22 replies to this topic

#1 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hello ALL!

This topic for writing report about bugs (not solution) and new ideas for VistaPE

Right now we have two public version of VistaPE - 010 final and "stable" and 011 beta (i thing it's more stable that "stable" version :cheers:) and some time ago i start new version and plan make it more small and divide it to more components (now it take ~210Mb (uncompressed) with full hardware support, MMC, litestep and some other scripts) and i think we already have trouble with many versions, many users use 10 version, many 11, and i am not quite sure that version 11 is stable and ready to be released as "final", i need more tests from your and more reports about work and will be very good make final version at this year.

Known trouble (need testing) in 11 version:
1. not work with WAIK as source (fixed 24.12.2007)

And, also, i need help with WiFi, DirectX, Sound and if you need more functions in VistaPE write here about it :cheers:

ps if you write about bug, please first read others topic, then make screenshot, log and write full description about your system :cheers:

#2 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hello ALL!

This topic for writing report about bugs (not solution) and new ideas for VistaPE

Right now we have two public version of VistaPE - 010 final and "stable" and 011 beta (i thing it's more stable that "stable" version :cheers:) and some time ago i start new version and plan make it more small and divide it to more components (now it take ~210Mb (uncompressed) with full hardware support, MMC, litestep and some other scripts) and i think we already have trouble with many versions, many users use 10 version, many 11, and i am not quite sure that version 11 is stable and ready to be released as "final", i need more tests from your and more reports about work and will be very good make final version at this year.

And, also, i need help with WiFi, DirectX, Sound and if you need more functions in VistaPE write here about it :cheers:

ps if you write about bug, please first read others topic, then make screenshot, log and write full description about your system :cheers:

1. Notice that v11 actively checks for USB component but if none are installed then its pointless. Maybe have a count down so that if user has a USB device plugged in they can press a key and it will then do the USB scan.

2. Make more of the control panel options functional

3. Multiuser

4. When something is fixed post which script got updated so we can then download the updated script via WB.

As for Wifi I'll be more than willing to help out in anyway.

About all I can think of for now anyway.

Merry Christmas to all.

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

powaking post reminded me of one bug we have.
Usually the download center in WB detects automaticly, if a newer version of a script exists on the server.
It's not working with VistaPE. :cheers:

:cheers:

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

Nightman, your optimistic post about the fixed WAIK troubles made me burn the midnight oil and test it right away! :cheers:

First the good news. VistaPE v11 builds now beautifuly from WAIK and can even start! :cheers:
Now to the bad news. Sorry!
The new Opera 9.25 script has exactly the same bug/error the previous version had. :cheers:
Network does not work on v11 build with WAIK, v10 did work.

PS: Nightman, are you the only one working on the VistaPE project?

#5 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

1. Notice that v11 actively checks for USB component but if none are installed then its pointless. Maybe have a count down so that if user has a USB device plugged in they can press a key and it will then do the USB scan.

hm ... i have 2 think about it
1. make full interactive startup for vpeldr
2. detect full hardware with HwPnP

second will be soon, but first not very soon :cheers:

2. Make more of the control panel options functional

may be 2aCD can help....

3. Multiuser

no ideas right now :cheers:

4. When something is fixed post which script got updated so we can then download the updated script via WB.

ok :cheers:

Network does not work on v11 build with WAIK, v10 did work.

ok, will be tested :cheers:

The new Opera 9.25 script has exactly the same bug/error the previous version had.

Opera work fine only from writable media, enable "Run from RAM"

Nightman, are you the only one working on the VistaPE project?

substantially yes :cheers:

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Opera work fine only from writable media, enable "Run from RAM"

Yes i know that's because of the 'strange' path.
I'll try to fix this, as a little thank you, for fixing the WAIK problem for me. :cheers:

substantially yes :cheers:

Wow, quite an achivement! :cheers: :cheers:
Maybe some of the VistaPE users could adopt one or two of the app scripts and maintain them, so you can have more time to work on the core.?

Any volunteers?

