23 replies to this topic

#1 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hello!

VistaPE is very very unstable, yes it's fact, explorer.exe crashing every second run, some programs crash every time (for example Sysinternals Procmon), yesterday i waste many time for trying fix in and nothing! I almost decide stop development and wait next Windows 7, i not have ideas how do it better and stable, NOTHING! ... and i almost go sleep with very bad thinks, but i recollect that i have Windows 2008 with kernel near Vista SP1 and try make VistaPE from it, JIC... when i fix all errors and boot iso to VirtualPC i was very surprised! Explorer working without any errors! I very endeavour crash it, but it's working! And Sysinternals Procmon working without any errors! Microsoft do very big job for improving Vista and now it's working really stable!

ps VistaPE v.12 will be available for closed testing at next week, public testing will be in 2-3 week, final version will be .... as soon as possible :thumbsup:

:D

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

Don't be discouraged. Microsoft may yet get "Longhorn" working more like a reliable operating system should. Their server releases are always more stable than their initial releases of "consumer" OSs. In fact, "hotfixes" released so far have now brought Vista to a resonably stable state. Unfortunately, however, it's not practically possible to build all those "hotfixes" into an on-disc source for VistaPE. That will have to wait for Vista SP1 integration.

In any case, I haven't seen any severe stability problems using VistaPE 11 on my platform, although I have had to rebuild the WIM a couple of times. As mentioned under its own topic, my registry entries review so far has not revealed any serious errors or omissions other than those I've already identified. Are you sure that you have no hardware errors that might contribute to your stability problem?

#3 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

Don't be discouraged. Microsoft may yet get "Longhorn" working more like a reliable operating system should. Their server releases are always more stable than their initial releases of "consumer" OSs. In fact, "hotfixes" released so far have now brought Vista to a resonably stable state. Unfortunately, however, it's not practically possible to build all those "hotfixes" into an on-disc source for VistaPE. That will have to wait for Vista SP1 integration.

In any case, I haven't seen any severe stability problems using VistaPE 11 on my platform, although I have had to rebuild the WIM a couple of times. As mentioned under its own topic, my registry entries review so far has not revealed any serious errors or omissions other than those I've already identified. Are you sure that you have no hardware errors that might contribute to your stability problem?

I have to say my experiences are similar, I'm actually quite happy with the functionality of the system so far. Most of the errormessages I've had were because lack of missing files or running out of cache space on virtual disk. I use VistaPE for system building and the most usual situation when unexplained errors occur is because of a malfunctioning memory chip. The whole operating system is run from memory so it serves as a good memory test itself to be able to run it without problems :thumbsup:

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Well, if that level of instability were prevalent as a common problem in VistaPE v.11, one would expect to see many more complaints about it here than I've seen. I think NightMan needs to tap his 'puter lightly with a sledgehammer. :thumbsup:

#5 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

I think NightMan needs to tap his 'puter lightly with a sledgehammer. :thumbsup:

I do not understand the problems with stability also. I do not have. My VistaPE runs stably. The Explorer does not crashed. I work with vmware.
I think also, the problem comes not from VistaPE.

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

I do not understand the problems with stability also. I do not have. My VistaPE runs stably. The Explorer does not crashed. I work with vmware.
I think also, the problem comes not from VistaPE.

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong ...

On my system, I nearly never have had success in building the PE before V12. V12 I did not try yet. (compare my post VistaPE for Dummies), using WAIK and VistaPE install CD.

I'm rather sure that here is a lack of the VistaPE project to recognize host problematic issues and correct them or give a hint to correct.
Discussing the issues in the forum with finding a solution (which is not implemented in the project itself and forgotten after some weeks), does not help permanently.

Peter

#7 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Straight some more occurs to me.

I think, am particularly important that boot.wim becomes not too large.
I had also problems with boot.wim > 400MB.
Now I run all Programs from CD even .net. I use standard-copy no full 'Common DLL' no 'Common Components' and my boot.wim is 276MB with IE7.
Needed files from Common DLL I have enable all others disabled.

With this boot.wim I have no problems.
Even my Norton Ghost 12 (big DotNet 2.0-Program) runs without problems.

One does not refer to the boot.wim size.
And the option 'Force place all Programs to Ram' is not good for the boot.wim size.

Perhaps this is the problem? :thumbsup:

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Perhaps this is the problem? :thumbsup:

Exactly what I meant in'VistaPE for Dummies'

Bringing a project to a successful boot by 'If this happens ... then you have to ...' is not good style inside a project.
A good project MUST run from download w/o user interaction (besides defining source path(s), of course).

