Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

is it possible to boot erd commander with syslinux?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

See the attached DriveSnapshot image (sorry, I don't use Ghost).

Regards,
Galapo.

Attached Files

• Attached File  usb.7z   50.33KB   499 downloads

#52 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks.

I was hoping you would've included the img file with the NTDETECT and NTLDR files, I could then use Ultraiso to add my erd.iso.
Or just provide those files since the img file is kinda big.

Thanks again for all your input.

#53 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

I was hoping you would've included the img file with the NTDETECT and NTLDR files, I could then use Ultraiso to add my erd.iso.

But why would I want to do that? That would be illegal! Besides, obtaining the files in the legal manner is easy...

Does applying the snapshot image and then creating the erd image have a booting image now?

Regards,
Galapo.

#54 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Sorry I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. And yes geting those files was indeed easy.

I did get further, it appears the erd.iso I have has an issue. It is a bootable image because I created a cd and it boots!

it get's to a point where it tries to load ntoskrnl.exe and it can"t (error 14).

The image you provided is too small now, I tried to add ntoskrnl.exe from my laptop %system%\system32 dir to the appropriate dir in the erd.iso.
Can you make the img like 10mb bigger?

I was able to delete a rtf file from my iso to make room for the ntoskrnl.exe ..... now it stops at txtsetup.sif which is in the iso. I guess I'll give up now.

#55 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:30 AM

Can you make the img like 10mb bigger?

See the attached.

Regards,
Galapo.

Attached Files

• Attached File  erd.7z   24.03KB   489 downloads

#56 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Can you explain how you created this img, I did a search for BOOTSDI, thiking this was a tool, but couldnt find it. A script I found bootsdi.zip was corrupt and wasnt sure this is what I wanted.

What ver of ERD did you use, I tried 2002, is there a diff in the way erd2002 and erd2003 boots?

I have erd2005, but that iso is 195mb. I could use another image if I cant make it myself.

#57 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Can you explain how you created this img

Yes, see here where in the topic where I explained: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=20621

You can also use Jaclaz's MBRBatch to accomplish the task: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=25142

What ver of ERD did you use, I tried 2002, is there a diff in the way erd2002 and erd2003 boots?

The rebranded ERD 'Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset': http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Regards,
Galapo.

#58 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for all your input.
My issue was that I was using an earlier Erd version and not the latest. It now works as you outlined.

I will read the links posted above to learn how to create an empty img file.

I recently installed Winbuilder and have some issues building VistaPE but that is a new thread. Thanks again!

#59 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Galapo,

I haven't read how to make my own just yet, hopefully it's just the batch file that I saw, recently.

Can you please make me another img file? 200mb. Thanks

#60 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

Please do some reading and testing and see if you can get an image for yourself now. I unfortunately don't have endless time. I can do something for you in a day or two if you still desire it.

Regards,
Galapo.

#61 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

I have tried, I can't get the MakeMBR.zip file from jclaz website, the link has been truncated and have no idea what executable could be in that zip other than makeMBR?

#62 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

It's attached to this post: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=21802

Regards,
Galapo.

#63 cam99

cam99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

I overlooked it, was going crazy. The script runs however

For a 200 MB img what would I use for

1. enter image size of 200 M
2. enter geometry of ??
3. enter partition type ??
4. either use mksparse or fsz ?? which is better?

#64 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:33 AM

I overlooked it, was going crazy. The script runs however

Sure it does! :thumbsup:

For a 200 MB img what would I use for
1. enter image size of 200 M
2. enter geometry of ?? <- Try 255/63 or 16/63
3. enter partition type ?? <- Try first with FAT16 06 (CHS) or 0E (CHS)
4. either use mksparse or fsz ?? which is better? If the image goes on a NTFS volume, mksparse will create it as a "sparse" file (i.e. a file that occupies on disk ONLY the bare minimum number of written sectors and that will expand as soon as you add contents to it), if the volume is not a NTFS one, both fsz and mksparse will create an image file as big as the image itself. Fsz is useful if you want to create a non-sparse image on a NTFS volume.

jaclaz

#65 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hello again!

