[project] uxp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#51 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hmm..

What it the command that you're using? Can you post it here?

----

Also another detail:

Try adding quotes to add support for spaces in the path names.

Under the script this would be something like

"PROGRAM FILES\TRUEIMAGE\COMMON FILES\CDRECORD\" --> #$qPROGRAM FILES\TRUEIMAGE\COMMON FILES\CDRECORD\#$q

Hope this can help! :lol:

#52 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

Hmm..

What it the command that you're using? Can you post it here?

----

Also another detail:

Try adding quotes to add support for spaces in the path names.

Under the script this would be something like

"PROGRAM FILES\TRUEIMAGE\COMMON FILES\CDRECORD\" --> #$qPROGRAM FILES\TRUEIMAGE\COMMON FILES\CDRECORD\#$q

Hope this can help! :lol:

hi nuno;

so good to hear from you. im not using any command. ti9.script is part of livexp. when the programs folder is made in the target folder for uxp those sub folders and files arent copied from the livexp build. they are in the livexp project target folder and if i run livexp from its multiboot\livexp location the program works. it stops working in uxp because the sub folders and files are missing. if i manually copy them over to the uxp target and then rebuild the iso. it works :thumbup:

-c

#53 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

How strange! :lol:

In that case can you post the source code used on TI9 to check if something is due to the coding? :thumbup:

--------------------------------

One other thing, reading the liveXP multiboot script inside uxp there is:

FileCopy,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\LiveXP\Target\LiveXP\*.*","%targetdir%\","Show"

And this should be enough to copy everything but why wouldn't it copy is leaving me puzzled.

So would please try:
FileCopy,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\LiveXP\Target\LiveXP\*.*","%targetdir%\"

Inside the uxp\MultiBoot\xp-liveCD.script?

The difference is that it will use the Win32 operation to copy files rather than using the internal winbuilder function and this might point if it is a bug inside wb or give some clues if it is something else.

:thumbup:

#54 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

How strange! :lol:

In that case can you post the source code used on TI9 to check if something is due to the coding? :thumbup:

One other thing, reading the liveXP multiboot script inside uxp there is:

FileCopy,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\LiveXP\Target\LiveXP\*.*","%targetdir%\","Show"

And this should be enough to copy everything but why wouldn't it copy is leaving me puzzled.

So would please try:
FileCopy,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\LiveXP\Target\LiveXP\*.*","%targetdir%\"

Inside the uxp\MultiBoot\xp-liveCD.script?

The difference is that it will use the Win32 operation to copy files rather than using the internal winbuilder function and this might point if it is a bug inside wb or give some clues if it is something else.

:thumbup:

actually, i think that did it. reran build and subfolders and files were copied ok. i use this this modified script so that i can choose the livecd project for the build. check it out and thanks for your help.

-c

Attached Files

#55 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

OK Carfan let me tell you this project is not dead , but Nuno cannot continue to work on this project anymore so we will have to team up and keep this project on it's legs :lol:
So you are going to add the possibility to add more OSes ? that would be great :thumbup:
I will just post a fixed version of the script you posted that had a typo .
Benxhi

Going to start off in a new adventure. I am going to see if I can further modify bcdw script to included more boot options including ima, iso, and img images. Does any one know the size limit if any for the finished dvd? Also, an annoying quirk of this project is to halt the build process if there is any errors during the LiveXP build. Since some errors are minor is there any way to turn this feature off?

-c

#56 vivek

vivek
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hi Nuno,

Thank you for doing this project and making it public.

I have just downloaded your file and on extracting it my Avira Antivir found a trojan in it, wget.exe. C:\uxp\Projects\MultiBoot\LiveXP\Projects\Tools\wget.exe .

I then did an analysis on it at the site virustotal where 13 antivirus programs identified it as a virus. You can see the results here: http://www.virustota...9f3a6df92155ccf

Could you please comment on this?

Thank You
Vivek.

#57 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

You can report the false-positive to your antivirus provider. wget is not a virus, and it is included in most WB projects.

