Fast Booting With Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

===================================================
================
Fast Booting With Windows XP
(windows XP Tips)
===================================================================

Hi

Thera are alot of times that your boot time is long,and you see
animating boot screen about almost 40,0r 50 seconds and any way
the boot process is so long.

When you ask from your friends what to do? mostly they answer that
open msconfig and disable unneeded programs starting.

you do that but still you have long boot time,that hearts you.

By running the reg file below you will see that boot time will be
very fast.of course i suppose that Long boot time is not because of
some errore in your system.
------------------------------
0pen notepad and type lines below on it ,then save that by any name
but with extention of .REG,Then run it.
(Or you can download the reg file from attachment,and run it.)

------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session

Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000001

------------------------------------

Thats all ,enjoy it.

shirin

------------------------------------
P.S. High all, I have taken the liberty of amending "Shirins" post slightly as later on in the subsequent posts you will find that the "EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000005 is an undocumented switch which although widely claims to improve boot speed up time is somewhat misleading. I have made minimal changes as advised by Peter in a later post & with kind permission of Shirin!

However I would like to gone on to say & express my personal gratitude to Shirin for taking the time & trouble to share this information & don't feel bad about it (Shirin) because we all from time to time take on board information which to all intents appears beneficial, only to find we have been misled! Take heart "my friend" this is all part of the learning process, I know because I have had to be corrected Many Many times, perhaps more times than I would care to admit :thumbup: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! the only additional thing, I think I should add is, "Always back up your Registry before making any Changes" the file is a ".php" file, once downloaded rename the file to index.reg then run it!

Regards & Respect,

ispy ;)

EDIT by psc:

May I include me in the list of editors, because the current discussion may confuse some new visitors.

The original suggestion has been to change "EnablePrefetcher" to the value of 5

The whole discussion went around the question that a value of 5 is -following documentation- logically the same as a value of 1.
(But who knows Bill G. and his secrets?)

To make clear: If you do the changes originally suggested (value 5) there (propably!) is no harm for your system.
If you use 1, there is also no harm for your system.
Same with 0, 2, and 3.
You personnally have to check, which is the best value for your individual PC.

Attached Files

#2 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hi Shirin ;) ,

I like the fact with your option you do not need any other external files to achieve a faster boot time. Also I suppose it depends also a lot on the amount of software that your operating system has to load has a direct bearing on how long it will take, the less that loads the faster the overall boot time to desktop complete, as it were!
Also as an alternative Micro$oft offer a little gizmo called Bootvis that apparently speeds up boot times amounst other things e.g.

Customer research shows a frequently requested feature that users want from their PCs is fast system startup, whether from cold boot or when resuming from standby or hibernation. The Windows development team at Microsoft has taken bold steps in making fast startup PCs a reality with the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

The design goals for Windows XP on a typical consumer PC are:

- Boot to a useable state in a total of 30 seconds
- Resume from Hibernate (S4) in a total of 20 seconds
- Resume from Standby (S3) in a total of 5 seconds

Boot and resume times are measured from the time the power switch is pressed to being able to start a program from a desktop shortcut.

BootVis can be obtained from: http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=664 for those who are interested.

I have seen this on one web site as a warning however - Note: Whatever you do DO NOT install a tool called BOOTVIS from Microsoft, unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing and have good knowledge of the tool and it's use.
Here is a link to a guide for usage: http://www.weethet.n...are_bootvis.php

Great Tutorial I was unaware you could do this with a simple reg file :thumbup:

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :thumbup:

#3 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hi Shirin :thumbup: ,

ispy ;)

-----------------------------------------------------
Hi my dear friend ispy

1. Thank you for your replay,attention and mentions

2.The way i talked about works very well,Me and my friends all used,every time was OK,But
User should note one important tip:

Some programs are sensetive for this tweek,for example KasperSky Antivirus.so for this example
by using reg above,system will boot very fast,but antivirus does not be loaded as fast as befor appliying reg file,and some times,some programes will take about a minute or two after loading windows to be
loaded.

So i think that it is better that user after runing reg file,check to see is their any unloaded needed
programs or not.If not,that's all right,other way they can change their registry.
the default value of windows is 3 that is changed by reg file to 5

dear numo ,I am really sorry for my english,i can not say my ideas as i want,so i tell by the words
that is not complete,and even some times may heart some ones

have very nice times
shirin

#4 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hi Shirin :thumbup: ,

Do not worry about your English

dear numo ,I am really sorry for my english,i can not say my ideas as i want,so i tell by the words
that is not complete,and even some times may heart some ones

Just take a look at the interest in your tutorials there are very few queries & by posting & making tutorials your English will improve. Also I cannot speak a word of your language, you are at least Bilingual, you have the advantage over many!

