115 replies to this topic

#101 samotc

samotc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:29 PM

Dear Wonko, Alacrán, and Wimb; After causing so much trouble with my questions about RAMDISK WINPE VHD, I have found that this mode is not worth it, because the ISO is higher in some respects, in others the same, and in none lower.
Here I submit some tests that I have done:

COMPARISON  AUDIOPE v.5a (ISO) AND v.5b (VHD.LZ4)

Size:                 ISO = 1.52 GB

VHD = 1.87 GB  (5 GB uncompressed)

Running Processes:   ISO = 29

VHD = 33

Charging Time:          ISO = 1:01:63 (min)

VHD = 1:13:79 (min)

Therefore, as the persistence in both is the same, it is not worth loading AudioPE in VHD even with lz4 compression, since the ISO loads somewhat faster, runs with fewer base processes, and the sound quality is very Similary.
The VHD is worth making the changes, so you don't have to mount the ISO boot.wim, test that they work, and then export a new boot.wim that will replace the old one in the AudioPE ISO.

Muy agradecido a todos por su ayuda y comprensión 

#102 samotc

samotc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:40 AM

Good that has been solved :) , but once again, we have not understood what was the actual issue, firadisk (with a 6 GB image) should work just fine, so the problem was likely in the BCD, but we don't know which entry (or missing entry) was the actual one that prevented the booting.

The main thing remains that you have your thingy booting fine :thumbsup: , still I don't personally like this way of troubleshooting issues, as it is not "troubleshooting" but rather "copying verbatim what is known to be working", which works just fine but is the exact way how knowledge is lost, before or later.

:duff:

Wonko 

Dear Wonko, I reproduced the flat WinPE installation in vhd, and I have seen that until I install the SvBus drivers, it does not start in G4D, either as FILEDISK or RAMDISK, instead, IT DOES START from the BCD menu; from what I deduce that the problem was that I did not have the SvBus drivers installed.

You were obviously right, it was a driver problem.
An affectionate greeting.

Edited by samotc, 20 October 2021 - 05:47 AM.

#103 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

Good :), I thought you had firadisk installed but as Alacran observed SVBUS is better/more compatible with more recent Windows 10 versions.

About your .vhd vs. .iso report, though it is not my field of experience, it doesn't sound "right" to me, there is IMHO *something* else going on.

At least in theory a SAME boot.wim can be "enclosed" in *any* among:

1) a .iso
2) a RAW disk image
3) a .vhd (which if it is of fixed size is actually a RAW disk image with one single Conectix sector appended)

The size of any of the above images should be very similar, there might be an overhead if the filesystem of the RAW image or of the VHD is NTFS due to the filesystem structures that are "heavier" for NTFS than for the CDFS (or the FAT32), but it shouldn't be that much relevant.

And the only difference in services should be the SVBUS (maybe some services related to hard disks, like partmgr or similar, but they shouldn't as well be relevant).

These before and outside compression.

Compression in this particular case could slow down the loading/decompressing (but the image should result as smaller and thus faster in loading from storage).

Generally speaking - not necessarily in your case - there is a trade off between image size (smaller image means less time for disk transfer) and decompression time (faster processor/RAM/buses mean less time for decompression), i.e. as a rule of thumb a compressed image works better on slow storage (conventional hard disks) than on fast storage (SSD's or similar) and on fast processors, but each case (specific build on specific motherboard setup) is different from another. 

But it should be possible to make a non-compressed .vhd and then the race would be between the SVBUS and the native .,iso driver :dubbio:, at filesystem level NTFS should be on par or faster than CDFS, but it has to be seen. 

As a side note and JFYI, there is even a third possibility, a .iso with hard disk emulation, but I don't think anyone tested it with Win10PE.  :dubbio:

Anyway, rest assured you didn't cause any trouble to anyone :).

:duff:

Wonko

#104 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 programs are now available for easy Install of Win10XPE_x64 Flat in VHD.

1. Mount Win10XPE_x64.iso e.g. by using double-click on file as seen in Windows 10/11 x64 Explorer

2. VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted.cmd allows in VHD_WIMBOOT to select Win10XPE \sources\boot.wim file

Then APPLY boot.wim file Flat on created VHD file and make BCD Boot and BCD EFI entries inside VHD and on Selected Boot Drive

3. SVBus_INST_Trusted.cmd allows to Disable Windows Defender and then in SVBus_INST program to select VHD file for Offline Install of SVBus driver

More Info: here

SVBus_INST_2021-10-20_140301.jpg

• alacran likes this

#105 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:57 PM

@ wimb

Very good, just tested VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted.cmd and SVBus_INST_Trusted.cmd building a new 10XPE_x64-Flat.vhd Compact LZX installed, using as source my Win10XPE_x64.ISO, all working fine.  Entries to boot (as MBR and UEFI) using Win bootmanager were created fine and also grub4dos entries for Filedisk boot (only on MBR version) and Ramboot (on MBR and UEFI versions) were created fine.

