Flok3r

#52 mclarenmp4

mclarenmp4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

I can't seem to download the pwbootpatch.exe file, it just keeps saying page cannot be displayed. Is there any other location I could pick this file up form? Any help would be appreciated.

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I can't seem to download the pwbootpatch.exe file, it just keeps saying page cannot be displayed. Is there any other location I could pick this file up form? Any help would be appreciated.

Server is curretnly DOWN.

Wait a bit, it should be a matter of hours:
http://www.boot-land...?...=12215&st=1

:mellow:
Wonko

#54 mclarenmp4

mclarenmp4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Server is curretnly DOWN.

Wait a bit, it should be a matter of hours:
http://www.boot-land...?...=12215&st=1

Wonko

Excellent cheers for the info, I just joined so wasn't aware the server was being moved.

Thanks again
Paul

#55 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

Excellent cheers for the info, I just joined so wasn't aware the server was being moved.

I hope we are not moving, I mean NOT again. (at each move it takes a few days/weeks to fix the loose ends...:mellow:)

There have been some semi-random issues lately:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=11348

Wonko

#56 flok3r

flok3r
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

The download links seem to be still unreachable, could someone provide the 2 files, e.g at megaupload, i cant wait to try that :mellow:

thanks in advance :mellow:

#57 mclarenmp4

mclarenmp4
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Yeah and judging by the thread here it's going to be a few weeks until they will be back up.
Can you add my name to the list for these files.

Regards.

#58 gray

gray

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

Well, does'nt work with File Based Write Filter,
but I think it is the FBWF which gives the problem on usb VHD files.
The system hangs when loading drivers.
A system like this, on usb stick , should be protected by FBWF, but this does
not seem possible at the moment.
A MS change for FBWF on vhd is needed.

Regards Gray.

#59 AccessDenied

AccessDenied
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

Hi! I have spent 8 hours now with installing win7 7600 x86 with this tool (4 times), first time it boots up fine, it install "maxtor201vg... usb device" (this may be because i've installed windows by an PATA/IDE cable, inside the PC, and after that i connected the HDD by a USB cable) but after the first boot it just keep restarting after the windows logo appears. Anyone have an idea?

Edited by AccessDenied, 01 October 2010 - 01:08 AM.

#60 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Well, judging from last couple posts I guess it's not fool-proof but just had to post my recent success for balance :idea: . Have an amd64-W7x64 that died with internal hdd failure; there's many options but thought I'd try this for fun. Booted to W7PE on UFD, plugged in USB-HD and re-sized/formatted 40GB partition to accept new OS; restored Acronis image (I'm sure Ghost etc. same) of original, host W7x64 to USB-HD (normally this would fail to boot), applied patch and within a minute I'm booted to the same desktop as the failed HD but this time from external USB-HD and it works great! Programs, network, configurations all exactly as I left them; what a wonderful age of technology we live in. I guess Dhilip89 is around much anymore but if you see this, I just wanted to say thank you for your marvelous patcher :D

:D

#61 kucen

kucen
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

Can anyone tell me the minimum size of USB thumbdrive needed to fit this portable Windows 7?

#62 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

You would probably want 8GB min. for 32bit (leaves room for some programs); the W7x64 I just setup required ~13GB (loaded), so 16GB min. should do (more is always nice) :D

#63 kucen

kucen
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

Ah okay :D

#64 sionicion

sionicion
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm having issues booting a VHD off an external HDD. It DOES WORK on my Dell Dimension E520 tremendously well, but not on a HP Pro 3000... I tried both x64 Windows 7 and x86 Windows 7, both Ultimate edition. It simply does not make sense to me at all! What could be the issue?

#65 sionicion

sionicion
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Also, it has a media card reader. I think that might be the reason because on my Dell Dimension E520, if more than one USB storage device is connected it will fail to boot. Maybe it gets confused with so many USB devices because of the media card reader on the HP Pro 3000.

Also I disabled automatic restarts, it's a generic BSOD, nothing specific, it just tells you to check for viruses or any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. I'm pretty sure it's that media card reader, and I don't know how to stop it from causing issues.

#66 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Are there plans to build a version that runs on Windows XP (to operate on a Vista/7 drive)?

I would think that 75% of the time, one would want this on an operating system that isn't their primary Vista/7 OS, since it wouldn't be booting in the first place ;)

#67 goros

goros
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

I installed Windows 7 inside VMware, afterwards I applied PWBoot. As the final step I attached my USB-HDD and used the DriveImage XML to clone the virtual hdd to destination USB-HDD.

DriveImage XML has support for Windows 7, disk cloning and hot imaging (cloning drive c: while it's running).

Somehow the bootcode on my USB-HDD hasn't been updated by DriveImage XML, but I dunno why, because I thought this program is designed for this purpose?

