56 replies to this topic

#26 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Right ShaO. My bad. I downloaded the wrong one. So I now have VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.i386.bundle which goes with ReactOS-0.3.13-REL-vmware.zip, right?

So now how do I make it run? I tried double clicking on VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.i386.bundle and it seems Fedora is trying to open it as a text file. Do I need to unbundle it and if so with what?

#27 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

Meanwhile I'm also trying to verify that the XP CD is good. MedEvil suggested using ISOBuster and I also realized ImgBurn also has this functionality but, having tried both, each time I open the browse window, the software is asking me to choose a constituent folder or file, in other words for example the i386 folder. This is surely not what I thought would happen. Shouldn't it just scan the CD and tell me if it's defective or not. What do I do when I choose the CD in the browse window and it then goes into the levels of the folders, etc? I've tried selecting and nothing happens.

#28 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

I should mention that what I mean is I was hoping to verify the integrity of the data as I was telling MedEvil over the weekend that I think the disk itself may be damaged but I wonder if I might be able to burn a new disk. The thing is, as MedEvil points out, I cannot open the i386 folder while seeing the contents of the disk open on Desktop which may in and of itself indicate that the data is corrupted. Do you agree ShaO that this may render the mission futile anyway?

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

The feature i was talking about, will read the CD and give you error messages for each block it can't successfully read.
The comparison feature, is not what i was talking about.

;)

#30 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

So I now have VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.i386.bundle which goes with ReactOS-0.3.13-REL-vmware.zip, right?

Right. Inside the .ZIP file will be a directory. Extract that directory from the archive. Inside that extracted directory will be a .VMX file, which should be opened with VMware Player.

So now how do I make it run?

Does VMware's website have any instructions for how to install it?

...Do you agree...that this may render the mission futile anyway?

You can try capturing an .ISO of the disc itself. A tool I enjoy for this is DD. There is DD for Windows where you'd do:

dd if=\\.\CdRom0 of=c:\winxp.iso bs=2048 --progress

Or if you are using Linux and the disc is in the drive, you could use Linux' DD:

dd if=/dev/cdrom0 of=~/winxp.iso bs=2048

If DD encounters read errors before it has read all blocks from the disc, it should let you know.

#31 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

I find VMware's website to be unnavigable. It's overwhelming. I sent them a help request but haven't heard back.

Thanks for the link ShaO. I looked down the page. Wouldn't the following be what I would need?
Rip an .iso from a CD
dd if=\\?\Device\CdRom0 of=c:\temp\disc1.iso bs=1M

I don't see dd if=/dev/cdrom0 of=~/winxp.iso bs=2048 on this page.

Where does that code go anyway? Into a terminal?

#32 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

I looked down the page.

What page?

Wouldn't the following be what I would need?
Rip an .iso from a CD

I wasn't quoting any page. I wrote the commands as I use them. If you've found another bit of information about DD for Windows, that has nothing to do with that post.

I don't see dd if=/dev/cdrom0 of=~/winxp.iso bs=2048 on this page.

What page? I gave two samplings of DD usage: One for DD for Windows and one for Linux DD. They both should accomplish the same result.

Where does that code go anyway? Into a terminal?

Correct.

#33 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

If you are not familiar with Command Prompt and you want to "rip" a .iso from media, you might find *any* of these more handy:
LCisocreator
http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php

Cd2iso:
http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/

Cd2iso:
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/cd2iso/

;)
Wonko

#34 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Sorry for the confusion ShaO. I was referring to the page at the link you had provided:
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

That is where I copied and pasted
Rip an .iso from a CD
from.

Thanks Wonko. I'm going to start investigating those links now.

Do you all agree that I should be able to open the i386 folder on Dektop if the data is not corrupted somehow?

#35 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

Well I went to http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/ and downloaded the freeware and found it to be very user-friendly. As I've mentioned earlier, I have used ImgBurn in the past and did burn the ISO to a fresh disk using ImgBurn. ImgBurn gave me no indication of anything amiss. It seemed the process went flawlessly but, to my great disappointment, when I tried to boot from it. I got the familiar "Press any key to boot from CD." and then nothing at all after pressing any key.