Regards,
Galapo.

#58 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

Just a false-positive :) i just scanned it with nod and there are no threats.

/benxhi

#59 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Just a false-positive :) i just scanned it with nod and there are no threats.

/benxhi

@benxhi

If you take some time to actually read what vivek posted:
http://www.virustota...9f3a6df92155ccf

You will see that nod ALREADY did not detect anything in WGet.exe.

Other AV's did.

The ONLY ones worth some merit is the report by Antivir and Avast, all the others that did find something are IMHO little more than a joke, with the exception of TrendMicro, which has however a known "tendence" to classify anything that can hypothetically access the web as malware; as well Sophos is notorious for detecting more than average false positives:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

jaclaz

#60 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

Jaclaz thanks for your response , i saw the scan reports i just wanted to confirm that data.

/benxhi.

#61 BlackTulipGirl

BlackTulipGirl
  • Lady
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:21 AM

Hi, total newb here but need help... I borrowed my friends laptop to run uxp and make the disc because I thought she had a dvd writer... but when I put a blank DVD-R in it won't write to it, so either it is mislabeled (it says RW for DVD-R on the laptop, but maybe its not?) or there is something wrong with the entire spool of DVD-R's I bought.

Anyhow, so now I can't make this- right? I wanted to clean my pc and reinstall XP but how can I without being able to make a DVD? Can I use this project on CD's or a USB? and what size stick?

Hope these aren't too dumb of questions....

Thanks

Emms :whistling:

#62 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi BlackTulipGirl, welcome to boot land.

You can indeed use a CD instead but since these have a smaller capacity you should disable most of the addons to save enough space.

Wouldn't recommend a USB drive since this project is not prepared for installing XP from USB and it would require you some extra work.

--

A typical CD holds 700Mb worth of data and the UXP project when fully built with use around 1300Mb which usually fit nicely inside a DVD that come around with 4000Mb.

Look on this picture:
Posted Image

You will need to disable all scripts that are inside these folders:

• nLite
  • DriverPacks

Inside the MultiBoot folder you disable WinRoot.
------

Next, on the MultiBoot folder click and select the LiveXP script to view the options inside this script.

There is a button that will allow to launch another winbuilder window that will show you all the scripts that are be used to build the LiveXP part.

These scripts create a 100Mb live OS filled with programs that you can disable to gain back some space, I recommend looking specifically into the Apps folder and disable all those programs that you're not interested in using. If some the name of scripts doesn't make much sense to you then I'd say leave them untouched to avoid issues.

-----

Leave the scripts inside the Basic and Finish folder without changing anything.

----

Build again and see what the is the size of the image (file with extension .ISO) that will be burnt on the CD/DVD, remember that on CD you can only fit a 700Mb image.

You don't need to burn a CD on each experiment, look on the Finish folder - you can repeat the "Create ISO" script as many times necessary until you see it small enough. You can run a individual script by pressing the tiny green play button placed next to the title of each script.

This is useful because inside your windows install CD there are usually a few folders that can be removed safely to save space.

Copy the files from the windows install CD to a folder on disk and remove all folders inside except for the one that says I386.

On uxp, specify this folder with your windows install files to be used as source to create your new boot disk.

When you're ready to finish things up within the 700Mb limit, run the ImgBurn script to launch the program that will burn the ISO onto the CD.

---------------------------

If this doesn't work, disable the scripts found inside the MultiBoot folder and it will surely produce a CD sized boot disk.

Then you should download LiveXP and built it inside another CD where there will surely be enough room to fit a CD as well.

Look here: http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?view.8

It uses the same build method as UXP so you only need to download, run the program and select the path to your windows files.

-------------

Good luck and don't worry about asking questions as it would probably be worse to live with doubts.

:whistling:

#63 BlackTulipGirl

BlackTulipGirl
  • Lady
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Good luck and don't worry about asking questions as it would probably be worse to live with doubts.

Thank you so much Nuno!