I have another Super Duper Question for my Special Friend "Lord of IPL" aka jaclaz !!! My first Problem was (was..because i have already fixed it!) the following...I have an 16GB Stick (OCZ Rally²) and the maximal size for fat16 is 4gb so i have much unused space ...so i have to make more than one partition ...but that is only possible with an fixed drive ...not with an removeble media!!! So i have found an tool (BootIt - Lexar) to "Flip the Removeable Media Bit" from my USB Drive ! Now i have an Stick that act like an Harddisk! Partitioning in any format...size...color and flavor is possible now!!! So i made a 4GB fat16 partion at first...then i've installed syslinux and copy the needed files ...everything works fine but only erd commander strikes! it hangs directly after invoking erd commander! Seems like that erd commander didn't like fixed drives ! or syslinux have a problem ...i will give grub a chance !

and now my Question ...is it possible to boot erd commander from fat32 (syslinux or grub) and if not ...can you tell me the correct entries for menu.lst to boot erd commander with grub ...

i have alread tried to load the erd.bss file from both sticks (16GB fixed/4GB removable) with grub ! with the following parameter ...

grub> find --set-root /erd.bss (<- the same file i used with syslinux...it works!)
(hd0,0)
Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x6

grub> chainloader /erd.bss
nothing happens
grub>

grub> kernel /erd.bss
Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

grub> chainloader /setupldr.bin

grub> kernel /setupldr.bin

regards
basoc

#66 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Forget for the moment about grub4dos commands/parameters. :cheers:

Temporarily "disconnect" yourself from the idea of a 4 Gb FAT16 partition, the "real" FAT16 has a limit of 2Gbytes, the 4 Gbytes is only possible on NT based systems using a cluster of 64Kb, which is somewhat non-standard.

FAT32 partitions are somewhat tricky when the NT/2K/XP/2003 bootsector is used.

fuwi has published a small batch that uses DOS to workaround the problem with biggish FAT32 partitions.

It is on the 911CD forum, here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21702
since right now it is down, I am attaching a copy here.

Read how it basically works here:
http://www.msfn.org/...u....html&st=49

See if it works for you, first.

The idea is to bypass the "faulty" NTLDR FAT32 bootsector and chainload directly the loader.

If it does work, a simpler alternative is installing grldr.mbr to the stick, read this thread:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1339

jaclaz

Attached Files

#67 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

First of all...i really don't care of what Filesystem (Fat/Fat32) or what size the partition (2/4GB) has...for example ....an 2 GB Stick ...i will format the whole stick in fat16 and use syslinux without any problems but i have a 16GB Stick and this one can only formatted in fat32!

Let's begin with the ordinary 2GB Stick ...i've formated it with the hp tool (fat16)l and leaved it in "removable media" status ! then i installed syslinux and test erd commander ...everthing works fine ...if i change the "removable media" bit to get an fixed drive ...and test again...expectedly the test failed (erd won't boot) !!!

ok now the same procedure with grub ...i used the hp tool again to format (i tried fat16 and fat32!) and WinGrub to install Grub to the stick ...booting grub from stick...

grub> find --set-root /erdc/setupldr.bin
(hd0,0)
Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc

grub> chainloader /erdc/setupldr.bin

...this is definitely no problem with the filesystem !!!!!!

what is wrong with that file !?

greetz
basoc

#68 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

...this is definitely no problem with the filesystem !!!!!!

Maybe not :cheers:, but it should my prerogative to say that. :cheers:

Just to make sure, USE AS I TOLD YOU fuwi's batch to reformat the stick.

Try first with the "normal" SETUPLDR.BIN (renamed as NTLDR).

Then copy YOUR SETUPLDR.BIN to ROOT of the stick and try chainloading it via grub4dos.