#36 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:05 AM

Do you all agree that I should be able to open the i386 folder on Dektop if the data is not corrupted somehow?

That could very well be a sign that there is a problem with the disc.

Your problem is that the CD is defective.
If Fedora is not able to open the i386 folder, then i guess that the CD bootloader has the same problem and therefore the CD can't continue.
Making a copy of the CD is a good idea, however i doubt that this is still an option. You know, you have to be able to read the CD perfectly at least once, if you want to make a copy. :happy_dance:

Well I went to http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/ and downloaded the freeware and found it to be very user-friendly. As I've mentioned earlier, I have used ImgBurn in the past and did burn the ISO to a fresh disk using ImgBurn. ImgBurn gave me no indication of anything amiss. It seemed the process went flawlessly but, to my great disappointment, when I tried to boot from it. I got the familiar "Press any key to boot from CD." and then nothing at all after pressing any key.

That's really too bad.

I would not have expected recording software to have had a problem with the .ISO file as much as I might have expected your imaging software to have reported read errors while it was copying the disc to an .ISO file.

There's a possibility that the data on the disc is the problem, then. Where did the CD come from?

Is this a "hologram" original Cd or a copy (possibly modifiied)?

(Apologies if I missed the answer.)

How are you getting along with trying out ReactOS to give your special application a try?

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

I am evidentyly missing something.
If you suspect the actual CD has been badly recorded VERIFY it:
http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/
obviously, if the media is OK, but the actual .iso was created improperly, it won't boot. (and if you cannot access the contents of \I386, it won't work, of course)
From what you report it does sound like a badly burned CD/DVD.

:smiling9:
Wonko

#38 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

It seems MedEvil's comment of 23 April was right on the money when he contributed:
'Your problem is that the CD is defective.
If Fedora is not able to open the i386 folder, then i guess that the CD bootloader has the same problem and therefore the CD can't continue.
Making a copy of the CD is a good idea, however I doubt that this is still an option. You know, you have to be able to read the CD perfectly at least once, if you want to make a copy.'

As far as the answer to Wonko's original question of whether or not this a "hologram" original Cd or a copy (possibly modified), no ShaO, you didn't miss the answer. I neglected to respond that truthfully I am not sure how I came to have this disk but it is a copy. I'm not sure what is meant by a 'hologram'. Anyway of all the disks to get damaged as luck would have it, this one is useless.

And No, Wonko, you didn't miss anything. I did. It's not so much that I missed it but I just did what is referred to sometimes as putting the cart before the horse. It turns out I could have saved a disk. MedEvil recommended earlier on that I run a CD integrity check. I should of course have down that before burning a new disk yesterday but I had run into complications with trying to do that with ISOBuster and the same issue with ImgBurn which is supposed to also be able to check the CD for problems. I just ran the check now via CDCheck with the newly burned disk in the drive and indeed:
Process completed successfully - Errors were detected.

As it regards ReactOS, I was finding the whole VMWare dimension too involved so I decided to just burn ReactOS's ISO to disk (as that is a process I am comfortable with) and I am just after installing it successfully on the available drive. Now, how in the world does one get on the internet in ReactOS? Unlike Fedora 14 and any Windows OS I've ever seen, there is no browser built in that I could find. I spent a good deal of time clicking around and could not for the life of me figure out how to get online.

#39 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

As it regards ReactOS, I was finding the whole VMWare dimension too involved so I decided to just burn ReactOS's ISO to disk (as that is a process I am comfortable with) and I am just after installing it successfully on the available drive. Now, how in the world does one get on the internet in ReactOS? Unlike Fedora 14 and any Windows OS I've ever seen, there is no browser built in that I could find. I spent a good deal of time clicking around and could not for the life of me figure out how to get online.