I do not insist of using DriveImage XML for disk cloning, I am also willing to use any other disk cloning tool. Can you confirm any other (free) application for this purpose?

Or is there major conceptual fault in my approach?

#68 Hjanos95

Hjanos95
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

You can apply bootcode in other ways.
In Win7/Vista setup DVD there is a file called bootsect.exe in boot folder.
You can update the bootcode of your USB-HD by running bootsect /nt60 d:
When d: is the drive letter of your USB-HD.
You can install bootcode to MBR by giving the /mbr switch.
In this way you can boot Win7/Vista when all files copied to the USB-HD.

Other: I discovered that I have to patch again when I boot it on other computer.
It installs the drivers automatically, but after the driver installation when I run PWBootPatch.exe it says it is UnPatched and I have to patch again, otherwise I get BSOD.

#69 goros

goros
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

I got it now booting. (used Acronis True Image)

But now I am getting BSOD.

That there are no instructions is confusing me.

Do I have to apply all the steps which can be seen in the screenshots the author offers also for download in his start post here?

#70 Hjanos95

Hjanos95
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

I got it now booting. (used Acronis True Image)

But now I am getting BSOD.

That there are no instructions is confusing me.

Do I have to apply all the steps which can be seen in the screenshots the author offers also for download in his start post here?

What steps you skipped from the screenshots?
Have you selected LSI Logic SCSI adapter in VMware?
Have you disabled the pagefile?
Try to patch again it from another Windows (PWBootPatch.exe requires at least Vista to run)
Select External System in PWBootPatch and select the drive letter of your USB-HD.

#71 goros

goros
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

What steps you skipped from the screenshots?

All.

Sorry, since it's nowhere stated that these steps are compulsory, I still don't know if they are.

Have you selected LSI Logic SCSI adapter in VMware?

Yes, since it's the standard selection.

Have you disabled the pagefile?

No.

Try to patch again it from another Windows (PWBootPatch.exe requires at least Vista to run)
Select External System in PWBootPatch and select the drive letter of your USB-HD.

Ok.

#72 Hjanos95

Hjanos95
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

All.

Sorry, since it's nowhere stated that these steps are compulsory, I still don't know if they are.

Yes, since it's the standard selection.

No.

Ok.

Have you choose LSI Logic or LSI Logic SAS?

You can disable the pagefile from another working Windows.
Start regedit and Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Then select File->Load hive
Browse for your USB-HD's Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM file (the file with no extension).
Name it as USBHD.
Select USBHD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Make sure in both ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 the value Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles has empty value. Also set DisablePagingExecutive to 1.
Then select USBHD and select File->Unmount hive.
Then you can try to boot it from USB-HD.

PS: If you have chosen LSI Logic SAS in VMWare, you won't able to boot from USB-HD.
Use LSI-Logic.

#73 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Naah, since we are mostly a bunch of bastards :whistling:, we like to insert in tutorials completely unneeded and random steps, just to make them look more complex than they really are. :thumbsup:

Come on...

OF COURSE each and every step in a tutorial (unless expressly declared "optional") is needed and vital.

The whole idea of a tutorial or step by step guide is that it is to be repeated step by step :ermm:

Now, seriously, this:

Hmm, this project are designed to use on the existing Windows installation.
I also found that if just copy the entire system contents to an USB storage(and apply boot sector) will fail to boot, unless using disk cloning.

says DISK cloning ( as opposed to DRIVE cloning).

DriveImageXML clones drives, NOT disks.

Besides the MBR (the PBR or bootsector is/will be allright) you will be missing the DISK signature.
See here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=22984
and here:
http://reboot.pro/13496/page__st__13

;)
Wonko

#74 goros

goros
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Of course, that enlightened me, should have been clear, sorry... Here is what I've done so far...

1. I choosed LSI Logic (recommend setting).
2. Installed on VMware virtual hdd.
3. Applied PWBoot.
4. Looked in the device manager for anything with "intel" and exchanged it, this means to standard pci ide controller, pci standard isa bridge, pci to pci bridge, pci standard host bridge, pci to usb controller.
5. command prompt as admin, powercfg -h off
6. checked all hdds to no page file
7. shut computer down
8. booted from Acronis True Image boot cd
9. cloned the full virtual hdd to my usb hdd
10. booted with my notebook from the usb hdd

Anything wrong?

And I am using Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, it creates a 100 MB partition before the main partition, but neither this, nor Enterprise Edition should matter in this case?

Windows 7 boots until the animated bootscreen and then it suddenly reboots without BSOD or anything. Any ideas?

#75 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Sorry if I missed anything, but have you tried holding down F8 when you boot, and then select "Disable Automatic Reboot", so we can see if there really is a BSOD?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, windows, boot, full, pwboot, vhd, patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users