#551 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:31 AM

and another thing as well, just in case u haven't noticed yet, the right-side menu on the new panel can stand many of us in good stead inasmuch as it lets u open windows and access services that the successive brute-force deletions we were talking about weeks ago can "no longer make unavailable" - many vital functions can now be re-accessed directly from this new panel u provided, which paves the way for further and further minimalist breakthroughs. I guess this all must be reckoned with - then again, attaboy wimb!!!

• wimb likes this

#552 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:23 AM

still talking about the right panel, one little thing (resmon.exe), if I may, could come as handy as the already existing ones, especially if u think of those scenarios and architectures whereby you have the OS in various modes and reallly find it hard to tell whether u have rambooted, say, in wimboot mode or in full vhd mode. resmon would really show the difference in memory reserved for the system (the grey part on the left): if it is large that means u r in full vhd mode, while if it is small (a few hundred megs, for instance) then u r in wimboot mode. of course, my suggestion is valid only if it is not a big deal to add it.

• wimb likes this

#553 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

still talking about the right panel, one little thing (resmon.exe), if I may, could come as handy as the already existing ones, especially if u think of those scenarios and architectures whereby you have the OS in various modes and reallly find it hard to tell whether u have rambooted, say, in wimboot mode or in full vhd mode. resmon would really show the difference in memory reserved for the system (the grey part on the left): if it is large that means u r in full vhd mode, while if it is small (a few hundred megs, for instance) then u r in wimboot mode. of course, my suggestion is valid only if it is not a big deal to add it.

Very Good idea  :)  I will find a way to implement resmon.exe in the System Info Panel. 

• antonino61 likes this

#554 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:32 AM

and if u don't mind, why not see how the other "apps" were "included" so, still if it is not a big deal, everybody can add in or take out anything to "suit their own liking and condition"?

#555 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:33 AM

From this post of wimb:

I will find a way to implement resmon.exe in the System Info Panel.

That's really unnecessary if the user applies the right tag to the OS drive (on the VHD or real physical drive) when created, just by cheking the tag of drive C: (or X: if it is a PE installed on a VHD), some examples are: 10x64 for standard VHD , 10x64-C8 for Compact 8K, 10x64-LZX for Compact LZX or 10x64-WB for Wimboot.

Additionally on the task manager the memory reserved for the system is available, and also you can see there the SVBus virtual drive (if the OS is running on Ram).

alacran

#556 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:42 AM

so we can alternatively apply the right tag to anything, as long as u or someone else explains how to. btw, task manager tells us the memory in use by the system (the green part on resmon), not the memory that is occupied by the system in advance (the grey part on resmon), if i am not mistaken. and even if I am, the immediate chromatic visualization is way beyond compare even for spartans like us. plus, my view is also that of adding in or taking out whatever does or does not suit us.

#557 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

so we can alternatively apply the right tag to anything, as long as u or someone else explains how to.

Just make a right click on the C: drive (or the letter assigned when attached) and select CHANGE NAME type your prefered name and press enter.

Win10XPE_x64-WB.png

It is the same as change the name of a file or a folder.

I can't believe you didn't know this.

alacran

#558 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:24 AM

I surely did know it, but then I would have to change name and stuff. well I'll be, I consider it a pseudo-valid alternative. of course my proposal is not indispensable, but it would surely be convenient, still if it is not a big deal to achieve it.

#559 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

It is not a pseudo-valid alternative, it is in fact totally valid.

Attached pictures taken when Rambooting on a 2 GB Ram PC, from my 1 GB Mini-10x64-WB.vhd, on first picture we can see very clearly the amount of memory reserved for hardware (obviously it includes the VHD loaded on Ram), on second picture we can see the SvBus virtual drive.

Isn't that clear enough?

