wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Is it possible to have a fully functional 'XP_SP3.vhdx' file in a USB-HDD drive so that I can just copy whole 'XP_SP3.vhdx' file into a target system and add a boot entry of 'XP_SP3.vhdx' within \boot\bcd of system ?

It is VHD and not .vhdx

I can use XP_SP3.vhd on any BIOS-MBR system and it is booting from Grub4dos Menu.

Grub4dos can be added to Boot Manager menu by using UEFI_MULTI.exe (entry is added to \boot\bcd of system)

ISO is not available for redistribution, but can be made simply according to description.

http://reboot.pro/to...hd/#entry172481

#102 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

You mean your method does not support Dynamically Expanding VHDX ? 

Does your method work only for Static VHD ?

Regards....

#103 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

Does your method work only for Static VHD ?

Yes

#104 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

But why ?

AFAIK, Win 7 - Win8.1U1 support Native booting within from Dynamically Expanding VHDX, then why not XP_SP3 ?

I think you should also provide a option in UEFI_MULTI.exe in order to native booting of  XP_SP3.vhdx on any BIOS-MBR system through Boot Manager Menu ......I think then It (XP_SP3) will provide native booting of Dynamically Expanding VHDX .

Am I wrong ?

Regards....

#105 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

AFAIK, Win 7 - Win8.1U1 support Native booting within from Dynamically Expanding VHDX, then why not XP_SP3 ?

XP does not have or support the Microsoft VHD driver.

For XP we use WinVBlock as FILEDISK driver and in that case a RAW HDD Image file is supported,

as being made by VHD_XP_Create.exe

• Games Goblin likes this

#106 virgus

virgus

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hello Wimb,

thanks again for your comment.

I didn't have the time yet to do further tests but I've two questions for you:

1.For drivers backups/restores I'm using this software; do you have other suggestions

for better software so that it will be easy to inject drivers into setup iso files?

I've used IntegrateDrv as you suggested for Wait4UFD driver and it would be easy to do the same with

all my backed up drivers...

2.I just found the existence of Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded 2009 POSReady

which seem great. Did you try them in VHDs? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of a customized

version of XP SP3 vs a WES installation (considering also WES is supported up to 2019...)?

I'm trying to get a better/up to date picture of what to do...

Have a nice week end!

Virgus

Edited by virgus, 13 September 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#107 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

2.I just found the existence of Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded 2009 POSReady

which seem great. Did you try them in VHDs? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of a customized

version of XP SP3 vs a WES installation (considering also WES is supported up to 2019...)?

JFYI:

http://www.msfn.org/...-8#entry1080982

Posready is (almost) EXACTLY a "normal" Windows XP and is not WES (though you can with WES make a build that is exactly 100% like PosReady or 99.99% similar to "normal" XP) and you can have the same support that Posready 2009 will have through a Registry addition on your "normal" XP:

http://www.msfn.org/...ows-xp-sp3-enu/

In a nutshell, Windows Embedded Standard (and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 as well) is a "building environment", while POSready is a prebuilt release, as said very, very similar to a "normal" XP (the activation is different and a few very minor things are different, but nothing worth of notice).

Just compare the two available download pages:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=14947

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=11196

to see the difference at a glance (just the size is enough).

:duff:

Wonko

#108 Games Goblin

Games Goblin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi, I am trying to use this guide to create a new Windows xp vhd from scratch. But whatever I do, I can't get past the "Continue GUI-mode XP Setup". It gets past the text based setup just fine, and when I re-boot and select "Continue GUI-mode XP Setup", it shows the windows logo for a bit, and then it goes to a black screen and just sits there.

Any ideas to solve it?

I have prepared a windows xp iso from a MSDN image of XP SP3 - inegrated updatepack with RyanVM Integrator and used DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks -- as described in this tutorial.

#109 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi, I am trying to use this guide to create a new Windows xp vhd from scratch. But whatever I do, I can't get past the "Continue GUI-mode XP Setup". It gets past the text based setup just fine, and when I re-boot and select "Continue GUI-mode XP Setup", it shows the windows logo for a bit, and then it goes to a black screen and just sits there.

Any ideas to solve it?

I have prepared a windows xp iso from a MSDN image of XP SP3 - inegrated updatepack with RyanVM Integrator and used DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks -- as described in this tutorial.

presetup.cmd in folder I386 will start decompression of DriverPacks located in OEM folder 
at the beginning of GUI-mode of XP Setup, which does NOT take to much time for the 5 DriverPacks

This process seems to fail. Check if I386\presetup.cmd and folder OEM are visible in the mounted ISO (use ImDisk).

