MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I have successfully built an Kubuntu Live UFD using LiLi. Personally I would prefer that LiLi would be an application using a 'real' window. I don't like those half transparent or scraggy windows. But that's not the reason for this post.

Kubuntu 10.10 is booted by syslinux. I understood that LiLi always uses the boot loader that is adequate for that specific distribution. This seems to be syslinux for Kubuntu 10.10. I would prefer to use grub4dos as the primary boot loader because then I can easily integrate other images created with WinBuilder. Since grub4dos can start syslinux would it make sense to have an additional step in LiLi at the end where one can choose the preferred primary boot loader and both the primary and the required boot loader will be installed and configured.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#2 Thibaut

Thibaut

• Developer
  • 32 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

I will try to add an advanced parameter to LiLi in order to force a bootloader. This should not be too hard.

In my opinion (after thousands of Linux tested), syslinux is way more reliable when it comes to boot from USB. This is why I try to use it as much as I can.

Plus, Grub4dos is very rarely updated.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

In my opinion (after thousands of Linux tested), syslinux is way more reliable when it comes to boot from USB. This is why I try to use it as much as I can.

Plus, Grub4dos is very rarely updated.

Well, NO.

NO :cheers:, about stability (which is however more a "state of mind" than anything else), and NO :w00t: about updates.

There is a "current release" (which is VERY rarely updated :whistling:) and an experimental branch (actually two), that is/are continuously updates.

Take your time reading the WHERETO:
http://reboot.pro/14/

In a nutshell, at the moment of this writing:
Current: grub4dos-0.4.4-2009-10-16.zip
Experimental Tinybit: grub4dos-0.4.5b-2011-01-22.zip
Experimental Chenall: grub4dos-0.4.5b-2011-01-28.7z

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 Thibaut

Thibaut

• Developer
  • 32 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Wonko but i'm trying to avoid using experimental code as much as I can.

Currently, I use syslinux to chainload Grub4Dos for a very simple reason : it's easier to setup since syslinux CLI only needs the drive letter.

LiLi can figure out the Physical Disk number from drive letter but I had a few issues on some systems (XP Home without WMI).

Would you have any suggestion to make on that point ?

#5 shamurshamur

shamurshamur

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 322 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

Currently, I use syslinux to chainload Grub4Dos for a very simple reason : it's easier to setup since syslinux CLI only needs the drive letter.

Exactly same story here.
Grub4dos is great boot-loader and has better functionality then Syslinux.
But installer for grub4dos(grubinst.exe) is acting like a bottleneck.
Two months ago when i checked grubinst.exe was not able to install grub4dos on PBR so we had to rely on MBR install.
Also you have to always specify wheteher USB device is USB-HDD ,USB-FDD etc. which i think installer should handle it automatically.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

LiLi can figure out the Physical Disk number from drive letter but I had a few issues on some systems (XP Home without WMI).

Would you have any suggestion to make on that point ?

You may want to "talk" with steve6375, we recently "talked him into" :whistling: removing WMI dependence form RMPREPUSB, and he also has some nice tricks about installing grub4dos.... :cheers:

:w00t:
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users