By the way, a SETUPLDR.BIN must be on the ROOT of the stick to be chainloaded by erdc.bss, I know of no bootsectors capable of chainloading a non-in-root file :cheers:

A question, how did you copy the ERDC folder to the stick?
If you copied it from Explorer, try doing the following:
1) make on the stick a directory ERDC
2) copy to ROOT\ERDC\ the SETUPLDR.BIN (this way the file is in a "low address"

Please attach the file stickdir.txt obtained by doing
DIR X: /S>C:\stickdir.txt
where X: is the drive letter of the stick

what is wrong with that file !?

Nothing that I know of, which version if ERDC are you using? :cheers:
The ERDC50 had the same SETUPLDR.BIN as Server2003 SP1, which works allright with grub4dos.
Which version of grub4dos are you using?

Back to your previously reported attempt:

i have alread tried to load the erd.bss file from both sticks (16GB fixed/4GB removable) with grub ! with the following parameter ...

grub> find --set-root /erd.bss (<- the same file i used with syslinux...it works!)
(hd0,0)
Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x6

grub> chainloader /erd.bss
nothing happens
grub>

it is normall that there is no feedback after chainloading a bootsector.
Try typing "boot" and pressing [ENTER], what happens? :cheers:

jaclaz

#69 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

ok...here we go ...i can report "a first success" !!!

stick 2gb (fixed and removable)
format fat32
bootloader grub4dos

erd commander works!

...used the same stick (same format) and installed wingrub!

erd commander didn't work!

...what we've learn ? ...wingrub is a little bit aged...last update Oct 2004 (version 0.95) ! I think that version of grub can't handle the loader!

...and you say...
By the way, a SETUPLDR.BIN must be on the ROOT of the stick to be chainloaded by erdc.bss, I know of no bootsectors capable of chainloading a non-in-root file!

...that is not whole right...anyway not for grub ...with grub you don't have to use the .bss file to load the ntldr ...you can chainload it directly !!!

take a look here:

config.sys (from grub4dos)
device=\grub4dos\grub.exe --config-file="timeout 0;default 0;title Booting BartPE;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"
...there is no .bss file in there !

...whatever...is there a chance to get the newer version of grub to install it into the mbr !?!

don't get me wrong ...grub4dos is very nice ...no matter...but i want to start it rather direct from mbr !

...forget it ...i take the grldr from grubinst (version 0.97) ...aaaaand....Bingo Baby ! everything works !!!

thnx anyhow for the hints !

regards
basoc

#70 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

Sure, WHO told you to use Wingrub? :cheers:

...that is not whole right...anyway not for grub ...with grub you don't have to use the .bss file to load the ntldr ...you can chainload it directly !!!

take a look here:

config.sys (from grub4dos)
device=\grub4dos\grub.exe --config-file="timeout 0;default 0;title Booting BartPE;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"
...there is no .bss file in there !

Good Morning, Mr. de La Palice, nice to meet you:
http://en.wikipedia....es_de_la_Palice

It's almost TWO years I go around recommending grub4dos as it can UNLIKE most other loaders, DIRECTLY chainload System Files, thus bypassing the bootsector and avoiding a number of problems! :cheers:

Now, behave, READ diddy's guide:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5187

Particularly here:
http://diddy.boot-la...les/install.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...all.htm#method6
get grubinst, and use it.

Also, please do report properly what you have done, it's not that difficult, but "as is" your post if of no use for anyone else, if you report the steps you took, it may help a number of other members with the same problem as yours. :cheers:

:cheers:

jaclaz

#71 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

Good morning Signor Rossi !

ok now the same procedure with grub ...i used the hp tool again to format (i tried fat16 and fat32!) and WinGrub to install Grub to the stick ...booting grub from stick...

i already told you 2 messeges before that i'm using wingrub!

i think "anybody" who read my messages carefully will know what i mean and what i've done!

...but don't worry i'm not resentfully!!! :cheers:

...ok..last but not least...i have one question...can i load syslinux from grub...anyway ?

greetz
basoc

#72 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

i already told you 2 messeges before that i'm using wingrub!