I will try that... but I have one last question, sorry- don't have an original disc as my pc was not shipped with one (which is why I want to do this) and I wanted to use the I386 folder, but it is giving me an error message saying I must use XP or W2003.... is this because I am trying to do this with Windows XP Home SP2 or because I don't have a cd? Also it says something about 'win51' file which I gather from google is on the cd... is there any way around this?

If not, I'm just going to install Linux... ;)

De todas formas, muchas gracias

Estrellita

#64 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hello Nuno,

Well after days of searching for answers to "fix" my PC I finally find you guys :whistling:
and reading your answer to BlackTulipgirl, I dare to ask for help ... (post=42325.... don't worry about asking questions as it would probably be worse to live with doubts)....

Probably a frustrated techy at heart, I am trying to learn on my own, but really just slowly turning from using the applications, to "having fun" tinkering with the appl, hardware, peripherals,... sometimes with success, other with a disaster in my hands ;) .

So pretty please bear with me (also sorry about my English).

My basic question would be:

Can I use your project to reinstall my XP OS?
If so...
Should I reformat the hard drive? Erase it tottaly before reinstalling?
Do I have to delete partitions by hand?
Do I just try to install your program from the C: prompt? (I can not get XP to run.. can only get some ms dos screens.
If the reinstallation can be done, will I end with a fully operational PC? or...
What are the differences between obtaining (if my prayers are answered) a full XP original installation disk and installing your project? (I do have DVDs with the capacity to copy it)
If I can use your project is there anywhere a download and install for dummies, tech challenge like me (step by step)?
Should I start from the C: prompt on the recovery console? The BIOS is set to boot from the CDROM now, will that be enough?
etc, etc .. more basic questions......

Problem Background (in case this helps you):
My PC stopped working, it would say file system32..... missing or corrupt. I tried using the recover disks that came with the machine with no luck. It seemed to solve that file problem but then it came up with other errors. Diagnostic says the harddrive is not corrupted but apparently files/system is/are. Running the dir told me that a lot of stuff was at zero like empty among them autoexec, msdos.....???

I looked around but most friends seem to only have Recover disk that came with the computer not the original XP installation disks.

I have to admit I went kind of crazy, tried about three different recovery disk sets, even some not for this computer (an Emachine) sometimes it would start xp set up but in the end nothing seemed to work. I went into the recovery console, not much luck. The listsvc gives me the enable and disable and I do not know what the default should be, anyway with when doing chkdsk and dir in the C: an D:(this one says it has XP SP2 or part of it) drives it gives me lots of files many of them at zero also.

Thanks a millions in advance for your help and for your contributions ;)

PS: Nuno, even if this can not work for me, I know that a lot of people that are a little bit ahead of me, (and perhaps me in the future) are beneftitting of your knowledge and hard work. I been to so many sites and this is the only one that seems to address in a real way the pc user's boot problems.

----------------

#65 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hallo, Marieta224

first a 'welcome in our community'!

Because your question is adressed to Nuno, I think that he also will answer.
But until then let me give you some preliminary explanations.

WinBuilder can build bootable PEs (for CD, USB stick etc). Whether these PEs can reinstall a corrupt system, depends on the PE contents.

If you think on that, the WinBuilder project cannot help. After repartitioning all the old contents is lost and you can use your install CD to make a totally new system (all current data are lost).
I think that is not what you want..

Suggestion: We have an expert in recovery etc. That is Jaclaz. If he does not see this post, send him a PM pointing to this topic.

Good luck!

Peter

#66 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hallo, Marieta224
first a 'welcome in our community'!
Because your question is adressed to Nuno, I think that he also will answer.
But until then let me give you some preliminary explanations.
Thanks Peter so much for taking the time to answer ;) My question was addressed to Nuno as he was the one giving instructions to ....tulip..., but of course I welcome any help you all here can give me.

WinBuilder can build bootable PEs (for CD, USB stick etc). Whether these PEs can reinstall a corrupt system, depends on the PE contents.
I feel ashamed but what is a PE? :whistling:

If you think on that, the WinBuilder project cannot help. After repartitioning all the old contents is lost and you can use your install CD to make a totally new system (all current data are lost). I think that is not what you want..
Your are right, as I still can not get hold of an installation CD, and the recovery CDs are not working.

