#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

If I may, possibly you could meet "in the middle".

Having BOTH diskpart and disk management could bee "too much" for a "minimal" PE, but maybe a GUI wrapping around diskpart may do.

AFAICR the Kmanpro PEpart (modified version of original tonedeaf diskpartitioner GUI) works alright (though only with the English verison of diskpart):

http://www.911cd.net...opic=21144&st=0

There is also seemingly a new *something* in development, WinFE related (OT, boy do I hate *anything* posted wthout a date :frusty:) :

http://winfe.wordpre...winfe/diskpart/

About "third party", this could be a candidate:

http://reboot.pro/to...rtition-wizard/

or this one:

http://reboot.pro/to...tarting-sector/

Back to topic, the needs in a PE 3.0 are listed here:

http://www.msfn.org/...n-gui-in-winpe/

:cheers:

Wonko

• misty likes this

#27 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

...maybe a GUI wrapping around diskpart may do. AFAICR the Kmanpro PEpart (modified version of original tonedeaf diskpartitioner GUI) works alright...

I also found an updated version here - starts ok, but I didn't want to risk testing it on real hardware.

...There is also seemingly a new *something* in development, WinFE related (OT, boy do I hate *anything* posted wthout a date :frusty:) ...

I suspect this was actually referring to Mr Ramsden's Write Protect Tool.

...About "third party", this could be a candidate: http://reboot.pro/to...rtition-wizard/ or this one: http://reboot.pro/to...tarting-sector/...

The first program MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1 starts on in WinPE, but is a little bloated for my liking (50+ MB). The second PartitionGuru Free is less than 10 MB and only requires one dll dependency to start. Again, I haven't testing these other than starting them up and checking the UI and available options.

the needs in a PE 3.0 are listed here: http://www.msfn.org/...n-gui-in-winpe/

Interesting link - but I'm not sure it's worth investing the time to get this working at the moment if it's only working in WinPE 3.0 (and probably 3.1). Something else to add to my "to do" list...

Good finds, as usual. When I get a bit more time I'll set up a VM to play around with them.

Thanks

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

The Partition Guru worked fine in my tests (not carried on MistyPE), and I personally prefer it to the MiniTool (exactly because of it's more compact size, which I find "acceptable" - though still "bloated" by my usual standards).

About the mentioned post:

http://winfe.wordpre...winfe/diskpart/

My understanding of the English language must be at fault somewhere :w00t:, as this seems clear enough to me:

For more information on DiskPart, check out the Microsoft DiskPart description. And don’t worry, this is not that difficult to use. Additionally, there is the upcoming GUI’d version of DiskPart being written and tested right now.

I concur with you that adding the actual MMC+Disk Management would represent an insane amount of bloat in what is intended as a "minimal" PE, but if any "third party" is really-really wanting it, he/she may develop an "external/optional" .script, and that could be a good "base".

Since at first sight the data in the given thread n MSFN is not so different form those used at the time in the XPCLI thingy, I suspect that - like 99.9% of MS code, it is re-used and will be valid on later versions of the PE. :dubbio:

Wonko

#29 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

@Wonko
There is nothing at fault with your understanding of the English language - my suspicion that the GUI being referred to is WProtect.exe is based upon other things I've read on the same site. WProtect is a GUI covering the most common diskpart usage required in WinFE - at least in terms of the commands listed on the winfe.wordpress site.

I concur with you that adding the actual MMC+Disk Management would represent an insane amount of bloat in what is intended as a "minimal" PE, but if any "third party" is really-really wanting it, he/she may develop an "external/optional" .script, and that could be a good "base".
Since at first sight the data in the given thread n MSFN is not so different form those used at the time in the XPCLI thingy, I suspect that - like 99.9% of MS code, it is re-used and will be valid on later versions of the PE. :dubbio:

I will hopefully be able to verify this at a later date - I simply don't have the time right now, but suspect that you are right - unless the good MS guys have unintentionally broken something!

Regards,

Misty

#30 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

@Wonko
You are a genius :worship:  - but don't let the positive feedback go to your head :buehehe:

Due to a (not so serious if I'm honest) case of the dreaded "Man Flu" I've been left alone for most of the day and have been able to get on with some testing.

