Photo
- - - - -

How to restore drivers from an "offline" Windows installation.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Computers,movies,read/write,talking about philosophy and religion.
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to export device drivers from a working Windows XP installation and import them into a new one from the commandline interface. I've found these free tools and did some tests. No one worked for me,I hope you can try them also to check if they have problems or if I wrong something.

I did tests with :

1) Double Driver 4.0 (http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm)

2) Driver Backup! 2.0 (http://sourceforge.n...ojects/drvback/)

3) Smart Driver Backup 2.12 (http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20555)

4) DriverGeek

The O/S with which I did tests is Windows XP Home SP3. These are the drivers missing when I install Windows XP Home SP3 for the first time. Usually I install them using the original CD/ROM of my motherboard,M4N82 Deluxe (NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI Chipset Support DVD rev.405.03).

--Drivers

-AMD

-C&Q -AMD AM2 Cool'n'Quiet Driver V1.3.2.0 (Package Version 1.3.2.0053) for Windows XP and Windows 64bit XP.(WHQL)
AMD AM2+ Cool&Quiet Driver V1.0.0.0 (Package Version 1.3.2.0053) for Windows XP and Windows 64bit XP.(WHQL)(CPU:AM2+)

-Chipset

-XP -NVIDIA nForce MCP72/78 Chipset Package Driver V15.24 (Chipset Driver V4.6.9.0) for Windows XP.(WHQL)
-XP64 -NVIDIA nForce MCP72/78 Chipset Package Driver V15.24 (Chipset Driver V4.6.9.0) for Windows 64bit XP.(WHQL)
-Vista32 -NVIDIA nForce MCP72/78 Chipset Package Driver V15.24 (Chipset Driver V4.6.9.0) for Windows Vista.(WHQL)
-Vista64 -NVIDIA nForce MCP72/78 Chipset Package Driver V15.24 (Chipset Driver V4.6.9.0) for Windows 64bit Vista.(WHQL)
-Windows7 -NVIDIA nForce MCP72/78 Chipset Package Driver V15.37 for Windows 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)
-RIS -NVIDIA Ethernet RIS Driver V67.7.2.

-RAID

-AHCI -NVIDIA MCP72/78 AHCI Driver files for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista.
-NVIDIA MCP72/78 AHCI Driver files for Windows 32/64bit 7.
-RAID -NVIDIA MCP72/78 RAID Driver files for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista.
-NVIDIA MCP72/78 RAID Driver files for Windows 32/64bit 7.
-MakeDisk
-AHCI -Make NVIDIA MCP72/78 AHCI Driver Disk for Windows 32/64bit XP.
-RAID -Make NVIDIA MCP72/78 RAID Driver Disk for Windows 32/64bit XP.

-Realtek

-Realtek ALC1200 Audio Driver V5.10.0.5735 for Windows XP & Windows 64bit XP.(WHQL)
-Realtek ALC1200 Audio Driver V6.0.1.5735 for Windows Vista & Windows 64bit Vista.(WHQL)
-Windows 7 -Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.5859 for Windows 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)

Here I explain how I used these drivers tools :

PHASE 1 : Backup device drivers taking them from C:\Windows

1) Double Driver 4.0

On a new Windows XP Home SP3 installation,I did the backup of the device drivers :

ddc b /source:"c:\Windows" /target:"c:\doubledriver"

it says :

Command :: b (backup)
Source :: c:\Windows
Target :: c:\doubledriver

Scanning registry ... Done
Backing-up drivers ... Done

Device drivers have been backupped succesfully on the folder c:\doubledriver

2) Driver Backup! 2.0

On a new Windows XP Home SP3 installation,the first thing I did has been to install the .NET Framework 2.0,and then I did the backup of the device drivers :

drvbk MODE="BACKUP" BKPATH="C:\driverbackup" BKDESC="device drivers backup" BKFILE="Backup.bki" BKPATHFTM="Drivers %COMPUTERNAME%_%DATE%" BKDEVFMT="%DEVNAME%" OPT="HR"

Device drivers have been backupped succesfully on the folder c:\driverbackup

3) Smart Driver Backup 2.12

On a new Windows XP Home SP3 installation I did the backup of the device drivers :

smartdriverbackup_console /save:nonms /win:"c:\windows" /dest:"c:\smartdriverbackup"

Device drivers have been saved succesfully on the folder c:\smartdriverbackup

PHASE 2 : Restore device drivers to a fresh Windows XP Home SP3 installation

The first thing I did has been to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Home SP3 which lacks the main drivers and then I tried to restore the device drivers previously backupped with :

1) Double Driver 4.0

ddc r /source:"c:\doubledriver"

it says :

Command :: r (restore)
Source :: c:\doubledriver
Target ::

Scanning backup ... Done
Restoring drivers ... Done

The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

I click on continue several times and then it asks to specify the location of a lot of files that aren't neither inside the Windows folder nor inside c:\doubledriver.

Conclusion : this tool didn't work for me.