You are "valued highly & appreciated" keep up the good work!

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy ;)

#5 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Yep, don't think that your english is bad or that you are offending anyone ;) cool one and about the thing that the programs load for 1 min or 2 than the trick is do some reg cleaning and delete unwanted programs :thumbup: and do not forget defragmenting so CCleaner can do most of those things while windows has its own defragmenter.\\

/benxhi

#6 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

I always love registry tweaks, but this one is bogus.

You see, "EnablePrefetcher" is a bit mask, thus unlocking some hidden feature would add the value 4, resulting in 3 + 4 = 7.
These are the documented features:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Name: EnablePrefetcher
Type: REG_DWORD
Value:
0 = Disabled
1 = Application launch prefetching enabled
2 = Boot prefetching enabled
3 = Application launch and boot enabled

Whats 5 doing then I hear you ask? Well there is no feature 4, the system enables 2 because it fits in 5, but the rest is not 1, so that is all that happens.
This is the same as setting it to 2 from the start, explaining faster boot (whole prefetch bucket for it) but slower programs.

Kinda reminds me of "AlwaysUnloadDll" ;)

The easiest way to speed up boot time is to use hibernation, get a clean install and not a recovery rollback, and/or stay away from shareware (crappy uninstallers).
Also, disabling the boot-animation saves at best 1 second, not more.

Having said all this, shirin its very nice that you take time to write these tutorial-type things, just not all info on the net is gold.
Cheers,
Flo

#7 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

[quote name='FloKo84' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:20 AM' post='37301']
I always love registry tweaks, but this one is bogus.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dear Floko84

1.I have tested this tweak in my system and about 5 other systems
all the time was good.Just my antivirus is sensetive for this
tweek and it is enabled 2 minutes later when i use this reg change.

2.There are alot of sites that talked about this tweak.you can see
some of them below:

http://www.bloggeraz...g-any-software/
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=247
http://the-technocra...01_archive.html
http://geeklimit.com...r-speed-part-4/

3.As i tolled in "post 3",my answer to dear ispy in this page,some
softwares are sensetive to this tweak,and may load latly after
using that,But not all programs behave so..

shirin

#8 ToonPal

ToonPal
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

A few years ago, I installed the Intel Application Accelerator (old, discontinued optimized IDE controller driver) on a relative's Windows XP system and saw how, after boot-up, there was no flurry of hard disk activity when Windows started filling out the Explorer system tray icons. At the time, I thought it was the Accelerator itself, but then I ran into an interesting web article somewhere.

I read about how Intel's Application Accelerator would do more than just install an optimized IDE controller driver in Windows XP to boost system performance. It would also enable an undocumented feature of XP, which was revealed in the article, that significantly reduced startup time, something that gave it an edge over the optimized IDE drivers of competing chipset manufacturers such as Via and SiS.

Unfortunately, my mind was more focused on another task at the time, so I never took down that information. Afterward, I couldn't find that jewel on the Internet again and, as such, have never been able to try it out. The Intel Application Accelerator has long since been discontinued and, if I remember correctly, only worked on i81X chipset systems in its final release.

Now I receive this in my email box, and I'm wondering, "Hmm... Could this be that undocumented XP feature that has been eluding me for so long?" I can't wait to try it out!

#9 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hi Everyone ;) ,

If anyone is unsure about this tweak you could run a simple experiment!

Why not drill down to the said registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session

Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters] & make a note of all the relevant settings manually or preferably...

Use a freeware program called "Karens Registry Ripper v1.2" from here http://www.karenware...ls/ptregrip.asp install & export the registry key & before administering the tweak (Whilst your at it you could make a backup of the whole registry?) . Also carry out a timing exercise to see how long your PC takes to boot before the tweak, say a couple of times.

Then run the reg tweak, carry out a couple of reboots and re-time the whole booting process, you will then be able to determine any improvements in boot time then. If you are not happy with things then re-apply the registry backup made with the registry ripper to replace the exported key again & change it back to the previous settings.

They do say before carrying out any registry tweaks that you should always make a backup of your registry before undertaking any alterations should you damage your registry - this statement is particularly applicable to those who know very little about the registry!

Why not undertake the tweak & post your findings to determine a consensus of opinion from practical examples, this way it is easy to undo any changes made if you are not happy for any reason?