Suggestion: We have an expert in recovery etc. That is Jaclaz. If he does not see this post, send him a PM pointing to this topic.
Thanks for the answers and the tip of Jaclaz. I'll wait a little before PMing him.

Good luck!

Peter

Again, Peter, I really appreciate the help you all provide here, and also I noticed how real friendly everyone is, not snooty . That is very much appreciated as I sometimes feel shy/afraid or deter from asking basic questionin other sites ;) Gracias for your openess and friendly approach.

#67 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

That is very much appreciated as I sometimes feel shy/afraid or deter from asking basic questionin other sites

Look into line #3 of my signature

feel ashamed but what is a PE? :whistling:

PE = Preinstall Environment.
That is the temporary operating system (rather simple, only one user etc.) which is generated first during installation of an OS like XP.
Then the PE does the final installation overwriting itself.

Most WinBuilder projects produce a PE.

Peter

#68 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

I will try that... but I have one last question, sorry- don't have an original disc as my pc was not shipped with one (which is why I want to do this) and I wanted to use the I386 folder, but it is giving me an error message saying I must use XP or W2003.... is this because I am trying to do this with Windows XP Home SP2 or because I don't have a cd? Also it says something about 'win51' file which I gather from google is on the cd... is there any way around this?

In this case what you need is to convert your I386 folder back into a usable XP Install CD.

This could be fixed manually but it is a lengthy task that I don't recommend you.

I think you'd prefer to use a program specifically created for this task: http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

It's quite simple and straightforward, I've used quite a few times on the past and always worked good for me.

This tool should hopefully help you produce a valid CD to install Windows again or perhaps be used as source for the UXP project if you wish.

There are also some options inside the program that allow you to remove a few unnecessary components and help make the overall image small enough to fit both the XP install files and a liveXP for rescuing your files.

If not, I'm just going to install Linux... :whistling:

This could also be a good idea.

I'm a windows fan but my computers at work are running linux and I also installed it on my personal laptop so I'm now using it everywhere I go: http://nunobrito1981...-to-ubuntu.html

I would only recommend that you do this after you have your documents somewhere else safe and get yourself a working windows install CD to ensure you can restore things if you don't like the shift to linux.

There were a few reasons that convince me to change.

- Absolutely free (no need for windows or office licenses)
- Much safer to virus threats
- Has some amazing 3D desktop effects that put either Mac or Vista to shame
- I run windows XP inside the virtualbox PC emulator so that I don't miss the XP specific programs

My favorite is Ubuntu.

I can also help with tips for customizing linux into a human friendly work desktop if you wish.

De todas formas, muchas gracias

Estrellita

No que puder ajudar avisa, prazer em conhecer-te Estrellita.

;)

#69 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hello Nuno,

Well after days of searching for answers to "fix" my PC I finally find you guys ;)
and reading your answer to BlackTulipgirl, I dare to ask for help ... (post=42325.... don't worry about asking questions as it would probably be worse to live with doubts)....

Probably a frustrated techy at heart, I am trying to learn on my own, but really just slowly turning from using the applications, to "having fun" tinkering with the appl, hardware, peripherals,... sometimes with success, other with a disaster in my hands :whistling: .

So pretty please bear with me (also sorry about my English).

Hello Marieta, welcome to the community.

Probably, most people you find here may have started learning in the similar way as you are doing so don't worry.

I think that what matters is that every day a bit more of experience can be gathered and these forums are important because you can ask these sort of questions before risking yourself to wreck something.

My reply to your questions got a bit bigger than expected so I recommend that you print it out to paper and cross with a pencil each step as you reinstall your windows to help following and understand these instructions in detail without confusions.

My basic question would be:

Can I use your project to reinstall my XP OS?

Yes, it can be used to reinstall XP.

If so...

You should reformat the drive to ensure that any traces of viruses hidden inside the disk are be purged completely.

