alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:59 AM

Better option to easy mount VHD files on a flat WinPE.vhd

I remembered some time ago I made the Spanish translation of Simple VHD Manager by velociraptor hosted on sordum.org, and downloaded last version, just running it and selecting Add to context menu and on new opened window selecting only Add options for VHD file and Add VHD options to Send to menu as on attached picture, the program creates on Send to folder located on %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo a pair of links, one for Mount and the other for Unmount, then to mount a VHD file only selecting it with right click, select Send to and Mount or Unmount as required, of course you can also unmount it by just ejecting it as usually.

Same can be done for the ISO files too if the user wants, (it looks greyed on my picture because that option is not available when running the program on Win7 OS).

As we only add links and we don't write anything to the registry when doing it this way, all this changes remain after reboot. Just tested and it works very fine.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#27 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for info on Simple VHD Manager   :)

The context Menu options work quite well to Mount and UnMount VHD files in Win10XPE.

Usually I used WinNTSetup VHD Menu to Create, Attach and Detach VHD files in Win10XPE.

Also I confirm that latest Win10XPE supports double click on ISO file to Mount ISO file. 

Thanks for info regarding persistence in WinPE Flat VHD. Registry is volatile, but added Links and Files survive reboot.

I can change WOF_Compress such that drive X: is supported if that is according to your wishes.

• doberman likes this

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Cannot this approach be adapted to .vhd mounting?

http://reboot.pro/to...le-in-win10pe/?

:duff:

Wonko

#29 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

I managed to get the VHD to boot as filedisk & ramdisk via g4d. Using firadisk.

This is mainly so that I can boot to the VHD directly from the g4d menu that I have on PC start up.

Prev I had to go via g4d -> bootmgr -> select the vhd in the bcd.

#30 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:47 PM

I can change WOF_Compress such that drive X: is supported if that is according to your wishes.

Yes, please do it, it will be nice to no need to mount it just to compress a new or modified folder content.

alacran

#31 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

JFYI

I noticed every time we boot from the Win10XPE_x64 all icons on Taskbar and those for fast access on Start Menu are rebuilded, and after some reboots you may have a lot copies of them on this folders:

Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

I found 6 copies of each one on each folder.

All they can be manually deleted, but will be recreated each boot.

This is made by Windows\System32\Pecmd.exe, to avoid this we can edit Windows\System32\Pecmd.ini just uncommenting at the very end of this file the lines under [PinUtil] as following:

[PinUtil]
//TaskBar2=X:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox ESR_x64\Firefox.exe
//StartMenu2=X:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox ESR_x64\Firefox.exe
//TaskBar1=$Start_Menu\Programs\Network\Internet Explorer.lnk
//StartMenu1=$Start_Menu\Programs\Network\Internet Explorer.lnk
//StartMenu0=%WinDir%\Explorer.exe
//TaskBar0=%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe
//TaskBar9=%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe

We will not have anymore those links, but all af them are still easy available on the desktop, so this is not a big lost. I really don't miss them.

alacran

• Tokener likes this

#32 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

When booting from g4d, I'm finding a pagefile in drive X, 128 MB.

Did not notice it when I booted from bootmgr. I think.

#33 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:12 PM

Right now I have my Win10XPE_x64.vhd mounted on drive H:, and I do not see any page file, of course see hidden files and folders is activated and hide system files is unactivated on explorer options.

alacran

Attached Files

#34 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

Cannot this approach be adapted to .vhd mounting?

http://reboot.pro/to...le-in-win10pe/?

Wonko

Thanks, but ImDisk is already available on Win10XPE_x64, and of course it also can be used. In fact I have used it too.

alacran

#35 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

To remove the file System volume information folder into a WinPE-VHD (if exists).

Having my VHD mounted as H:, I made the following RD-SysVolInfo.cmd

@echo off

rmdir "H:\System volume information"/s /q

echo Done.

:finished
timeout /T 2 >nul
exit

And ran PowerRun, just by drag and drop the command was added to it, then just selected and ran it, and the folder was easily erased, but I assume it will be re-created next time I boot that VHD.

I would like to find a way to avoid System volume information folder creation, especially on USB drives root and also into VHD files root.

Any ideas?

