#1 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

I need to take an image of a Dell755 using imagex. that is my goal and i need todo it ASAP,

I have created a standard boot CD with PE 2.0 using WAIK and it works on the network with virtual pc but wont when botting on the 755.
When i created the PE image i added the .inf files using the install/inf= command and they went in fine! but do i also need to add the other driver file i.e .cat and .sys if so what is the command for those?

After messing around i decided to use vistape with winbuilder but every time i create the iso i get the error 'error extracting system file' i have sent the log to the vistape email.
It doesnt not create the iso.

Does anyone have an easy way of using imagex, all i want todo is map a drive from the booted pc and take the image using imagex.
I have used barpe with ghost before but need to move away from that now.

I have tried to initialize the net card in pe .20 it succeeds but still wont get an IP and says that no adapaters are ready.

can anyone suggest the easiest way to boot and use imagex which will work with networking, i dont need anything else really!

thanks

indigo.

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

When i created the PE image i added the .inf files using the install/inf= command and they went in fine! but do i also need to add the other driver file i.e .cat and .sys if so what is the command for those?

Since you're in a hurry, I'll tell you my 'quick and dirty' way to install a NDIS 6.0 NIC driver using VistaPE. It may not be the easiest and it's certainly not the most elegant, but it works.

1) Create a temporary directory structure to contain all of the driver files in the desired end locations such as:
Windows\Inf\MyDriver.INF
Windows\System32\Drivers\MyDriver.SYS
Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\MyDriver.CAT

2) Zip or 7zip that whole path\file structure into a compressed file such as MyDriver.7z and put that file into a VistaPE project subordinate location such as \WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE\Drivers\MyDriver.7z

3) In the same location, create a very simple WinBuilder script (MyDriver.script) to extract the driver files into VistaPE's target directory during the project build process:
[Main]
Title=Drivers (MyDriver)
Selected=True
[Process]
Echo,"Processing MyDriver..."
ShellExecute,Hide,#$q%Tools%\7z.exe#$q,"x -y #$q%ScriptDir%\MyDriver.7z#$q -o#$q%TargetDir%#$q"

Hope that helps. If you want to get fancy, you can encode the compressed file as an integral part of the script, but that's for later. :thumbsup:

#3 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\MyDriver.CAT

it's not really requested :)

but you need add this:
Windows\System32\MyDriver.DLL

:(

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

it's not really requested :)

True. Not now. But indigo5 did ask what to do with the .CAT file and it doesn't hurt to be there just in case. :(

but you need add this:
Windows\System32\MyDriver.DLL

Yes, it was really just an example of putting "the driver files in the desired end locations such as". For any (NIC) driver that uses a DLL, that definitely would need to be included.

#5 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

True. Not now. But indigo5 did ask what to do with the .CAT file and it doesn't hurt to be there just in case. :)

Yes, it was really just an example of putting "the driver files in the desired end locations such as". For any (NIC) driver that uses a DLL, that definitely would need to be included.

thanks everyone! Interetsting idea baout using the 7zip. Yes its messy your right. Nightman has emailed me after i sent him a logfile from winbuilder. He says i have a corrupted script file...i should downoad them again apparently?

All did was press the download button in the winbuilder software :( so not sure what would corrupt them but anyway i will download again but i dont hold up much hope.

In regards to just winpe 2.0 not managed to get the net drivers to load at all yet (it works only in virtual pc).

#6 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

thanks everyone! Interetsting idea baout using the 7zip. Yes its messy your right.

Well, one way or another, and regardless of PE variety, the driver files must be in their expected locations for discovery and loading during the Windows start-up (PnP) process. If anyone knows a 'neater' way of getting them there, I'm all ears. :)

Nightman has emailed me after i sent him a logfile from winbuilder. He says i have a corrupted script file...i should downoad them again apparently?

All did was press the download button in the winbuilder software :( so not sure what would corrupt them but anyway i will download again but i dont hold up much hope.

Hmmm. Puzzling. But a 'roll your own' driver installer script as above has always worked for me. Well, almost always. Sometimes there are a few incidental registration issues that require special handling.

In regards to just winpe 2.0 not managed to get the net drivers to load at all yet (it works only in virtual pc).

Can't really add anything useful in that area as I've only used BartPE and VistaPE, but the same basic driver installer considerations should apply regardless. If the .INF and .SYS files are where they need to be in your PE build (are they?) the Windows PnP discovery process should find them. What does the MMC device management console have to say about the NIC status -- Unknown, Uninitialized, Other?

#7 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

True. Not now. But indigo5 did ask what to do with the .CAT file and it doesn't hurt to be there just in case. :(

Maybe NightMan meant that ".cat" files are not needed in PE environments... :)

#8 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

Maybe NightMan meant that ".cat" files are not needed in PE environments... :(

yes, all working fine without .cat files :)

#9 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

yes, all working fine without .cat files :)

sadly my problems with winbuilder have continued! I get the same errors i reported to nightman before he reccomended a copmplete reinstall and redownload of the script files etc. did that but same errors i am running it on windows 2003 with latest patches etc.

Perhaps next i will try it on my xp machines but it should work on 2003! im not sure if i can wast any more time which is a shame as winbuilder looks great!

no success with the pe 2.0 drivers either i cant beleive i am having so many problems with this! I blame it all on dell i bet i wouldnt have this issue with hp kit!

