16 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Where to begin. I had high hopes for this after watching this demo video of the isostick:

http://youtu.be/xs_vYfX3j-c

This little device doesn't do any of that. I've had it less than 12 hours and it simply won't work, even after the following.

The isostick doesn't show up as a CDROM in any bios boot menu, only "ELEGANT ISOSTICK FLASH 1.30" appears.

I have tried all of the available firmwares listed in the "isostick updater" in both read-only and read-write mode by using the switch on the side.

I have tried "Load ISO" from the ISO Manager r39 under Windows, which mounts an iso on the virtual cd rom drive in windows, but that optical drive won't appear in a boot menu at any bios boot option menu.

Speaking of windows I've tried this under Win 7 and Win 8 on three dells, two HPs, and an IBM in a christmas tree.

I have formatted using the HP usb format utility, rufus, fat32format and it's brother guiformat, gparted under linux and format F: /fs:fat32 /q /x under the windows command line. Followed other forum posts about unplugging optical drives under Dell and HP, moving the USB booting up to the top of the boot order list...

I've tried a 64GB, 16GB, and 4GB MicroSD cards on verified booting debian linux netinst ISOs.

Nothing works, and I've exhausted about 3 hours of my evening hoping there was some obscure setting/utility/post that was missed which would solve my problem.

Is there a beta firmware somewhere to download and try out? Are there any other options?

Edited by Sidewinder, 15 June 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Does it show up as a CD/DVD in Windows Explorer?

#3 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

DVD Drive

#4 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Sorry to hear your isostick is not showing up in the boot menu.

It sounds like you have done everything correctly. It may be worth noting that in some BIOSes, moving USB or Optical / CDROM to the top of the boot order still does not cause isostick's cdrom to show in the boot device list. However, in such cases the BIOS usually boots to isostick's cdrom if the boot list is not used.

A beta firmware will be released this week having several new features. Among them is optical-only mode, which should help in case your BIOSes do not play well with devices presenting 2 drives.

If possible, could you please list the models of the computers you tried on, as well as their BIOS versions?

Also, if you have a real USB CDROM to test, could you please try that? If a USB CDROM does not work, it is unlikely isostick will work, and it must be a problem with the BIOS. If a USB CDROM does work, then it is a problem in the isostick firmware and I will work with you to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

#5 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Booting from a USB Optical drive does work.

I hope the new update solves the issues.

#6 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Is there any ETA on this beta firmware?

And will it be available from within the isostick updater itself or will I have to download it manually first?

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hm, I have been waiting to get the software updates out so setting up the new firmware with all of its new options would be a point-and-click affair. If that takes too long to wrap up, I will go ahead and release the new firmware with documentation. (Of course, there will be documentation for using it without the software anyway, but I am hoping to finish the software first).

To clarify, the new firmware reads an INI-style config file, but it will default to the same behavior as revision 1677 if no config file is present. Likewise, an option will fall back to default if the choice given is invalid or unsupported for the firmware you have installed.

I am just working on extending the ISO Manager with the ability to control all these options from the GUI in a consistent and simple manner.

Either way, it will show up in the isostick updater as usual, and all of this can be done with or without the ISO Manager software.

:cheers:

#8 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

If the firmware is ready, I hope the updater gets updated soon.

Been sitting on this thing for a week and hope it's usable for its intended purpose.

#9 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

Link to the update?

#10 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Bueller... Bueller... anyone home?

#11 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sorry for the delay, it is taking a while to wrap up the software for various reasons.

Since that is not ready yet and I have not had time to properly document the new options, I have sent you the latest testing firmware in a private message.

#12 4U2NV2

4U2NV2
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

anyway to get in on this testing also?

#13 rnavarro

rnavarro
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Can I get a copy of the beta firmware for testing as well?

#14 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Unfortunately a major bug was discovered, so the testing will remain closed as it is not likely to work on many systems. It will be public once the bug is fixed, however. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#15 4U2NV2

4U2NV2
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Any update on this issue? I've looked over the trello page but don't see any activity since June 29th. Just looking for a status update.

#16 assarbad

assarbad

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think what ElegantInventions could do is to open up the "internal beta" to people with JTAG probes, assuming that they have been able to establish a connection to the stick and will be able to de-brick it themselves.

#17 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Any update on this issue? I've looked over the trello page but don't see any activity since June 29th. Just looking for a status update.

Sorry about that, I've just posted an update in the comments here: https://trello.com/c...level-usb-stack

I think what ElegantInventions could do is to open up the "internal beta" to people with JTAG probes, assuming that they have been able to establish a connection to the stick and will be able to de-brick it themselves.

This could indeed be helpful, but as it stands the isostick sets the Security bit in the AVR32, meaning JTAG is disabled except for the Chip Erase command. This is to prevent tampering and protect the firmware from cloning until it is open-sourced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users