After some tests in a VM, diskmgmt.msc appears to be working in 32-bit versions of WinPE 3.1/4.0/5.0 - with IcemanND's registry settings (here - http://www.msfn.org/...winpe/?p=979055) and file list (here - http://www.msfn.org/...winpe/?p=979089). It's not working in WinPE 2.1. :ranting2:

IcemanND's approach of adding the registry settings when required might allow for the dependencies to also be added to the system32 directory after WinPE has booted - perhaps only if required for that particular boot. This would reduce the amount of bloat in boot.wim - if it works. I'll try and do some quick tests later. I'm working on an option for adding programs outside of boot.wim anyway, so this ties in with that approach.

A script is some way off and I have no plans to release anything just yet as my test scripts are a mess.

Regards,

Misty

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's not working in WinPE 2.1.  :ranting2:

Well, I don't think that there will be a revolution among the members because of the unbearable amount of grief such news may provoke. :whistling:

Most probably if you look back at Dietmar's list for XP and compare it to the working PE 3.x and later list you can find the issue, after all Vista is a bettered XP, only made (much) worse ;).

Wonko

#32 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Just finished a quick test with WinPE 3.1 (in a VM) and the files and registry settings for diskmgmt.msc can be added whenever you want - the file dependencies do not have to be in the system32 directory during boot and can be copied to it later (e.g. from a USB drive). Dependencies are 5.8 MB in size in WinPE 3.1.

Well, I don't think that there will be a revolution among the members because of the unbearable amount of grief such news may provoke. :whistling:

I suspect not. Vista never did have much of a fan base - in fact I remember a very entertaining thread on the 911cd forum titled "OT Are you Vista Ready".

Most probably if you look back at Dietmar's list for XP and compare it to the working PE 3.x and later list you can find the issue, after all Vista is a bettered XP, only made (much) worse ;).

If anyone has a burning desire to see it working in WinPE 2.* I'll let them do the hard work.

#33 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Updated project. Changelog -

* New option to copy non essential programs external to
boot.wim - refer to DOCs for more information.

* More Keyboard Layouts added - refer to docs

* Minor UI changes

* Documentation updated - quick start guide added

* Added scripts for the following programs
- LinuxReader
- PartitionGuru
- Drive Image XML

* dd and DriveImageXML (and possibly other programs) not
working with 6.3.9431 source files due to issues with wow32
and ntvdm.exe.

Regards,

Misty

DOCS ARE IN PROJECT DOWNLOAD AND - http://mistype.reboo...iles/index.html

#34 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:18 AM

@misty

Just made a MistyPE with your last version using  XP host OS and 7 x86 source, selecting all programs and every thing is runing OK, Thanks to you for including PartitionGuru, it is a very good partition tool.

I selected to put all programs into the Wim file and the final ISO is 173 MB wich is a very good size for my needs when an small ISO is required.

Best Regards

Edited by alacran, 14 October 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#35 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

@alacran
Thanks again for testing and the feedback. Just out of curiosity, did you try using the new keyboard layout option for es-MX (assuming you are using a Spanish (Mexican) keyboard) or did setting to Default work ok?

#36 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

@misty

The default setting works fine for me on my desktop (keyboard is es.ES), the other keyboard in use arround here is es.LA (Spanish Latin-american) this last one is very frecuent in laptops (not all), I have es.LA in my laptop.

The language is the one who is es.MX wich controls the format for numbers, money, dates.

Actually I have been trying your project only on my desktop, as KeyboardLayoutChanger v1.7.2.0 has only es.ES in order to be capable to use both, I'm going to make a PE with your option es.MX (guessing it is same as es.LA) and adding a script to copy KeyboardLayoutChanger to let me change to es.ES when requiered and I'll report back.

I think you shoud add a way to change keyboard on the fly because other people may have this trouble.

EDIT: KeyboardLayoutChanger v1.7.2.0 has all languages, I just saw the first window before.

Best Regards

Edited by alacran, 14 October 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just finished a quick test with WinPE 3.1 (in a VM) and the files and registry settings for diskmgmt.msc can be added whenever you want - the file dependencies do not have to be in the system32 directory during boot and can be copied to it later (e.g. from a USB drive). Dependencies are 5.8 MB in size in WinPE 3.1.