I wonder if Firefox for Windows would run on ReactOS... ReactOS aims for Windows compatibility...

#40 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hello again ShaO. You mentioned you've downloaded ReactOS at some point in the past. Did you ever have occasion to go on the internet within it? Do you still have it up and running somewhere?

As it regards Firefox, the question is how I would get it there since it would need to be downloaded. Can I open the drive in 'Computer' on Desktop in Fedora and drag Firefox in there to the other drive on which ReactOS is now deployed?

#41 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Download FF or Opera for Windows in Fedore and copy it over to ReactOS. Then start ReactOS and install the browser.
Or .... you could download the program, you actually wanna test, with Fedora and skip the whole browser install. ;)

And remember, ReactOS is still highly experimental. A lot of things that work fine on Windows, do not so on ReactOS.

:cheers:

#42 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi MedEvil. When you say 'Download FF or Opera for Windows in Fedora and copy it over to ReactOS. Then start ReactOS and install the browser, you do mean open the drive in 'Computer' on Desktop in Fedora and copy Firefox in there to the other drive on which ReactOS is now deployed, right? Assuming I understood properly, can I then run it in that window or do I need to boot into that other drive? My guess is I do have to reboot into the drive with ReactOS on it but maybe running it from this Desktop is possible kind of like the virtual machine?

I didn't get what you meant by 'Or .... you could download the program, you actually wanna test, with Fedora and skip the whole browser install'. The program that won't run in Fedora is the whole reason for trying it with ReactOS.

#43 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Since the whole VMWare thing didn't work out for you, i'm afraid you will need to boot into ReactOS after having copied the browser into the ReactOS partition.

I didn't get what you meant by 'Or .... you could download the program, you actually wanna test, with Fedora and skip the whole browser install'. The program that won't run in Fedora is the whole reason for trying it with ReactOS.

I simply assumed, that you want to install a browser in ReactOS, so that you can download the program to ReactOS, you have troubles with.
So instead of downloading a browser with Fedora and running it in ReactOS, to then download the problem program, you could simply, download the problem program with Fedora, copy it over to the ReactOS partition, boot into ReactOS and skip the browser download and install step.
But as i said, i just assumed, that's what you wanted to do.

;)

#44 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hello again...

Hello. :cheers:

You mentioned you've downloaded ReactOS at some point in the past. Did you ever have occasion to go on the internet within it? Do you still have it up and running somewhere?

Does ReactOS support any of the network interfaces on the computer you installed it to? Try booting ReactOS, then opening up a Command Prompt and entering:

ipconfig /all

If you have an IP address, you're in luck.

ReactOS comes with an FTP client. You can exchange files with another computer on your network, or even the Internet. For example:

C:\ReactOS\system32>ftp

ftp> open

(to) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

220 (vsFTPd 2.0.7)

Name (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:none): anonymous

331 Please specify the password.

Password: xxxxxx

230 Login successful.

ftp> binary

200 Switching to Binary mode.

ftp> get nc.exe

227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx)

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for nc.exe (61440 bytes).

226 File send OK.

61440 bytes received in 0.0 seconds (4001 Kbytes/s)

ftp> quit

221 Goodbye.

That is just an example download. However, nc.exe is NetCat for Windows, and is also handy!

On another computer (Linux, Windows, whatever) with purplewhiteman_setup.exe in the current working directory, you'd do:

nc -l -p 8413 -w 6 < purplewhiteman_setup.exe

And on ReactOS, you'd do:

C:\ReactOS\system32>nc xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8413 > purplewhiteman_setup.exe

Once the server end completes, you must press <CONTROL><C> on the client (ReactOS) end. Then you will have accomplished... A simple TCP file transfer! Let's find out if it installs.

C:\ReactOS\system32>purplewhiteman_setup.exe

As it regards Firefox, the question is how I would get it there since it would need to be downloaded.

