Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

Hi
I got hold of a copy of beta 3 W2K8 32-bit to test - same result - asked for a driver!!!
I tried copying the install.wim to the \sources folder and it still could not find it.

However, I then used the Win7 boot.wim and renamed it boot6.wim and then ran modbootwim.cmd on it. It now boots and after the language menu it presents me with an OS menu !! :mellow:

I don't know if it will actually install W2K8 properly from here as I don't have a system I can trash - maybe you would like to try???

If R2 works, I suggest you use the boot.wim from that for W2K8 as it would be the closest.

I guess Vista/W2K8 did not support the USB feature that W7/SVR2K8R2 does...

#77 tefole

tefole

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

btw; i really really read all usual suspects (forums) for solutions, to install several install.wims from one parition.
finally i related method@steve on msfn, i install whichever install.wim from every directory of flashdisk w.o. problems.
please consider this postings as positive feedback :mellow:

#78 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

Hi
I got hold of a copy of beta 3 W2K8 32-bit to test - same result - asked for a driver!!!
I tried copying the install.wim to the \sources folder and it still could not find it.

However, I then used the Win7 boot.wim and renamed it boot6.wim and then ran modbootwim.cmd on it. It now boots and after the language menu it presents me with an OS menu !! :mellow:

I don't know if it will actually install W2K8 properly from here as I don't have a system I can trash - maybe you would like to try???

If R2 works, I suggest you use the boot.wim from that for W2K8 as it would be the closest.

I guess Vista/W2K8 did not support the USB feature that W7/SVR2K8R2 does...

Thanks steve,I will try that out and report back as soon as possible,.. ;)

@tefole

are u sure, that u'r editing/injecting the/into the correct image of boot.wim?
usually, there are two images inside. and usually the 2nd image is the one with boot flag..

Yes i am editing the 2nd image in the boot.wim,and i think everything is just right as far as the process is concerned

#79 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

btw; i really really read all usual suspects (forums) for solutions, to install several install.wims from one parition.
finally i related method@steve on msfn, i install whichever install.wim from every directory of flashdisk w.o. problems.
please consider this postings as positive feedback :mellow:

P.S Are you using a IDE cd-dvd drive,i mean i may be facing this problem as i have a sata CD-DVD drive

#80 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Ok..i tried using the boot.wim of windows 7 32 bit with windows vista 32 install after modifying it with modbootwim.cmd...it does get pass the language option screen but just after selecting an option to install a version of vista it shows the following error and the setup just stops there.. :)

Posted Image

#81 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

OK - I think I have found a way to do it :) . I have modified the instructions on my website.

If you have already tried it and failed to get server 2008 32-bit working then you need to do two things:

1. Download the new MultiWinv4.zip and run modbootwim.cmd again for the appropriate image. The mysetup.cmd file has been changed so now it runs Setup.exe from G:\SVR2K832\setup.exe (the setup.exe code must get the path for the install.wim from the 'AppPath' :) - in this case G: (assuming G: is the USB drive letter))
2. Copy ALL :mellow: the files from the DVD \Sources folder to the \SVR2K832 folder (as we need setup.exe and probably a bunch of other files too) - you may also wish to delete the \SVR2K832\ei.cfg file if one exists to give you more OS SKU choice.

Let me know if this works for you - or not!
S

#82 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:00 AM

OK - I think I have found a way to do it :) . I have modified the instructions on my website.

If you have already tried it and failed to get server 2008 32-bit working then you need to do two things:

1. Download the new MultiWinv4.zip and run modbootwim.cmd again for the appropriate image. The mysetup.cmd file has been changed so now it runs Setup.exe from G:\SVR2K832\setup.exe (the setup.exe code must get the path for the install.wim from the 'AppPath' :mellow: - in this case G: (assuming G: is the USB drive letter))
2. Copy ALL :) the files from the DVD \Sources folder to the \SVR2K832 folder (as we need setup.exe and probably a bunch of other files too) - you may also wish to delete the \SVR2K832\ei.cfg file if one exists to give you more OS SKU choice.

Let me know if this works for you - or not!
S

:mellow: ..Great..this time i was able to install vista 32 with the above method..And thank you so much for all your guidance..But i noticed two extra folders at the root of the system drive i.e, C:.."$WINDOWS.~BT" and "$WINDOWS.~LS" and also "bootsect.bak"...Well as far as i can think this is because the setup is run twice,first from the boot.wim and the second time when we execute it via "mysetup.cmd"....I also noticed that setup hangs if we don't disconnect the USB HDD when the setup is executing the "completing setup" stage...This is for both Windows 7 installs as well as Windows Vista intall...SO just after the setup starts and and starts installing the Windows installs we have to disconnect the USB drive...

I also came across a nice switch for setup.exe which would be helpful if someone wants to use $OEM$ directory in such installs...

setup.exe /m:C:\additional_files

Where C:\additional_files is your customized $OEM$ directory.

So by modifying your latest code like this,i can also use the $OEM$ directory now where "OEM" is my $OEM$ directory...