One important detail should be taken into account: Do a backup of all your documents, photos, files, etc to an external drive, preferably a large sized USB HDD so that you don't lose anything.

All data inside the HDD will be removed so a backup is indispensable.

Yes, you should delete them yourself but I explain how.

When the XP install Setup starts (text mode), you will be presented with a few text screens where you are asked to either repair the existent OS (that you ignore on this case) and one of the last steps is the partioning of your HDD.

On the bottom of the text screen of the setup you find quick instructions regarding how you can delete or create a new partition.

Use the arrow keys and press "D" to delete the currently selected partition, repeat the same action until all partitions are removed.

Then you will create back the partitions that you need.

For this task you press the "C" key (create)

In most cases I use two partitions, one for installing windows and another where my documents will be placed.

20Gb is more than enough to accommodate windows XP but if you have a much bigger sized disk then you should use another value you see more fit. The remaining space can be used to create the other partition that will be used to keep all your personal files and even the backups to your windows install (will write later about this).

The second partition should preferably be bigger sized than the windows partitions.

After creating both partitions, select the first partition and click Enter to start installing windows (it will ask to format the newly created partition and you can select the quick NTFS disk format)

I recommend two partitions because the next time your windows needs to be reinstalled or crashes, all your documents will (hopefully) be safe.

--------------

Do I just try to install your program from the C: prompt? (I can not get XP to run.. can only get some ms dos screens.

This program should be run from a working windows. Once it finished you should get a bootable DVD that can be used to install widnows.

If the reinstallation can be done, will I end with a fully operational PC? or...

Yes.

What are the differences between obtaining (if my prayers are answered) a full XP original installation disk and installing your project? (I do have DVDs with the capacity to copy it)

- UXP adds a live XP OS inside the DVD. A sort of windows that will run straight from the DVD that is portable and has no need to be installed that you can use to rescue your files in case of emergency.

- Adds DriverPacks, a huge collection of drivers that make most of your hardware be recognized by windows

- Adds WUD (windows updates) that you can download and integrate on your windows install

- Adds nLite (a windows customizing tool) and programs that are also automatically installed with your windows setup.

In conclusion, it creates a huge DVD filled with all sort of goodies for those who seek a customized windows install DVD.

If I can use your project is there anywhere a download and install for dummies, tech challenge like me (step by step)?

Even thought a lot of features are included, it's very, very easy to use and I'm not joking.

- Download
- Unpack files to an empty folder like c:\UXP
- Run Winbuilder.exe and click on the Play button
- Select the folder where your windows install files are placed
- See the results.

Once the project is finished you see the new DVD image being run on the PC emulator so that you can check if everything is good.

Read the first topic on this discussion to see the complete tutorial with screenshots included to help you in case of doubt.

Should I start from the C: prompt on the recovery console? The BIOS is set to boot from the CDROM now, will that be enough?
etc, etc .. more basic questions......

Once you get the DVD created all you need to do is boot from CD-ROM, no need for recovery console.

Problem Background (in case this helps you):
My PC stopped working, it would say file system32..... missing or corrupt. I tried using the recover disks that came with the machine with no luck. It seemed to solve that file problem but then it came up with other errors. Diagnostic says the harddrive is not corrupted but apparently files/system is/are. Running the dir told me that a lot of stuff was at zero like empty among them autoexec, msdos.....???

I looked around but most friends seem to only have Recover disk that came with the computer not the original XP installation disks.

I have to admit I went kind of crazy, tried about three different recovery disk sets, even some not for this computer (an Emachine) sometimes it would start xp set up but in the end nothing seemed to work. I went into the recovery console, not much luck. The listsvc gives me the enable and disable and I do not know what the default should be, anyway with when doing chkdsk and dir in the C: an D:(this one says it has XP SP2 or part of it) drives it gives me lots of files many of them at zero also.

Let's do things from scratch to keep them as simple as possible.

First, you can create your new Windows install DVD from a machine where windows is running well.

Then you can partition your disk and install windows as mentioned above.