PS: If VistaPE works something like XPPE, then a multiuser system is only possible, if PE is able to start without SystemSetupInProgress set to 1.
I also fear, security would have to be fully working for this.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:20 PM

Upon further testing the network in v11.
Ping google.com works flawless.
Firefox even says: tranfering, but nothing happens. Already tried a different FF script same result. :cheers:
The only error messages (21) come from the file sharing script, which can't copy any of the files from %InstallSRC% to %TagetDir% ()
Unfortunately i can't see from where the files originally should be coming.

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:17 AM

Fixed the opera.script, now for some reason the network works too? :cheers: :cheers:
Don't expect anything like CD-Opera, i really just fixed a bug that prevented proper working, if Opera is not run from a writable medium. Even mail works.

A few VistaPE annoyances i noticed are:
- without starting the taskmanager one can't see when wpinit is finished
- VistaPE reacts extremely slow imo, not really sure if this can be fixed
- HwPnP takes ages while only network and USB-Sticks work in VistaPE, as far as i know
- BS-Explorer displays the same default icon for all programs (ExeName has to be entered as IconName as well)
- BS-Explorer - some programs can't be started from Desktop shortcut (remove all quotes ("") around paths)

Attached File  opera.rar   6.24MB   391 downloads

#9 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

VistaPE v11 update 27.12.2007
1. updated opera script
2. BS-Explorer tested and (i think) working good
3. now you can skip hardware detection during boot

(updated Standard-3-Config.script and opera.script)

without starting the taskmanager one can't see when wpinit is finished

yes, maybe anyone can make wrapper?

The only error messages (21) come from the file sharing script, which can't copy any of the files from %InstallSRC% to %TagetDir% ()
Unfortunately i can't see from where the files originally should be coming.

it's working only with Vista as source ....

#10 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

VistaPE v.11 from WAIK + network

vistape_v11_waik_network.JPG

#11 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

I think that none of the scripts that come with VistaPE should create a desktop shortcut automatically. They should have a checkbox to create a desktop shortcut or not.

IMHO.

#12 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

JonF
you are right, i rewrite scripts when will be have more time...

#13 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

JonF
you are right, i rewrite scripts when will be have more time...

Here is a start ... the scripts that came with VistaPE 11 final and also put an icon on the desktop. All with an "Add icon to the desktop" checkbox added (default is "no" except for A43) and some with WinBuilder icons added.

Attached File  Scripts.7z   3.49MB   433 downloads

#14 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

JonF
Thanks!

#15 Scuzzy

Scuzzy
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Estonia

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hello guys, this is my first post on this board, and i want to say that Vistape is awesome boot software and will have long future. My Idea is that, it would be cool then vistape boots, menu pop-up saying "Would you like to add drivers ?" and then we could add drivers from cd's. That is all, keep the good job and happy new year. respect

#16 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

"Would you like to add drivers ?" and then we could add drivers from cd's.

Hello Scuzzy! If you add your drivers to "\Drivers" folder, VistaPE can automaticaly find and install it (now tested only with LAN and SATA drivers) :cheers:

#17 DanPye

DanPye

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Hello ALL!

Right now we have two public version of VistaPE - 010 final and "stable" and 011 beta (i thing it's more stable that "stable" version :D) and some time ago i start new version and plan make it more small and divide it to more components (now it take ~210Mb (uncompressed) with full hardware support, MMC, litestep and some other scripts) and i think we already have trouble with many versions, many users use 10 version, many 11, and i am not quite sure that version 11 is stable and ready to be released as "final", i need more tests from your and more reports about work and will be very good make final version at this year.

And, also, i need help with WiFi, DirectX, Sound and if you need more functions in VistaPE write here about it :thumbsup:

ps if you write about bug, please first read others topic, then make screenshot, log and write full description about your system :D

Great job Nightman..

Hey, how about adding Smart Card services?

#18 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

Great job Nightman..

Thanks!

Hey, how about adding Smart Card services?

for what? :thumbsup:

#19 DanPye

DanPye

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks!

for what? :thumbsup:

Well, more and more companies are starting to use smart card authentication for internal stuff... I made an attempt to add them back myself... but still not working right..

Another idea, how about event viewer so you can view a system log of a non-bootable vista machine? last that I saw (and havent done a whole lot of work on it lately due to other demands on my time) the event viewer wasnt working under vistape..

hmmm.. might be a good idea to come up with a form with checkboxes for services that are not strictly needed .. let you select what 'optional' services that you want to add back..

just a thought.