Like my old 1.5 GB 10XPE_x64-Flat.vhd, boots very fine as Filedisk on a PC with only 2 GB of Ram, using only 536 MB of RAM.

Thanks wimb, this makes the task of creating a flat installation of Win10XPE_x64.ISO in a VHD easier for non advanced users. As now all the process is made automatically and free of user mistakes.

NOTE: Also edited first post with this comment:

EDIT-2: VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 programs by wimb are now available for easy Install of Win10XPE_x64 Flat in VHD, see this post.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#106 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:34 AM

Very good, just tested VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted.cmd and SVBus_INST_Trusted.cmd building a new 10XPE_x64-Flat.vhd Compact LZX installed, using as source my Win10XPE_x64.ISO, all working fine.  Entries to boot (as MBR and UEFI) using Win bootmanager were created fine and also grub4dos entries for Filedisk boot (only on MBR version) and Ramboot (on MBR and UEFI versions) were created fine.

Thanks for testing the new programs and nice to hear that everything is working fine  :)

#107 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

JFYI

Just tested VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 programs by wimb but this time made a WinPE Wimboot mode installed on a VHD.

Just for testing pourposes on this procedure I used a PC with only 2 GB of RAM.

Procedure:

1. Rambooted from my old (manually made) 10XPE_x64-T-WB.vhd.lz4 33.9 MB (260 MB uncompressed).
  2. Extracted the boot.wim file from my Win10XPE_x64.ISO to Wimboot folder on a partition of HDD and renamed it to Win10XPE_x64-WB.wim.
  3. Created a 260 MB fixed size single partition NTFS MBR formated Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd by means of VHD Manager.
  4. Made the VHD partition active using BootIce.
  5. Unmounted the VHD.
  6. Ran VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 selecting the WIM and VHD files, and Wimboot mode.
  7. Ran SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 to install SVBus driver.

The program VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 ran fine and made all required boot files/folders for MBR and UEFI into the VHD, but did not make the external entries on BCDs for MBR and UEFI and also did not make the entry in menu.lst, it complained of lack of space into the VHD but it said there were 212 MB free into it, (before installing SVBus), please see attached picture.

Anyway after checking the content of the VHD was fine, I deleted the first 4 (oriental) fonts on \Boot\Fonts and \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts to save a few more than 22 MB, now the used size is 100 MB and 157 MB free. And manually created only the Ramboot entry in MBR menu.lst, as this PC boots as MBR/CSM at the moment.

The Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd Rambooted very fine using less than 500 MB of Ram.

alacran

Attached Files

#108 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Update VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62 as described here allows to make VHD with size 500 MB.

Overflow limit reduced to minimal 150 MB for DriveSpaceFree

I think using 0.5 GB VHD with 1 partition and Apply in WimBoot mode will work for you to Boot on 2 GB RAM machine from RAMDISK in WimBoot mode.

• alacran likes this

#109 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:59 AM

Update VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62 as described here allows to make VHD with size 500 MB.

Overflow limit reduced to minimal 150 MB for DriveSpaceFree

I think using 0.5 GB VHD with 1 partition and Apply in WimBoot mode will work for you to Boot on 2 GB RAM machine from RAMDISK in WimBoot mode.

I made a new build, after Ramboot again (on same PC with 2 GB of Ram) from my old (manually made) 10XPE_x64-T-WB.vhd.lz4 33.9 MB (260 MB uncompressed).

Used only VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62 to create a new fixed size 500 MB Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd (MBR single partition NTFS).

All worked fine, including the creation of entries (for MBR and UEFI) in both external BCDs and in both menu.lst as internal HDD is MBR formated and first primary active partition is FAT-32, this PC can boot on MBR/CSM and UEFI, (just adjusting the settings in UEFI firmware/Bios). please see attached pictures.

After this ran SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 to install SVBus driver.

Then used lz4_compressor and made Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd.lz4 (47.1 MB) and manually created the Ramboot entries in menu.lst

Also used 7-Zip to create Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd.gz (39 MB) and manually created the Ramboot entries in menu.lst

NOTE-1: On externally compresed VHDs, only fixed size VHDs Ramboot fine by means of grub4dos, expandable VHDs DO NOT Ramboot fine by means of grub4dos.

Both the *.lz4 and the *.gz files were loaded to Ram inmediately, but there is a price to pay for the smaller size of *.gz file (used max compression, not ultra), it takes longer to compress the VHD, but not too much as it is only 500 MB, so in this case is a viable option.

The used size of the 500 MB VHD is only 102 MB after installation of SVBus driver and 174 MB after Ramboot, and just after Rambooting from the *.lz4 or *.gz files the used memory is only 474 MB. please see attached pictures.