Last but not least, once you completed these steps we can talk about optimizations and how to reinforce the safety of your computer. I would also like to teach you how to backup your windows partition to later restore using the UXP DVD whenever you need to get your windows back into shape without having all these troubles.

Thanks a millions in advance for your help and for your contributions ;)

PS: Nuno, even if this can not work for me, I know that a lot of people that are a little bit ahead of me, (and perhaps me in the future) are beneftitting of your knowledge and hard work. I been to so many sites and this is the only one that seems to address in a real way the pc user's boot problems.
----------------

I'll never forget the day when a teacher of mine (that taught for many years in the US) told me that when any given person is trying to learn or solve something seamlessly difficult, then one should always try to divide an conquer the problem into smaller sections so that step by step we overcome any given difficulty as time passes.

On this case I think the same rule applies.

It may seem too difficult at start but we can focus and progressively get all the issues you've mentioned solved.

;)

#70 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hello Marieta, welcome to the community.

Probably, most people you find here may have started learning in the similar way as you are doing so don't worry.

Nuno,
WOWWWW :whistling: (my 1st reaction when I read your wonderful response)

This is a short note ( a more detailed answer will follow later) but I wanted to say THANKS THANKS THANKS. ;)
You people are so friendly, patient and understanding I could weep, seriously, it is so comforting to find a tech place that is populated by what is obviously caring people, it makes me feel all warm inside.

Just a few questions before I do anything else:
1) Do I have to download Winbuilder 074 first to a good PC and then the project?
2) If I just want to download the project (or if I have to do it after downloading WinBuilder) what is the exact name/location of the file?
I read all this thread and I see that you and others kept inputing new/better/upgrades for the project and I am a little confused exactly whihc one I have to download.
3) Is there a basic and then I have to download all those patches, etc. Or (I hope) Is there one place to get the whole uxp?

You seem a very caring person; and your teacher taught you right.
Nuno, muito obrigada, de sua nova "amiga" argentina (my portuguese is very rusty) ;)

#71 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi again,

a) Do I have to download Winbuilder 074 first to a good PC and then the project?

No need to download winbuilder (I mean the single winbuilder.exe), the link I mention below already has both winbuilder and the project files included.

b )If I just want to download the project (or if I have to do it after downloading WinBuilder) what is the exact
name/location of the file?

Download the UXP package from here: http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.24

Extract the downloaded uxp.zip to a short path on your disk like c:\uxp and then all you need to do is run winbuilder.exe inside this folder to open the project.

Should look a bit like this:
Posted Image

c) Is there a basic and then I have to download all those patches, etc. Or (I hope) Is there one place to get the whole uxp?

The link mentioned above is the latest version that we've made and contains all files/patches/etc that you need inside, no need to download anything else.

It's a bulky download (>600Mb) but at least everything is available on a single package.

You can of course disable the things that you don't like but by default it should give a good boot install DVD without need to change any setting when you run it for the first time.

---

Good luck with your boot disk build, I'm looking forward to hear your feedback on what can be improved from your perspective as a new user.

#72 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:23 PM

HELP!!!!! Source - Path question, et al......

Ok I've downladed and unzip winbuilder
I selected project UXP
Up to here great, the winbuilder and the project screens are clear and very clean.

BUT... ta..da... Now I think I did something really screwed up because it asked me for the source (or patch) and somehow, I think I selected the DVD drive in source, it started copying from c:uxp.

I have the awful suspicion that this is WRONG :whistling:
It is doing it at this moment....

Unluckily this is a DVD-R only so I think it is toasted. I'll get a DVD-RW for my next try once I can get a little better idea of how to proceed

Should I put as source the some windows install exe from my good PC? which file?
I am sorry to say I do not find the instructiions very friendly, at least not at my level of knowledge (or better say non-knowledge)
The screen shots are very good, but I am at a loss, if I should just put ???? on the source, and click the green or the blue arrow, if I should first or later specify anything in the path tab, the script tab ?????

Confused here ;) and in need of help!!!!

