Photo
- - - - -

What Files are Needed to Work with OEM i386?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

Tried to start a LiveXP build with my Dell i386 taken directly from the Dell Reinstall WinXP CD. After dl the i386 dir to my HDD tried to run LiveXP using "Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!" by amalux
I gave source path on 1st screen as mentioned "Click on Paths tab and choose the path to either your XP-SP2 CD or the folder you copied its contents into on your hard drive (recommended). This is the folder that contains everything you copied from your Windows installation CD (Example: "E:\XPPSP2")." and that seemed OK but it would not let me continue.

Am guessing that my Dell CD is missing something.

If someone is using a Dell or other brand OEM WinXP CD and it works please let me know and will I will do a file comparison to check what is different.

Thanks

Gene

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

download X11-03905.iso from microsoft, use it as source for livexp :huh:

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

You can also use the program from here to turn a reinstallation OEM version into more of a full version: http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi Genosmm, :huh: ,

Yes I have to admit some quirky recognition of source files with WinBuilder [074]. If I navigate to the source folder I386 (XP) the "Continue" Button remains grayed out. However if I set WinBuilder to the source file folder the "Continue" button becomes available. WinBuilder must do some checks to find certain files or folders within a given tree/path, I surmise e.g.
Posted Image
NOT:
Posted Image

Would have expected the I386 folder to be the primary folder in searching for the Source files but what do I know anyway LOL?

Hope this helps!

All the best,

ispy :huh:

P.S. - @ Galapo - There is no thanks button, So here's my Thanks for the link to the program [THANKS!]

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

The "basic" approach for DELL (or similar OEM) owners is to re-create from the files in the OEM CD+ Service Packs a "standard" CD.

The procedure is one that needs some time and patience, but unfortunately each OEM has his own "ways" and OEM CD's shipped with different models of the same brand often have different contents.

There are a couple of patches specific for DELL's but they may or may not work with your particular source.

Read these:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16381
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=14290
http://www.msfn.org/...th-t120423.html

AND links threin.

Search on 911cd for keyword "fixdell.cmd" and "fixdellxp.cab" and "fixdell".

Post if you need further help :huh:, though of course, not having the "same" source, all I can give you is "general" advice.

jaclaz

#6 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

ISpy,
"Yes I have to admit some quirky recognition of source files with WinBuilder [074]. If I navigate to the source folder I386 (XP) the "Continue" Button remains grayed out. However if I set WinBuilder to the source file folder the "Continue" button becomes available. WinBuilder must do some checks to find certain files or folders within a given tree/path, I surmise e.g.
Posted Image
NOT:
Posted Image

Would have expected the I386 folder to be the primary folder in searching for the Source files but what do I know anyway LOL?"

Mine Looks different just a gray background and continue button (no checkmark) and when double click nothing happens.

Just tried using an Acer I386 as source same thing. Also both were from WinXP SP2 CDs

#7 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Galapo,

Thanks for the tip and link! http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder

Have just dl it but not opened because am not using my Dell.

Any tips because my German is Very Poor? The Screen Shots seem helpful. http://winfuture.de/...B...php&id=1910

G

#8 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Lancelot,

"download X11-03905.iso from microsoft, use it as source for livexp"

Thanks! If Everything Fails will Give Up and dl it. Only Prob is the Size! Over 1GB? Will take some time.

G

#9 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

jaclaz

Thanks for the Tips and Links!

Both the Acer and Dell WinXP ReInstall CDs are SP2.

Will double check that I did not leave out something.

G

#10 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

Only Prob is the Size! Over 1GB?

Don't know, mine is only 594 518 016 bytes
the first ISO image file is enough

#11 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hi Genosmm,

What version of WinBuilder are you using mine is [074]?

