• 22 posts
  • Interests:^L^
  •  
    Austria

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

News ... :)  https://www.ventoy.n...n/doc_news.html

Ventoy News

• 2020/10/17 --- 1.0.24 release
  • Disable "Pass parameter by ACPI table" feature introduced in 1.0.23 by default. It's not compatible with Windows 7/8 and will cause error.
  • Fix apt mirror bug when install Debian series distros
  • New iso support
    • debian-10.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso (Legacy + UEFI)
    • debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso (Legacy + UEFI)

Edited by @thehop, 19 October 2020 - 07:53 AM.

#302 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:58 AM

• 2020/10/24 --- 1.0.26 release
  1. Support dual mode plugin options. Notes
  2. Display a warning message if syntax error detected in ventoy.json.
  3. Use the original order from image list plugin (if exist) in boot menu. Notes
  4. vtoyboot-1.0.3 release Notes
  5. Optimization for the tip message in Ventoy2Disk.sh

• alfreire and devdevadev like this

#303 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:56 AM

• 2020/10/31 --- 1.0.27 release
  1. New Boot Conf Replace Plugin to dynamically modify the boot options in configuration file. Notes
  2. Add an menu to enter Text Mode in F5 Tools ==> Screen Display Mode
  3. Fix issue #555 (treeview mode VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE ineffective in special case)
  4. vtoyboot-1.0.4 release. Notes
  5. New iso support
    • 2020-02-12-rpd-x86-buster.iso (Legacy + UEFI)
    • FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso (Legacy + UEFI)
    • FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso (Legacy)

• alfreire and fi-zilal like this

#304 kyl

kyl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

for everyone who wants to install it on disk with different partition layout:

u can swap partition numbers in gdisk: x -> t and enter two partitions numbers u want to swap

#305 kyl

kyl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:10 PM

for everyone who wants to install it on disk with different partition layout:

u can swap partition numbers in gdisk: x -> t and enter two partitions numbers u want to swap

ok, this works on dell laptop, DO NOT try it on HP coz it messed up harddisk booting

#306 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:14 AM

It would be good if we could run Ventoy from internal HD (on MBR/CSM and/or UEFI environments), not only from a USB device.

Thanks to Vortex for his post: http://reboot.pro/to...e-5#entry217214

Can I install Ventoy to local disk ?
Yes !    You can install Ventoy to USB drive, Removable HD, SD Card, SATA HDD, SSD, NVMe ...
In Windows, Ventoy2Disk.exe will only list the device removable and in USB interface type by default. If you want you can run from cmd Ventoy2Disk.exe -U then all the devices will be in the list.
In this case you must take care about the list and make sure to select the right disk.
In Linux, you need to specify the device to install Ventoy which can be a USB drive or local disk.

It should be specially noted that, no matter USB drive or local disk, all the data will be lost after install Ventoy, please be very careful.

Thanks for your answer, but ufortunatelly it is not what I would like to do.

I was thinking in chainloading to Ventoy from grub4dos or grub2, not in installing it as the main bootmanager and loose al info on one of the the internal HDs, in fact on this PC I have 2 internal HDs, both MBR formated.

The first HD first primary active Partition is NTFS for MBR booting Win7, Win10 and several VHDs, ISOs & WIMs files, that can be ran by means of Win bootmgr, grub4dos or agFM.

The second HD (MBR formated too) first primary partition is FAT-32 for UEFI booting, by means of BootIce I created 2 additional entries so now using the boot override key (F8) there are 3 options to boot on UEFI

• The standard MS Windos:  \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi (unmodified)
  • Grub2: \EFI\Boot\BOOTX64.EFI  >>>  Created using BootIce
  • grub4dos for UEFI: \EFI\Boot\bootx64_g4d.efi  >>>  Created using BootIce

Grub2: On \grub\grub.cfg there are entries to chainload to:

• The standard MS Windos:  /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
  • grub4dos for UEFI: /EFI/Boot/bootx64_g4d.efi
  • agFM: /EFI/Boot/grubfmx64.efi

grub4dos for UEFI: On \EFI\grub\menu.lst there are entries to chainload to:

• The standard MS Windos:  /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi  >>> Not working fine yet, see NOTE
  • Grub2: /EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI
  • agFM: /EFI/Boot/grubfmx64.efi

NOTE: Not working fine yet, but chainloading to grub2 first, then it can can be called, and we get MS Boot Menu.

