• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

Wonko you may benefit from this: 101 reasons linux is better

Thank you :huh:, you may be unaware about how much I am against proselitism:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9343

However, JFYI, I am probably more familiar with them Linux distro's than you might suspect.

:)
Wonko

#27 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

I think the main problem a lot of us have to grasp your concept is, that most of us here are not collectors, but builders.
We would rather spend a week building the one perfect PE, which can do all, then just a day throwing 5 premade images onto a CD or USB-Stick.

The fact that you favor Linux, which makes this even easier, makes it only that much harder to understand, why you don't. :huh:

#28 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

so your client brings you a computer with a dual boot 1 being Ubuntu the other suse linux and has several issues what does your pe do to fix the problem? now with what you call my collection i can fix any windows based system as well as the linux client issues. I work on all kinds of computers, a lot have just gone pure linux so a simple pe key wont do the trick.

Now i would like to create a multipartiton 32 gb stick that would include my current list possibly a pe build, custom: xp, vista, win7, installs (to install on pc's ) as well as several other versions of linux but that will be down the road.

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

so your client brings you a computer with a dual boot 1 being Ubuntu the other suse linux and has several issues what does your pe do to fix the problem?

:huh: You asume wrong, that a PE can't handle that. Even our default projects, can deal with Linux, even more a version that was really designed to be used on Linux machines too.

#30 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

all fine and well suggest a build that could be added to the multiboot or and the next time im working on an linux server i will give it a try. but using anything microsoft based seem pointless when the proper linux tools are available. don't get me wrong i have no problem with bartpe builds but when im fixing windows machines the problems are often easily solved with removal maleware or proper installations of drivers a fresh install is what most people want anyway with proper security... but i digress as much fun as this back and forth has been
i do not have the time to keep this going any one feel free to post hopefully helpful additions but post what ever you want i... I have posted in another forum and received the feed back i was was looking for.

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

so your client brings you a computer with a dual boot 1 being Ubuntu the other suse linux and has several issues what does your pe do to fix the problem?

Actually nothing, whilst my custom built Linux does a lot of things.

You are assuming that "Windows guys" cannot also be "Linux guys" and viceversa, nowadays this is not the case always.

As it seems to me I clearly explained before, I am not criticizing your preferred use of Linux :), I am criticizing your unneeded use of several overlapping Linux distro's. :huh:

:cheers:
Wonko

#32 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

Give it a rest jaclaz, he looks for people, telling him, what other awesome things to add to his boot-stick. Not for people, who tell him, how to build a smarter boot-stick.

Think ha has misread Boot-Land as Cool-Land. :huh:

#33 florin91

florin91

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 197 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

OK, good tutorial, but I have some questions to ask. :thumbsup:

First of all, why did you use .iso images to boot distros ? If I'm not wrong, booting iso images from stick does take more time than extracting in folders and modify paths, isn't it ? And, it's true, is "lazy man job", I mean not performance, but quicker job.

Second question, this is the ONLY method to make ? Like I said above, can I extract the .iso in a folder, so gaining performance for "512 RAM computers" ?

That's all, thanks! :cheers::

---------
florin91

#34 naebeth

naebeth

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:My main interests are in web development, but I'm not that great yet. I have some Flash knowledge as long as I can use ActionScript 2. I do some Python dabbling in my free time. Currently waiting to go to university for a BSc Hons in Web Development. Not too fussed about hardware, but I could build a PC and I love messing with networking.<br />Outside of computing I like BMX, motocross, free running, reading, XBox, etc. Could never live without a dog or two around the house.<br /><br />That's about it for me, really. Nothing else I can think of saying that isn't advertising things, so I'll leave it at that for now.
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

For OP.

Seeing as your original post still has incorrect Slax code I though I'd post mine here. It'll either give you something that works to include in your tutorial (and USB stick) or prompt you to update with whatever code you've managed to get working.
Its based on UBCD's folder paths, but I'm sure you can change it to work in your system:
title 1&#41; Slax\n Slax Core 6.1.2

map --mem /ubcd/custom/slax_ubcd.iso &#40;0xff&#41;

map --hook

root &#40;0xff&#41;

kernel /boot/vmlinuz from=/ubcd/custom/slax_ubcd.iso ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 

initrd /boot/initrd.gz

#35 gutnik

gutnik

• Advanced user
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

:cheers: Yep! But you know, that i meant, they arrest the guy with the little knife for possesing such a dangerous forbidden weapon.

Reminds me off an old sketch.
An Airport guard stand right next to a metal detector and everytime it makes peeep, the person just going through has to strip and is thoroughly checked.
Then a Terrorist comes packed full with granades, pistols, 2 big machine guns and a rocket launcher on his back.
The metal detector makes bang and burns out. The guards wish him a pleasant flight. :cheers:

:hyper:

#36 gutnik

gutnik

• Advanced user
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Very nice to see and read all this.

A pupil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users