Regards & Best Wishes,

#10 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Dear friends

1.First i have to thank dear "ispy" for this nice replay.By the way he saied there
will not be any problem to be afraid of.

2.Changing registry settings is not so hard for advanced users.by the way it is better
to allways make backup your registry befor making any changes.

3.The change,i have talked about in this tutor,is very very simple,you just change the
number "3" to "5" in address i saied (most of the times the number 3 is default for
your xp sp2 system).

4.If after changing as i said, every thing was as you want , there is no problem to be
afraid about, But if you had problem just go to that address and change nuber 5 to 3
every thing will be back as befor changing registry.
or you can open my reg file (in attachment of tutor) by notepad, change 5 to 3 on it
save that,then run it.every thing will be the same as time befor applying changes.

5.I think this kind of change is very easy to test.

have good times

shirin

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Dear friends

1.First i have to thank dear "ispy" for this nice replay.By the way he saied there
will not be any problem to be afraid of.

2.Changing registry settings is not so hard for advanced users.by the way it is better
to allways make backup your registry befor making any changes.

3.The change,i have talked about in this tutor,is very very simple,you just change the
number "3" to "5" in address i saied (most of the times the number 3 is default for
your xp sp2 system).

4.If after changing as i said, every thing was as you want , there is no problem to be
afraid about, But if you had problem just go to that address and change nuber 5 to 3
every thing will be back as befor changing registry.
or you can open my reg file (in attachment of tutor) by notepad, change 5 to 3 on it
save that,then run it.every thing will be the same as time befor applying changes.

5.I think this kind of change is very easy to test.

have good times

shirin

Please let me repeat what FloKo84 already said in a previous post:

To change the number from 3 to 5 may change something in the startup behaviour. But logically it is the same like 'from 3 to 1'

There are only two prefetch behaviours to toggle, defined by a bit:

1: Application launch prefetching enabled
2: Boot prefetching enabled (drivers, system DLLs etc.)

And as possible combinations are besides 1 and 2:

0: prefetching disabled
3 = 2 + 1: Application launch prefetching and Boot prefetching enabled

5 = 4 + 1, but for 4 there is no definition. Therefore 1 brings the same result like 5.

What you do with 5 is: switch off Application launch prefetching. Tat can be seen from the behaviour that some apps need more time to start.

In order not to publish 'wrong facts' here, I suggest that you change the '5' to '1' in your primary post.

Peter

#12 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

HI every body

1.I talked about a tweek that i have seen that in more than 20 sites,and i gave some of the
links in post #7

2.I clearly said that how was changes in my exprements.and also how you can come back to the
state "before applying changes" in easy way and also i talked about problems that may happen
by this tweak.

3.Microsoft product is very nice,but it is not open source...why??? may be no body knows..
every thing that we know about windowses are with respect to:1)_windows ducuments , 2)_
our exprements.you think that windows is just what micosoft says?..if so why he does not
give sources of his products..I think that some times we should find other informations
that are "closed source" by our exprements. I do not mean this tweak.

4.So the words like "this one is bogus" or "publish 'wrong facts' " or "there can be only stupid
answers", is not polite.I have seen this tweek in more than 20 site,I have tested it,
and i have told the relative problems.i am not making some thing from my dreams.options 0,1,2,and
3 are what microsoft says , but are you sure microsoft says all facts??

I am very sorry for getting some unpolite statements from dear friends.

shirin

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

HI every body

1.I talked about a tweek that i have seen that in more than 20 sites,and i gave some of the
links in post #7

2.I clearly said that how was changes in my exprements.and also how you can come back to the
state "before applying changes" in easy way and also i talked about problems that may happen
by this tweak.

3.Microsoft product is very nice,but it is not open source...why??? may be no body knows..
every thing that we know about windowses are with respect to:1)_windows ducuments , 2)_
our exprements.you think that windows is just what micosoft says?..if so why he does not
give sources of his products..I think that some times we should find other informations
that are "closed source" by our exprements. I do not mean this tweak.

4.So the words like "this one is bogus" or "publish 'wrong facts' " or "there can be only stupid
answers", is not polite.I have seen this tweek in more than 20 site,I have tested it,
and i have told the relative problems.i am not making some thing from my dreams.options 0,1,2,and
3 are what microsoft says , but are you sure microsoft says all facts??

I am very sorry for getting some unpolite statements from dear friends.

shirin

Sorry, shirin!

I did not intend to hurt or attack you in any way.