@echo off

SET DD=V32

for %%I in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%I:\%DD%\install.wim set DVDdrive=%%I:

If NOT "%DVDDrive%"=="" echo Found Install.wim at %DVDdrive%\%DD%\install.wim

IF "%DVDdrive%"=="" (

echo ERROR - COULD NOT FIND INSTALL.WIM in %DD% folder!

pause

pause

goto :EOF

)

REM look for whole sources folder copied over

If exist %DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe  (

%DVDdrive%

REM setup will use its path to find the install.wim

%DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe /m:%DVDdrive%\OEM\

)

if not exist X:\Setup.exe goto :BAD

REM if not then just call setup in root of boot.wim

X:\setup.exe /installfrom:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\install.wim /m:%DVDdrive%\OEM\

:BAD

dir X:\ /b

echo Cannot find X:\Setup.exe !

@echo Press a key to reboot now...

pause

wpeutil reboot

pause

#83 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

If setup is being run twice - is it being run before mysetup.cmd or after?
One way to fix it would be to delete setup.exe from the bootx.wim file (for Vista/W2K8 installs) - you will need to delete it from the root and from \sources inside the wim file.
Maybe setup is being run after mysetup.cmd? To prove this, add the line wpeutil reboot before both goto :EOF lines so that it never exits from mysetup.cmd and never runs setup.exe after it runs it from inside mysetup.cmd?

Also better to place OEM files in separate folders (e.g. \SVR2K832\OEM ) ?? But I am not quite sure if /m does what you think. It seems to imply that it holds replacement files not additional files. http://technet.micro...446(WS.10).aspx

If exist %DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe  (

%DVDdrive%

%DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe /m:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\OEM

wpeutil reboot

pause

)

X:\setup.exe /installfrom:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\install.wim /m:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\OEM

wpeutil reboot

pause

Setup.exe /? shown below

Posted Image

#84 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

If setup is being run twice - is it being run before mysetup.cmd or after?
One way to fix it would be to delete setup.exe from the bootx.wim file (for Vista/W2K8 installs) - you will need to delete it from the root and from \sources inside the wim file.
Maybe setup is being run after mysetup.cmd? To prove this, add the line wpeutil reboot before both goto :EOF lines so that it never exits from mysetup.cmd and never runs setup.exe after it runs it from inside mysetup.cmd?

Also better to place OEM files in separate folders (e.g. \SVR2K832\OEM ) ?? But I am not quite sure if /m does what you think. It seems to imply that it holds replacement files not additional files. http://technet.micro...446(WS.10).aspx

[/code]

If exist %DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe (
%DVDdrive%
%DVDdrive%\%DD%\setup.exe /m:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\OEM
wpeutil reboot
pause
)

X:\setup.exe /installfrom:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\install.wim /m:%DVDdrive%\%DD%\OEM
wpeutil reboot
pause

[/code]

Setup.exe /? shown below

Posted Image

OK..i will try out your suggestion and report back,but the "/m:" switch does work and i have tested it by placing "OEM" folder in the root of the USB drive...and it works just like an "$OEM$" folder at the root of a CD-DVD drive...

#85 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

I have updated the MultiWin.zip file now with your new enhancement! Many thanks.

Could you say at what point (what message on screen?) should the user remove the USB drive, so I can add more precise instructions? As I am not at work, I don't have a system to try an install on at the moment. :(

#86 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

I have updated the MultiWin.zip file now with your new enhancement! Many thanks.

Could you say at what point (what message on screen?) should the user remove the USB drive, so I can add more precise instructions? As I am not at work, I don't have a system to try an install on at the moment. :(

We should remove the USB drive when the setup starts the "completing installations" stage and if you also want to use the "$OEM$" option then we should put the usb drive back when the system restarts for final time after "completing installation" stage finishes...

#87 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

"wpeutil reboot" command did the trick and those two folders are not there anymore...but "bootsect.bak" is still there...but thats OK,we have come a long way from where we have started...It is now pretty close to a perfect install.. :(

#88 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thats great news! :(

If we specify the /m: option and we do not connect the USB drive back again after a reset - what happens - does it error out? i.e. by adding in the /m: option, does the user have to always re-connect the USB drive or only if they want the OEM contents copied over?

#89 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thats great news! :(

If we specify the /m: option and we do not connect the USB drive back again after a reset - what happens - does it error out? i.e. by adding in the /m: option, does the user have to always re-connect the USB drive or only if they want the OEM contents copied over?

The /m: option only ask the setup.exe to look for an alternate location for $OEM$ directory,and just as $OEM$ directory is optional and is not necessary for completion of install,so is this option!!!....In short,if the user wants to use OEM option then he can reconnect the drive when the setup restarts the windows for the final time..and if he does not want to use it then the setup will finish the install without any errors...

NOTE: I am using the OEM directory at the root of the usb drive,and it is common for all the installs...so,it automatically inserts all the required licences and other stuff automatically..

