Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

Customized error pages (for 400 errors and others) should leave the failed link attempt addess alone like this one: http://virtech.org/not_here.html

You'll have to ask your hosting service provider about their set-up. They all handle error pages customization differently depending on their server OS and other hosting factors. If yours is using a header relocation that replaces the attempted link, there may not be much you can do about it. If they give you cPanel admin access, that's usually the easiest way to customize the pages thmeselves.

Posted Image

#27 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hi Arvy.

Thanks for the tip but I've already configured manually the .htaccess file to output all errors onto this page in particular - http://boot-land.net...aintenance.html

But it's still a bit weak and lacks some additional functionality like the feature requested by MedEvil - a link to return back to the link that caused the error page to pop up a bit in the same way as you implemented here - http://virtech.org/not_here.html

That's where I'm stuck at the moment.. :confused1:

#28 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

Unfortunately my time and google-fu skills are no good today my friend.. :confused1:

http://www.google.pt...&...oogle&meta=

http://www.poplarwar...m/htaccess.html
http://www.htmlbasix...rrorpages.shtml
http://www.yourhtmls...om404error.html

Any tips regarding how to get the page address that led to the error? :cheers:

Here is mine:

http://www.pchwforum.com/404page.htm

:cheers:

Part of my Apache .htaccess File:

RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymLinks
ErrorDocument 404 /404page.htm
RewriteBase /

#29 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

... a link to return back to the link that caused the error page to pop up a bit in the same way as you implemented here - http://virtech.org/not_here.html

Personally, I just use PHP page outputs such as: echo $_SERVER('HTTP_REFERER');

If you want to make it clickable, just add the appropriate <a href=...></a> tags.

#30 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

But it's still a bit weak and lacks some additional functionality like the feature requested by MedEvil - a link to return back to the link that caused the error page to pop up a bit in the same way as you implemented here -

Damn my communications skills must be breaking down again. :cheers:
NO NEED to change anything on the error page itself!
Just the mechanism that produces it, has to be fixed/adopted.
Display whatever you like, but let me use the refresh button to get the page i originally requested!
And that's done the way Arvy said, as far as i know.

btw. I believe, Peter is backing my up on this. :cheers:

:confused1:

#31 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

... let me use the refresh button to get the page i originally requested!

As you say, that problem is not the error page itself. Adding more links and other stuff to the custom error page is fine if anyone wants it, but doing that won't fix the issue that causes the failed link attempt URL to be replaced by the error page's own URL in your browser's address bar. That issue depends entirely on how the user is being redirected TO the error page. Mikorist's method of doing that also works fine in that respect.

#32 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for
letting us use the refresh button to get the page we originally requested :cheers:

also a suggestion for development
i noticed at msfn org today
Posted Image
good or bad idea, you decide :cheers:

and a regular report to remind:
mail notification is not working for 2 days, date of last mail i got
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:00:16 AM

nothing urgent, just reporting my findings :confused1:

#33 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi Lancelot.

I've enabled back the option that mentioned in the picture.

Still no luck about email, guess we'll need to wait.

#34 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

here are something for recommendation in mind:

i want ro remind an old suggestion of putting additional Edit option at top of the message. (maybe left of post number). I guess all tutorial writers, and long writers (like me) will love this option.

Also
I have something in mind for "View New Posts" section,
In "Get active topics for:" section, can we have an option of 2 days (and highly probably selected default). It will solve any gmt problem i guess :confused1:, after some hour (i guess at 01:00 here) list is empty, but 2days selected default would be nice which solves practically.

And, 25 topics in "View New Posts" section, i wanted to increase it to 50, but couldnt find a place, can you help about this?!

#35 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

In "Get active topics for:" section, can we have an option of 2 days (and highly probably selected default). It will solve any gmt problem i guess :confused1: , after some hour (i guess at 01:00 here) list is empty, but 2days selected default would be nice which solves practically.
And, 25 topics in "View New Posts" section, i wanted to increase it to 50, but couldnt find a place, can you help about this?!

TO both of the suggestions I really agree (with personal experience background!)!

Peter :cheers:

#36 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hmm..

These are internal settings of the forum that are somewhere hardcoded on the software where I'm unable to modify without changing the source code.

Maybe we need someone with experience doing these sort of things, I would at best, try my way to create a standalone page that would retrieve these newer posts the way you mentioned.

#37 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

i want ro remind an old suggestion of putting additional Edit option at top of the message. (maybe left of post number). I guess all tutorial writers, and long writers (like me) will love this option.

You want to remove our last bastion against endless posters?
No way! Write shorter!!! :confused1:

Also
I have something in mind for "View New Posts" section,
In "Get active topics for:" section, can we have an option of 2 days (and highly probably selected default). It will solve any gmt problem i guess :cheers:, after some hour (i guess at 01:00 here) list is empty, but 2days selected default would be nice which solves practically.

Just for the record. This does never happen!
I sometimes stay loged in for a few days, because i forget to log out. Never saw the list getting empty. Not even when after 24 hours the refresh button stops working and i have to click on 'View new posts' again.

The one feature i would love to exist, is that i can log out without all posts getting marked as being read. This is especialy annoying when i have no time to spend on the topics, but get a notification of a PM.

#38 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

Nuno Brito

Thanks for concern, nothing urgent/essential, just in my mind for a while to write here. :confused1:

#39 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

Here is sth i notice, that can cause trouble in future.