Okay, Oop's my blunder, yes! I see what has happened in my case from the 1st screen "Source Directory" I inputted the wrong path to the source, clicked on the green triangle & because I had selected the wrong source it envoked the source wizard tab which is as per screenshots. If you want the Source wizard screen deliberately put in the wrong path within the checkbox (1st screen) & click on the green triangle. Then input the right path & see if you get the green tick mark, although I fail to see how the source wizard is going to do anything differently?

Is WinBuilder possibly a bad download:
My checksum is 811BCA0BB1F9252DC22C206A58F14159 for WinBuilder [074]
check yours!
Sorry for the confusion!

Regards,

P.S. Galapo's little program has english forums see here: http://www.winfuture...hp?showforum=81
Also if you look at top right of the web-siate page you will notice an English/American flag for english translation! or see this http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

#12 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:00 AM

Any tips because my German is Very Poor?

Yeah, sure: click the American flag which takes you to the English page to download an English version. Here's the link, too: http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

Regards,
Galapo.

#13 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

Only Prob is the Size! Over 1GB?

Don't know, mine is only 594 518 016 bytes
the first ISO image file is enough

566mb

Thanks again a lot dera, :huh:

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

The source path wizard for XP is working exactly as expected and only allows to select a path as valid if a few key files are found inside this folder, it was meant to be used when the person uses the XP install CD directly from the CD drive or copies the whole folder to disk where other folders besides I386 can be found.

You can't use the I386 folder directly as it wouldn't work anyways and would expect to copy system files from I386\I386 on this case.

So the best solution is creating a folder like "c:\OEM" and copy I386 as a subfolder to "c:\OEM".

"c:\OEM" should then become a valid path structure that should be fine to be accepted by the source wizard and valid for this project.

:huh:

#15 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi Gene :) ,
Unable to reply to your private message as the following error is reported!

The following errors were found
This message can not be sent because the recipient's in box is full.
This personal message has not been sent

@ Nuno, Many thanks for your clarification on the source files!

G, I have a small portable util that will indicate the checksum of a file & even if you find that your copy of WinBuilder is in fact OK, performing checksums on files is a very good habit to get into. Any discrepancies in size or any alterations from the original will be highlighted with an MD5 checksum Check. I have a free portable program if you require to perform a checksum check together with a brief Tut on its usage.

1 thing, DO NOT post your "E" address on this or any forum for that matter but send your "E" address in a private message PM. Unlike you my PM box is relatively empty hint hint :huh:

R&R,

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

Also created a portable MD5 app, look here: http://nunobrito.eu/...load.php?view.4

Small sized and runnable under win9x,winNT and Wine.

:huh:

#17 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi N/G :huh: ,

Or this, the tut & MD5 checker are enclosed!

R&R,

Attached Files

#18 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Everyone!

Finally working and found my problem.

Did what I should have done when LiveXP did not start. Put in the Dell WinXP CD as the source path. Works! Must have left out something critical when transferred. There is a lot of extras that wanted to eliminate.

My test PC does not have a burner so stopped at burner stage.

At first I do not make an ISO or if do only test it virtually.

Have screen capture of end error message if anyone is interested.

G

#19 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

genosmm

disable imgburn iso script :huh: (Finish --> 4 Burn Image -->ImgBurn ISO)

I am glad you make your livexp work :huh:

#20 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

Galapo,

Thanks for the link http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

Have downloaded but have not opened because I am not using my PC.

Is there an English Manual/Guide/Tutorial that explains all the features?

Did a search but nothing so far.

G

#21 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

Lancelot,

"disable imgburn iso script :huh: (Finish --> 4 Burn Image -->ImgBurn ISO)"

You are Light Years ahead of me!

I know nothing about scripts. While I have used most vers of Windows and know how to use DOS FDISK and Format most everything else is new to me. Was only installing Win9X until recently. Guess am the perfect newbie test user because if I can understand the instructions almost everyone else will be able to.

Please tell me how and I will follow your instructions.

Thanks again for your help!

G

#22 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

Lancelot,

"disable imgburn iso script :huh: (Finish --> 4 Burn Image -->ImgBurn ISO)"

You are Light Years ahead of me!

