32 replies to this topic

#26 topbrass1960

topbrass1960

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

have had the same problem on much larger drives this seems to fix it perform the followong

1. open command prompt
2. type diskpart [Enter]
3. list disk (USB flash drive will show in the list - disk number can be verified via disk
managment)
4. sel disk 1 (or correct disk number)
5. clean
6. create par primary
7. sel par 1
8. act
9. format fs=fat32
10. exit

Edited by topbrass1960, 01 October 2010 - 11:58 PM.

#27 Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, topbrass1960. The flash drive seems to be okay. I can update files on it and it is recognized on other PCs. I sent the netbook off to a place that reflashes the BIOS, so we'll see what success they have. I've noted the suggestion nevertheless, for the next time my flashdrive craps out.

Cheers, Larry

#28 loopers

loopers
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

2 years after this thread was started, this bug gave me a headache before, but I found a solution that I hope might help others save time and frustration:

I had the same symptom as Larry, ie, a "Space isn't sufficient" message box even for Damn Small Linux, which is a 50M distribution. I use Win 7.

The root of the problem in my case is that I was running Sardu 2.05 from a NAS (network share), and as soon as I copied it to the C: drive and ran from there, the USB drive was configured without errors.

I believe the problem is that Win7 added some new 'security', where programs residing on network shares don't run without a 'security' prompt. So when Sardu attempted to run the 7zip utility in the same directory, windows probably denied the execution request, which Sardu assumed it is because of 'insufficient space'.

I suggest to the author to fix this bug, either by interpreting and reporting the error correctly, or changing the implementation so that no other .exe are run as subprocesses, and instead import the needed 7zip routines directly from a dll. Or both.

Thanks for an otherwise useful utility, and I hope this helps someone.

#29 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

SARDU isn't tested using the NAS.. SARDU don't works fine with addresses http:// or class of IP

Do you use a network folder ? One my friend have tested fine with a network folder for the ISOs

#30 loopers

loopers
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

SARDU isn't tested using the NAS.. SARDU don't works fine with addresses http:// or class of IP

Do you use a network folder ? One my friend have tested fine with a network folder for the ISOs

The NAS looks like a shared folder. Keeping the ISO's in a network folder works fine. However, if the SARDU executable itself is in a network folder, the windows default security settings prevent it from executing 7zip.exe from shared folders. Once I copied the SARDU executable to the "C:" drive (which is the system drive in my case), Windows allowed it to run 7zip.exe and it worked correctly.

#31 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

I haven't make test. Can you make test using the 7z version for DOS ?

#32 loopers

loopers
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

You can create a network share and use it yourself (assuming win7):

1. Right click on the Sardu-2.05 directory on your hard drive, select "Share with", just click the "Share" button, then "Done". This creates a network share accessible only by yourself
2. type "YOURCOMPUTER" in the Explorer address bar, and Enter.
3. Double Click on the "Sardu-2.05" network share that appears
4. Double Click on "Sardu.exe", select an ISO, then click on either "create USB" or "create ISO" - they both result in "Insufficient space..."

Alternately, you can map the network share you created to a drive letter by right clicking on the network share in step 3, and selecting "Map network drive..." instead.

In this way you can access your local folder through a network setting, and thus subject to network security settings, as opposed to local security settings, as in win7 they are quite different.

Cheers

#33 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Can you make test using the 7z version for DOS ?

My opinion? don't works fine for // but...I wait for the result of your test :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users