#1 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2022 - 09:13 AM

The EFIbootwin project on GitHub looks interesting - sadly there are no releases and I do not have a build environment.

https://github.com/ju-funk/efibootwin - "...efibootwin is a Windows program for Read/Set UEFI Variable (BootNext, BootOrder,..) a little bit the linux efibootmgr..."

It has an MIT license. Is anyone able to compile and share?

Misty

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 July 2022 - 02:14 PM

Not to seem the old, grumpy bastard that I am :smiling9:, but that thingy looks like the usual quarter-@§§ed[1], unfinished, unmaintained, untested, several years old crappy program written by someone that had a brief interest in the matter and then immediatley left the specific niche topic for better alternatives:

First Commit Version 0.8.0 Aug 31, 2019
New function Version 0.8.5 Sep 14, 2019

first release (of sources only) and following version within 15 days, usually means (in the best case) "a rudimental undocumented Poc with very little functionality and lots of bugs" put together hastily as a side-side project or as a school/uni project/demo.

Besides building it, the code should be reviewed by someone familiar with the matter before even thinking of using it to mess with UEFI/EFI variables. :ph34r:

If you want to take the risk of messing with UEFI/EFI variables, you may want to play with this thingy here (though no idea if it works, even partially, and seemingly it has an executable but not source):

http://www.zibri.org...in-windows.html

https://gist.github....2c6c3afddc9388f

BUT check this also, before:

https://oofhours.com...i-boot-manager/

https://www.powershe...ages/UEFIv2/2.5

:duff:

Wonko

[1] in the sense of being much lower quality than any decently half-@§§ed project

#3 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 05:05 PM

Hi misty,

I would recommend you to try the portable version of DiskGenius, it can modify the BootNext and BootOrder variables of a UEFI system :

https://www.diskgeni...om/download.php

#4 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 July 2022 - 11:50 AM

@ misty

I always use BootIce to set UEFI boot order, add, edit or delete UEFI boot options, it is also capable to pre-set next boot option.

But you could also try this: bootnext 1.0.46

I haven't tested bootnext 1.0.46

alacran

#5 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 July 2022 - 12:38 PM

I have an Asus MB that allows me to select CSM, UEFI or Auto option (automatically detects if booting from CSM or UEFI environment), also it has a separate option to enable/disable Secure Boot (SB) when applicable.

So I created with BootIce the following additional entries in UEFI, only available when pressing F8 during boot (Boot Overwrite Key), just like when booting from a USB device.

UEFI Grub2 pointing to internal HD S:\EFI\Boot\BOOTX64.EFI  >>> This is SB capable, as its respective certificate is installed.

UEFI Grub4dos pointing to internal HD S:\EFI\Boot\bootx64_g4d.efi  >>> Requires dissable SB.

This is a fantastic MB for running MBR and UEFI tests with or without SB enabled, but usually I keep it in the Auto option and SB dissabled.

NOTE: Internal HD is MBR formated, first primary active partition is FAT-32, but same results can be achieved if first primary active partition is NTFS and we add a very small FAT partition (1 MB is enought) holding UEFI:NTFS as in this test.

alacran

#6 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2022 - 12:38 PM

Not to seem the old, grumpy bastard that I am :smiling9:, but that thingy looks like the usual quarter-@§§ed[1], unfinished, unmaintained, untested, several years old crappy program written by someone that had a brief interest in the matter and then immediatley left the specific niche topic for better alternatives:..
....first release (of sources only) and following version within 15 days, usually means (in the best case) "a rudimental undocumented Poc with very little functionality and lots of bugs" put together hastily as a side-side project or as a school/uni project/demo.....

@wonko
Thanks as always for your insight and suggestions. I didn't pay much attention to the development cycle for efibootwin. I've I'm honest, I was just curious after reading about it on the rEFInd webpage (here).

...I would recommend you to try the portable version of DiskGenius, it can modify the BootNext and BootOrder variables of a UEFI system...

@Vortex
Thanks. alacran has also mentioned bootice - which is easy to use and appears to have a very similar (identical?) interface to the DiskGenius in the relevant UEFI section.

@alacran
Thanks. I've been using bootice for approximately two months - I have no idea how I missed this tool for so long. It has some great features and is portable, has a small footprint, and has 32 and 64-bit versions. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

misty

#7 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:44 AM

Hi misty,

I would prefer BootIce but sometimes it does not work as expected and does not save correctly the UEFI variables.

#8 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 July 2022 - 09:03 AM

Version 1.3.4 has that problem, see this post.

But BootIce v1.3.3.2 Build 2015-02-16 works fine for editing UEFI entries.

alacran

#9 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:14 AM

Hello alacran,

I am using BootIce v1.3.3.2 Build 2015-02-16 , it has the same problem sometimes.

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 July 2022 - 02:08 PM

Hello alacran,

I am using BootIce v1.3.3.2 Build 2015-02-16 , it has the same problem sometimes.

So far not a single problem here.

But when dealing with Bios/firmware, we need to remember there is always the possibility to find a "DIFFICULT BIOS".

alacran

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users