I used as a guide the USB_FORMAT tool from wimb, wich I used to format a USB device and just copied all content of U-BOOT partition to my FAT-32 partition, edited the BCD and added the grub4dos for UEFI renamed file on FAT-32 partition \EFI\Boot\bootx64_g4d.efi, created my menu.lst on \EFI\grub\menu.lst and made the entries and finally edited the \grub\grub.cfg, after this just created the new entries on UEFI by means of BootIce as said.

Ventoy starting from version 1.0.28 has this note on page: https://www.ventoy.n...n/doc_news.html

2020/11/14 --- 1.0.28 release

Prohibit the use of Ventoy in unofficial environments. Notes

So it will not work if it is on a partition layout not created by itself.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#307 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:06 PM

Ventoy starting from version 1.0.28 has this note on page: https://www.ventoy.n...n/doc_news.html

So it will not work if it is not on a partition layout not created by itself.

alacran

Sad news :(

And even sadder considering that the topic has been explicitly talked about with the Author by Steve6375 and by myself and - seemingly - we had managed to convince him that it wasn't a sensible approach to force users to use the ventoy2disk in all cases.

Ah well, yet another "all your bases are belong to us" approach, not the first, not the last, but still saddening :(.

:duff:

Wonko

#308 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

Yes, I was thinking it could be very nice to chainload to Ventoy during boot and then ready to run a Linux VHD on the PC, and not being forced to install the distro on a partition and deal with the stupid automatic config created during the installation, that is very hard to manually set to the user preferences or desires. and will destroy all my current boot alternatives.

EDIT: I don't like the VM alternative.

alacran

#309 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

I have recompiled Ventoy so it doesn't test for the unique partition arrangement.

The new version is called 'Ventoy for Easy2Boot'.

I have written instructions on how to compile your own version.

http://rmprepusb.blo...boot-v1029.html

All other functionality is identical (i.e. payload files on partition 1, etc.).

• alacran likes this

#310 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:55 PM

Hi..LongPanda..

7za  x  -y  -aoa  -oX:   startup_vtoy.7z

Suppose I using 'Injection Plugin' in ventoy.json, then it will extract the files of the 'startup_vtoy.7z' to the root of X: Drive as follows -

X:/Windows/System3/winpeshl.ini -
===============================
[LaunchApps]
%SystemRoot%\system32\wpeinit.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\netstart.exe
x:\windows\system32\startup_vtoy.bat

X:/Windows/System3/starup_vtoy.bat -
==================================
cmd /q /c  "FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\_ISO\WINDOWS\INSTALLS\CONFIGS\INSTALL_WIN_VTOY.CMD  cmd /k %%i:\_ISO\WINDOWS\INSTALLS\CONFIGS\INSTALL_WIN_VTOY.CMD"

INSTALL_WIN_VTOY.CMD -
=====================
copy %XML% %USBDRIVE%\logs\AutoUnattend.xml >nul 2>nul
if exist X:\Setup.exe X:\setup.exe /unattend:%XML%
if exist X:\Setup.exe goto :End
if exist X:\Sources\Setup.exe X:\Sources\setup.exe /unattend:%XML%
if exist X:\Sources\Setup.exe goto :End

In this file I want to continue Windows Installation setup by running 'setup.exe' along with the XML file which is choosen in Ventoy screen. So what exact location of the XML file I should use in above setup.exe command ?

Can you please tell me where Ventoy actually copy the choosen XML file ?
Does Ventoy copy the choosen XML file within X: Directory ?

XML= ?????

Does Ventoy using any .cmd or .bat file which run 'setup.exe' along with %XML% ? If so then please provide codes of that batch file which run 'setup.exe' at the end....??

#311 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:12 AM

JFYI

Just to let you know linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso also works fine using Ventoy Persistence Plugin.

alacran

#312 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

Hello friends of the Ventoy tool
By chance I have noticed a regularity in the behavior of the Ventoy boot tool that is not documented:
Ventoy refuses to boot Windows-PE ISOs whose boot.wim is larger than ~1024MB.
Since the manufacturer of Ventoy is interested in such facts I reported it in his forum.

This is not cross-posting, I just want to know if anyone has noticed this behavior.

Best regards   T.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

#313 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:52 AM

Easy2Boot's latest Beta of agFM (grubfm) now allows you to add Ventoy partition images to your Easy2Boot USB drive.

A .cmd file is provided which automatically downloads the latest version of Ventoy (whatever it is) and makes the new partition image files.

