nativeEx_Win7 goes Turbo part #2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Imagine this situation:

You have a built PE and want to add only one additional app.

To compare times, let's assume, that your build is "Minimum": No Apps, no drivers, just able to run into an emulator.
Let's assume, too, that the app you want to add, is not very complicated. Let's choose SumatraPDF for test

Preface: All times measured on my PC. On other PCs it may be different.

Situation #1: Project on Win7RescuePE:
  • Navigate to "SumatraPDF" in the project tree
  • Check the script to add this app
  • Rebuild the project
  • Wait 11:45 minutes until running into emulator
Situation #2: Project on nativeEx_win7:
(It is already known that nativeEx_win7 in the second and following runs is much faster)
  • Navigate to "SumatraPDF" in the project tree
  • Check the script to add this app
  • Rebuild the project
  • Wait 3:09 minutes until running into emulator
Situation #3: New project on nativeEx_win7:
  • Navigate to the SumatraPDF script
  • Optionally check it for the next run (not necessary to add to the current build)
  • Click the green triangle to run the script
  • Navigate to Finalize > PostConfigEx
  • Click "Rebuild boot.wim"
  • Wait 1:42 minutes until running into emulator
Screenshoot:
postconfigex.gif

BTW: Please have a look at the lower panel :)

Peter

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot "Click the green triangle to run the script". Added now.

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:26 AM

OK, took me one or two minutes to figure this out...

Looks like that you are selecting the finalize steps from inside the script...I guess that's OK - its' a choice on how to manage things...I see that you "fixed" the virtual testing scripts so that they can't be "selected", which fits in with the choice. BUT, what confused me for a while was that the ISO scripts are still selected, and are run (after already being run. Since by the time it tries to write an ISO, the virtualbox is running ( and locking the ISO), you get a failure. :)

I think you are on the right track in trying to rpovide a quicker way to rebuild the WIM and the ISO, and test it, but not sure I like the way the pull down's work to do this

Couldn't this process be another one of the "tool" scripts you have as a part of the project, and leave the basic "finalize" stage be individually selected items? Or maybe a "rebuild" stage? Or something else?

Of course, it's your call at the end of the day...but to me, the current UI is a bit confusing...maybe if the defaults were cleaned up...

Oh well, time to go to bed...

#3 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

One more "anomoly" I need to look into more (tomorrow) :) (I'm getting cross-eyed tonight :)

The second time I go to build the project, I am gettin an ISO that won't boot. I "think" if I clean it all out and start over without cache, and temp and target, etc. it builds clean (with no other changes)...

I'll try to repeat the testing tomorrow and identify the diffs in the logs, but if you get a chance to look at that "senario" (only enabling the avira to still track down the "autostart" bug...The tray tool icon should be starting automatically, but if you "unhide" the peloader, you can see the error message that it can't find the avgnt file...oh well, as I said, I am definately bleary eyed at the moment...

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users