EDIT:
Ok thank god, the winbuilder let me refuse the failed copy and now I selected the source C:Windows (folder) not sure if this is right or if the source should be a specific file in teh WINDOWS folder. If this is the case can somebody please tell me which specific file / folder should be named as the source???? Thanks

#73 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

Hmm..

You're not sure about the quality or where to find your source files?

c:\windows is not a valid source.

The folder that has the correct windows install files is called I386, if you don't have an original CD but have the recovery discs (that also has an I386 folder but it is not good for what we need) then I recommend that you to follow the instructions that were suggested to help rebuild an install CD from a recovery CD: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=42409 - it shows how you can use a good tool to transform the recovery disk files into a windows XP source suited for this project.

I also recommend copying the files from your original windows Install CD onto a folder on disk and then use this folder as the source to build UXP.

This is preferable because it will be faster to copy files when you need to repeat the project a few time until you get everything as you like.

----

Also, you don't need to burn a DVD every time you want to test things, there is a little trick that might save you some valuable testing time.

When the project is finished it will run the ISO image inside a computer emulator called VirtualBox. You can run this script anytime you need. Inside winbuilder look on the "Finish" folder and run the VirtualBox script by clicking on the little green play button - this script will works after creating the project at least one time.

This emulator let's you see the resulting image straight away without need to burn, you can even install windows inside this virtual machine as a test to see how later it can be done on real hardware.

Once the image is correctly done and you like the results it should be time to burn it to DVD and try it on real hardware.

A friend of mine has pointed my attention to a detail that is a bit unclear on this case, I know you are building a boot disk to reinstall windows back into your machine but there an important question left to be asked:

Is there any data (documents, photos, files, etc) on the broken machine worth saving before reinstalling windows?

He was worried because you might not be aware that reinstalling windows will erase all previous contents on your hard disk, in this case I will also explain how UXP or any other projects available here can be used for trying to save your files from the broken machine onto a safer location like an external USB HDD or even try to recover files from the computer disk in case they have been deleted while attempting to use the restore CD's.

#74 marieta244

marieta244
  • Lady
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hmm..

Nuno, Sorry that I may sound a bit frustrated, it is not as easy or straightfoward as I thought; the instructions are written in a very clean clear way, but they just seem to need a bit more knowledge/understanding than I have.
BUT if you guys have the patience (cross my fingers), I am willing to stick here and see if I can get some of my grey cells to wake up and see the light.

Not sure about the SOURCE FILE, quality not a problem, I am working in a fully operational PC with XP OS from a friend.

Nuno, you ask for feedback, well my 1st suggestion is:
(perhaps for newbies like me), when the project asks you "to identify and copy from source" perhaps there could be a side Note: with name (or list of possible names) of file/folder, and if:
1) you DO have an installation cd inside where it would be?
or
2) if you DO NOT have an installation cd, then..
can you copy it from the windows folder in our hard drive (that is still NOT clear to me. I thought Windows OS had some kind of "block" not to let you copy certain kind of files, as anybody could make a copy of their operating system just by copying it directly from the C:Windows folder?????)
OR
do you 1st have to transform the recovery disk files into a winxp source (as you suggest below)... and what steps to follow before, during and after.

I can see in the shot by shot screen on the tutorial that in the source path you have E:/Source/WinXPPro/
the next screen is:
E:/Source/WinXPPro/I386......
Here is E: supposed to be the installation CD, which as I say I do not have, or can I say C: Source/WinXPPro/ ??? If E: is the installation Cd then I am fried ;)

It is not clear in the instructions that we had to write the word "Source" after the drive letter. Should this be done or does the program appended automatically?

Just some suggestions as these are the questions I am asking myself and do not seem to find a straight forward answer and I have not even started.
I find myself stumpped. If I can not find this out (source) how can I proceed??? , or is it that I am misunderstanding the whole thing???
As I say this is probably very basic, but perhaps it would others like me - techies wannabes :)

OK, bummer, so then I will have to restart, I did the 2nd time, as the source, the full folder C:Windows

The folder that has the correct windows install files is called I386, if you don't have an original CD but have the recovery discs (that also has an I386 folder but it is not good for what we need) then I recommend that you to follow the instructions that were suggested to help rebuild an install CD from a recovery CD: http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=42409 - it shows how you can use a good tool to transform the recovery disk files into a windows XP source suited for this project.