:(

#10 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

Perhaps next i will try it on my xp machines but it should work on 2003! im not sure if i can wast any more time which is a shame as winbuilder looks great!

I use Windows XP SP2 at home and Windows 2003 SP2 x64 at home.... you have very strange error, problem in scripts, or in your system... if you download all files and do it without errors all must work... http://www.vistape.n...12-20080218.rar - it's all latest VistaPE v.12 scripts in one file with error control ... may be it's can help...

#11 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

I use Windows XP SP2 at home and Windows 2003 SP2 x64 at home.... you have very strange error, problem in scripts, or in your system... if you download all files and do it without errors all must work... http://www.vistape.n...12-20080218.rar - it's all latest VistaPE v.12 scripts in one file with error control ... may be it's can help...

THANKS NIGHTMAN YOUR A LEGEND! Even if this doesnt work i still love you! :)

I have just built a bartpe disc for the 755 pc's and included ghost and imagex. The network support works with the winxp drivers...atleast i can fall back on that if all else fails. Good old Bart!

Ok nightman i will download the .rar and try it on another pc, thanks again

#12 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Maybe NightMan meant that ".cat" files are not needed in PE environments... :)

Yes, I understood what he meant. But they're not 'harmful', even if not needed, and I was just answering indigo5's question about what to do with them.

...you have very strange error, problem in scripts, or in your system...

Or, perhaps in the source(s) being used for (some) PE builds.

@indigo5: What source(s) do you use for VistaPE (Vista DVD, WAIK, both)? Have you seen any filecopy errors in any of the logs? BartPE is certainly a practical alterative using XP or 2003 sources, but I'm sorry to see you give up on VistaPE. I suppose your hardware could be an issue, especially if it has limited RAM.

#13 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

But they're not 'harmful', even if not needed

I agree... also I think that certain features are said in order to better explain some PE environments issues and/or behaviours... :)

#14 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I understood what he meant. But they're not 'harmful', even if not needed, and I was just answering indigo5's question about what to do with them.

Or, perhaps in the source(s) being used for (some) PE builds.

@indigo5: What source(s) do you use for VistaPE (Vista DVD, WAIK, both)? Have you seen any filecopy errors in any of the logs? BartPE is certainly a practical alterative using XP or 2003 sources, but I'm sorry to see you give up on VistaPE. I suppose your hardware could be an issue, especially if it has limited RAM.

I am using WAIK (most recent version from MS website) My hardware should be sufficient (dell poweredge server for imaging/building only, loads of space and loads of ram)

I will try and get that waik and vista pe installed on my xp machine(s) today and then let you know how it goes.

#15 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

I am using WAIK (most recent version from MS website)

Didn't Microsoft just put out an SP1 WAIK? Could that be the problem?

#16 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

The VistaPE v.12 beta should be okay with WAIK SP1 (or Vista SP1 or Server 2008) as the build source. But VistaPE v.11 can only use the original (non-SP1) Microsoft RTMs for both Vista and WAIK, AFAIK. The SP1 updates are quite significant, including both kernel and layout changes, so that any scripting that was created relying on only the original Microsoft RTMs for PE building is very likely to have some problems with those newer sources.

There can be User Access Control (UAC) issues when building on a Vista platform. So using an XP platform for the build process may be a somewhat more reliable choice, but I'm inclined to think that compatibility of the chosen VistaPE version with the chosen build source is even more critical.

#17 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

The VistaPE v.12 beta should be okay with WAIK SP1 (or Vista SP1 or Server 2008) as the build source. But VistaPE v.11 can only use the original (non-SP1) Microsoft RTMs for both Vista and WAIK, AFAIK. The SP1 updates are quite significant, including both kernel and layout changes, so that any scripting that was created relying on only the original Microsoft RTMs for PE building is very likely to have some problems with those newer sources.

There can be User Access Control (UAC) issues when building on a Vista platform. So using an XP platform for the build process may be a somewhat more reliable choice, but I'm inclined to think that compatibility of the chosen VistaPE version with the chosen build source is even more critical.

good news i got standard winpe 2.0 to finally work with the dell 755 nic! so i also have that to fall back on now. loads of options how nice.

i am waiting for the winbuilder to download scripts etc onto xp machine then i can test that. my connection has ground to a halt this evening.

cheers

indigo

#18 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

GREAT! Please keep us posted. I'm seriously interested in hearing the results of your discovery process.

#19 indigo5

indigo5

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

GREAT! Please keep us posted. I'm seriously interested in hearing the results of your discovery process.

Well....good news is i have a different error but bad news it winbuilder has now hung after the error has been displayed, here it is:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\WINBUI~1\Projects\Tools\7z.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06ea IP:0272 OP:63 6b 65 64 20 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I clicked 'ignore' the other option was close. But i really wanted this build to work to i optimistically clicked ignore...it has hung now :)

oh joy!

anyone?

EDIT: I tried again and the error apeared again! this time i clicked close the error reapearred 3 times i clicked close each time the buld continued and then i got system file error again and that was it!

argh!

#20 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm afraid you've got me completely baffled with that situation, indigo5. Sorry. It looks to me very much like a fundamental system error, but, hopefully, someone else may have seen something similar and be able to offer a more specific suggestion.
__
P.S.: Just a stray thought looking back over your run of bad luck. A safe mode virus check might not be a bad idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users