I never said that you did not say that you used Wingrub, I asked:

Sure, WHO told you to use Wingrub?

And that's part of the REASONS WHY I told you to use another procedure.

This is the second time that I ask you to read and comply with "Common Sense Advice":
http://www.boot-land...opic=2958&st=12
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

There won't be a third time:
I'll simply ignore your requests for help :cheers: , no hards feeling of any sort :cheers:, but WHY :cheers: should I help anyone who is not willing to help me in helping him or to do so in a way that the personal advice I offer can not easily be of help to other members?

i think "anybody" who read my messages carefully will know what i mean and what i've done!

If you had:
-detailed the app you wanted to boot
-detailed how you used the tools
that would be more understandable.

...but don't worry i'm not resentfully!!! :cheers:

I hope not, you come here, fail to even try conforming to what you are asked to do and nonetheless get helped as well, WHY should you be resentful? :cheers:

...ok..last but not least...i have one question...can i load syslinux from grub...anyway ?

Yes, you can. :cheers:

jaclaz

#73 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

ok ok in consideration of previous and (hopefully) further Help i will apologize me for my lewd conduct! :whistling: ...1000 and 1 time !

aaaand...as compensation i will explain "the whole story" about "my way" to handle sticks larger than 4GB!!!

ok...here we go...!

1.) =< [LESS or EQUAL] 4GB

You have an 2/4GB Stick (Less than 2GB will make not really make a sense for an multiboot stick!) but the point is ...the stick does not have more than 4GB...in this case you can format the whole key easily with the hp format tool v2.1.8 (google "hp format tool") in FAT16 (ERD Commander needs FAT16 Format! ...this is the only reason i prefer this format!!!)
...normaly the max size for fat16 is 2gb ...but the hp tool will format your 4gb stick too!

2.) > [GREATER] 4GB

You have an Stick greater than 4GB and you want to format it in fat16 (...we know only 4gb!!!) we have to make partitions on the stick (but windows can handle partitions on a removable media) ...on this account we have to "flip the removable bit" with a tool called "Lexar BootIt" ...if anyhing works we have an USB Stick shown as an fixed drive (like a ordinary Harddisk) and where we can make individual partitions!!!
...but not all sticks will be accepted...if you have a stick where the bit is not changable you can only use a modified driver for each system! A very good site for this issue is: Uwe Sieber's Site (scroll down to the last entry!)

...needless to say that you can also use "Lexar BootIt" for smaller sticks (size doesn't matter) ...the other question is ...does it make sense to split a 1/2GB Stick in one or more parts???

3.) Bootloader

...now you can choose between syslinux and grub ...a detailed howto you can find here...Multiboot USB ... i used this on be myself !!!...I have changed to Grub because after i switched the "flex bit" ...erd commander will not boot anymore with syslinux ...but with grub will do!!!

...the only problem i have now is that some other programs have a problem to start with grub..therefore my question about starting syslinux with grub !?

regards
basoc

#74 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

1) Format your drive normally
2) Make a copy of the bootsector, say bootsect.ori
3) Install Syslinux normally on the bootsector of the drive
4) Copy the bootsector to a file syslinux.bs
5) Restore bootsect.ori
6) Add grub4dos in any way you like
7) add to menu.lst an entry like:
title Syslinux

find --set-root /syslinux.bs

chainloader /syslinux.bs

Alternatively, experiment if Syslinux can be loaded similarly to isolinux :whistling::
http://www.911cd.net...o...=20468&st=6

jaclaz

#75 basoc

basoc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

Sorry but i have to annoy you again!

I did exactly everything you told me but i always get the message "Boot error" from grub!

...maybe something wrong with the .bs file !? i tooked mkbt.exe ( with parameter -x -c) to save the syslinux bootsektor from my stick!

i post my .bs file here !

greets
basoc

P.S.: the alternative with booting syslinux first and starting grub (with grub.exe) afterwards works for me ...but sadly not the other way around !

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users