Good :), that is the actual reason why I am a genius ;), the overall assumption (that I managed to convince ONLY you :w00t: about) that a "modular" approach is possible and convenient. :smiling9:

Wonko

#38 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

@misty

As I guess your keyboard option es.MX is realy es.LA as confirmed with KeyboardLayoutChanger.

Just tested the build as told in my last post (#36), there was sucessfull, with KeyboardLayoutChanger I was able to change from es.LA (080a080a KBDLA.DLL) to es.ES (040a040a KVDSP.DLL) and back againg.

I strongly recomend you add this tool to your project, the user may decide if he/she needs to activate the script or not.

@Wonko

Yes, you are a genious.

Best Regards

Edited by alacran, 14 October 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#39 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good :), that is the actual reason why I am a genius ;),...

And so modest too....

...I strongly recomend you add this tool to your project, the user may decide if he/she needs to activate the script or not....

It's easy enough to add a script for KeyboardLayoutChanger - unfortunately this only works in 32-bit builds. It is actually possible to change the language on the fly in WinPE by using the following command syntax (from here)-
wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0409:00000409
In this case 0409:00000409 refers to en-US.

This is (batch) scriptable and should also work in 64-bit builds. It's also a lite - low dependency method. I'll look at adding a script for KeyboardLayoutChanger and/or a custom batch and letting the end-user decide which (if any) to use. As it's going to be a bit tedious tracing all of the keyboard codes I'll add it when I feel a bit more motivated - I'm more interested in adding Diskmgmt.msc support at the moment.

Regards,

Misty

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

And so modest too....

Well, you started it all.
I am modest, only not all over, but in spots. ;)
http://thinkexist.co...ots/338398.html

I was born modest; not all over, but in spots.

Wonko

#41 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

It's easy enough to add a script for KeyboardLayoutChanger - unfortunately this only works in 32-bit builds. It is actually possible to change the language on the fly in WinPE by using the following command syntax (from here)-

wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0409:00000409
In this case 0409:00000409 refers to en-US.

This is (batch) scriptable and should also work in 64-bit builds. It's also a lite - low dependency method. I'll look at adding a script for KeyboardLayoutChanger and/or a custom batch and letting the end-user decide which (if any) to use. As it's going to be a bit tedious tracing all of the keyboard codes I'll add it when I feel a bit more motivated - I'm more interested in adding Diskmgmt.msc support at the moment.

Regards,

Misty

Big list of codes: http://msdn.microsof...global/bb895996

They say it is for XP and Server 2003 but I guess it hasn't change in more recent OS's, perhaps some additions if any.

Take your time, I send this link only as an info I found, that may be usefull for you. I searched for this info to test it in Command Line because I'm planning to make an x64 build (I don't usually make x64 PE's, this is going to be my first one), just to test it.

I have a question: For an x64 PE build, Can host OS x32 be used, or it most be x64?

Regards

#42 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Big list of codes: http://msdn.microsof...global/bb895996 .......... I have a question: For an x64 PE build, Can host OS x32 be used, or it most be x64?

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out later. Host OS doesn't matter - most of my builds have been done on a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

I really only included the option for 64-bit as some people might not have 32-bit sources available - the only time I ever use 64-bit versions of WinPE is to install 64-bit Windows Vista/7/8/8.1.

The 32-bit builds of MistyPE support far more programs and hardware - however it's fun to experiment.

Regards,

Misty

#43 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

@alacran
Just checked the link out - Bl**dy hell! I won't be scripting all of those!! Will add what I think are the most common ones and will perhaps take requests.

#44 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

@misty

Maybe you can make an Script and request the end-user to fill the info required for he's/she's needs (perhaps up to only 5 keyboard codes), taking that info from a list included in your projet.

Regards

#45 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

@misty

Maybe you can make an Script and request the end-user to fill the info required for he's/she's needs (perhaps up to only 5 keyboard codes), taking that info from a list included in your projet.

Regards

@misty

The requested info may be just copy from the provided list and paste to a text file located on X:\MistyPE\Projects\Cache\Programs\Keyboard_scripts\Keyboards.txt and make your Script take it from there. Of course you use any name you like better for that folder and file.