#90 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Just curious but - presumably after reboot, setup looks for G:\OEM folder - but what happens if the drive letter changes?

e.g.
Boot to WinPE and run DISKPART and CLEAN HDD.
Reboot to USb stick and run setup install and create folder (USB stick will be C: and /m: will be C:\OEM)
Now after next reboot, HDD will be C: and USB will be D: - so will it find C:\OEM folder ???

Note: You probably know, but you can use SHIFT+F10 to get a console window while Setup is running...

#91 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

Just curious but - presumably after reboot, setup looks for G:\OEM folder - but what happens if the drive letter changes?

e.g.
Reboot to USb stick and run setup install and create folder (USB stick will be C: and /m: will be C:\OEM)
Now after next reboot, HDD will be C: and USB will be D: - so will it find C:\OEM folder ???

Note: You probably know, but you can use SHIFT+F10 to get a console window while Setup is running...

Well,i have not tested what you are saying as i always partition my drives before installing any operating system,so by the time setup starts the drive letters are already defined ,..anyways i will try your suggestion and see what happens later... :(

#92 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

If you just want to apply an image, then it is a lot easier to use ImageX - see https://sites.google...-ufd-and-imagex

You can boot to WinPE and then run a Diskpart script to partition the HDD and then use ImageX to copy over your OS. Job done! You just need to make you master image first (with any apps, etc. all added on administrator account - press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 when you get to the Welcome screen) and then when happy, cleanup disk and run sysprep.exe and choose OOBE + generalize.

Or is there some reason you wanted to use Setup.exe ???

#93 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

e.g.

As you suggested i started install on a "CLEAN" hard disk,and the install does complete flawlessly in both these circumstances..:
* The user uses "drive options" and format the drive and then continues the setup
* The user just select the unallocated drive and continues the setup..

NOTE: We must unplug the USB drive only after the first reboot when the "completing installations" stage starts...Otherwise the setup.exe runs again for the second time and we will get those folders back at the system drive..Well,i have used the "OEM" folder at the root of the USB drive in all the above tests and not inside the subfolders..so i am not sure what will happen if you use it inside the sub-folders..

EDIT: The installs also works fine if the "OEM" folder is in a sub-folder on the USB drive

If you just want to apply an image, then it is a lot easier to use ImageX - see https://sites.google...-ufd-and-imagex

You can boot to WinPE and then run a Diskpart script to partition the HDD and then use ImageX to copy over your OS. Job done! You just need to make you master image first (with any apps, etc. all added on administrator account - press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 when you get to the Welcome screen) and then when happy, cleanup disk and run sysprep.exe and choose OOBE + generalize.

Or is there some reason you wanted to use Setup.exe ???

Yes ,I know there are many other alternatives to this method to install windows from usb...Some of them are:

*Use imagex.exe or its GUI "Gimagex" to install a sysprepped image as you suggested..
*Use Nt6.xx fast installer,and it is really very good and fast,after booting from a WinPE or LiveXP and then executing it from there..
*Boot into a PE3 or 7PE and Mount the windows iso on a virtual drive and then run the setup from that drive..

But you know, i like to experiment a lot and i am always willing to learn new ways to do things.. :(

#94 ksanderash

ksanderash

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:electronics, PCs, cinema, reading books, psychology, philosophy
  •  
    Moldova

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

steve
Tested your method too. It's working! :( But, instead of Vista, x64, etc, I binded two slim-downed Windows 7 setups. Both works, finding their install wims correctly.

A bit brain-boiling algorithm, but once done you can repeat it again much quicker.

#95 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

EDIT: The installs also works fine if the "OEM" folder is in a sub-folder on the USB drive

That's a great way to end a weekend! Thanks for all your help, together with others from Boot-Land. Now if only we could crack the need to remove the USB drive... :(

#96 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Now if only we could crack the need to remove the USB drive... :)

What do you mean "remove the USB drive"?

Can you expand on this?

WHEN exactly it is needed the removal? :(

:D
Wonko

#97 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

I do wish these newbies would learn to read previous posts! :(

http://www.boot-land...?...st&p=106915

#98 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

Now if only we could crack the need to remove the USB drive... :smiling9:

Yes, that would be just great and it will really help in achieving a fully unattended install with this method.

#99 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi

Just tried this using a USB HDD and Server 2008 32-bit. I set the boot order to HDD first and USB HDD 2nd. Then used F10 to select USB HDD from the boot menu to start it all off. I also had an OEM folder set up on the USB drive folder structure.

It all worked perfectly! I left the USB HDD connected the whole time - no lockups, just went ahead on reboot and booted from HDD into server 2K8. OEM folder worked too!

#100 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

I do wish these newbies would learn to read previous posts! :)

http://www.boot-land...?...st&p=106915

I'd wish that people making wishes (and asking for a solution to their problems) would simply explain things, as asked.....:(

The HD booting order problem has been solved n months ago exchanging the drives in grub4dos, in the good ol' USB_MultiBoot.cmd:
http://www.msfn.org/...ndows-from-usb/

Since not all (please read as relatively few) motherboards do have an option to manually change the HDD booting order on-the-fly, your current solution will apply only to those. (BTW, if you have to press F10, it is attended anyway)

:(
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users