I know nothing about scripts. While I have used most vers of Windows and know how to use DOS FDISK and Format most everything else is new to me. Was only installing Win9X until recently. Guess am the perfect newbie test user because if I can understand the instructions almost everyone else will be able to.

Please tell me how and I will follow your instructions.

Thanks again for your help!

G

Hi Gene!

Nice to finally meet you here in the forum! To answer your question, just open WinBuilder interface; in the tree view on the left side, browse to 'Finish' and uncheck 'Burn Image' option, like this:
unchk.JPG

p.s. Keep the ISO, you can always burn it to CD later when you get a burner :huh:

#23 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

amalux,

"Nice to finally meet you here in the forum!" Finally worked up to courage to try to solve why it was not working.

"To answer your question, just open WinBuilder interface; in the tree view on the left side, browse to 'Finish' and uncheck 'Burn Image' option, like this:
unchk.JPG " Thanks!!! Will WinBuilder remember that I changed this option or do I have to do this every time it starts?

"p.s. Keep the ISO, you can always burn it to CD later when you get a burner" I do have a LiteOn Burner but want to test these 1st attempts both virtually and using HDD to HDD transfers.

As prev mentioned have been doing Win9X installs using Very Slow CD drives so really like HDD to HDD installs and it is Soo Easy with Win9X (Am using Real MS Win95 to Win98SE CDs).

Wish someone would make an easy to follow Tutorial for WinXP installs on Desktops using HDD to HDD. Maybe there is one but I have not found it. Would like to Skip Booting from a Win9X rescue floppy and just start Setup in either Win9X or WinXP. Am I asking too much?

G

#24 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

As prev mentioned have been doing Win9X installs using Very Slow CD drives so really like HDD to HDD installs and it is Soo Easy with Win9X (Am using Real MS Win95 to Win98SE CDs).

Wish someone would make an easy to follow Tutorial for WinXP installs on Desktops using HDD to HDD. Maybe there is one but I have not found it. Would like to Skip Booting from a Win9X rescue floppy and just start Setup in either Win9X or WinXP. Am I asking too much?

for win95/98 install, with some dos usage it is faster
1) create an empty formated primary partition (fat16 or fat32)
2) create a folder C:\Windows\1win
3) copy win98 or win95 folder in setup cd of windows 95 or windows 98 to C:\Windows\1win
4) use setup.exe in C:\Windows\1win\ folder to start setup

1-2-3 steps can be done by livexp, paragon part. manager is in livexp which will help you create partition.
for 4th step, use a dos boot diskette (or maybe cd), and by learning some simple commands of dos (which you can find by google) you can easly start setup
for a start
after booting with a dos diskette (popular: win98 boot diskette)
you see a screen
A:\>
write
C:
than enter, than write
cd Windows
and enter
than write
cd 1win
and enter
than write
setup.exe
and enter.

that is all, pattern is simple and you can get extra info from internet.

nearly same method is available by using fat32 for winxp.

Also a cd can be prepared to setup winxp/win98 with one cd, you should work hard about it, bcdw is a very good cd bootmanager that you can study. Also look bcdw site and msfn.org for extra info.

before asking further questions, i advice you to read amalux tutorial http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4111
also learn vmware/virtual box which are very good emulators to make practice with kind of stuffs you ask.

Good luck :huh:

#25 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

amalux,

"To answer your question, just open WinBuilder interface; in the tree view on the left side, browse to 'Finish' and uncheck 'Burn Image' option, like this:
unchk.JPG " Thanks again! Followed you instructions and finished!!!

Only 1 Error. Tried to copy from WinBuilder Log Screen using the std Win rt click but got nothing. Here it is:
"Failed to copy [D:\I386\NTOSKRNL.EX_] to [C:\LiveXP\Lx40308ln\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32]"

Did a JPG Screen Capture and saved the log as html.

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users