Photo

Configure and change WinPE Desktop shortcuts, wallpaper, etc. of any WinPE after it has booted

pestartup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

You can add your own Desktop shortcuts to any WinPE Desktop, change the wallpaper, add drivers and registry fragments, and autorun apps automatically after the WinPE OS loads. The changes are remembered and applied automatically on each boot.

This solution uses PEStartup and will automatically run after 20 seconds, provided ChrisR's Win10PESE WinBuilder Project was used to make the WinPE OS and if it includes the default 'Portable Finder Startup' plugin.

You can check to see if your WinPE is compatible by looking for the file X:\windows\system32\Portable Finder Startup.cmd once booted to WinPE. This looks for and runs the files \spam_startup.cmd.

The plugin can be found in WinBuilder at \Apps\System Tools\'Portable Finder Startup'.

Some Gandalf WinPEs based on WinBuilder Win10PESE (e.g. Gandalf Redstone 2) will automatically work because they have been made with the plugin enabled.

For all other WinPE's which do not have the WinBuilder 'Portable Finder Startup' plugin, once you have booted to the WinPE Desktop, you must manually run the \(the_oven)_Startup.cmd script by double-clicking on it. 

For details see http://www.rmprepusb...s/143_pestartup

• devdevadev likes this

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

@ steve6375

Hello steve, it is good to talk with you again, I downloaded this tool because I want to include it in my personal PEs, but I found some confusing information:

From your very good Tutorial 143:

Drivers: automatically install drivers every time booting into WinPE.
Drivers can be downloaded from
DriverPacks.
If you want to use your driver, compress it to a .zip file or use an ISO file.

And latter in your Tutorial:

- Automatically install the driver included in the "\Drivers, \Drivers_x64, \Drivers_x86 and \Drivers_XP" folder in the root of your USB.
You need to extract the files to this folder.

- \Drivers: loads ALL.drivers

- \Drivers_x64: for WinPE 64-bit.

- \Drivers_x86: for WinPE 32-bit.

AIO is on the root of USB stick.

My questions are:

Wich is the right place to put the drivers?

AIO\Tools\Drivers file

\Drivers\Drivers_x64 and \Drivers\\Drivers_x86 owhen x86 and x64 PE will be run.

\Drivers_x64 when only x64 PE will be run.

Extracted or Zip compressed?

...it will work for all your WinPE's that have Explorer included in the build

As you may already noticed my intention is use it mainly for loading drivers, when not available on the PE.

Some of my PEs do not have Explorer included, they use an alternative shell, i wonder if you know the dependencies of this tool?

Maybe I can add the dependencies on those PEs, so far I can open PEStartup_x64.exe or x86 versions running them directly from the .exe and I don't see any message as::   xxxxxxx.xxx is not available, bla, bla. bla.... or: cant find xxxxxxx.xxx

alacran

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

TBH I haven't actually tested that loading drivers works.

The latest versions use \Driversxxxx in the root AFAIK.

AIO page is here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users