Select Checkbox - Load XP Setup ISO in RAM might help to solve this issue.

Does this help ?

Is everything according to this description ?

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe 
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the 
XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.
Use DPsBase.exe to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks
which will then be located in OEM Folder in your XPSOURCE folder.
(settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select)

Always first use RyanVM Integrator and then use DPsBase to Improve your XP-Source
DPsBase makes presetup.cmd in folder I386 and changes the I386\winnt.sif file for use of DriverPacks

presetup.cmd in folder I386 will start decompression of DriverPacks located in OEM folder 
at the beginning of GUI-mode of XP Setup, which does NOT take to much time for the 5 DriverPacks

You should select to Keep The Drivers for Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN
Then WINDOWS\DriverPacks is about 135 MB which is acceptable and provides a lot of extra driver support 
which is useful to make XP Universal and adapt easily to very different hardware.
In that case the DevicePath is set accordingly in key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion 
so that XP can automatically make use of these drivers for adjusting to New Hardware

Where are the VHD and the ISO located ? - I mean on internal or on external USB-drive.

Is there sufficient space on that drive and are the VHD and ISO unfragmented (use WinContig to check) ?

#110 Games Goblin

Games Goblin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

Hello

Thanks for your quick reply!

This process seems to fail. Check if I386\presetup.cmd and folder OEM are visible in the mounted ISO (use ImDisk).

Yes, the presetup.cmd and folder OEM are visible on the ISO. I have used this ISO to install Windows XP onto the hard-drive of the laptop (Thinkpad T410i), and it extracted the drivers correctly when entering the GUI install step.

I also tried using the unmodified XPSP3 iso, and it too runs into the same problem.

Select Checkbox - Load XP Setup ISO in RAM might help to solve this issue.
Does this help ?

When trying this method, I get this error after selecting the Disk to installing windows on, during the TXT based setup phase:

xVzilN0.jpg

Is everything according to this description ?

Yes, on a MSDN XP SP3 iso, first I integrate "Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack FINAL" with RyanVM integrate, then with DPSbase - Chipset + CPU + LAN + Mass storage + WLAN - (settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select)

Where are the VHD and the ISO located ? - I mean on internal or on external USB-drive.
Is there sufficient space on that drive and are the VHD and ISO unfragmented (use WinContig to check) ?

VHD and ISO file are located on the hard-drive (on the second partition) - this partition has 100GB free space. For boot drive, I am using a USB removable drive. The VHD and ISO file I checked with WinContig, it reports that they are not fragmented.

Best Regards

#111 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:50 AM

Apparently the CD ISO file is not found after Reboot for GUI mode of XP Setup.

VHD and ISO file are located on the hard-drive (on the second partition) - this partition has 100GB free space. For boot drive, I am using a USB removable drive. 

Is that a primary partition (as required) or a logical drive ? Check with Disk Management.

Are the filenames of VHD and ISO according to dos 8.3 format and no longer,  and do they have no spaces ?

Did you try the Modified procedure as described in post #2 ?

First WinNTSetup3 is used with XP Setup ISO file to prepare XP Setup folders in VHD mounted in ImDisk virtual drive.

#112 Games Goblin

Games Goblin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Apparently the CD ISO file is not found after Reboot for GUI mode of XP Setup.

Is that a primary partition (as required) or a logical drive ? Check with Disk Management.
Are the filenames of VHD and ISO according to dos 8.3 format and no longer,  and do they have no spaces ?

Yes, I have checked with disk management and it is a primary partition.

The file names,

.vhd file - XPSRC1.vhd
.iso file - winxp.iso

Did you try the Modified procedure as described in post #2 ?

Yes, I tried this method today, and ran into the following error when selecting the 'start TXT mode setup' in GRUB:

P35O353.jpg

#113 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

I am sorry, but I don't see yet a solution for the problems .....

:cheers:

#114 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

I am sorry, but I don't see yet a solution for the problems .....

If you want XP in a VHD then there is another solution, which is a two step process:

1. Fresh install x86 XP on primary partition of internal harddisk by using WinNTSetup3 and XP Setup ISO file

1. Install WinVBlock driver in XP by using WinVBlock_Install.cmd - See WinVBlock_Install.txt

1. Reboot and  check in Device Manager if WinVBlock has been installed properly

2. Reboot with other OS or with Win8.1SE PE and then use VHD_XP_Compact.exe to make VHD containing XP

There is a Full Copy Version possible, which for Uncompressed NTFS setting requires something like 3 GB VHD Size

http://reboot.pro/to...t-make-mini-xp/

http://reboot.pro/to...boot-usb-drive/

BTW What is the size of your winxp.iso ?

