ClipOS a secure OS by the French Gov.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

ClipOS released, a secure operating system prepared for deployment on EU-based governments: https://clip-os.org/en/ 

Major changes: admins are unable to see/access user data. Doesn't look bad, I really enjoy that specific feature.

Will be trying it out a bit later and post screenshots.

:cheers:

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

Today I am in grumpy mode  :angry7:  , but I read the the whole stuff as:

1) the old version has not (anymore) any meaningful use for us, the new version is alpha and you can have both as we are really really good guys (in source code only as we cannot bother to even produce a demo/VM build)

2) since it took us 10 years to get at this point, if you can help ...

https://www.ssi.gouv...erating-system/

HOW TO USE CLIP OS

While there is currently no “ready to use” version of CLIP OS for end-users, ANSSI offers the opportunity to contribute collectively to the development of the operating system designed by the agency, to better respond to the specific uses and needs of users.

DEVELOP CLIP OS

For this purpose, ANSSI provides the new version of CLIP OS in Open Source including ::
– For collaborative development – The source code and documentation (in English) of the latest version of CLIP OS.
– For archive and reference – The source code and documentation (in French) of the previous version of CLIP OS to initiate and facilitate future developments.
Still in the “Alpha” version stage, CLIP OS will be improved over time, thanks to the developments carried out by the ANSSI teams, as well as the contributions of all the actors who will wish to get involved in the project

:duff:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#3 dencorso

dencorso

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 142 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:32 AM

Well, if they get a lot of interest at least from EU citizens, they might perhaps achive 10% of the speed of development ReactOS has nowadays, after all those years... hum... yeah... promising indeed... :dubbio:

• Brito likes this

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

I guess that what ticked me was the:

ANSSI offers the opportunity to contribute collectively to the development of the operating system designed by the agency

it's them making people a big favour by allowing everyone to work on the (crappy) OS they designed (which seemingly is not much more than a Gentoo Linux with a few tweaks).

The good ReactOS guys didn't design anything, but they rebuilt from scratch (alas only partially) a whole OS, these ANSSI people seemingly took some ten years to make a specialized distro in alpha stage.

:duff:

Wonko

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

Well, if they get a lot of interest at least from EU citizens, they might perhaps achive 10% of the speed of development ReactOS has nowadays, after all those years... hum... yeah... promising indeed... :dubbio:

They're using Linux underneath, so the wheel isn't being reinvented and that means continuous updates. Not too bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users