Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

NO!
As I wrote in the first post, it must be (currently) FBWF or BootSDI

The drivers are copied from (any HDD like) C:\Windows into your PE's windows directory X:\I386\...
And they can be copied only, if this directory is writable.

ImDisk brings you a writable B: or R:, but there is no actual Windows directory inside!

If you fullfill condition #1 (writable) it will work!

Sorry, that I explain a bit forced now:
You have your head not only to wear a hat. Your head should also be able to think.
You have your eyes not only to look into beautiful eyes of somebody else. Your eyes should also be able to read.

Look into my first post again!
Go through it step by step!

And do not change a step because you think 'This could be ... ???'

And if you have troubles to make your PE writable, that is not an issue of hostNIC. That is an issue of the setup and the delivered files of your project.

Peter

I just tried to link to 4 or 5 posts to explain what happened but the forum is messed up.

UNFORTUNATELY I NEVER SAW your response about needing FBWF due to aggravating :cheers: behaviour with the forum!!

I'm going to just let it go for now (not worth getting upset over) thanks anyway Peter.

:cheers:

#27 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

UNFORTUNATELY I NEVER SAW your response about needing FBWF due to aggravating :cheers: behaviour with the forum!!

If you search for nativeEX and FBWF, you will find that I several times excluded and included FBWF in the standard nativeEX.

The reason for me was that it did not work 100%.

Currently I included again, because it was working correct for me. But it seems that it VERY depends on the version of the files you have. I'll check this and maybe remove FBWF for the ? time.

But be sure: You can work with BootSDI. This script by nikzzzz works!

BTW: I always use BootSDI.

Peter

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

@amalux
@all

My last post has been rather aggressive.
I do not ask for 'excuse' now, the agression has been intended and still exists.

Let me explain:

I spend a lot of time helping newbies and experienced forum's users.
And I assume that my 'topic partners' follow the board rules.
If they do not, I try to explain one or twice, but anywhen my brain makes a 'BOING'.

Usually that situation should not happen, but to avoid it is not my issue. It is an issue of the users I'm corresponding with.

Peter

There are problems with the forum...

I never saw your response (circled in red) till now. This may explain (partly) why I seem so stupid :cheers: I guess I'm back to my original post and asking why I'm getting BSOD's when enabling FBWF. If none of the three file versions I've provided are useable than can someone please inform me WHICH ONE IS! if that isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

#29 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

There are problems with the forum...

I never saw your response (circled in red) till now. This may explain (partly) why I seem so stupid :cheers: I guess I'm back to my original post and asking why I'm getting BSOD's when enabling FBWF. If none of the three file versions I've provided are useable than can someone please inform me WHICH ONE IS! if that isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

No problem, I sometimes become a bit angry, but I never become an enemy :cheers:

Unfortunatelly it is not allowed to post M$ FBWF files here, but I think I can PM them a friend for testing.

On the other hand, I recommend to try BootSDI. As the past shows, it seems to be easier tham FBWF.

Peter

#30 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

@amalux
Your whole discussion with Peter made my day, i once almost fell of my chair for laughting. :cheers:

Since you're having IE troubles introduced by WB, it might not be such a bad idea to get yourself for the time being Firefox or Opera. Both do not share any settings or depend in any way on IE. So they shouldn't give you any problems.

For FBWF you can use at least any version coming from XPE (2.0....)
If the size is directly written into the registry, all you need is FBWF.sys.
If you use some dynamic setting, you will also need fbwflib.dll of the same version fbwf.sys is!!!

The error is exclusivly caused by bat/cmd files run during bootup!!!
So go and find the sucker!

#31 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:55 AM

@amalux
Your whole discussion with Peter made my day, i once almost fell of my chair for laughting. :cheers:

Peter can be mean to me all he wants :cheers: as long as he keeps helping me build these beautiful boot discs, I'm a happy dude :cheers:

Since you're having IE troubles introduced by WB, it might not be such a bad idea to get yourself for the time being Firefox or Opera. Both do not share any settings or depend in any way on IE. So they shouldn't give you any problems.

Not an issue anymore! 'Fix' is to uncheck "Use DLL init at build time... " in Explorer script :cheers:

For FBWF you can use at least any version coming from XPE (2.0....)
If the size is directly written into the registry, all you need is FBWF.sys.
If you use some dynamic setting, you will also need fbwflib.dll of the same version fbwf.sys is!!!

Version 2.0.965.0 (paired) works beautifully! Thanks to Peter :cheers:

I do have a question on BootSDI required files; is there specific versions required there as well? do these look OK?