Some people may ask why the hell make a Flat LZX Compressed VHD or a Wimboot VHD from a Win10XPE_x64.ISO or Win10XPE_x64.wim if both are capables to boot on Ram by design, well the advantages and disadvantages are:

1. A Win10XPE_x64.wim (765 MB) is 25 MB smaller than a Win10XPE_x64.ISO (795 MB) and can boot from Win bootmanager.
  2. A Win10XPE_x64.ISO (795 MB) is 25 MB bigger than a Win10XPE_x64.wim and can't boot from Win bootmanager, only boots using grub4dos.
  3. A Flat LZX Compressed VHD (1.5 GB) consumes less Ram but is bigger than a ISO or WIM file and can boot from Win bootmanager or boot and Ramboot using grub4dos.
  4. A Wimboot VHD (500 MB) + the linked WIM file (765 MB) consumes less Ram but is bigger than a ISO or WIM file and can boot from Win bootmanager or boot and Ramboot using grub4dos.
  5. A Wimboot VHD externally compressed as *.lz4 (47.1 MB) or *.gz (39 MB) + the linked WIM file (765 MB) consumes less Ram and is only slightly bigger than a ISO or WIM file, and can Ramboot using grub4dos.

NOTE-2: Sizes may vary depending of the content of the Win10XPE_x64.ISO when created. But the referenced sizes are still valid to evaluate the different options.

It seems pretty clear that the No. 5 is the best option for saving required Ram and space, also when compared with Filedisk booting Nos. 3 and 4, as it is used only for Ramboot, all the *.log and *.etl files created every boot are volatile. and do not acumulate in the VHD, reducing after some time of use the available space into it.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#110 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:36 AM

I made a new build, after Ramboot again (on same PC with 2 GB of Ram) from my old (manually made) 10XPE_x64-T-WB.vhd.lz4 33.9 MB (260 MB uncompressed).

Used only VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62 to create a new fixed size 500 MB Win10XPE_x64-WB.vhd (MBR single partition NTFS).

All worked fine, including the creation of entries (for MBR and UEFI) in both external BCDs and in both menu.lst as internal HDD is MBR formated and first primary active partition is FAT-32, this PC can boot on MBR/CSM and UEFI, (just adjusting the settings in UEFI firmware/Bios). please see attached pictures.

After this ran SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 to install SVBus driver.

Thanks for testing with VHD Size 500 MB. Good to hear that this size is useful and that all menu entries are made and working OK.  :)

#111 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2021 - 03:30 PM

Every time we boot as Filedisk from a Win10XPE_x64 flat (uncompressed, Compact or Wimboot mode) installed on a VHD a lot of *.etl and *.log files are created on it, about 30+ to 50+ MB each boot, so after some time of use, a lot of garbage is acumulated and it increments the used space and reduces the available space.

To clean the Temp files, RECYCLE.BIN and get rid of *.etl and *.log files we can copy the attached Clean_All.bat file somewhere into our VHD (the desktop is a good place to keep it, as it is only 1 KB), and just run it before we shut off the PE VHD.

NOTE: Only the files that are created or updated every boot are deleted by this batch file. Any *.etl or *.log files that remain unchanched were not included in the batch file.

To avoid some stupid AV or Browser complain, Clean_All.zip is password protected, password is my user name: alacran

EDIT: Clean_All.bat file was edited and re-uploaded, thanks wimb detected some lines were wrong, sorry for the inconvenience.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#112 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for making Clean_All.bat for Flat Win10XPE_x64 in VHD.

I see some errors in the file:

del "%SysteDrive%\Temp"\*.* /s /f /q    
del "%WinDir%\temp"\*.* /s /f /q    
del "%WinDir%\$RECYCLE.BIN"\*.* /s /f /q

I think it should be

del %SystemDrive%\Temp\*.* /s /f /q    
del %WinDir%\temp\*.* /s /f /q    
del %SystemDrive%\$RECYCLE.BIN\*.* /s /f /q

#113 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:35 PM

Hi, wimb

I know if there are not spaces in the path we don't need to use doble quotes, but I prefer to use doble quotes always, even if there are no spaces just to make sure I will not forget them when there are spaces in the path.

It has being tested as it is and it's working fine, but feel free to change it to your preferences my friend.

It seems after all it wasn't fully tested. and in fact there were some lines wrong, Clean_All.bat file was edited and re-uploaded, on my previous post..

alacran

#114 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:55 PM

The double quotes is not the point.

The $RECYCLE.BIN folder is in %SystemDrive% and not in %WinDir%

You have %SysteDrive%\Temp where the m is missing

#115 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:16 PM

Thanks wimb, already fixed and re-uploaded.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#116 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:23 PM

Thanks wimb, already fixed and re-uploaded.

OK now  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10xpe_x64, flat install, compact install, vhd

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users