54 replies to this topic

#26 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

I'm open for anything.

But i think, i may know where the problem is!

The first download after starting WB works fine, only all following downloads, no matter if they are the ini or the scripts, fail.
Looks like you don't clean up properly after each download.
Only the one without a prior download and fresh initialisation works flawless.

Why others don't have the same problem? Maybe the new TCP/IP stack of SP2 is more 'programmer friendly' and fixes this problem by himself.

#27 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

If SP1 doesn't support this function then we can assume that this issue likely extends to all win9x and pre-XP SP2 OS releases.. :P

I'll try to find some built-in packages that don't resort to dll's.. :P

#28 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

If SP1 doesn't support this function then we can assume that this issue likely extends to all win9x and pre-XP SP2 OS releases.. :P

I'll try to find some built-in packages that don't resort to dll's.. :P

I don't know if it helps but I use both sp1 and sp2 in 2 computers and winbuilder works fine. If you want I'll conect my dsl modem with usb and see the results . I'm sure you will find this bug :P

John

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

All machines stop and reverse! :P
I come just back from our Testroom and tryed WB on a Win98 machine. It worked, after some initial complaining about not being able to download the updates.ini. It startet working flawlessly after 3 attempts.

Sorry couldn't use any other Win versions, all machines are busy testing our Vista fixed software.

PS: THat Computer was connected by a single NIC.

#30 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

I don't know if it helps but I use both sp1 and sp2 in 2 computers and winbuilder works fine. If you want I'll conect my dsl modem with usb and see the results . I'm sure you will find this bug :P
John

Thanks for taking the time to debug!

If it's not SP related, then I wonder where it can hang? :P

#31 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

I come just back from our Testroom and tryed WB on a Win98 machine.

Thanks for testing in win 98 ! :P

I'll update the wiki righ now!
EDIT: Can you test it also in Windows ME?

John

#32 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

@smiley
Will check, but i wouldn't get my hopes up, if i were you.
As far as i know, we only have Win98 and Win98SE of the non NT systems.

@Nuno
You will not believe it! WB works flawless on a XPSP2 inside a virtual machine on my computer! :P

#33 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

@Nuno
You will not believe it! WB works flawless on a XPSP2 inside a virtual machine on my computer! :P

:P :P :P

I'll google for a workaround to the current download function..

#34 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

The most stable (and freeware) pack of components I've found is Indy direct 10

But will take some time to replace the code and learn how to quickly handle it.

Will likely have to release 053 to replace the older 052 - it's been too long since last release.

Next step is also introducing a version check (using major and minor (beta) version) inside updates.ini to allow wb to download itself new updates to the .exe - this way it will be easier to keep up with new betas.

I'm hoping that since Indy10 has such experience in producing web components - hopefully they'll have this sort of issues already adressed properly - allowing to also use proxy servers - wich also seems to be a limitation on the current download functions..

:P

#35 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

The most stable (and freeware) pack of components I've found is Indy direct 10

But will take some time to replace the code and learn how to quickly handle it.

Will likely have to release 053 to replace the older 052 - it's been too long since last release.

Next step is also introducing a version check (using major and minor (beta) version) inside updates.ini to allow wb to download itself new updates to the .exe - this way it will be easier to keep up with new betas.

I'm hoping that since Indy10 has such experience in producing web components - hopefully they'll have this sort of issues already adressed properly - allowing to also use proxy servers - wich also seems to be a limitation on the current download functions..

Can't you just use the build in Windows function with Delphi? As long as you stick with the basics it should work down to W95a!
Besides, there is then no way in haven or hell, that someone can access the internet without WB being able to do so too. :P

#36 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

winbuilder has sucessfully built projects under win9x?? :P

Thought it would complain about fat32 filesystems and their different file sequence - it can be fixed too.. :P

I liked Indy because it seems compatible with win9x as well, using buit-in code and avoiding the use external windows dll's.

Not to mention on the extensive documentation they provide - a really handy assistance.