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

I do have a question on BootSDI required files; is there specific versions required there as well? do these look OK?

They all must be from W2003-R2 (sp1).
Version of ramdisk.sys has to be 5.2.3790.1830.
The other two files do not have version information.

Peter

#33 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

This game is fun! 'Find the Driver' -

Hmmm, I had thought that name of the game was:
"How to -choose your word- Peter until he explodes :cheers:"

Choices:
annoy, irritate, bother, irk, vex, provoke, aggravate, peeve, rile

...and Amalux won! :cheers:

jaclaz

#34 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

They all must be from W2003-R2 (sp1).
Version of ramdisk.sys has to be 5.2.3790.1830.
The other two files do not have version information.

Peter

Thank you very much, Peter! This information is really helpful! Unfortunately, it raises another stupid annoying question :cheers: How to determine which NTDETECT and SETUPLDR files are correct out of the hundreds I have saved in one place or another (obviously, I don't have W2003-R2 (sp1) only sp2). Since there's no version information given in properties, I can only go by modified dates and file sizes; here's a sampling of what I have, do any look 'right'?

Let me know if you need any additional info and thank you again for helping a poor fool, like me, who's only other option is to spend untold hours building projects with unknown files and guessing why they don't work :cheers:
Thanks again my friend.

#35 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thank you very much, Peter! This information is really helpful! Unfortunately, it raises another stupid annoying question :cheers: How to determine which NTDETECT and SETUPLDR files are correct out of the hundreds I have saved in one place or another (obviously, I don't have W2003-R2 (sp1) only sp2). Since there's no version information given in properties, I can only go by modified dates and file sizes; here's a sampling of what I have, do any look 'right'?

Let me know if you need any additional info and thank you again for helping a poor fool, like me, who's only other option is to spend untold hours building projects with unknown files and guessing why they don't work :cheers:
Thanks again my friend.

The setupldr.bin with 292 k size seem to be hot candidates.
You can try them. If they do not have the correct version, BootSDI.Script will pop an error.

The NTDETECT.COM and RAMDISK.SYS seem to be usable from every W2003 version.

I checked my German and English / SP1 and SP2 and all four of them have been identical.

Peter

#36 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

The setupldr.bin with 292 k size seem to be hot candidates.
You can try them. If they do not have the correct version, BootSDI.Script will pop an error.

The NTDETECT.COM and RAMDISK.SYS seem to be usable from every W2003 version.

I checked my German and English / SP1 and SP2 and all four of them have been identical.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Funny, I was just about to to post 'Never mind' I found the 'correct' files (3 hours of Googling) to match the sp1 release (see below) but they don't match your 292 k stipulation :cheers: Oh well, I'll try both and see what happens (narrows it down a lot!) Thanks again!

#37 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Peter! Funny, I was just about to to post 'Never mind' I found the 'correct' files (3 hours of Googling) to match the sp1 release (see below) but they don't match your 292 k stipulation :cheers: Oh well, I'll try both and see what happens (narrows it down a lot!) Thanks again!

5.2.3790.1830 is ok. So for the first trial, forget the size. I also have a 294 k file which works !?

Peter

#38 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

Peter, just wanted to say thank you! The BootSDI and FBWF (earlier post) both work beautifully, flawlessly. even with all my favorite programs and tweaks loaded in. Awesome! I know you put a tremendous (unbelievable) amount of work into this (along with some others) and I just wanted to say THANK YOU! :cheers: :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#39 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Peter have you ever thought about that, if you instead of reading the nic from the registry and then install it the usual way, you could get away without a writable system, if you would copy the driver information from the host reg to the PE reg and just adopt the imagepath? :cheers:

#40 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

Peter have you ever thought about that, if you instead of reading the nic from the registry and then install it the usual way, you could get away without a writable system, if you would copy the driver information from the host reg to the PE reg and just adopt the imagepath? :cheers:

In the very beginning I did.

But I postponed this idea, because:
  • Using Win API functions, makes every entry automatically.
  • Using a registry keys copy is only possible, after scanning the *.inf and to decide where all registry keys can be found.
    And here is the big issue of 'current actual' keys (the HKR entry in AddReg).
    Only the OS knows the HKR directly. For an external application it is very difficult to determine.
Postponed is not negated!

Peter

#41 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

[*]Using a registry keys copy is only possible, after scanning the *.inf and to decide where all registry keys can be found.

Hmm, maybe the driver i tryed this with was too simple. :cheers:
I simply took all the information needed directly from the registry, without looking into the inf.

And here is the big issue of 'current actual' keys (the HKR entry in AddReg).
Only the OS knows the HKR directly. For an external application it is very difficult to determine.

