Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP, Win7PE & Portable Apps!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#76 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Are you sure you checked R/W? I use DISM but still working on solution for you...

LOL, i was trying to do it on a machine without WAIK installed, i moved over to my server and it opened right up for LOL, TOOO MUCH GOING ON!!!! lol. some days i just need to stay in bed.

#77 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

arrgghh, i didn't close all windows before i unmounted my image, what is teh command line command for doing a image or wim clean up? i had a note on it and now i can't find my note. i know it was like the unmount command with a /force i think???

#78 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

imagex /cleanup

http://technet.micro.../dd799302(WS.10).aspx

#79 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

that's not the same command i had used, but worked and is much cleaner lol. thanks. i will post my result in a bit but this should fix most if not all my issues i am thinking.

#80 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Update: that worked to get the workgroup and computer name to configure correctly, i still have to manually map the drives. I am thinking that maybe this is a better method then auto mapping. Right now i have it set so that i have to approve new machines at my WDS server to boot the image, but once those are approved, they will always have access. Meaning they will always now boot the PXE OS if told to. what i like about this is that I can boot the OS at anytime from anywhere in the facility so long as that machine has been approved once. So i don't have to trudge back to my office and approve it. but i don't like this as now anyone could jump on and as this OS does not conform to our group policy, it could go anywhere with out knowing who is using it. As long as I don't auto map the drives, it would still need a user name and password to get around on the network. it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. for now i will leave it without the auto map. i need to play around some more with the programs, i was able to get Gimagex in there and working, i just need to move it to the desktop now and then figure out the Malware bytes and how to run and update it. i want to thank you again for this project, it truly will be a very useful tool for us. we are going to put MBAM, some trend micro tools and few other virus and malware tools i have in it to make this a master tool. Once this build is working, i am going to put the how-to on Spiceworks and give you as much credit as i can, i can really seeing this be a very useful admin tool.

the only thing i would really like to get working is the BGinfo, but you said you use a portable? which one?

#81 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

Once this build is working, i am going to put the how-to on Spiceworks and give you as much credit as i can, i can really seeing this be a very useful admin tool.

Make sure you give the credit to ChrisR and the team of experts who developed Win7PE_SE (link to project page in tut); Like I say in the tutorial, it's not my project; I just customize it to my liking, especially portable apps compatibility with other projects listed.

the only thing i would really like to get working is the BGinfo, but you said you use a portable? which one?

It's part of SiSuite2010 in the last batch of ppApps; I'll update it and post a new download link. Look in the tutorial under portable app's section.

Still working on the GimageX script, it's working fine but I need to test 64 bit part; also I'm working on adding a DISM GUI or at least context menu options... little more time ;)

#82 Adam Wade Ackerman

Adam Wade Ackerman

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I have Gimagex working now, i mounted the wim with Gimagex on my image server with WAIK installed. i was then able to go in a add all the programs i wanted to the desktop, directly edit the PENetwork.ini and make any other changes. i tried to find BGinfo to see if i could edit it's files, but i could not locate it. i am going to work on some tutorials today, i will post here how do the editing.

#83 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Looks like you've got it all sewn up but just fyi, updated SiSuite and GimageX ppApps were added and there's a script here if needed http://www.mediafire...5hix21zc2f7ansm

Glad you got it all working :)

#84 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Make sure you give the credit to ChrisR and the team of experts who developed Win7PE_SE (link to project page in tut)

:thumbsup:

Here an other Gimagex script (x86/x64) written by Galapo I have a little bit modified for Win7PESE, it uses Vista WAIK wimgapi6.0.dll and wimfltr.sys to put in "Path to wimgapi.dll, wimfltr.sys --> %Tools%\%SourceArch%\"
http://www.mediafire...wb96u08ddrgo098

:cheers:

#85 tgparker2010

tgparker2010
  • Patrician
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Here's a question that I'd like answered that's possibly germaine to theis thread... I've manageg to get All the Win7PE and the LiveXP builds to work and load, and even boot from my USB sticks! And they all work fine. Wooohooo! Despite the fact that My development system is on an WinXPSp3 Laptop and that I'm PRESENTLY using the Vista WAIK.

Why do the Win7PE builds display the Vista Boot splash screen on system Boot up?