Regards

Edited by alacran, 14 October 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#46 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

@alacran
Please test the attached batch file in WinPE - you will also need to copy FINDSTR.exe to the same directory as the batch, or X:\Windows\System32

It's a work in progress until the next release of MistyPE and I'll try to add more codes.

This should also work in 64-bit builds. Currently it's just a fraction over 64 KB when you also include FINDSTR.exe from Windows 7 SP1 sources.

A nice lite solution. I'll still add a script for KeyboardLayoutChanger as requested.

Regards,

Misty

Edit - forgot to mention that the batch will check the "HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International" registry key for the current Locale and will use this data. Basically executing something like...

wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0409:00000809
... in this example the UK (en-gb) keyboard is used in en-us WinPE

Attached Files

• alacran likes this

#47 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

@ misty

The PC I'm using right now has a dual boot XP SP-3 and Win7x64 SP-1 so there are several FINDSTR.exe available.

1.- Using the one from XP located in system32 (28 KB) v5.1.2600.5512: Running your batch  I changed keyboard from es-mx to es-es and back (verified in note pad), just by typing the corresponding code to each one, there wasn't any automatic change.

2.- Using the one from 7x64 located in system32 (69.5 KB) v6.1.7601.17514: Your batch geve error, I guess this one is x64.

3.- I didn't test using the one located in SysWOW64 (61.5 KB) v6.1.7601.17514, I found it later after reboot the PC, I guess this may be x86, but if that is the case, I assume you already tested it.

As you can see both ones (#2 & #3) have the same version, that's why I wrote the size too.

I don't know if this info is enought or if you want me to test using the #3.

Regards

Edited by alacran, 15 October 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#48 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

....1.- Using the one from XP located in system32 (28 KB) v5.1.2600.5512: Running your batch  I changed keyboard from es-mx to es-es and back (verified in note pad), just by typing the corresponding code to each one, there wasn't any automatic change....

@alacran
Does this ("there wasn't any automatic change") mean that the batch didn't work?

What was the output from running the batch in WinPE? When I set the keyboard to es-mx it was the following -

wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0409:0000080a
Setting as es-es -
wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0409:0000040a
The first four number (before the ":") will vary.

I noticed that if a document is left open, the key mappings do not change until the document is closed and reopened. On my system, the top row of keys (with shift) resulted in the following in es-mx -
°!"#$%&/()=?¡
And the same key sequence using es-es -
ª!"·$%&/()=?¿
Regards,

Misty

Edit - don't worry about the version of FINDSTR - as long as the output appears similar to the codes above then it's working fine.

#49 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Edit - don't worry about the version of FINDSTR - as long as the output appears similar to the codes above then it's working fine.

JFYI, and cannot say if useful :unsure:, there is seemingly no real reason to use FINDSTR, plainer FIND will work alright.

Additionally, you don't really-really need FIND or FINDSTR, but more than that no real reason to use a temporary file.

REG QUERY "HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International" /v Locale > "%temp%\random.test.txt"
FOR /F "tokens=3" %%i IN ('FINDSTR /C:Locale "%temp%\random.test.txt"') DO SET CURRENT.REGION=%%i
set CURRENT.REGION=%CURRENT.REGION:~-4%

can be replaced with:

SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
FOR /F "skip=3 tokens=3" %%? IN ('REG QUERY "HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International" /v Locale') DO SET CURRENT.REGION=%%?
set CURRENT.REGION=%CURRENT.REGION:~-4%

Wonko

#50 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Wonko,

I knew there was an easier method and you have put me on the right track. Slight change to your code
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
FOR /F "skip=2 tokens=3" %%? IN ('REG QUERY "HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International" /v Locale') DO SET CURRENT.REGION=%%?
SET CURRENT.REGION=%CURRENT.REGION:~-4%
skip=2 is working, not skip=3

Dependancies are now limited to the size of the batch file and txt document - currently 2.7 KB!!!!!!

I've not tested this in WinPE 2.*, but it seems to be working ok in other versions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe10, winpe5, winpe4, winpe3, winpe2, winpe

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users