#20 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Well, more and more companies are starting to use smart card authentication for internal stuff... I made an attempt to add them back myself... but still not working right..

WInPE have only one user account (SYSTEM) and not have AD support, and WnPE not designed as replacement for regular Windows...

Another idea, how about event viewer so you can view a system log of a non-bootable vista machine? last that I saw (and havent done a whole lot of work on it lately due to other demands on my time) the event viewer wasnt working under vistape..

yes, it's very god idea, but some files for event viewer in MMC request .NET, it's not very good idea ... maybe i'm wrong...

hmmm.. might be a good idea to come up with a form with checkboxes for services that are not strictly needed .. let you select what 'optional' services that you want to add back..

hm... all default services is present and working, additional request for additional scripts...

just a thought.

:thumbsup:

#21 DanPye

DanPye

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

WInPE have only one user account (SYSTEM) and not have AD support, and WnPE not designed as replacement for regular Windows...

---> Not asking it to, but Smart Card services are also used for internal web based authentication. For example, I am working on developing a customer service tool out of VistaPE (already have WinPE 2005 ver working somewhat)... this will be a bootable cd that has several AV, Spyware and recovery tools. We have an internal web based call tracking system that can be accessed from anywhere on our internal network as long as you provide smart card credentials .. this would be ideal for allowing the techs to check their new calls while working on an end user's machine.. which is why I was trying to get it working.. there are other uses... (and you did ask for idead *chuckle*)

yes, it's very god idea, but some files for event viewer in MMC request .NET, it's not very good idea ... maybe i'm wrong...
---> There are already some .Net scripts out for VistaPE.. just have to add the right files and reg keys to allow for event viewer to work.

hm... all default services is present and working, additional request for additional scripts...

--> Was just thinking of for future development. We can try to get the more useful services working.. I know there there are a couple that come with Vista that are not in VistaPe that probably can be added back.. will have to llook at a Vista machine and see what I can find.

:thumbsup:

#22 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Not asking it to, but Smart Card services are also used for internal web based authentication. For example, I am working on developing a customer service tool out of VistaPE (already have WinPE 2005 ver working somewhat)... this will be a bootable cd that has several AV, Spyware and recovery tools. We have an internal web based call tracking system that can be accessed from anywhere on our internal network as long as you provide smart card credentials .. this would be ideal for allowing the techs to check their new calls while working on an end user's machine.. which is why I was trying to get it working.. there are other uses... (and you did ask for idead *chuckle*)

hm... if you making commercial tools you must have permission from MS and can ask MS about it... and not very good idea use VistaPE as commercial project and your project not must have name of my project... VistaPE is free project for free people, all other have different conditions, VistaPE is my hobby, but sometimes i want eat and not very like when my work used in commercial activity without my permission...

There are already some .Net scripts out for VistaPE.. just have to add the right files and reg keys to allow for event viewer to work.

yes, but SIZE! ... no, it's not really god idea right now... maybe 2aCD can help to you :thumbsup:

will have to llook at a Vista machine and see what I can find.

VistaPE is not regular Windows and never will be, but i will be very glad if you can help add more functions to it, tanks :D

#23 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

SUGGESTION:
To make VistePE (using Grub4Dos or other *nix boot loaders) more friendly to other WinBuilder projects here, add the following two lines somewhere near the top of the [Process] section of both the Standard-7-iso.script and the USBDevice.script files:
If,ExistFile,"%targetdir%\i386\setupldr.bin",FileRename,"%targetdir%\i386\setupldr.bin","%targetdir%\i386\SETUPLDR.BIN"

If,ExistFile,"%targetdir%\i386\s_setupldr.bin",FileRename,"%targetdir%\i386\s_setupldr.bin","%targetdir%\i386\S_SETUPLDR.BIN"

EXPLANATION:
This would ensure that Grub4Dos and other case sensitive boot loaders used by VistaPE will be able to find those files named in uppercase as they expect. This is not really a VistaPE issue per se, but the output of some other WinBuilder projects names those files in lowercase causing problems with their possible inclusion in any multiboot set-up that might be created using VistaPE's "Other OS" capabilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users