Edit: To remove directory System volume information and prevent to be created again. see Post No. 39

alacran

#36 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Yes, in fact System volume information folder was created again on first boot, but used size is 0 Bytes.

See attached pictures.

Any ideas to avoid its creation are Welcome

Edit: To remove directory System volume information and prevent to be created again. see Post No. 39

alacran

Attached Files

#37 winfrust

winfrust
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:32 PM

on a fat32 USB-Stick i created a textfile: System Volume Information without .txt extension, contains only CR, this avoids creation of the folder 

• alacran likes this

#38 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:04 PM

Good, thanks to you.

On a partitioned USB second partition NTFS, I deleted the Folder and copied to it a previously created blank file, no extension, unplugged and replugged it, and the trick seems to work, I'll reboot from the USB device and verify if your advice works fine on VHDs too.

alacran

#39 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:48 AM

Remove directory System volume information and prevent to be created again.

Well, I can confirm the trick works great on FAT-32 and also on NTFS formated drives or VHDs, to make things easier for other members and visitors to the forum I made an attachment on this post which includes:

• The command file to delete the System volume information folder and also add the premade System volume information file.
  • The premade System volume information file.
  • Additional command file to delete the System volume information file (just in case).
  • READ FIRST.txt file with instructions and also there you can find the link to PowerRun.

EDIT: From post No. 44

On a just formated USB drive or VHD it is very easy to only send the file to the drive with a right click + Send to:

And doing it this way avoid the creation of the folder since the begining.

NOTE:
I can confirm this, as I have tested it. Also if the user wants he/she can edit the premade file properties to Read Only and Hidden before using it, (on command line or by Send to:)

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#40 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:09 AM

Right now I have my Win10XPE_x64.vhd mounted on drive H:, and I do not see any page file, of course see hidden files and folders is activated and hide system files is unactivated on explorer options.

alacran

are you booting from G4D ?

is the vhd on a harddisk or UFD?

i'm not sure but i did not notice the pagefile when i booted via bootmgr.

EDIT : Windows does not allow a pagefile in a VHD. I think.

#41 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:39 AM

are you booting from G4D ?

is the vhd on a harddisk or UFD?

i'm not sure but i did not notice the pagefile when i booted via bootmgr.

EDIT : Windows does not allow a pagefile in a VHD. I think.

When I made the picture attached to my previous post I was running 7x64 OS, also now, it is in fact my favorite OS.

I use to boot from grub4dos a lot, from my internal HD (loading it from bootmgr) or USB devices, but haven't seen the need to Ramboot a WinPE.vhd, since when running the WinPE.iso from grub4dos or running the WinPE.wim (I mean the boot.wim but renamed) using bootmgr, it is loaded to Ram on both cases.

I think it is too much work to make the VHD to latter Ramboot from it, since you can Ramboot from the ISO or the WIM files directly.

In all test I have being doing so far the WinPe.vhd(s) are located on internal HD.  But once I finish running tests they will be copied to a fast Micro SD attached to a USB 3.0 adapter, made with UEFI_MULTI by wimb which boots using grub, bootmgr, grub4dos and AgFM, MBR and UEFI booting capable.

About the pagefile just delete the pagefile.sys file and reboot, to check if it is created again.

On Win7 installed on a USB HD it was not possible to create a pagefile, but using diskmod filter driver from karyonix, it was possible to do it, and also use multipartitioned USB sticks.

I have the idea Win10 allows not only multipartitioned USB sticks but also the creation of pagefile on USB devices (on "Windows to Go" mode install), and maybe also into the VHD, but about the VHDs I'm not totally sure, you better google for more info, and comment your findings here.

alacran

#42 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:20 AM

Done and Uploaded new version of WOF_Compress supporting to use Drive X:

version number remains 3.8

• alacran likes this

#43 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, but ImDisk is already available on Win10XPE_x64, and of course it also can be used. In fact I have used it too.

alacran

I am not sure how this matters/is related.

I was referencing to the right click -> mount (or possibly double click) for BOTH .iso AND .vhd, you mentioned the *need* of Vdisk2:

And I can confirm it, as just tested it trying to add vDisk2 by Retokener which is a little program added to context menu for easy mount and unmount VHD(X), very useful on Win7 OS.