#37 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

winbuilder has sucessfully built projects under win9x?? :P

Thought it would complain about fat32 filesystems and their different file sequence - it can be fixed too.. :P

Never said that!
I said the downloader would work ok under W98, as this was the question, wasn't it.
If my error does depend on not me not having SP2, then it aöso shouldn't work with any other previous Windows.

#38 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

So... started WBB11 in Win98 on a virtual machine on my Laptop.
The XPLiveCD project complains about not finding cmd.exe. After i clicked ok 3 times the build continues. Looks though, as if it will take ages! :P

#39 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

So... started WBB11 in Win98 on a virtual machine on my Laptop.
The XPLiveCD project complains about not finding cmd.exe. After i clicked ok 3 times the build continues. Looks though, as if it will take ages! :P

Yes, I've never tested myself on a win9x either virtual or just the real thing - maybe after we get over these rough download edges.. :P

#40 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

MedEvil, can you please try this little program?

It uses the same functions as the ones on wb and it should provide a mean to debug why download occurs unders some conditions and fails in others..

Also included the delphi source code in case you wish to see how it works.

download.PNG
Attached File  Project___2007___Download.7z   186.92KB   327 downloads

#41 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

MedEvil, can you please try this little program?

It uses the same functions as the ones on wb and it should provide a mean to debug why download occurs unders some conditions and fails in others..

Also included the delphi source code in case you wish to see how it works.

download.PNG
Attached File  Project___2007___Download.7z   186.92KB   327 downloads

Still the same problem. First download of updates.ini after start works, the following not.
Download of http://beta.boot-lan... Alt del.script fails right from the start, though the progressbar shows 4 blue squares.
When trying downloads from other sites, the Downloader also always fails. :P

btw. Nuno if we wanna debug this fellow, we need a more verbose version. An error has occured, will not do.

#42 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

btw. Nuno if we wanna debug this fellow, we need a more verbose version. An error has occured, will not do.

Well, now it's positive that the issue is found on the http download component - I will replace by another to see the results.

the message box "An error has occured" comes from inside the delphi component StndActions - will use the Indy10 one since it also seems add support for proxies.

Thanks for these testings! :P

#43 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

medevil: One question to you use internet explorer to browse the web?

I was trying to login on msn messenger, but it refused since my IE was offline wich I didn't care since I use firefox.

Might not be related, but after removing the offline option from IE, msn was back online..

This is just an idea in case you migth try it out - I'm still puzzled on the reason why it won't work on your machine. :P

#44 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

medevil: One question to you use internet explorer to browse the web?

I use Opera,Firefox and IE, sometimes even OffByOne. All work without a problem.

Sorry! :P

#45 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thank you for trying - the mistery remains.. :P

#46 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

Thank you for trying - the mistery remains.. :P

If you could create a version, that shows what network settings WB is using/detecting, we could make a big leap forward. :P

#47 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

If you could create a version, that shows what network settings WB is using/detecting, we could make a big leap forward. :P

It's available from the standard actions component on delphi 7 - not sure yet on the inner works but my best guess is that it will default to the same settings from wich IE relies on too..

This is not an happy solution - Indy 10 is more complete, even adding support for proxy connections - will likely replace the current method soon.

#48 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

It's available from the standard actions component on delphi 7 - not sure yet on the inner works but my best guess is that it will default to the same settings from wich IE relies on too..

This is not an happy solution - Indy 10 is more complete, even adding support for proxy connections - will likely replace the current method soon.

It can't rely on the settings from IE, else proxys would work too.

#49 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

Yes.. should have remembered this one - will test on a proxy! :P

#50 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

Yes.. should have remembered this one - will test on a proxy! :P

Nuno, i have fantastic news for you! :P
Believe it or not i found the problem! :P
Though still no idea by what it is caused.

If one uses a dialup connection, like i do, there is a checkbox for automatic detection of settings. If that box is checked WB can't connect to the net. When i remove the check, WB works all of a sudden fine. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users