#115 Games Goblin

Games Goblin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

If you want XP in a VHD then there is another solution, which is a two step process:

Hello

Thank you for taking time to help me.

I managed to make the guide work on another laptop of mine (Dell E4300). I used the same ISO file and the same method mentioned in the guide and I was successful in the first try. (I did get an error during setup asking for a file, but I found it appears on 'B' drive):

xdSnG6U.jpg

BoQvdp5.jpg

So, it's not a problem of the ISO or the methods, it has to be a problem on the other laptop (the Thinkpad T410i), I just cannot fathom what it might be.

I will try your suggested method on the thinkpad.

BTW What is the size of your winxp.iso ?

887 MB

#116 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

The issues seems to be *somehow* connected to the second floppy device.

Two things to try :unsure::
1) remove the mapping to (fd1):

title Start - TXT-mode XP Setup on XPSRC1.vhd - XP3_1307.iso - Size 626 MB
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XP3_1307.iso
map /XP3_1307.iso (0xff)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --e820cycles=0
map --hook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00/XP3_1307.iso\x00\xff\x00
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XPSRC1.vhd
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map /XPSRC1.vhd (hd0)
map --e820cycles=0
map --rehook
chainloader (0xff)

2) try creating a second floppy image of the 1.2 Mb type (i.e. a 5.25" floppy image instead of a 1.44 Mb or 3.5" floppy image) for the winvblock and map that one to the second floppy device in grub4dos.

Wonko

• wimb likes this

#117 reboot.pro-er

reboot.pro-er
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Botswana

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

hi, i had winxp installed on usb-hdd. then i wanted to move it into vhd. i instaled vblock and copied files inside vhd files, then turn strings in menulist as

title winxp.vhd
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/winxp.vhd
map /boot/winxp.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

its ok, windows loading, but cant open desktop cause going unlimited logon/logout the user. in window of loading windows i see that it starts from disk E, so i assume that vhd mounted as E. how to fix it?plz will glad to any ideas

#118 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

cant open desktop cause going unlimited logon/logout the user. in window of loading windows i see that it starts from disk E

Yes, renamed %SystemDrive%. Did windows boot from C: previously?

Boot another windows, mount the VHD.
Run regedit, import <VHD>\%SystemRoot%\system32\config\system to HKLM\vhd
Delete HKLM\vhd\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:.
And rename HKLM\vhd\MountedDevices\DosDevices\E: to HKLM\vhd\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:
http://diddy.boot-la...nteddevices.htm
  • reboot.pro-er likes this

#119 reboot.pro-er

reboot.pro-er
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Botswana

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

thx man, u are the best :good: it fixed

#120 baselsayeh

baselsayeh
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hello @wimb,
i've tried to install xp in vhd in my laptop (GPT - AHCI)
i've tried the second procedure with my achi drivers integrated into xp cd
1-
I'm getting 0x0000007b after gui setup (i'm sure that my mb achi driver works fine on xp)
2-
I've noticed that in "TXT-mode XP Setup on XPSRC1.vhd" grub4dos entry is messing root (hd0,0)

title Start -  TXT-mode XP Setup on XPSRC1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 10000 MB
map /XPSRC1.vhd (hd0)
map --e820cycles=0
map --hook
chainloader /ntldr

title Boot  Windows XP from Image - XPSRC1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 10000 MB
map /XPSRC1.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

Edited by baselsayeh, 12 July 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#121 rockola

rockola
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hello @wimb,
i've tried to install xp in vhd in my laptop (GPT - AHCI)
i've tried the second procedure with my achi drivers integrated into xp cd
1-
I'm getting 0x0000007b after gui setup (i'm sure that my mb achi driver works fine on xp)
2-
I've noticed that in "TXT-mode XP Setup on XPSRC1.vhd" grub4dos entry is messing root (hd0,0)

title Start -  TXT-mode XP Setup on XPSRC1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 10000 MB
map /XPSRC1.vhd (hd0)
map --e820cycles=0
map --hook
chainloader /ntldr

title Boot  Windows XP from Image - XPSRC1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 10000 MB
map /XPSRC1.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

As long as I understand, you cannot use GPT in x86 XP, you should use MBR type of partition.

Correct me if im wrong @Wonko the Sane ;).

#122 baselsayeh

baselsayeh
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

As long as I understand, you cannot use GPT in x86 XP, you should use MBR type of partition.

I mean the xp disk image is in gpt partition and this shouldn't be a problem to the new grub4dos versions

#123 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

Consider it done ;).

It greatly depends on what the situation is, it is actually possible to use a GPT disk on a BIOS (please read as XP 32 bit or viceversa) machine, using a few tricks but of course not *everything* is possible as a number of limitations apply.