I only wanted to clarify.

At http://forums.tweakg...read.php?t=1341

you can find:

Attached File  tweak.gif   17.04KB   143 downloads

Peter

#14 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

Sorry, shirin!

I did not intend to hurt or attack you in any way.

I only wanted to clarify.

At http://forums.tweakg...read.php?t=1341

you can find:

Attached File  tweak.gif   17.04KB   143 downloads

Peter

=====================
Hi dear psc

Thank you for your fast replay

shirin

#15 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi Shirin etc ;) ,

I do not want to cause you any distress to you Shirin as I hold you in high regard! If you feel this post should be started as a separate topic I will delete & remove, I merely want to compliment rather than hijack your post but you find some of the information beneficial also? It may also give you increased exposure.

To explain I have found a .PDF file that claims to increase boot time of XP by as much as 60%! Very often these claims are exaggerated I know, & I cannot vouch for the tweaks in this document so if you want to use it, or anyone else for that matter - please do so at your own risk!

It may be best for the novices to wait for feedback from some seasoned campaigners on Boot-Land before undertaking of these enclosed tweaks, also please when undertaking any registry tweaks back up your registry first, see a freeware program called "Karens Registry Ripper v1.2" from here http://www.karenware...ls/ptregrip.asp install & export the relevant registry key & before administering the tweak (Whilst your at it you could make a backup of the whole registry?). I would hate to think I was responsible for corrupting anyones PC so again please exercise caution.

I would however welcome feedback from experienced members on the enclosed contents of the .pdf file & maybe offer guidance as to those tweaks that you consider safe for novice users, intermediate & those that you consider advanced etc! I offer this information like a banquet take from it what you want & leave the rest if is unpallitable to you?

ENJOY!

Regards & Respect,

Attached Files

#16 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

[quote name='ispy' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:32 PM' post='37436']

=====================================================
Hi My dear friend ispy

In this page I have learned more things too.

I think all of you are right.when i was thinking about contents of replays,i saw that they say
OK,and this tweak is not standard and ducumented.

because of this i searched the web about this object,i saw ,yes there are a lot of sites introuducing
this tweak,But none of them,has talked about the reasons of useing.
In replays in this page it is shown clearly not to use 5, and i agree

so you can delete this page , or you can leave it for users to read discutions to learn more
as i learned

thanks to all you good friends

shirin

#17 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi Shirin ;) ,

If you have found further information that changes the status of your post#1 why not as Peter suggests

I suggest that you change the '5' to '1' in your primary post.

Peter

In that way you will not need to delete, just a suggestion, you could also put a note to say why you have made an edit so as not to confuse visitors arriving at this post?

Regards & Best Wishes,

#18 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Hi Shirin ;) ,

If you have found further information that changes the status of your post#1 why not as Peter suggests

In that way you will not need to delete, just a suggestion, you could also put a note to say why you have made an edit so as not to confuse visitors arriving at this post?

Regards & Best Wishes,

========================================

Hi dear ispy

I like you and your helps and mentions
So ,because i know you understand this things better than me,would you do the best adjustment?

thanks alot

have nice times

shirin

#19 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi Shirin & All ;) ,

I have made minor adjustments to post#1 to reflect the advice by Peter in Post#11 in an attempt to clarify the content of this whole topic, if you are a visitor to Boot-Land please read post #11 & post #1 to understand to the context of the changes made to the registry setting e.g.!

I suggest that you change the '5' to '1' in your primary post.

Regards & Best Wishes,

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi Shirin & All ;) ,

I have made minor adjustments to post#1 to reflect the advice by Peter in Post#11 in an attempt to clarify the content of this whole topic, if you are a visitor to Boot-Land please read post #11 & post #1 to understand to the context of the changes made to the registry setting e.g.!

Regards & Best Wishes,

@shirin and @ispy

:thumbup:

