guimenez

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

following some tutorials, i can make my pendrive to boot to WinPE with CSM or UEFI.

That's amazing because i can install all Windows version with the same pendrive.

The main problem, it's that I need to have some utilities that are in iso and i need to boot them too.

With bootmgr i can boot iso and img but only in CSM mode, but i need to boot them too in UEFI mode.

So i was thinking if is it possible to have grub2 to make my menus and boot UEFI or CSM and both menus having some iso or ima boot images.

Is it possible?

Thank you

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

How can you boot .iso's (and .img's) "with BOOTMGR" would be an interesting question :dubbio:.

The answer with GRUB2 is (as always it is with .iso's), "it depends", I don't think that GRUB2 can be used "alone" (no matter if CSM or UEFI) for anything but Linux based .iso's (making use of the internal loopback device).

In BIOS (or CSM) grub4dos or memdisk can be used, but not on UEFI, they both need BIOS services AFAIK.

:duff:

Wonko

• guimenez likes this

#3 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Some multiboot examples using grub2 can be found here

http://reboot.pro/to...ve/#entry168079

• guimenez likes this

#4 guimenez

guimenez

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

How can you boot .iso's (and .img's) "with BOOTMGR" would be an interesting question :dubbio:.

The answer with GRUB2 is (as always it is with .iso's), "it depends", I don't think that GRUB2 can be used "alone" (no matter if CSM or UEFI) for anything but Linux based .iso's (making use of the internal loopback device).

In BIOS (or CSM) grub4dos or memdisk can be used, but not on UEFI, they both need BIOS services AFAIK.

Wonko

I can boot iso and img with easybcd but only in CSM. I think in UEFI is impossible to boot any isos :(

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

I can boot iso and img with easybcd but only in CSM. I think in UEFI is impossible to boot any isos :(

Well, as expected, you are then not using BOOTMGR, you are using instead EasyBCD :w00t: :ph34r: which makes use (let's say without making this particularly evident to the casual onlooker :whistling: though some relevant info is given in the LICENSE file) of grub4dos (and PLoP and possibly of a few more freeware and Open Source software, besides a few non-redistributable MS executables :frusty:) JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/to...cation-via-bcd/

and grub4dos is BIOS only.

A number of .iso's (as said AFAIK only Linux based) can be nonetheless booted through GRUB2 on UEFI, as in the example Wimb provided.

Wonko

• guimenez likes this

#6 Areeb

Areeb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

Refind Boot Manager has the ability to boot HDD/USB using CSM, even if the system boots up in UEFI Mode.

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

Refind Boot Manager has the ability to boot HDD/USB using CSM, even if the system boots up in UEFI Mode.

Could you explain this more please?

It is not listed as a feature on the page link given.

#8 memoarfaa

memoarfaa

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Could you explain this more please?

It is not listed as a feature on the page link given.

see here 

http://www.rodsbooks...d/features.html

• Launch legacy (BIOS) boot loaders on Macs. (rEFInd also supports legacy boots on some UEFI PCs; see below.)
  • Support for launching legacy BIOS boot loaders on UEFI PCs with suitable CSM support (as of version 0.4.6, with significant improvements in version 0.8.0). Note that some UEFI PCs, such as those with Gigabyte's Hybrid EFI, lack a usable CSM.

Edited by memoarfaa, 10 November 2016 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users