3 replies to this topic

#1 sellyoursoul

sellyoursoul
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

i'm running puppy linux from hard drive using unetbootin in xp. is there any way that i can save my session before rebooting?

#2 fdalbor

fdalbor
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

i'm running puppy linux from hard drive using unetbootin in xp. is there any way that i can save my session before rebooting?

Did you ever get an answer to your question about saving a session and being able to reboot and have the changes remain on the rebooted USB drive.
I have asked the same question but I now see its been a year since you asked this question and I don't see that it was ever answered. fdalbor

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

It seems to me like both of you fell in the chocolate covered banana trap :cheers::
http://homepages.tes...red-banana.html

UNETBOOTIN is a tool to help setting up some Linux distro's on USB, from it's homepage:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Features

UNetbootin can create a bootable Live USB drive, or it can make a "frugal install" on your local hard disk if you don't have a USB drive. It can load distributions by automatically downloading their ISO (CD image) files, or by using existing ISO files, floppy/hard disk images, or kernel/initrd files, for installing other distributions.

Most Linux distro's can be set up in different ways, typically as "Live" or "frugal install" or as "Persistent".
The "live" won't save the session, as well as the "frugal install".
The "persistent" will.

Each distro has different ways, the mentioned Puppy Linux should be installed to the USB stick:
http://puppylinux.or.....g Started.htm

In other words, UNETBOOTIN is a "generic" tool to help in making bootable USB's, but does not "enter" in the specific settings of each Ddistro and in the different ways they can be installed.

;)
Wonko

#4 Odysseus

Odysseus
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

There are different ways of setting up Puppy to boot from the hard disk and have it save your sessions (a so-called persistent frugal install). Barry Kauler (the original developer) even describes one method involving GRUB himself.

I use Win XP 32 bit as my main OS (due to an unfortunate lack of support for drivers for my particular sound card in Linux), and hence use NTFS for my drives. I simply do the following:

1) Use GRUB4DOS as bootloader (install to MBR as well using e.g. BootIce). Make sure you also put grldr and menu.lst at the root of the HD you are booting from.
2) Obtain the version of Puppy you are interested in (e.g. Lupu-511) and put it in a directory (e.g. "_Lupu511") one level above root on any HD or partition you like (Linux doesn't care where it is located).
You should thus have 3 files in your directory: 1) INITRD.GZ, 2) Lupu-511.sfs, 3) VMLINUZ. You will also create a pupsav file after first run and shutdown (Puppy will ask you where to create and save it - just choose the correct drive and it will be saved in the root/_Lupu511/ directory.
3) Once you have done this, you need to tell GRUB4DOS about the existence of your Puppy by adding these lines to menu.lst:

[codebox]title Lupu511 (Boot HD/Dir) kernel (hd0,4)/_Lupu511/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd pdev=sda1 pkeys=XX psubdir=_Lupu511 initrd (hd0,4)/_Lupu511/initrd.gz[/codebox] * Note that the above specifies that the Lupu files are located in the directory "_Lupu511" on HD 0 (the first HD), on the first partition within the extended partition, which is referred to as "4". This partition is usually called drive "D:" in Windows. If you want to put your Puppy on the first partition of the first hard drive (i.e. "C:" in Windows), substitute (hd0,0) for hd(0,4).

** Also note that "pmedia" must be specified as "satahd" (not usb or cd) to enable direct saving. You can localize your keyboard layout using "pkeys" if you want, by exchanging XX for your keyboard layout code.

Repeat the above for any version of Puppy you also want to try out or help bugfix. Just place each version in it's own directory.

When you boot up now, GRUB4DOS will give you a choice of loading Puppy (press F2 if that is what you specified as the hot-key when installing GRUB4DOS).

If you are still feeling unsure about what it is you are doing, I recommend learning more about GRUB4DOS especially, but also Puppy Linux. The Murga-Linux Puppy forums contain suggestions for different set-ups.

The above set-up works perfectly for me on my system. It's also nice knowing that Linux is very versatile and will not try to hog/expropriate your entire system (unlike Windows).

Edited by Odysseus, 23 October 2010 - 08:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users