• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hi,

I want to make a boot cd for system maintenance. For example,
1. DOS (include ghost.exe and so on)
2. MSDaRT 5.0 (Windows PE for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003)
3. MSDaRT 6.0 (Windows PE for Windows Vista/Server 2008)
4. MSDaRT 6.5 (Windows PE for Windows 7/Server 2008 R2)

Using bcdedit.exe to edit BCD file, it can boot to 2/3/4 successfully. Unfortunately, it cannot boot to DOS. After googling, i found there was something wrong about bootsect (or bootsector) of DOS. I cannot extract the bootsect of DOS boot cd and add it to my boot cd correctly.

identifier {xxxx}
device boot
path \bootsect.dos <- WRONG!!!
description MS-DOS

Now, i can do it indirectly:
Vista Boot Manager --> GRUB4DOS --> DOS; set timeout of GRUB4DOS to 0.

But, how to boot to DOS directly via Vista Boot Manager on a boot cd? [Vista Boot Manager --> DOS]

Thank you.

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

But, how to boot to DOS directly via Vista Boot Manager on a boot cd? [Vista Boot Manager --> DOS]

I don't think you can.

The BCD doesn't accept bootsectors as "target" AFAIK.

You have to "loop" through another loader, the NT/2K/XP/2003 NTLDR has this feature, besides grub4dos.

We are used to use a "good" bootmanager (such as grub4dos) capable of loading anything and from it boot any of:
  • DOS
  • NT/2K/XP/2003
  • Vista/2008/Windows7
  • Linux

Particularly on a bootCD, being the CD particularly slow as a media, usually it is better/faster to use DOS as a gzipped disk image mounted to memory (grub4dos) or pkzipped or gzipped disk image mounted to memory (memdisk).

BTW, how is the weather in Afghanistan? ;)

jaclaz

#3 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Just to elaborate slightly on jaclaz's response, it is possible to use BCD to start one of those other bootmanagers -- either ntldr or grub4dos (grldr.mbr) -- and thus get to DOS via that secondary bootmanager's menu -- either boot.ini or menu.lst. If you make it a single default menu item for the secondary bootmanager, you'll hardly notice the intermediate step.

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Just to elaborate ....

Just to be picky :), and yes, it is one of my porcupine days :thumbup: and before the OP will make you notice this:

Now, i can do it indirectly:
Vista Boot Manager --> GRUB4DOS --> DOS; set timeout of GRUB4DOS to 0.

:)

jaclaz

#5 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Oh well, a little redundant info never hurt, especially with Mickeysoft weirdness and it's too late now to delete mine. :)

You can even go in circles. If you include c:\grldr.mbr="Start GRUB4DOS" in boot.ini for ntldr, that choice will also show up directly in your BCD selections. It almost appears as if MS started out to build a truly versatile bootmanager and then quit halfway. :)

Incidentally, I think setting the timeout for grub4dos to 0 (zero) means waiting indefinitely for a manual selection from the menu.lst if I recall correctly. Probably doesn't matter if there's just one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users