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Memory.png
  • SVBus virtual drive.png

Edited by alacran, 24 October 2021 - 10:07 PM.
Typo on the word enough

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#560 extremewl

extremewl
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

hi guys :) Stuck with a problem while making win10 RAMDISK 3.9 gb expand. Fallowed (How to Boot VHD in WimBoot mode from USB Portable SSD as FILEDISK and with Grub4dos from RAMDISK using SVBus driver) tutorial pdf. I have done all with install svbus with reg one. Normal vhd works in usb but when im trying to run on ramdisk 3.9 with svbus driver it stucks with logo and blackscreen and restart or progress1 initiliazation failed errors that i'm getting. Any solition with it. I really need expand not fixed. Fixed was works great. Thaks all :)

#561 extremewl

extremewl
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:58 PM

hi guys :) Stuck with a problem while making win10 RAMDISK 3.9 gb expand. Fallowed (How to Boot VHD in WimBoot mode from USB Portable SSD as FILEDISK and with Grub4dos from RAMDISK using SVBus driver) tutorial pdf. I have done all with install svbus with reg one. Normal vhd works in usb but when im trying to run on ramdisk 3.9 with svbus driver it stucks with logo and blackscreen and restart or progress1 initiliazation failed errors that i'm getting. Any solition with it. I really need expand not fixed. Fixed was works great. Thaks all :)

Sorry again :( Error name is mistaken. process1 initiliazation failed. 

#562 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

Posted 3 hours ago

Attached pictures taken when Rambooting on a 2 GB Ram PC, from my 1 GB Mini-10x64-WB.vhd, on first picture we can see very clearly the amount of memory reserved for hardware (obviously it includes the VHD loaded on Ram), on second picture we can see the SvBus virtual drive.

Isn't that clear enought?

alacran

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-26560-0-97233500-1635099969_thumb.p
  • post-26560-0-65274000-1635099985_thumb.p
  •  

it is clear now, I confess I never had noticed it before. as for other possible additions or deletions, I am still bound by my old proposal, though.

btw, I took a closer look, and you won't believe this: I really can find all disks listed in a like page of task manager here, but my vhd is missing, and I do not know why. what I did find here, though, is the resmon clickable indication, which is real handy (as one can also see below your edition with el archivo de recursos), so no need for wimb to include it in the panel; but for example, the system icon in the control panel that is dead after my brute-force deletion, can be recovered by "advancedsystemproperties.cmd, and so on and so forth. so I am still advocating the advantage of having it all in one panel, especially when u do the final trimming before capturing and applying. you know, just these amenities. I still wonder why my vhd is not on the list of resources, but my ethernet card and video card are. 

Oh well, now I think I know why, u must have booted from a usb stick, have you not? me, now that I have rambooted the same vhd, I can see it as disk c: and if I select memory I can see ur reserved ... kinda thing, but the eye-catching power of graphics is way beyond compare at least to me, and this can be achieved, as I was saying, also below ur reservado por el archivo, and also in the case of 0 reservation so again no need for wimb to check, but for all other amenities ... it would stand all of us in good stead. me before realizing what u have shown me, I had all these as start menu commands, but if they can be reached from one panel ...

#563 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:53 PM

@ extremewl

Best practice is:

Allways use the last version from this page, on the page open Releases  >>> Latest

Download VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62-E.zipWin_Reduce_Trusted-45-E.zip and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20-E.zip (the current last releases).

VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted: Useful to capture and install in Normal, Compact or Wimboot mode on a VHD, also capable to create new fixed size or expandable VHD, (fixed size, MBR single NTFS partition is my prefered option).

Win_Reduce_Trusted: Useful to highly reduce the VHD used space, removing non critical features. Optional but strongly recomended.

SVBus_INST_Trusted: Let us off-line install the SVBus driver to the VHD, no need to do it manually anymore.

Talking about your issue:

If your VHD boots fine as Filedisk, but do not boot fine as Ramdisk, there is something wrong with SVBus driver installation.

Suggestion:

1. Boot the VHD as Filedisk, on Device Manager >>> Storage drivers, totally remove the SVBus driver.
  2. Reboot again the VHD as Filedisk (just to make sure all related to SVBus was eliminated).
  3. Reboot from your current 10x64 OS on HD (disable your AV), or even better reboot from a Win10XPE_x64, (no AV issues).
  4. Extract  and run SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 selecting your VHD as target, waith for it to finish.
  5. Now all should be fine and your VHD should be capable to Ramboot without issues.
  6. Try Rambooting from the VHD.

alacran

#564 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:40 PM

@ antonino61

The pictures attached on post No. 559 were made Rambooting from my 1 GB Mini-10x64-WB.vhd located into internal HD, where Disk 0 is the single internal HD and Disk 1 (C:) is the SVBus virtual disk.