Peter

@NightMan:
I do not want to attack you. This is really meant as 'high degree of bringing a suggestion to a recommondation' :D

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

I think, instead of a lot of pointers, Nightman would prefer some help!

I think he did an outstanding job, with VistaPE being mostly a one man show.

:thumbsup:

#10 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Good grief, psc, you've obviously been around here much longer than I have, but I honestly do NOT understand your 'high degree of bringing a suggestion to a recommondation' at all.

For me, with its initial 'recommended' set-up at least, VistaPE works just fine 'out of the box' and most queries I see posted here aren't related to core issues. Yes, the initial v.11 release needed a few "hotfixes" to deal with some minor oversights, but nothing serious and far fewer than Microsoft's "hotfixes" for Vista itself. Let's face it. We're all learning from experience as we go along, and it's totally unrealistic to expect perfect 'fit and polish' before the chassis is fully wrung out.

Perhaps your fundamental problem is actually with the Microsoft base for VistaPE rather than with the VistaPE project's development per se. As I've said before, anyone looking for a totally stripped down 'lean mean machine' certainly won't find it in Vista.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

..., VistaPE works just fine 'out of the box' and most queries I see posted here aren't related to core issues. ...

That is what I'm trying to explain since a while.

Other Projects like LiveXP, NativePE, nativeEx_barebone, WinRoot, ...
worked for me 'out of the box' , but VistaPE never did.
I never have had the success 'Download VistaPE, Define source, Build project, See your Vista in emulator'

Maybe there is something strange in my PC (I do not think so, because I have a standard IDE PC; my Vista source CD is a 'original' ...)
Maybe I'm too stupid to prepare my PC correctly for VistPE project.

But it should not be my job to google or ask here for solutions, the project should offer the solution according to my PC's environment (or should say 'Impossible with your environment').

... Out of the Box ...

@Medevil:
I always agree that NightMan did and does a great job.
But to try to help, I first need at least once my 'out of the box' success.

If in the future I can download a (VistaPE for Dummies) version which 'out of the box'
  • Creates a running ISO from my WAIK
  • Creates a running ISO from my Vista CD
I'm fully on board.

Peter

#12 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

But it should not be my job to google or ask here for solutions, ...

But you ARE asking for a solution, are you not? Or expecting the developer to provide one 'built in' as part of his project development process?

Maybe if you'd describe the symptoms that are peculiar to your VistaPE run a little more fully (or point to where you've already done so) someone could help to nail it down exactly. I can hardly believe that there's something about your situation that uniquely affects VistaPE and nothing else, but anything's possible I suppose. I take it that you're sure of full hardware compatiblity and can run one of Microsoft's standard Vista releases without a problem.

In any case, mere assumptions about problem origins, whether thought to be some core VistaPE issue or something in your specific set-up, sure won't do much to help. And how could any programmer be expected to anticipate and resolve it in advance when you yourself aren't prepared to google or ask specific questions about it?

I don't believe for one moment that you're stupid, but I sure do have great difficulty understanding your approach to problem solving.

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

But you ARE asking for a solution, are you not?

I'm currently complaining that there is not yet a solution.

Or expecting the developer to provide one 'built in' as part of his project development process?

If that means the 'One Click Run': YES

Maybe if you'd describe the symptoms that are peculiar to your VistaPE run a little more fully (or point to where you've already done so) someone could help to nail it down exactly.

I do not want to repeat every post about that, please search the forum!
But one example:
Several month ago I reported a problem, and booty#1 gave the fix.
With my last trial of V 11 final (!) I came into the same problem.
In my opinion the project should either
  • Give a detailled information about this issue, not in the forum, but in the script.project itself
  • Check for this situation and abort with an error message

I don't believe for one moment that you're stupid, but I sure do have great difficulty understanding your approach to problem solving.

Ask amalux, online and others about my approach to problem solving!
Or better: search the forum.

Peter

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

If in the future I can download a (VistaPE for Dummies) version which 'out of the box'

• Creates a running ISO from my WAIK
  • Creates a running ISO from my Vista CD
I'm fully on board.

Peter, if you havn't already done so, do the following for a WAIK only build.
- Get WB072a
- download VistaPE from server
- install WAIK
- set path for source - to WAIK
- set in Build\0-PreConfig the path to WAIK as well
- build
- run in VPC or VM with at least 500MB ram

If that doesn't work for you, post the log. There's something strange going on with your machine.

