3 replies to this topic

#1 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Without any configuration network support is started and VistaPE gets its IP-Address from the DHCP-Server (if available).
Is there an easy way to preset static IP-Address, Subnet, DNS, Default-Gateway for VistaPE?
(I don't want to use PE Network Manager)

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

If you don't want to use the network configurator, you could, I suppose, establish your own TCP/IP service presets by scripting them for HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters values directly. But I'm really not sure how well that would work, if at all, for multiple Parameters\Interfaces subkeys. Probably easier to use a modified penetcfg.ini file.

#3 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

If you don't want to use the network configurator, you could, I suppose, establish your own TCP/IP service presets by scripting them for HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters values directly. But I'm really not sure how well that would work, if at all, for multiple Parameters\Interfaces subkeys. Probably easier to use a modified penetcfg.ini file.

Hi Arvy,
could you explain how to use a modified penetcfg.ini?

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi Arvy, could you explain how to use a modified penetcfg.ini?

Sure. My pleasure.

The simplest way is probably to begin with the existing penetcfg.script (found in the Winbuilder VistaPE project under the Net group of scripts) and extract its PENetCfg.7z attachment to a work location. For detailed instructions on extracting a script attachment file, see this thread (bottom of first page).

Using 7zip to uncompress the extracted PENetCfg.7z file will give you five files, including the existing PENetCfg.ini default file and several .TXT files that offer some basic information about PENetCfg and its functions. For additional details, the developer's web site provides much more authoritative info than I could hope to cover here.

Once you have revised the PENetCfg.ini file's default settings to suit yourself, you can then replace the existing penetcfg.script attachment, again referring to this thread for the step-by-step process.

The only thing I'm not sure of at present is the exact place in the VistaPE start-up process that can actually run PENetCfg with a specific initialization (.INI file) reference. I'm not even sure if that would be necessary if the existing PENetCfg.ini is modified. You probably know more about that part of it than I do as I've only used the unaltered defaults myself. But, if you need some assistance with pinning it down, let us know. I'm sure someone here can help with that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users