Did you take a look around ReactOS or do some reading before asking that question? Did you happen to spot the ReactOS Applications Manager right on the desktop? ;)

#45 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

Sorry MedEvil. I didn't get your meaning at first. You're right. The inability to get onto the internet is secondary as I already have EZTrader (the problem program) downloaded to the Fedora 14 Desktop where it won't run. I did copy it over to the ReactOS Desktop and here is what happened when I double clicked on it:

.NET Required
This setup requires the .NET Framework v2.0. Please download and install the .NET Framework v2 and run this setup again. Do you want to download the framework now? YES, NO

Of course I chose YES and absolutely nothing happened.

Again the whole idea of trying out ReactOS for me is to see if it will run EZTrader which is a financial instrument trading software. Whether I am online or not, I should be able to get to a screen that asks me to log on at which point (after entering a user name and password) it would make the connection with the brokerage where my account is. If it doesn't get as far as that screen (which it does not in Fedora 14), then the way I see it, proceeding any further with ReactOS would be a waste of time. I've already gotten a 'Device Installation' screen looking for the ethernet controller. I guess this is why I can't get online. How it is not integrated into the OS I don't understand. I did a search engine search for 'download ethernet controller for ReactOS' and nothing useful is coming up.

@ ShaO, I don't quite get what you mean by 'Does ReactOS support any of the network interfaces on the computer you installed it to?' but I wonder if your are referring to drivers.

Will opening up a Command Prompt and entering: ipconfig /all get the .NET Framework v2.0 or the ethernet controller or what is it supposed to do?

I don't know that I need to make use of FTP if I can copy what I need over from the Fedora 14 Desktop.

#46 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

purplewhiteman forget it. .Net will never run on ReacOS, no matter how much time and work you invest.
You'll need a proper M$ product for this .Net §%&#, nothing else will due.

My suggestion, learn how to install a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox or VMWare in Fedora and then set a XP or maybe Vista/Win7 (If your computer has the power.) in it up.
It's real easy. Once the VM is installed, you can install the Windows in it, just like on a normal computer.

For XP, you'll need to find a CD image online, given that you have a valid licence.
For Win7, you can just download a DVD image from M$ and use it for free, for 3 months that is.

:happy_dance:

#47 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:43 AM

Thanks again MedEvil. Is Windows 7 the only version of Windows for which one can download a DVD image from M$ and use it for free for 3 months? No product key required? Do you have the link handy to that section of the M$ site?

Can one do the same for Vista or XP? I absolutely have a valid product key for Vista. My computer came with Windows Vista Home and the manufacturer's tech support people tell me that my product key is compatible with any version of Vista.

As far as XP, I can't swear the product key I have is not already in use. I was going to try it had I been able to successfully install XP if the disk hadn't been bad. The problem has been of course that the manufacturer of my computer didn't include a Windows Vista Home installation disk.

This is the computer I own:
http://www.powerspec...?selection=V101

I actually have a drive with Windows 98 on it but when I tried to use it with my V101, I ran into what I guess is the same problem as with ReactOS. I could not get on the internet:
Error installing device
Windows was unable to install the Standard Univeral PCI to USB Host Controller Device.
Windows encountered an error while trying to install the driver for this device.

The manufacturer's tech support people tell me there are no drivers for Win 98.

#48 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

It has a Realtek Integrated 10/100 Ethernet RTL8100C Controller according to the specs on this page:
http://www.powerspec...?selection=V101

#49 purplewhiteman

purplewhiteman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:17 AM

It has a Realtek Integrated 10/100 Ethernet RTL8100C Controller according to http://www.powerspec...?selection=V101

#50 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Since M$ does not sell XP or Vista anymore, they don't give away free testverisions of those OS for promotional purposes. Actually, for XP they never did that.

If you have a valid key for any Windows, ask a friend for their DVD and make a copy. Don't have friends? Look online for a download.

If you want to run Win98 on your computer use a Virtual Machine, they all emulate computer that Win98 can handle too.
But please check first, if Win98 can handle .Net 2.0 and if your application is OK with Win98 as base OS.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users