Peter

#21 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hello everyone,
what a discussion in my absence! I have a few things to clarify:
  • At no point I meant to be bashing shirin, please dont feel let down. His tweak was still in the *it works somehow* category, so all was good. I just wanted to present what the documentation has to say on this, and it says clear and loud "can't be".
  • As written in my post, and from various descriptions of the effects, I still believe featrue 2 gets somehow enabled, not 1 - I had to wrap my head around it too, just remember its a Microsoft-parser that interprets these values.
  • So, editing over a post that contains info based on a third party (the other sites) with info that is speculative, is risky. I do believe right now it has the complete opposite effect with value 1.
  • Also I need to point out, any setting except the default 3 has drawbacks, application-prefetching is very important for any program using plugin-files (Office, Adobe products, Antivirus) and boot-prefetching is a no-brainer.
  • Windows tweaks become "legendary" fast. May it be the nature of closed source, other sites almost never testing or researching, or Microsoft's history of bad default settings. You must be careful with these things!
Additionally, more info on this topic:
  • Windows Server 2003 (and later) has the default setting of 2 here (boot-prefetch) because a server isn't supposed to start normal apps, just services. If you use your server more like a desktop, you might want to enable app-prefetching as well (3).
  • If your computer behavior (sys setup, preferred apps) changed, its a good idea to empty out the %WinDir%\Prefetch folder, should result in better performance after a few reboots.
Also, seeing how psc-Peter agreed with me, I come to believe the stereotypes are right, and backing everything up with logic is indeed a german thing ;)

Cheers,
Flo

#22 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hi FloKo84 ;) ,

Can I ask you to get together with Peter [psc] & amend Post #1 & my previous post as I am the eve of going on my holidays & things are a bit hectic at the mo! Otherwise visitors coming to this post will get confused as to which registry setting they should adopt & could damage their system?

I will be away for 1 week so if someone could make the necessary amendmants in my abscence I would be much oblighed, this topic I see, needs further discussion to reach a consensus of opinion maybe? Don't forget the index.php file will also need resetting on post one as it will have one set also! I see that 2No downloads have been taken to date also EEEeek! I think I will delete it as a precautionary measure just for now!
Regards & Respect,

#23 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Can I ask you to get together with Peter [psc] & amend Post #1 & my previous post as I am the eve of going on my holidays & things are a bit hectic at the mo! Otherwise visitors coming to this post will get confused as to which registry setting they should adopt & could damage their system?

See my edit in the first post.

Have nice vacation! ;)

Peter

#24 FloKo84

FloKo84

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

See my edit in the first post.

Very diplomatic way of putting it Peter,
but my recommendation would be:
If someone plans to play with this, try 2 (servers do it, cant be that bad) and nothing else.
The current 1 in the copy&paste .reg is still massively misleading!
Of course, either way no harm done.

@ToonPal:
The Intel Application Accelerator did, to my knowledge, 2 things to a system:
- Set "EnableBigLba" in the registry, which is obsolete as of XP SP1
- handle DMA more gracefully, related Article if you have a (CD-)drive that feels slow: Little-Known Tweak to Boost Hard Drive Performance!
It is still available here: Install aborts on non-i8xx chipsets

Sorry again to cause this confusion here, somehow I feel that every topic I take part in evolves to a big discussion, no idea why ;)
Flo

PS: Have a nice holiday ispy, and such a good timing to get out of northern europe with the rain and all.

#25 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

[quote name='FloKo84' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:32 PM' post='37567']
========================================
Hi all

I can not understand what is happening , may be this is because of my english. i had wrote
a tutor about a tweak that is used in a lote of sites in web that i have put links of some
of them in post #7 and you can get more places by searching
( "EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000005 ) in yahoo or other search engine .

And also i know atleast one popular program "Registry Mechanic" uses this tweak in
it's optimization section.

Yes ,There is no documentation to suggest that this setting that i saied. MicroSoft states
that valid values are 0,1,2,3 ,and The default value is “3”. But I have a question ,you
thing that all of above mentioned sites and programes that use value "5" are wrong and
just you are right?

I think you do not attention to one important point:

Me and may be most of Tutorial writers,Just publish our exprements,and we do not inforce
users to do as we did.The users are free to select what to do.and may be most of them
know many informations better than us.

In my exprement the value "5" works better than values 0-3.how??

I had a problem with my computer,the booting time was very long (2_3 minutes),this was
big problem for me because i need to restart my system several times for testing my
exprements.I know a lot of tweaks to make my computer to work better and faster,they
did not make effects as i wanted.the boot screen were animating about 10 to 14 times ,
to continue. by placing value "5" in registry for EnablePrefetcher ,the booting time
came to about .5 minutes and the animation of bootscreen,from 10-14 times just
animates 2 or 3 times by using value "5".

Now why do not we let users to do any way that they like.

You are just trying to say MS documents are right and all others are wrong.I agreed
with you about What MS doucuments say.But in my way I will allways trust to my exprements,
because i feel them,i see them

Last word :

I am just and just basic user but with a world of exprements.Do not ask me to trust
to your ideas instead of my expriments

shirin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users