In theory a driver like Winvblock should be able to isolate the actual OS in the .vhd from the underlying disk "style", but it has to be seen how exactly it has to be configured, and most probably *something else* might be needed.

Whether some of these limitations (and WHICH ones) have been removed by "the new grub4dos versions" (whatever that means) is to be seen.
Since several versions of both 0.4.5c and 0.4.6a grub4dos can access GPT partitions, but from that to actually boot an XP on a vhd on such a disk.

My guess would be that *something like* this:
http://reboot.pro/fi...ort-for-xp-x86/
would be needed anyway (or a Hybrid MBR, etc.).

So I wouldn't consider this "impossible" at all. :unsure:

If your note is along the lines of "is it smart"? Then you are perfectly correct, it isn't.
Personally, but of course it depends on the zillion other OS that will be running on that machine, I would use a MBR style disk, however.

Having a number of limitations for no actual advantage seems to me rather pointless, but that's just me.

Would you bet that baselsayeh's laptop hard disk is not larger than 2.2 Gb (the only actual possible reason to *need* a GPT disk)?
But maybe he has some queer *needs* like booting a Windows 8/8.1/10 with SecureBoot (or *whatever*).

On the first post of this thread under "problem there is still written point #3:

Problems you may have
1. - ...
2. - ...
3. VHD and XP Setup ISO file cannot be located on GPT partition - UEFI computers must be in BIOS compatible mode to enable booting with Grub4dos Menu.
Use MBR partition of HDD or USB as location for VHD and XP Setup ISO file.

however, so I don't think that specifically the method/tools in this thread are suitable alone (or Wimb should revise first post :whistling:).

Wonko

#124 baselsayeh

baselsayeh
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

Consider it done ;). It greatly depends on what the situation is, it is actually possible to use a GPT disk on a BIOS (please read as XP 32 bit or viceversa) machine, using a few tricks but of course not *everything* is possible as a number of limitations apply. In theory a driver like Winvblock should be able to isolate the actual OS in the .vhd from the underlying disk "style", but it has to be seen how exactly it has to be configured, and most probably *something else* might be needed. Whether some of these limitations (and WHICH ones) have been removed by "the new grub4dos versions" (whatever that means) is to be seen.Since several versions of both 0.4.5c and 0.4.6a grub4dos can access GPT partitions, but from that to actually boot an XP on a vhd on such a disk.My guess would be that *something like* this:http://reboot.pro/fi...ort-for-xp-x86/would be needed anyway (or a Hybrid MBR, etc.).So I wouldn't consider this "impossible" at all. :unsure: If your note is along the lines of "is it smart"? Then you are perfectly correct, it isn't.Personally, but of course it depends on the zillion other OS that will be running on that machine, I would use a MBR style disk, however. Having a number of limitations for no actual advantage seems to me rather pointless, but that's just me. Would you bet that baselsayeh's laptop hard disk is not larger than 2.2 Gb (the only actual possible reason to *need* a GPT disk)?But maybe he has some queer *needs* like booting a Windows 8/8.1/10 with SecureBoot (or *whatever*). On the first post of this thread under "problem there is still written point #3: however, so I don't think that specifically the method/tools in this thread are suitable alone (or Wimb should revise first post :whistling:). :duff:Wonko

My laptop came with win8.1 and uefi(with secureboot)
I'll try the gpt driver but im sure that it isn't a grub4dos problem (either winvblock doesn't support direct maping from gpt or some driver that I need to inyegrete with the winxp source)

#125 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

My laptop came with win8.1 and uefi(with secureboot)
I'll try the gpt driver but im sure that it isn't a grub4dos problem (either winvblock doesn't support direct maping from gpt or some driver that I need to inyegrete with the winxp source)

Sure :), the issue should be simply that Winvblock needs to find a partition/volume (where the .vhd resides) and to do so it leverages on standard XP mechanisms (which cannot see a GPT partition, unless a Hybrid MBR is used, which may be not compatible with other OS expactations):

https://git.ipxe.org...778dc66afd219d3

IF Winvblock (or another suitable driver) could map the actual physical extents of the partition, *like* - as an example only - IMDISK can do:
http://reboot.pro/to...ge/#entry192170

very likely the issue could be solved.

I don't think that Winvblock (or Firadisk) has this feature yet, or if - say - Olof's Arsenal Image mounter can *somehow* be made to "hook" a grub4dos mapping, it is one of the many - I believe - unexplored territories.

As a side note and JFYI:
http://reboot.pro/to...gpt-partition/ 

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, xp

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users