#1 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

Greetings folks.

Long post so feel free to skip the intro if you don't have much time to read.

## intro ##

Let me make a small introduction on why/what I am posting here.

My boss just bought me a new laptop that comes with Windows 8.1. It's an Asus X552 which means that unfortunately it's not a business laptop as it was supposed to be. Blame the damned crisis...

Problem is, most of the software that I will be running on it still doesn't run on Windows 8.1 which means that I need to reinstall windows 7 64bits on it.

Since the hdd has little space for my needs, the laptop doesn't come with a dvd reader. Instead it comes with another hdd with a dvd-to-hdd adapter.

This means I need to reinstall using windows 7 USB boot disk because I'm not very familiar with PXE ;).

## end of intro ##

Problem is, this is my first time with UEFI. I was able to create a windows 7 boot disk using Rufus but then, when Windows is supposed to start copying files to disk, it seems it doesn't recognize my hdd. I know that this may sound a bit vague. If you need the specific error message let me know and I'll try to reinstall and grab a screenshot with a camera.

BTW, since it was making some strange/funny noise, I have removed the hdd and the dvd-to-hdd adapter and I returned it as a DoA.

Someone told me that I could turn the system into a non-UEFI+MBR but I would rather do it properly using UEFI+GPT.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

It is not clear to me : do you want to reinstall windows from a usb device (hdd or key) or do you want to re install windows 7 on a usb boot device?

Regards,

Erwan

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

Someone told me that I could turn the system into a non-UEFI+MBR but I would rather do it properly using UEFI+GPT.

You cannot use "properly" in a same sentence with UEFI+GPT. :w00t: :ph34r:

However:

http://www.eightforu...te-windows.html

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

What is the issue?

And yes, of course we need the exact specific error message, though even without it, what it is likely is that your Windows Install for some reasons misses the (Sata) driver for the internal disk, like:

http://laptopdrivers...-windows-7.html

:duff:

Wonko

#4 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

It is not clear to me : do you want to reinstall windows from a usb device (hdd or key) or do you want to re install windows 7 on a usb boot device?

Regards,

Erwan

Sorry, I guess I should have made that clearer. My goal is to reinstall windows 7 from a usb hdd/key onto my laptop's internal hdd.

what it is likely is that your Windows Install for some reasons misses the (Sata) driver for the internal disk, like:

http://laptopdrivers...-windows-7.html

Well, I guess you're right but if I change to a BIOS+MBR install using that same USB install disk that I made with Rufus, the install procedure works ok. So I am clueless.

I will try to document my steps with UEFI+GPT as well as I can and I will post here.

Thanks

#5 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:08 AM

Sorry, I guess I should have made that clearer. My goal is to reinstall windows 7 from a usb hdd/key onto my laptop's internal hdd.

Well, I guess you're right but if I change to a BIOS+MBR install using that same USB install disk that I made with Rufus, the install procedure works ok. So I am clueless.

I will try to document my steps with UEFI+GPT as well as I can and I will post here.

Thanks

Once you are at the windows install screen, go to command prompt (shift+f10) and use diskpart to check your disk (list disk).

If you dont see it, then you are sure that this is indeed a driver issue (but I dont believe so since you see it in mbr mode).

/Erwan

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Maybe it helps to know, how I solved a similar situation with my Lenovo, delivered with Win8.1, booting with UEFI.

It also has no DVD reader.

• Using Parted Magic, I made the win8 partition smaller and created an additional new one for Win7 x64.
  • I extracted the Win7 CD onto an USB stick (not necessary to have it bootable, no RUFUS etc.).
  • Added a folder "Lenovo" to the stick and copied Lenovo drivers into it. That were proprietary drivers not contained in the Win7 setup. Which are needed, could be found only by try and error:
    • Realtek LAN driver from Lenovo
    • Intel Wireless from Lenovo
  • Depending on your Hardware you need other/additional drivers, maybe a SATA driver, as Wonko said.
  • Booted from 8.1 and ran setup on the stick, choosing to install into the new partition. When setup needs some drivers I pointed to the prepared folder drivers.
  • In the running win7 I downloaded, installed / ran:

Good luck!

Peter :cheers:

#7 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

@erwan.I

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try that.

@pscEx

Unfortunately, that's a bit too late for me.

I no longer have Windows 8.1 installed. During one of my trials I formated the hdd...

I have been using the laptop but running a Lubuntu LiveCD from a usb pendisk. But this setup doesn't allow me to actually work.

To me this sounds awful when I say it but I actually need Windows or else I can't work. :(

Though when I get home at the end of the day I can enjoy (Arch) Linux :)

#8 J@9

J@9
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

Is your USB Stick formated as FAT32? (It has to be, or else it won't work).

And how does Windows recognise it? (Fixed or Removable?)

I think it has to be a removable drive to be able to install windows from it.

Last time, I used Rufus.

Settings you need to have is:

GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer

FAT32 (Default)

Clustersize (select the default one)

Then select your ISO file and format the drive.

This worked fine on my HP ProBook 6460B, when I installed Windows 8.1, and the same on my Server, when I installed Windows 2012R2 on it :)

Think it will be the same with Windows 7.

Edited by J@9, 18 January 2015 - 06:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gpt, uefi, install, windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users