Even when I was using the Win7 WAIK all my builds seemed to ALSO display the Vista Windows Boot splash screen system Boot up. Only the "discontinued" Win7RescurePE build displays the Windows 7 Boot splash screen on bootup. Is there a switch or option in the Winbuilder Win7PE script or hard code "tweak" to the script somewhere where I can force the build to use the Windows 7 Boot Splash screen? I would think that this must be a pretty common, it ought to be a "sticky", but this is the closest discussion that I've found. Any advise and or explanation greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TG

#86 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Why do the Win7PE builds display the Vista Boot splash screen on system Boot up?

There is an option under Build -> Copy files script, 'Win7 Animated boot logo (not recommended for slower computers)'. Default=unchecked because it gets tiring to see it at every boot ;)

Hope that helps.

#87 manukay

manukay
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Need some help with Winbuilder 080. Where is the %Globaltemplates%/workbench/common folder located?

#88 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

%GlobalTemplates% is WorkbenchCommon in your project directory ;)

So, if a script wants files located in %GlobalTemplates%Test directory, it's looking in WorkbenchCommonTest

• manukay likes this

#89 manukay

manukay
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thanks amalux. There is no directory called workbench. I read in a post that using the Explore button on the script GUI creates the needed folder (global templates/workbench/etc) if the needed is not there. But I kind find the Explore button. Can you help? Sorry for being an ignorant bother. Thanks.

#90 manukay

manukay
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Just one minute amalux. The workbench is created only after you use the play button. But if you need to put something in it, before you let Winbuilder play, do you create the folder manually? And any idea where the explore button is? Thanks again.

#91 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Well, just one minute manukay ;) All of my projects (from the tutorial you're posting in) have the directory created for you. If you're using a project not from this tutorial, then yes, you may need to create that directory on your own.

#92 manukay

manukay
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks amalux. Sorry for the delayed reply but, thanks to your hint, I was able to make a Win7PE_SE image using a package give here
http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/Compressed/
I downloaded the complete package and had to create the workbench and common folders manually.

Incidentally, I used with the package a script for Acronis TI 2010 that I found, while building, was prepared by you. It has been modified by someone (I forget his name) who gives you the credit for the original script. I am yet to test the Win7PE_SE ISO image that was created as best emulation did not work on my computer. I have a Windows 7 (Home basic) x64 bit PC.

Many thanks for finding time to reply. Regards

#93 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

Glad it all worked out ;)

#94 punyn00b

punyn00b
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hi. Any way we can get some updated links for downloading your PEs in the tutorial? MegaUpload has been seized and none of the links given are accessible. I'd really like to get one of these things that's already put together and loaded up with some tools so I can see what goes where and how the process works because right now I'm pretty lost. Trying to create a fully customized boot disk with a custom boot menu layout and a bunch of different bootable options/tools (probably leaning towards Easyboot on this because I can't figure out what to do on ISOlinux), a custom Windows 7 PE with the tools/setup of my choice, and a copy of Knoppix with a custom wallpaper. So far I've managed to accomplish none of this, with the Windows 7 PE build being particularly difficult for me to figure out. Like I said, I'd like to see a live copy of this thing that actually has some tools and is working so I can get a little closer to accomplishing what I'm trying to do here. :dubbio:

#95 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

Actually, several links to each project are still working... I'll be updating and removing bad links soon ;)

http://www.wupload.c...2/W7.110911.exe
http://www.wupload.c...2/LX.111211.exe
http://www.wupload.c.../LXC.102011.exe

#96 punyn00b

punyn00b
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

Ah, much appreciated my friend. :thumbsup:

#97 cefcom

cefcom
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Guatemala

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hi:
I've used LiveXP with ppApps in the past and everything works just great.
Now I am eager to try your most recent version. Unfortunately, the links to ppApps seem to be dead also.
Would very much appreciate, if you could upddate those links too.
Regards.

#98 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, looks like MultiUpload is down (can't say if permanent or temporary), I'll try to upload somewhere more stable but it will take some time; try back tomorrow. Sorry for inconvenience :(

#99 cefcom

cefcom
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Guatemala

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hey thanks Amalux.
Superb job as usual :clap:

#100 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member