Photo
- - - - -

(Solved) Diskpart doesnt see my USB drive.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Aitrus

Aitrus

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music, Writing, Reading, Computers, etc...
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:26 AM

Just wanted to post the ending post as to solved so for future reference people can know what I have found and/or been helped with.

#1 Original problem "Diskpart cannot see USB flash drive".
From the instructions on how to make a VistaPE drive found here http://forums.slickd...h...62&t=705972

Solution:
Windows Vista, 2000, XP all have the "diskpart" utility. However only Vista can see removable drives in the list when having used the
"diskpart" > "list disk" command.

^^ But this does not really matter unless you are strictly going by that walk-through because the USBDevice script will format the USB device anyhow.

As for other problems I ran into.

#2 Successfully booting to VistaPE but experience a black screen with a white mouse an nothing else. Essentially a freeze, or as another person said, a black screen of death.

Solution:
#1 ""Turns out that beginning with version 010 (I think) the scripts were modified and unless the files during the build process have full "Everyone" rights, you can build the ISO for VistaPE, but during the boot process, the files that were created don't carry with them sufficient security permissions to allow the boot process to execute. Thus you seem good at first, but when doing the Vista WinPE 2.0 boot, it dies on a black screen with the cursor present.""

What to do?
""Once the main build folder is ready, we must prep the file and folder security permissions. Right-click on the folder and select "Properties". Now click the "Security" tab. Add/Create a user account called "Everyone." Now select that account and ensure that all the items in the bottom window are checked to "Allow". Good. Save, apply, and click on out.""

Note: Once again a lack of info, but you have the security tab only in XP Pro, and Vista. XP Home does not have the security tab but you can purchase some programs to fix it... I am running Windows Media Center Edition. While it is built on XP Pro according to my computers information, Windows MCE does not feature the security tab.
Taken from

http://grandstreamdr...-011-basic.html

Note: Later discovered aside from the 2 above items, it is also said via these very forums that in order to bypass the black screen and arrow issue, you need to NOT create the "project" folder on the desktop, as the desktop does not ensure the correct security permission. Instead download winbuilder and create a folder C:/Winbuilder then drop winbuilder into that, and run it. Apparently the c: main branch has the correct security permissions whereas the desktop does not.

As for the rest. The script not auto running which Arvy tried to help me with but didn't understand what I was trying to say because I actually had no idea what I was doing. Thanks again Arv for putting up with that.

I assumed you chose the packages you wanted to download, set the path for Vista DVD or WAIK, then just hit play...
I never saw it pop up a window like walkthroughs stated about formatting the drive.

This is simply because I overlooked the fact that once you download the scripts, the download TAB switches to the SCRIPTS TAB showing you the completed package of script choices.

I looked for the USBDevice script in the finalize folders and could find nothing with that title.
Turned out though under the second finalize folder it is "Copy to USB-Device".

Which of course may sound pretty dumb. However I was looking for the actual script title. Now if you can see this image, it should be easy to understand.

Thats about it, I may add more if I run into other issues.

Posted Image

PS: I wound up making the PE drive on my wife's computer as it is using Vista.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH ARVY & JAC for the help.

#27 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:48 AM

Well, we did try our best (not good enough obviously) to explain that what is selected for downloading isn't the same thing as what's (pre-)selected for inclusion in the project build process and to get you looking at your Scripts tab selections in detail.

It's clear, I think, that you checked all of the VistaPE script checkboxes on Winbuilder's [Downloads] tab ('Complete' level, but not 'Beta' level?) and thus got the full project script set downloaded. It's less clear what happened after you then switched back to WinBuilder's [Scripts] tab and the VistaPE project's [Path] and [Script] tabs.

Nevermind. All's well that ends well. Glad that you finally got it all worked out.
:thumbsup:

#28 Aitrus

Aitrus

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music, Writing, Reading, Computers, etc...
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:33 AM

Well, we did try our best (not good enough obviously) to explain that what is selected for downloading isn't the same thing as what's (pre-)selected for inclusion in the project build process and to get you looking at your Scripts tab selections in detail.

Nevermind. All's well that ends well. Glad that you finally got it all worked out.

Well like said lol it wasnt necessarily the way you guys explained, it was more so me just being a dumbazz in a couple of ways and kinda staying locked on the original walkthrough and not really looking at all available options.

I wouldn't have figured that out if not for really going back a few times and reading the feedback.

You guys explained it fine. I just needed my brain unlocked from that original walkthrough I had seen.

#29 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Well, happy everything went well. :thumbsup:

However you are perfectly right, seen from a new user perspective, Winbuilder (not only with the Vista PE project) seems an "user friendly" "don't worry just press the big button and'I'll do everything for you" type of application, but due to the complexity of things it does it needs some serious "contributions" by the user and there is a steep initial learning curve.

About this:

Well like said lol it wasnt necessarily the way you guys explained, it was more so me just being a dumbazz in a couple of ways and kinda staying locked on the original walkthrough and not really looking at all available options.

don't put you too down, what you describe is so common that it has also been "coded" in Amendment #1 to "common sense advice" (points #f.m and expecially f2. :D):
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

But I sincerely hope that, thanks also to feedback like yours, we can make this thingie evolve in a more friendly app.

:D

jaclaz

#30 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

I looked for the USBDevice script in the finalize folders and could find nothing with that title.
Turned out though under the second finalize folder it is "Copy to USB-Device".

. . .
2. copy the attached "Ufd-9-copy.script" in "Finalize" folder, select in related WB window your USB Flash Drive in "UFD Root Directory" and deselect "USBDevice.script" ("Copy to USB-Device") and also all "Virtual Test" if presents, then create your VistaPE
. . .

:D

#31 HBomb1974

HBomb1974
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

You will only see the USB drive if you boot into the WinPE system. DiskPart via Windows will not allow you to see the drive.

Create yourself a WinPE Boot CD using the help from the Windows AIK and then boot from this, type DISKPART and then LIST DISK and VOILA! :whistling:

Hope this helps

H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users