I don't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

#42 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hmm, maybe the driver i tryed this with was too simple. :cheers:
I simply took all the information needed directly from the registry, without looking into the inf.

I prefer as base for my development to use the most complex situation currently known to me, rather than a simple situation.
Usually after release there appear more complex situations which have to be fixed.

I don't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

http://msdn2.microso...y/ms794514.aspx

Peter

#43 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:40 AM

Following the Steps and using the SDI method for booting. I was able to test the method proposed to be solved by HostNic.Script.
Very cool. It worked. And yes you can use a virtual Environment to test this HostNic Method.
All you do is have a Drive that has Windows installed and the Vmware Tools, which include the network card driver. From there once you boot up boot using the ISO and you are told that you have no connection, you follow the 2 steps:
run HostNic
run PeNetwork Shortcut to reconfigure using the new installed Nic

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I think the HostNic Shortcut should go to the Network Directory or give a gui option on where you want the shorcut(s) created.

One problem i keep having which is not with HosNic but with the SDI Script is that when I create the Project Once it works, but if try to build SDI again starting over I get that error about z: drive something. I have to restart my PC in order for it to work again properly one more time.
For Some odd reason the Write Filter files I tried didnt work and since I lost my other files in my Drive I have not been able to get them back. I use to have some files that worked fine using FBWF. So I could not test it using FBWF.

#44 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

I think the HostNic Shortcut should go to the Network Directory or give a gui option on where you want the shorcut(s) created.

Thanks for testing!

I'm working on hostDriver, which installs different drivers should replace hostNIC.
hostdriver.gif
Therefore the nativeEx subfolder seems to be better.

I already have had this BootSDI issue. I appears when you use different WinBuilder directories for test, additionally abort a running BootSDI script in the 'right' moment and then delete the WinBuilder directory where you just aborted.

Then vdk points to a installed driver in the non existing place.

(Maybe there are other situations similar like this)

Instead of reboot you also can run 'vdk remove' manually.

Peter

Peter

#45 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

(Maybe there are other situations similar like this)

Yes, this was the behaviour for me if I had vdk running from elsewhere -- say, system32 -- prior to running BootSDI when it used to only use vdk from the %tools% folder.

I'm working on hostDriver, which installs different drivers should replace hostNIC.

Any plans on extending this to being able to inject new drivers into a non-booted system? Eg new mass storage drivers into the local system which won't boot due to hardware change?

Regards,
Galapo.

#46 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

Any plans on extending this to being able to inject new drivers into a non-booted system? Eg new mass storage drivers into the local system which won't boot due to hardware change?

Very interesting and worth to think about :cheers:

Peter

#47 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

Well, glad I've gotten you potentially interested (I know by now what can result when you become 'interested' in something).

It's not an easy matter I find writing a program to 'read' inf driver files and writing corresponding registry entries (I've played with this to some extent with my OfflineSysPrep).

Now, I don't suppose there's any chance in you being at all 'interested' in this?

Regards,
Galapo.

#48 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

Well, glad I've gotten you potentially interested (I know by now what can result when you become 'interested' in something).

It's not an easy matter I find writing a program to 'read' inf driver files and writing corresponding registry entries (I've played with this to some extent with my OfflineSysPrep).

Now, I don't suppose there's any chance in you being at all 'interested' in this?

Regards,
Galapo.

AS you see I'm already working on the 'read inf', but with lowest priority.
inf2script.gif

VMWare Convert:
Currently I'm hard working on hostDriver.
I have troubles with UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices when installing the AC97 driver.
I get the error E0000101 which is undocumented as MS as well as cannot be found at Google.

With NIC e.g there is no problem.

Befor I didn't solve this issue, no other 'bigger' projects.

Peter

#49 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

AS you see I'm already working on the 'read inf', but with lowest priority.

Now that looks quite interesting.

I have troubles with UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices when installing the AC97 driver.
I get the error E0000101 which is undocumented as MS as well as cannot be found at Google.

Is that like a general error_section_not_found error?

Regards,
Galapo.

#50 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

Hi Peter,

I have a suggestion: do you think it's possible for hostNIC to be supplied a directory to be recursively scanned for the required lan driver? I'm thinking of the situation where a path to the DriverPacks lan drivers could be supplied from which hostNIC would grab the driver files and install to the PE. This would allow the PE to have a smaller footprint due to the lan drivers not having been installed to the the PE during build and which aren't necessary for boot anyway (good for ram-booting to keep image small). Later when needed the relevant one could be installed by hostNIC.

Regards,
Galapo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users