Photo
- - - - -

Creating Linux boot CD and executing win32 executable, Possible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pushkar26

pushkar26
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

Hi,

I am upto this task and would like to know how to achieve this, it is possible with WinPE or BartPE, but to do it with linux without getting into any licensing hassles is still a mystery.

Acronis does this, but how not clear to me.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion.

Best Regards

Pushkar

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

pushkar26

I guess I'll need to give you my "standard" reply #32 :1st::

Dear member, though I am willling to help, and since you failed to provide any detail on your current setup, I'll have to guess.
Unfortunately my crystal ball is out in the shop for maintenance and tuning, so I can only use my tarots and i-ching.

Both tarots and i-ching are notoriously less accurate than crystal balls, however:

Result from tarots:

Your program will run under Linux, but there are a few obstacles to this, I can see a feminine figure between you and success, it may be a wrong .dll or a missing one. Also there is a male, authoritative figure working against your success, possibly a Registry entry or an .inf file.

Result from i-ching:

THE JUDGEMENT OF KING WEN:

22. BEAUTY AND ADORNMENT
Beauty And Gracefulness Provide Order And Pleasant Diversity, Which Quiets The Spirit And Fills The Heart With Assessment. Beauty Creates Light, Which Can Illuminate Many Small Questions, But It Becomes With Deep, Controversial Ones Do Not Help.

THE COMMENTARY OF THE DUKE OF CHOU:
Line 2: Is Not Diverted By A Beautiful Exterior. Pay Attention To The Contents.
Line 4: You/They May Miss The Comforts, But You Will Find Much More Meaning And Peace.

Now, if you would care to read the Rules, and the "common sense advice" in them:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

You will please post some details of WHICH app you want to run, whether it is a GUI or command line one, and more important WHAT is the result you wish to reach, WHAT you already tried to do, describe your experience with Acronis, etc.

In other words, give the more details you can, otherwise there is no way anyone could be able to help you.

jaclaz

#3 pushkar26

pushkar26
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:09 AM

ok, thanks for sounding so good and poetic

WHICH app you want to run?
I have designed a tool which basically repairs Active Directory Database.

Now this tool is win32 executable from MFC project

WHAT you already tried to do?

I have tried Bart-PE, but it seems there are lots of licensing hassles if i want to distribute this software commercially.

What i think might work would be to burn Linux Live CD with bare minimum X-Windows and providing basic GUI interface and with the help of WINE I launch my executable( I still need to figure out, how to do this?).

WinPE again seems to be far away, however i would interested in it's licensing policy, how much it would cost for commercial usage is still unknown to me?

About Acronis, they create one hidden .bin file which basically is a disk image of FAT16 partition and it seems the executbale inside is win16 DOS based executable, mouse.com confirms this. Which doesn't solve my purpose, as i have win32 executable and not time to convert it to MFC console project.

Thanks

Pushkar

pushkar26

I guess I'll need to give you my "standard" reply #32 :yahoo::
Both tarots and i-ching are notoriously less accurate than crystal balls, however:

Result from tarots:
Result from i-ching:
Now, if you would care to read the Rules, and the "common sense advice" in them:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

You will please post some details of WHICH app you want to run, whether it is a GUI or command line one, and more important WHAT is the result you wish to reach, WHAT you already tried to do, describe your experience with Acronis, etc.

In other words, give the more details you can, otherwise there is no way anyone could be able to help you.

jaclaz

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

Do you already have a *nix based Live CD supporting active directory? :)

First step should be ensuring you have a solid image - I work on a local network with >6000 client machines connected during daytime where samba is not an option for everyday use, it just gets stuck every time trying to view the machines found on the LAN.

WinPE 2.0 is a completely free download from Microsoft and at least you'd get an extra in compatibilty if you want to handle active directory databases - or the easier route - code your app again for linux.. :)

People would need to install WAIK on their computers and you'd be able to use wb along with VistaPE to build the boot disk - no commercial restrictions this way.. :)

Executing a Win32 exe is not very dificult, but when it comes to windows networking.. :yahoo:

#5 pushkar26

pushkar26
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

No I do not have any UNIX based Live CD, yes your are correct when it comes to networking I would face lots of issues.

However WAIK is such a big component asking users to download this would not be that effective, do you have any idea what do they charge if i go straight?

Thanks Once Again

Pushkar

Do you already have a *nix based Live CD supporting active directory? :)

First step should be ensuring you have a solid image - I work on a local network with >6000 client machines connected during daytime where samba is not an option for everyday use, it just gets stuck every time trying to view the machines found on the LAN.

WinPE 2.0 is a completely free download from Microsoft and at least you'd get an extra in compatibilty if you want to handle active directory databases - or the easier route - code your app again for linux.. :)

People would need to install WAIK on their computers and you'd be able to use wb along with VistaPE to build the boot disk - no commercial restrictions this way.. :)

Executing a Win32 exe is not very dificult, but when it comes to windows networking.. :yahoo:

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

However WAIK is such a big component asking users to download this would not be that effective, do you have any idea what do they charge if i go straight?

Well there are two different things..

You mean distributing the waik yourself or a modified windows PE 2.0 image?

There are many solutions that would be effective, but very few would be either easy or legal to distribute.

You should contact the MS support to know if they are available for authorizing OEM versions of Windows PE 2.0 - I would also be interested to know how much they would charge even thought I still think it would just be simpler to download the WAIK from the MS site and install it - it's a simple and straightforward process that everyone should be able to acomplish quite easily.

:yahoo:

#7 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

I made a Puppy Linux Live CD with WINE. WINE is a compatibility package that lets you run Windows programs in Linux. Puppy Linux uses .PUP packages to add extras such as WINE to your Live CD. WINE is not perfect so you will have to see what applications work and what doesn't.

Link to Puppy linux:
http://www.puppylinu...e.php?page_id=1

Possible Link to WINE .PUP Package:
http://www.murga-lin...opic.php?t=9536

Please note these pitfalls:
NTFS support is still spotty - even with NTFS-3g
Remastering your Puppy Linux LiveCD can be confusing at first.
Finding and installing .PUP packages can be confusing as well

Good luck!

#8 clarodina

clarodina

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Does wine works with virtual pc?

#9 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

it should, but as with the earliest post here - WHAT is the problem you are trying to solve - not HOW would you solve it...If the real problem is running WINE on top of Linux, and you need to test it on a virtual PC - great...If not, open a NEW thread and ask the real question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users