I do not have the original CD, yes the recovery discs, I will go an look at the link BUT... question:
Can I copy the file I386 directly from inside the C:Windows folder?
and is that the ONLY file/folder (I386) that needs to be used as the source, nothing else needs to be copied from windows, xp, installation?? Is that the secret weapon? ;)

I also recommend copying the files from your original windows Install CD onto a folder on disk and then use this folder as the source to build UXP.
XP came already installed, with only the recovery disks, as I said I do not have the original Install CD.
But I'll keep this in mind if I ever get a new PC with installation disks, thanks.

This is preferable because it will be faster to copy files when you need to repeat the project a few time until you get everything as you like.

----

Also, you don't need to burn a DVD every time you want to test things, there is a little trick that might save you some valuable testing time.

When the project is finished it will run the ISO image inside a computer emulator called VirtualBox. You can run this script anytime you need. Inside winbuilder look on the "Finish" folder and run the VirtualBox script by clicking on the little green play button - this script will works after creating the project at least one time.

This emulator let's you see the resulting image straight away without need to burn, you can even install windows inside this virtual machine as a test to see how later it can be done on real hardware.

Once the image is correctly done and you like the results it should be time to burn it to DVD and try it on real hardware.

OK good, I hope I can get to this stage, ....once I get the source question cleared, I will come back to this and read it more carefully, just a question running this scritp is for obtimizing a working xp os? I have other questions but perhaps I better come to pick your brain later about this and nto get carried away now ;)

A friend of mine has pointed my attention to a detail that is a bit unclear on this case, I know you are building a boot disk to reinstall windows back into your machine but there an important question left to be asked:

Is there any data (documents, photos, files, etc) on the broken machine worth saving before reinstalling windows?

He was worried because you might not be aware that reinstalling windows will erase all previous contents on your hard disk, in this case I will also explain how UXP or any other projects available here can be used for trying to save your files from the broken machine onto a safer location like an external USB HDD or even try to recover files from the computer disk in case they have been deleted while attempting to use the restore CD's.

Thanks for the though, luckily this time the docs and pictures of value to me were already also in my old MAC. anyway thank you friend for thinking about it.
The idea of being able to save files from a boken machine or even the ones deleted with the restore cd sounds fantastic, but I 1st have to get started.... if I ever get to do this I would love to hear about this.

;)

#75 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

At the risk to seem unfriendly, which I am not ;), rest assured, I will be direct ;):
The UXP project is someting to re-install windows in a more friendly, complete, optionally customizable way as compared to "standard" MS default install routine.

No more, no less.

It's not "magic", as it won't create files from thin air, nor create a proper installation source out of an already installed system.

Forget for the moment about UXP, simply answer this question:
Have you got a way to install XP normally?
Answering YES to the above question implies that you have any of the following requrements:
a. a copy of the XP install CD
b. an already made by your OEM \I386 directory comtaining ALL the needed files on your hard disk
c. you know how to transform the files you have on your installed system into a proper \I386 directory containing ALL needed files, AND the right version of each of them.

Answering NO to the above question implies that you miss the pre-requisites to run the UXP project, thus you should:
1) try following Nuno advice on how to re-build a proper source
2) check attentively this thread:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16381
where some hints and info are given
3) if what is contained in points 1) and 2) is not clear enough, start a new thread asking for help in "rebuilding an XP source from <whatever you have>"
4) only once and when you will have solved the problem of a proper source, come back to the idea of running the UXP project

As I like to say, you can try squeezing lemon juice from cucumbers, but taste won't be the same. ;)

Rest assured that we will try to help you as much as we can with points 1) to 3), but until we do not get succesfully to point 4), the questions about winbuilder and UXP will be not productive.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users