PS: Try having VistaPE as the only Project, just to make sure the Tools folder doesn't create havoc. :D

#15 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

@psc: I see. It's not your job for search for anything. Just other people's. Forget it. I'm no longer interested.

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

Peter, if you havn't already done so, do the following for a WAIK only build.
- Get WB072a
- download VistaPE from server
- install WAIK
- set path for source - to WAIK
- set in Build\0-PreConfig the path to WAIK as well
- build
- run in VPC or VM with at least 500MB ram

If that doesn't work for you, post the log. There's something strange going on with your machine.

PS: Try having VistaPE as the only Project, just to make sure the Tools folder doesn't create havoc. :D

Thanks, Medevil.
As you may already assume, I brought all of the last versions to run, but never 'One Click'. And that is the only aspect I complain, and I demand in 'VistaPE for dummies'

Peter :D

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, Medevil.
As you may already assume, I brought all of the last versions to run, but never 'One Click'. And that is the only aspect I complain, and I demand in 'VistaPE for dummies'

Peter :thumbsup:

I assumed as much, that's why i posted the 'manual'. That's what one click means in VistaPE. One has to set up two sources!
If following my posted routine, gives you a working VistaPE, you have no reason to complain.

:D

PS: Maybe the WAIK source could be automaticly detected. The uninstall string should tell, where it is installed to.
Maybe you are interested in including that into the script? :D

#18 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hi all!

My point of view is the following:

1. in my humble opinion NightMan [:D] in this thread is "half-jocking", or however not completely "serious"... I also think that maybe he from his child would want too... and he want it too soon, but every thing has its time... and he knows this too... :D

2. Windows Vista is a difficult OS, but greatly stable (I love its stability)... then VistaPE cannot be an "easy" environment...

3. In my experience VistaPE 011 is very stable: I almost always run it from UFD and totally from RAM (2GB on my host machine), ISO size almost 400MB... never stability issues... under VM I noticed no problems...

4. Starting with VistaPE from zero is not exactly a "OneClick" experience, but also Windows Vista is not...

5. Some applications do not love Windows Vista... and Windows Vista does not love some apps... for VistaPE is the same...

6. VistaPE is a PE environment: if we could do ALL with it... it would be Windows environment, not PE...

7. Registry (cleaning) issue under VistaPE is a relative issue (imo): under VistaPE there are not the entries numbers rather than in Windows Vista and at least of GREAT errors there is not relevant differences compared to registry "default" integrity (not cleaned)... also I think that under VistaPE not all registry cleaner applications could correctlly work (maybe regsitry path is calibrated on default path, I'm not sure)... and "user" default path (for example) in VistaPE seems just different compared to Windows Vista... and many "errors" are just this path related...

8. At this moment I'm posting under VistaPE: Firefox browser; Flash, Shockwave and Java plugins; VLC media player and QuickTime Player; my specific graphics card drivers installed... many other useful applications... and the experience is absolutely like under Windows Vista: a great goal, in my opinion... with all advantages of an environment that born for computer failure repair and that instead do much more... and always in volatile environment...

9. Probably graphics card issue is underestimated... I noticed that when I installed drivers for my video card (I will try to share that script...) VistaPE is still more stable and faster...

10. I do not point to an environment identical to Windows, Windows would be otherwise ... I do not point to a shell identical to Explorer, I just LiteStep ... and so on...

11. I like/love lightness and simplicity (no frills)... and I like/love VistaPE... :thumbsup:

#19 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

Great work, the commercial solution based on WinPE tends to have a small footprint Boot.wim image file, for example try to evaluate the @ctive boot disk 3.0 release, that boots very fast and also include some interesting penetcfg derivative, and opportunity to load specific drive once booted up.
The other focus is upon MUI, and the opportunity tho have real localized ver. For example I found some missing (*.it) folder instead of (*.EN) folder.
If anyone Has build a Ghost 12 plugin...please post the script here :-)

#20 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

Thanks to all for your answers and help, closed testing for VistaPE v.12 is started, public testing will be available in 2-3 week, when all will be finished, today i send some invitation to some peoples, if anyone have Windows 2008 or Windows Vista SP1 (integrated) and many time for testing, you are welcome (only 3-4 man)

#21 InfinityoO

InfinityoO

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

is this beta now.. if so where can i test it

#22 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

@NightMan: public testing will be available in 2-3 week

#23 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Pavel Azanov

I have big problem with free time, but i plan make public test version in 2-3 days :thumbsup:

#24 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

Beta version available for testing :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users