If Rambooting from same VHD located on a USB, then Disk 0 will remain the same, Disk 1 will be the USB device and Disk 2 (C:) the SVBus virtual disk.

For other things/features you can't see or use because of your (IMHO) excessive brute force cutting, that's the cause you have the need to replace your cuts with something else (additional portable programs, short cuts, etc) to recover certain lost features.

alacran

#565 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:19 PM

of course, alacrán, and the initial idea by u, wonko and wimb, and who not of the pundits here was to rely on portables first, which has always found me in total agreement with all of u on; after all the main idea was to keep the system as small and swift as possible, and both smallness and swiftness should rely on unintegrated software, for many reasons, among which keeping the system clean, with as little interference as possible with the registry, and so on and so forth. this is why we have machines running for years as fast as the first day of os install, or even faster and more efficienty, for that matter, a situation I cannot have, say, at work, where I see slowdowns by the week. I remenber u and wonko once telling me to start minimal (possibly with the idea of a winpe in mind) and working my way upwith additional software; then we saw it was not so easy and started the other way round, from all to less and less on our way thru. But the idea of using windows as a ferryboat, "only from switching the machine on to the interface", and possibly rely on whatever else in my case also included some disruption of windows features if one found any portable or command or reg file to do the same (the vhd would be all the lighter!).

ps.: so, getting back to ur description above, u r not running ur vhds as filedisks on windows bootmgr, but on svbus instead? me if I have to maintain I run it on bootmgr, otherwise I ramboot whenever I can. 

#566 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:47 AM

When booting from my VHDs, my prefered way is Ramboot from a *.lz4 compressed VHD.

Reduced Wimboot VHDs lz4 compressed on only one low Ram machine (2 GB), that is used mainly for Net Flix or internet tasks, and Reduced Compact LZX VHDs lz4 compressed on machines with 4 GB of Ram or more.

But also have at least a standard installed OS on the HD to deal with certain games or programs that require more resources.

And that is only because I don't want to spend money buying new greater capacity Ram boards, if the Ram boards I have in use now are still working fine, and this alternative works very fine when required.

I think build a brand new machine with plenty of new and faster Ram, a new better MB and a new fast SSD, when one of these old machines finally fails is a better way to spend my money.  After all if using an online account for the OS, it can be transferred to a new machine at no cost, and latter updated to the very last version if I want.

also

#567 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2021 - 04:15 AM

Booting in MBR BIOS mode with Grub4dos allows to Boot Expandable VHD booting from RAMDISK and using SVBus driver.

Booting in UEFI mode with UEFI Grub4dos requires Fixed VHD and Expandable VHD is NOT supported.

What is your way of booting ?  MBR BIOS mode Or UEFI mode ?

#568 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:12 AM

Update VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-63 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-46  and SVBus_INST_Trusted-30  and  WOF_Compress-43

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-63  and   Win_Reduce_Trusted-46  and  SVBus_INST_Trusted-30  and  WOF_Compress-43

Download File E = Encrypted PassWord = bootwimb

Manual:   VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

Always Shut-Off AntVirus Software and Disable Windows Defender when working with signed SVBus driver !!
otherwise wimlib and Boot errors will occur .....

- Added System Info Panel including Resources Button for support of Resource Monitor - resmon.exe

- VHD_WIMBOOT - New created VHD FileName contains  Apply Mode Tag

Tag in VHD FileName according as proposed by alacran e.g. WB for WimBoot and C4, C8, C16 and LZX for Compact Mode

• alacran likes this

#569 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:21 AM

Isn't that clear enough?

Very nice illustration  :)

I confirm that SVBus RAMDISK Drive C: is seen in Task Manager,

but my regular Windows 11x64 OS booting as VHD FileDisk Drive C: is Not seen in Task Manager

Tasks_2021-10-25_073148.jpg

• antonino61 likes this

#570 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

Tx 4 the additions as well, wimb. To this end, can the panel be made customizable?

#571 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:17 AM

Tx 4 the additions as well, wimb. To this end, can the panel be made customizable?

The System Info Panel can be changed only by changing the Program code.

So if we agree some item must be added or removed then this can be achieved easily by me, but not by the user ....

• antonino61 likes this

#572 extremewl

extremewl
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:21 AM

Booting in MBR BIOS mode with Grub4dos allows to Boot Expandable VHD booting from RAMDISK and using SVBus driver.

