.exe /dr:1 /1s:16 /1f:FAT /1l:"Partition 1" /2f:NTFS /2l:"Partition 2" /bl:Grub4dos /bf:g2ldr /ac:1 /hi:1 /of:128 /sz:m /ou:output.txt /sm /s 

dualpart.exe /dr:F: /1s:16 /1f:FAT /1l:"Partition 1" /2f:NTFS /2l:"Partition 2" /bl:Grub4dos /bf:g2ldr /ac:1 /hi:1 /of:128 /sz:m /ou:output.txt /sm /s 

Edited by rradjab, 14 April 2019 - 07:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multiboot, dualpart, usb format, two partition, ra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users