Writing Scripts for VistaPE and WinBuilder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Msenn_*

Guest_Msenn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

today I used WinBuilder for the first time.
I want to use VistaPE11 for our Unattended XP Installation.
So I want to change some scripts and add new scripts.
Is there a detailed information about writing scripts in the Internet?
The Wiki doesn't give me enough information.
Which tools do you use managing scripts?

Thanks

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

I think you may be able to find one or two 'code generators' available for creating simple scripts, but my own experience suggests that, if none of the ready-made scripts exactly suits your purpose, it's usually best to build your own based on some 'tried and true' example closest to your needs. WinBuilder's scripting syntax is fairly straightforward (link) although VistaPE's API does add a few 'extensions' of its own (link). And most folks here are ready and willing to lend a hand if you bump into any particular obstacles along the way.

The hardest part of the job is probably figuring out exactly what you want the script to do, especially things like CLSID registrations, etc. And, although most of the branching for options like "In RAM" is automated within the API, there are a few quirks that can sometimes get a bit tricky. At some points, you may even find yourself with no alternative to trial and error testing. I certainly have.

Once you have the functional framework worked out and firmly established, however, the script coding itself is relatively simple, even if tedious and repetitive at times. Your best friend is probably a good 'code friendly' text editior. I like IDM UltraEdit-32 myself, but there are plenty of other alternatives.

#3 Guest_Msenn_*

Guest_Msenn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi Arvy,

thanks for your statement ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users