This wasn't a big problem since I already have a direct link (Administración de discos) on desktop to %WinDir%\System32\diskmgmt.msc on all my WinPEs, by the way on Win10XPE_x64.vhd the ISOS can be mounted with a double click, only the VHDs can not.

Maybe the approach here (using powershell):
http://reboot.pro/to...ile-in-win10pe/

(that works for .iso without any third party program) can be used for .vhd as well (again without making use of any third party program) :dubbio:

Side note:

copy "System Volume Information" B:\

should be replaceable with:

fsutil file createnew "B:\System Volume Information" 0

(without needing the 0 byte file pre-created)

Or by (old school way ;)):

CD.> "B:\System Volume Information"

Wonko

#44 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the alternatives you mentioned, all this started for a wimb comment on this post: http://reboot.pro/to...hd/#entry216301

2. In WinPE Flat you cannot simply mount ISO or VHD with a double click

So even having other alternatives availables previously, I proposed a new alternative solution that I assume he liked better.

And he made this new Post: http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry216314

Thanks for info on Simple VHD Manager :)

The context Menu options work quite well to Mount and UnMount VHD files in Win10XPE.

Usually I used WinNTSetup VHD Menu to Create, Attach and Detach VHD files in Win10XPE.

Also I confirm that latest Win10XPE supports double click on ISO file to Mount ISO file.

Thanks for info regarding persistence in WinPE Flat VHD. Registry is volatile, but added Links and Files survive reboot.

About the 0 content premade System volume information file, you are right, this can be made in several ways, but since I had the file already made that I manually copied to the root of a USB device NTFS partition/drive during my first test, just edited the command to include copy it too, without thinking on a better approach.

But anyway my approach has this additional benefit:

On a just formated USB drive or VHD it is very easy to only send the file to the drive with a right click + Send to:

And doing it this way avoid the creation of the folder since the begining.

NOTE:
I can confirm this, as I have tested it. Also if the user wants he/she can edit the premade file properties to Read Only and Hidden before using it, (on command line or by Send to:)

AFAIK the folder is created first time you eject the device, but only thing I'm totally sure is: it appears next time you access the drive, if the file is not there.

I edited the previous post related to this subject to include the info on blue letters.

alacran

#45 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:33 AM

When booting from g4d, I'm finding a pagefile in drive X, 128 MB.

Did not notice it when I booted from bootmgr. I think.

After commenting a few about this, I wrote the following:

On Win7 installed on a USB HD it was not possible to create a pagefile, but using diskmod filter driver from karyonix, it was possible to do it, and also use multipartitioned USB sticks.

I have the idea Win10 allows not only multipartitioned USB sticks but also the creation of pagefile on USB devices (on "Windows to Go" mode install), and maybe also into the VHD, but about the VHDs I'm not totally sure, you better google for more info, and comment your findings here.

Then this incentivated me to run some tests:

I wanted to test the creation of a pagefile into a Win10x64 v1903 VHD located on a partition on my internal HD (no additional drivers installed), this was not possible.

When having an OS installed on a USB device, there is no dubt diskmod filter driver allows to create a pagefile on the USB device, in fact the driver was created mainly for this.  But I wanted to test if this driver was also capable to let us create a pagefile into a VHD located on a USB device.

As I already have a W864ESP1-C8.vhd (Mini Win8.1x64 installed in Compact 8K mode on a 3.5 GB VHD) on a fast Micro SD + USB 3.0 adapter, which has installed diskmod, I decided to use this for testing, I can confirm it was not possible to create a pagefile into the VHD, but creating the pagefile on the root of the USB NTFS partition/drive worked flawlessly as usually, see attached picture.

Then I can conclude a pagefile can not be created into a VHD, even using diskmod.

If running the OS from your internal HD It is also possible to create a pagefile on a fast USB device without using diskmod, but using ReadyBoost.

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive.

You should get a certified ReadyBoost USB 2.0 or higher TD for faster speed transfer.

To use ReadyBoost in Windows 10, make sure that SuperFetch is enabled. ReadyBoost won't work if the SuperFetch service is stopped or disabled.