Booting in UEFI mode with UEFI Grub4dos requires Fixed VHD and Expandable VHD is NOT supported.

What is your way of booting ?  MBR BIOS mode Or UEFI mode ?

@ extremewl

Best practice is:

Allways use the last version from this page, on the page open Releases  >>> Latest

Download VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62-E.zipWin_Reduce_Trusted-45-E.zip and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20-E.zip (the current last releases).

VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted: Useful to capture and install in Normal, Compact or Wimboot mode on a VHD, also capable to create new fixed size or expandable VHD, (fixed size, MBR single NTFS partition is my prefered option).

Win_Reduce_Trusted: Useful to highly reduce the VHD used space, removing non critical features. Optional but strongly recomended.

SVBus_INST_Trusted: Let us off-line install the SVBus driver to the VHD, no need to do it manually anymore.

Talking about your issue:

If your VHD boots fine as Filedisk, but do not boot fine as Ramdisk, there is something wrong with SVBus driver installation.

Suggestion:

1. Boot the VHD as Filedisk, on Device Manager >>> Storage drivers, totally remove the SVBus driver.
  2. Reboot again the VHD as Filedisk (just to make sure all related to SVBus was eliminated).
  3. Reboot from your current 10x64 OS on HD (disable your AV), or even better reboot from a Win10XPE_x64, (no AV issues).
  4. Extract  and run SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 selecting your VHD as target, waith for it to finish.
  5. Now all should be fine and your VHD should be capable to Ramboot without issues.
  6. Try Rambooting from the VHD.

alacran

Thanks guys :)

Tried with 1 laptop and 1 desktop - both MBR BIOS mode. Intresting thing is fixed vhd works aswell, filedisk too. Just expand ramboot doesnt. Svbus i had installed both way. 1. way vas (SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 selecting your VHD as target, waith for it to finish) 2. way (inside of SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 with reg and sv64x installed and checked its installed and working without problems at device settings. I'll try all over again tonight with win10PE. Maybe normal win10 is causing a problem defender or something else. :( 

#573 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:31 AM

Thanks guys :)

Tried with 1 laptop and 1 desktop - both MBR BIOS mode. Intresting thing is fixed vhd works aswell, filedisk too. Just expand ramboot doesnt. Svbus i had installed both way. 1. way vas (SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 selecting your VHD as target, waith for it to finish) 2. way (inside of SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 with reg and sv64x installed and checked its installed and working without problems at device settings. I'll try all over again tonight with win10PE. Maybe normal win10 is causing a problem defender or something else. :(

What is your Apply Mode when making 3.9 GB Expandable VHD ?

What do you use as Partition Setting ?  "MBR 2 Partitions" Or "MBR 1 Partition" ?

#574 extremewl

extremewl
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:43 AM

What is your Apply Mode when making 3.9 GB Expandable VHD ?

What do you use as Partition Setting ?  "MBR 2 Partitions" Or "MBR 1 Partition" ?

sRz8XDm.jpg

After wim captured. Final appy mode.

#575 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

Update VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62 and Win_Reduce_Trusted-46  and SVBus_INST_Trusted-30  and  WOF_Compress-43

Download:  from wimb GitHub  -   VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62  and   Win_Reduce_Trusted-46  and  SVBus_INST_Trusted-30  and  WOF_Compress-43

Good work my friend.

No problem if there is only x64 version of majority of them, as usually I run almost all of them on x64 PE.

But I will apreciate a lot if you can include WOF_Compress_x86.au3 in the WOF_Compress download as you used to do, (I can make the WOF_Compress_x86.exe in AutoIt and add it to my AV exclusion list).

I have an only 2 GB of Ram machine running 10x86, and It has proven to be very useful to be able to run WOF_Compress_x86.exe from x86 OS.

I have in all my PCs a very small partition of only 2.3 GB at the end of my HDs, that is Compact LZX compressed, where all my portables reside and it's easier to update the portables and recompress the new versions from the OS without the need to boot from a PE only for this task.

But so far the last WOF_Compress_x86.exe version I was able to create is v4.0 and I think it is time to update it.

Thanks in advace.

alacran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ramdisk, grub4dos, wimlib, svbus, windows 10, ssd, usb, wim, vhd, wimboot

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users