MS-DOS 2.0 source code released

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

The source code for the MS-DOS 2.0 and 1.25 has been released.

Really fun to go around poking the code for the old utils, it is all written in assembler.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
;       Diskcopy - Program to copy entire diskettes
;
;       Copyright 1982 by Microsoft Corporation
;       Written by Chris Peters, August 1982
;
;---------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/M...ce/DISKCOPY.ASM

:cheers:
  • Blackcrack likes this

#2 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

under which copyright/left, gpl ?

hahhh a good idea.. letz speak it on *giggle*

https://github.com/M...S-DOS/issues/20

best regards

Blacky

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

Microshafters probably didn't release the source code under any particular license, and certainly not GPL/GPL-variants or public domain. They can just write their own terms, enforcement isn't a big deal since they have bigwig attornies that can pursue violations. Most likely the code has been opened up but modifications are prohibited, so not true FLOSS/open source.

#4 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

This is the license:

[MS-DOS 1.25 & 2.0 Source] Copyright © Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved. MIT License Permission is hereby granted, freeof charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associateddocumentation files (the Software), to deal in the Software withoutrestriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify,merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, andto permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to thefollowing conditions:

The above copyright notice andthis permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portionsof the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS IS,WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TOTHE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ANDNONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLEFOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE ORTHE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:44 PM

As a side note, not exactly "news":

https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS

These are the same files originally shared at the Computer History Museum on March 25th 2014 and are being (re)published in this repo to make them easier to find, reference-to in external writing and works, and to allow exploration and experimentation for those interested in early PC Operating Systems.

the actual files were officially available since 4 years:

http://www.computerh...ly-source-code/

:duff:

Wonko

#6 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

I never actually bothered checking to see what license it is released under. But the MIT license is pretty open in terms of what you can do with the code, one of the most lenient licenses around. So this means the source for 1.25 and 2.0 is 100% open source, in terms of being able to modify as you wish?

#7 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:57 AM

but would it not more better, to have a License for working together,

may developing further on the old root's and so on, if anyone want start

again to build a better MS-Dos with Network-Support TCP-ip4+6 and so on..

directly strict working by the Microsoft-programming way, but with technical possibilitys of today..

and add directly subsystems and the possible to have a snapin-system for Subsystems.

And it had make fun to work in Ascii - colored Dos, this was it also

why the most had play around in Dos before Win95 .. and playing=learning

Okey, we have FreeDos, but ..... (now can you start to think .../write ..)

imho Freedos is a Dos on Stereoides.. :) and very nice Programmed..

And the Gui-systems of today need' so many ram, why then not build up

a fresh dos of the root's of MS-Dos 2.0 with grafical possibilitys who need more as ledd 50% of the ram.. so 8MB or so and this is very, very much for dos ...

why can we have not a Dos64bit with 8/16/32 bitsubsystem for more old Programs

to have a "more original" and more Light weight Dos-System to have a network, nongui

system in a Ascii Surface with the possible to use the GNU-Utils in the prompt, by side of the Linux,

without a gui.. with the program "screen" could it be possible to let more as one program/terminal run ..

A possible to have a start with Dos 2.0 for programming further and add directly network-support..

and also maybe for this dos-version an own integrate tty for, at example fax-programs, terminals(bbs-Boxes)

for IT (and Factorys) to have a really secure line directly over isdn or also again modems ..

( or who want, with acoustic coupler if the one or other in the repository *g*) 

for put'n store informations directly to an other factory or other place.. and not directly over internet,

where be at all  open to attack is open to attack and therewith Vulnerable over Internet

because all have access on it and be in able to can make all with the data's.

With a single, direct line, it is not .. and therewith more highest safety and security.

and if i think on a snapin system for subsystems, so ground-system with x86/64bit,

with tcpip4/6 and a converter to ipx/spx netbeui for the subsystems ..and the network connections... like samba.. and 8-name-converter to the dos.. to have the possible for hang in/mount the sambanetworks as emulates network-hardware-drive as example for dos4,5,6 directly from the groundsystem..

i see the Ground System before the snapin-subsystem more as converting-system with the possible of the winnt drivers .. and a possible for managing the memorys of the system, like Ram, High Mem and if i think on

memmaker, to have ever a 640K or more for different Programs .. playing the whole dosgames and so on
this do i am thinking if i think on the Dos so can run at all and then the ordering systems as subsystems, there is also then the possible for let run Doom .. and others Games and Programs

and the Subsystem, connected also a compatibility to Reactos to have a possible for let run Reactos and a pure Dos as Sub of a groundystem as the converter-system the subsystem as snapin.. usable also in Reactos as example ..and as a pure prompt system.. only to be the ground-system a preloader and converter of the actual system, for the subsystem where connected the "emulated" environment of more simple computers..

CDrom, emulating hardware-drives over samba, tcp-ip to ipx/spx and netbeui ..

where have the connectors a standard and make it able to have subsystem where be anywhere hang in able in different Modern systems to have the possible for working with all systems as subsystem in the respective main system.

This Idea and  invention is only for the open Source Community's and not for Commercial Factory's !

they can it use easily later as finish Software .. if they are build up.

how ever, you can think about there in the forum about, speak together ..

Hack the Planet :)

and have fun with a recording device, because the Penny's.... *hihi*

best regards

Blacky

https://www.blackysg...LrWrGfGgT8dxeGw

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

The MIT license is fairly OK. The thing to worry is that this license does not protect you from patents.

Meaning, in the United States I can release my source code as MIT. When I have the US patent for the algorithm inside that code, then it is still possible for me to charge you money for using it. This isn't as open as the Apache license where the author explicitly waives his patent rights on the code.

Microsoft releases often in MIT because of this "feature" of the license. However this code was released over 25 years ago, so any patents on the code *might* have been expired already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users