About the "Windows to Go" mode install, I still have the idea it lets to create a pagefile on same USB device it is installed, without additional drivers, but it requires certified USB sticks, which I thing work as fixed drives not removable drives. Then no need of diskmod to make the trick on software.

By the way starting with Win10 2004 "Windows to Go" mode is deprecated.

Windows To Go is removed in Windows 10, version 2004 and later operating systems. The feature does not support feature updates and therefore does not enable you to stay current. It also requires a specific type of USB that is no longer supported by many OEMs.

alacran

Attached Files

#46 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:10 AM

With all due respect to both you and Wimb :), the idea (mine at least) is to provide possible alternatives/ideas, if you believe that what you come up with and Wimb approves/likes becomes automatically the only and best way, and not up to suggestions/alternatives, it is perfectly fine with me.

Still, namely, you originally proposed a batch that copies that pre-made file, that proposal makes no sense when the file can be created on-the-fly.

The idea of using right click to send the file to the USB or .vhd came after I posted my side note, which was a side note and related to the batch only.

Wonko

#47 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

I always have appreciated your ideas and advice, I started the post saying:

Thanks for the alternatives you mentioned, all this started for a wimb comment on this post....

To let you know, I commented on a previous post I was always using a shortcut created by myself (and added with wimlib-clc) on desktop of all my WinPEs to %WinDir%\System32\diskmgmt.msc or Right click + "Mount with ImDisk", and never worried before about the lack of the double clich to mount VHD files, in fact the doubleclick do not mount the VHDs because it is preconfigured to open the VHD on 7-zip file manager, it was intentionally used for other task (this is a personal preference of the project author) and my only intention was trying to help suggesting to wimb an alternative option to fit his personal preferences.

So yes you are right, at the moment he was agree with the suggestion I considered the subject solved, as the guy who was complaining about the right click is now agree with the proposed solution.

Nevertheless your ideas/suggestions are available for any reader who may prefer to use another approach.

About the batch file:

About the 0 content premade System volume information file, you are right, this can be made in several ways, but since I had the file already made that I manually copied to the root of a USB device NTFS partition/drive during my first test, just edited the command to include copy it too, without thinking on a better approach.

And yes you are also right, the idea to use the right click send to, came to my mind exactly when I was writing the answer to your post, I liked the idea and tested it to verify if it was or not a good idea and then wrote it.  I think it doesn't matter when I had the idea, the point is it works fine in case of just formated drives

Then I don't see the reason of your complains, I have being agree with all your ideas/suggestions and accepted they are good, but I (as anybody else) have to take my own decisions in accordance with my preferences/likes.

Your friend

alacran

#48 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

I am not complaining at all, I am simply putting the dots on the i's, and while I am at it crossing the T's, for the avoidance of doubt.

Wonko

#49 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

Attached pictures of my 7pe_amd64_E_LZX.vhd, the WinPE was made long time ago, now I updated ImDisk and 7-zip, and also added WinNTSetup 4.2.3 + some portables to Documents folder and shortcuts for them on the desktop.

The PC-Context Menu has a link to a *.cmd to install it (manually every boot), I tried to put the link on Startmenu\Start but it is not running when booting, I would like to find a way to make this automatic, maybe editing some *.ini

Any ideas?

alacran

Attached Files

• Attached File  7PE.png   110.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  Size.png   51.27KB   0 downloads

• wimb likes this

#50 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

Attached pictures of my 7pe_amd64_E_LZX.vhd, the WinPE was made long time ago, now I updated 7-zip and also added WinNTSetup 4.2.3 + some portables to Documents folder and shortcuts for them on the desktop.

The PC-Context Menu has a link to a *.cmd to install it (manually every boot), I tried to put the link on Startmenu\Start but it is not running when booting, I would like to find a way to make this automatic, maybe editing some *.ini

Any ideas?

Nice to see that 7pe is still alive  :thumbsup:

Have a look at how the other desktop icons are created Or Add WinNTSetup to PStart Menu

Boot 7pe > create link > copy Link to Make_PE3-48\PE3_mod\PE3_add\amd64\Users\Default\Desktop > boot to other OS > Run Make_PE3.exe to make 7pe

Easier is just Add WinNTSetup to PStart Menu

• doberman likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10xpe_x64, flat install, compact install, vhd

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users