A while ago putting a delete option to messages is discussed (i support having delete option) and in the end we have delete option now.
What i notice is
For documentry i put lots of information referring message numbers

Here is an example

*cd-opera.script .url association malfunction post #164
*cd-opera.script x64 compatibility (solution found will be deleted when fixes are made)
read post #153 for more info

quote taken from here and you can see lots of other references to post numbers: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5429

If some users decide to delete some posts, than all documentry made will fail :confused1:

I have some ideas for solution, as i am not a programmer masters decide which is more suitable to use:
1) when a user decide to delete a message, can we preserve post number?
or
2) imagine medevil decide to delete post 502
http://img205.images...asdfasdfaw6.png
so after medevil deletes
http://img205.images...sdfasdf2yu5.png

for 2nd option, maybe instead of delete if there is a ready option as "hide", it will be faster to make for developers i guess!

So far none of my references failed becouse of a deletion, knowing we have good members with good intentions i hope wont happen after i post this message.

#40 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

Interesting thing started to happen in last days

i first think that reason is i write long posts, so i shorten them, and solved.
But a minute ago i had a weird thing
i edit my post here, post 549
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=49212
Reason for edit is, time passed and all images seen easly and i dont want people downloading same pictures all the time so i delete the img and /img marks in the address of pictures.

Example:
i made this
Posted Image
to this
http://img238.images...1/livexpgp9.png

but post disappeared.

I guess similar things will happen in following days, so i will be more carelful, reporting here my finding.

#41 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

If this thread is still about general server issues...
err404.JPG
this is all I get now when trying to dl any script from http://livexp.boot-land.net/ - seems to be independent of whether server is 'down' at that time, I have other ways of downloading the scripts; just reporting this 'annoyance'.

OK, more than an annoyance now, can't download any script file by any means. I can only download 'folder.script' from any page (so server is not down), no other file available :cheers:

#42 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi Amalux.

That was an anti-leech protection placed on liveXP to avoid bandwidth slurps.

You can only get the file if it was listed on index.html of livexp.boot-land.net or linked from our forums

Try it out:
http://livexp.boot-l...r/DrvImp.script

This restriction will remain until we can solve the bot annoyances.

#43 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

You can only get the file if it was listed on index.html of livexp.boot-land.net or linked from our forums

himm, so that is the reason i couldnt download batcher 1.20 from post 588
also link is broken in this message
i found http://nunobrito.100...om/batcher.html :cheers: but havent find time to try yet. :cheers:

#44 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hmm.. this restriction was only applied to livexp.boot-land.net

It might be a broken file download - I stopped using the host mentioned on the link some years ago.

The scripts that are included on batcher should still work with winbuilder, I think the used syntax is quite similar.

I used batcher as the initial test engine before releasing winbuilder a few months before.

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hi Amalux.

Try it out:

This restriction will remain until we can solve the bot annoyances.

orig: (still can't download)

new: (downloads fine)

Am I missing sth here? Why does your link work but the same URL from livexp.boot-land.net doesn't?

I am having the same issue downloading from the html page or from the index here. I can download from your link (right now) but other links I've tried in the forum like this one are hit and miss; didn't work for 3 hours last night but works now. I'm starting to believe in Peter's 'voodoo' :cheers:

#46 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Both links work on my case.

The reason why downloads are restricted is because of the HTTP referrer that is sent when you try to get a file.

The other reason why you probably didn't downloaded from Galapo's site is likely because of a server overload at that time.

In all cases, we're working to see if these annoyances can be solved for good.

#47 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Both links work on my case.

The reason why downloads are restricted is because of the HTTP referrer that is sent when you try to get a file.

The other reason why you probably didn't downloaded from Galapo's site is likely because of a server overload at that time.

In all cases, we're working to see if these annoyances can be solved for good.

Yes both links work for me as well (as posted in my example) because they are the same URL! :cheers: - The voodoo occurs because, even though, they have the same URL, they are NOT the same!! In other words, it depends how you access the URL, from what page/link you click on (and possibly from which location, i.e. I may not have the same experience as you clicking on the 'same' link. My experience is that I consistently can not download any program script from the html LiveXP updates page or from the LiveXP index
cdi_indx_forb_pg.JPG cdi_indx_forb.JPG
cdi_html_forb.JPG cdw_html_forb.JPG
db_html_forb.JPG ib_html_forb.JPG
ir_html_forb.JPG etc.

but I can dl any project/folder script from either location.
html_proj_ok.JPG html_script_ok.JPG

fyi, if I say I can dl from one and not the other, it means I test going back and forth between them 3-4x to confirm its not a 'normal' server down condition.
serverr500.JPG

I know you're trying your best to resolve these issues but maybe we're overlooking an obvious solution. Why can't registered users be given a password to access a 'private' server? At least until a more general solution is found, I can't think of why this wouldn't work and allow us to dl the updated scripts we need :cheers:

#48 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

amalux

wooooow, from a bugcatcher to a bugcatcher
i confirm amalux findings, guessing it is kind of "restriction" nuno mentioned to stop a bot from dowloading from a webpage.
i never clicked on them before, mostly i "copy link address" and put it on a post (when needed).
nice amalux :cheers:

adding:
pictures to show how gmt of site effects today showing in "view ne post", nothing serious.
http://img357.images...ime18481es6.png
http://img357.images...ctivethiru2.png

#49 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

Well, the forum is really unusable for me now, I don't post much anymore; too frustrating... I guess we'll see what happens :cheers:

#50 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Nuno

email notification for topic subsriptions dont work (at least for me) anymore

First Subject changed
from "Topic Subscription Reply Notification ( Boot Land )"
to "New replies to your messages! ( Boot Land )"
than after 8 emails, no more emails comes

I am not sure about the time, it writes "Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:25:35 PM" on last topic notification (me gmt+2)

Interestingly
email notification for personal messages "You have a new personal message ( Boot Land )" didnt effected so they still come quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users