2) Driver Backup! 2.0

I reinstalled the .NET framework 2.0 and then I tried to restore the previously backupped drivers,like this :

drvbk MODE="RESTORE" BKFILE="Backup.bki" RSPATH="c:\driverbackup\Drivers" OPT="APLN"

it says :

The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

I click on continue several times and then it says that has been processed 7 device drivers,but after I have restarted the computer,it seems that the drivers haven't been installed at all.

it has not an option to restore the drivers,so I don't know how to do it.

4) DriverGeek can't take drivers from an "offline" Windows installation,but only from the Driver Packages.

Please can someone try to check if these tools don't work due a specific problem
of my configuration ? Please someone knows any OTHER FREEWARE program to suggest ?
Or some other method to achieve the same result ? If so,please post a link.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

it has not an option to restore the drivers,so I don't know how to do it.

http://www.911cd.net...o...20555&st=69

Some people have used DriverForge to reinstall their drivers. DriverForge is a program that will automatically install all drivers from a specified location.
http://sourceforge.n...ts/driverforge/

DriverForge has been replaced by DriverGeek:
http://www.msfn.org/...iver-installer/

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 WetHat

WetHat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

I'm trying to export device drivers from a working Windows XP installation and import them into a new one from the commandline interface.

I did not use any of the drive backup tools you mentioned, but I do use Diver Magician Lite quite often (sucessfully :cheers: ). However, this tool does not have a command line interface.

WetHat

#4 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

I would like to find and/or contrbuite to create a tool that works without asking users what to do.

#5 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Do you think that is a good idea to monitors the Registry changes made by the device drivers when they are installed the first time and then creates a standard RegEdit registration file (.reg) that contains all the Registry changes ? We could use the generated .reg file to import these changes with RegEdit and restore them to a new Windows installation.

#6 WetHat

WetHat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

Do you think that is a good idea to monitors the Registry changes made by the device drivers when they are installed the first time and then creates a standard RegEdit registration file (.reg) that contains all the Registry changes ? We could use the generated .reg file to import these changes with RegEdit and restore them to a new Windows installation.

That works. I did this at several occasions. I'm using these tools to do that:
  • TrackWinstall to track registry and file system changes. This tool works brute force by comparing registry and file system before and after the installation
  • Sandboxie. Uses virtualization to keep all changes made by any installer in a sandbox. Very convenient for script development as the sandbox can be explored and any changes made to the system (files and registry entries) can be found easily.
  • To inspect offline registry files (e.g the offline registry files created by Sandboxie) the MiTec Windows Registry Recovery tool is very handy
Good luck!

WetHat

#7 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Another idea to avoid that a fresh installation of Windows XP/Vista asks to install the missing drivers could be to convert a virtual Windows installation created using VMware or VirtualBOX into a physical installation ? Or use the virtual/universal drivers inside a physical installation ?

#8 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

I've had good results using IcemanND's driver backup:
http://www.msfn.org/...kup-t83960.html
then adding them to an XP install disk, with winnt.sif having:
OemPnPDriversPath="\Drivers"

#9 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

Dog,can you explain which kind of procedure you used,thanks.

#10 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

On a working xp machine I'd run the DriverBackup2183.exe (with mscomctl.ocx in the same folder). I think I backed up just the non-MS drivers, and ticked the box to avoid duplicate files.
Then I merged all the files into as few folders as possible, and burned a new xp install cd with these folders included.
In the \I386\winnt.sif file use a line something like:
OemPnPDriversPath="\Drivers\1;\Drivers\2"
to tell xp where to find the drivers, and they should get installed automatically during xp install.
http://unattended.ms.../unattended.xp/

#11 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Hello,

I tried to make an unattended installation from Windows XP 32 bit to a new Windows XP 32 bit. The installation starts from the file unattend_xp32-xp32.bat :

where :

drive d: is the drive where are saved the Windows XP installation files
drive e: is the usb key

unattend_xp32-xp32.bat

@echo off

set drive1=e:
set drive2=d:
set AnswerFile=%drive1%\reinstallazione\unattend\AutoUnattend_XP.txt
set SetupFiles=%drive2%\xp32\i386
%setupfiles%\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile%

this is the autounattend configuration file :

AutoUnattend_XP.txt

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
DriverSigningPolicy=ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=ignore

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
OemPnPDriversPath="C:\Drivers"
;TargetPath=\Win

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=110
OemSkipWelcome=1
ProfilesDir="C:\Documents and Settings_new"

[GuiRunOnce]

c:\reinstallazione\fase4.bat

[UserData]
ProductKey=
FullName="no"
OrgName="no"
ComputerName=*

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=39

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale=00000410
UserLocale=00000410
InputLocale=0410:00000410

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

the installation starts and ends without problems,except for the fase4.bat file. When Windows XP tries to find it,it can't because I've not put it there. I've put all the drivers inside the single folder at C:\Drivers,but Windows XP doesn't start the restore at all. Any idea about why ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users