Three different Ventoy images are made, the first two are the same as the two options you get when using the Ventoy maker tool - Secure with MokManager or non-secure. The third Ventoy image includes the Kaspersky shim so that you can Secure UEFI64-Boot to Ventoy without needing to use Mok Manager (as long as the Kaspersky shim is not blocked in the UEFI BIOS DBx blacklist).

https://easy2boot.xy...l-ventoy-image/

• alacran likes this

#314 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:17 AM

New Ventoy 2021/07/17 --- 1.0.47 release: https://www.ventoy.n...n/doc_news.html

1. Optimizations for booting openwrt
  2. Support some floppy images in Memdisk mode
  3. Remove the 2TB limit for the reserved space in Ventoy2Disk.exe
  4. Fixed a bug when booting big boot.wim file.
  5. Compatibility improvement for WinPE which contains PECMD.EXE
  6. Fix Parabola rEFInd booting (#989)
  7. Add check for the built-in browser in WebDeepin.sh
  8. Speedup md5sum/sha1sum/sha256sum/sha512sum command
  9. vtoyboot-1.0.16 release. Fixed the corruption after update kernel or install Nvidia driver.Notes
  10. vdiskchain-1.3 release. Notes
  11. languages.ini update
  12. New image support
    • HBCD_PE_x64.iso v1.0.2 (Legacy + UEFI)
    • MocaccinoOS-MATE-0.20210714.iso (Legacy + UEFI)

Blue remarks are mine.

alacran

#315 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:04 AM

E2B includes Ventoy 1.0.47 (modified slightly to run on a E2B USB drive).

#316 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:35 AM

Hi steve6375, It's good to see you around, even if you lately only post to advertise your program.  :D  :D  :D 

Just joking. No offence intended. I have being a big fan of your programs since the very first versions of RMPrepUSB.

But talking seriously, I was expecting more interest from you in grub4dos for UEFI, and maybe some of your always good comments, as you have always being here in reboot.pro the master of many of us in grub4dos (MBR version).

alacran

• devdevadev likes this

#317 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 June 2022 - 08:49 PM

JFYI

Wim files made using Make_PE program by wimb also boot very fine in Ventoy.

From this post:

Forgot to comment I can also confirm SMALL and MEDIUM versions *.wim files run very fine from Ventoy

alacran

#318 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2022 - 09:28 PM

Hi steve6375, It's good to see you around, even if you lately only post to advertise your program.  :D  :D  :D 

Just joking. No offence intended. I have being a big fan of your programs since the very first versions of RMPrepUSB.

But talking seriously, I was expecting more interest from you in grub4dos for UEFI, and maybe some of your always good comments, as you have always being here in reboot.pro the master of many of us in grub4dos (MBR version).

alacran

Sorry, I must have missed this old post.
I would love to use grub4efi more, but it is not compatible with the wimboot efi code module. This means it can't boot wim files and so makes booting directly from a windows install iso difficult, esp as ntboot for efi is very buggy.
Basically, until grub4efi can use the wimboot module, grub2 is the only viable solution.

#319 rvio

rvio
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Wales

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:25 PM

Hello, after using Ventoy to install Windows 11 with GPT on a new SSD Windows will not boot.

The only way to get it to boot is to load Ventoy then select:

F4:Localboot -> Search and boot BOOTX64.EFI

Is there any way to fix this?

UEFI booting is enabled in the BIOS.

I did have Windows 11 with MBR installed previously using Ventoy and it was booting fine.

#320 rvio

rvio
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Wales

Posted 25 November 2022 - 01:44 PM

Never mind guys, I fixed it using startup repair. Thought I'd tried that already but it was on the other install that I had corrupted. Awesome tool btw, thanks!

#321 Camiel

Camiel

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

A simple inquiry before looking in to it and find out it was a waste of time.

Is Ventoy going to help me boot mbr/bios wimboot [by "wimb" that is, not PE] dynamic vhds from ram, or should I just stick with grub4dos for the time be ?

#322 Camiel

Camiel

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

A simple inquiry before looking in to it and find out it was a waste of time.

Is Ventoy going to help me boot mbr/bios wimboot [by "wimb" that is, not PE] dynamic vhds from ram, or should I just stick with grub4dos for the time be ?

#323 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 04 February 2023 - 06:47 AM

If any one can test this for me. Try booting the Devuan varient of Peppermint OS through Ventoy. The last time I tried, it couldn't boot the ISO.

#324 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 04 February 2023 - 06:49 AM

If any one can test this for me. Try booting the Devuan varient of Peppermint OS through Ventoy. The last time I tried, it couldn't boot the ISO.

#325 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4197 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:13 PM

Tried ventoy on a new 2tb ssd

https://www.ventoy.n...n/download.html

ventoy-1.0.91-windows.zip                 2023-04-05               15 MB

Thanks for all documentation put up. Very helpful.

In trying to find how to use it on a usb drive. I had to read that the Ventoy2Disk.exe was to be used to start the process.

In reading the description about what ventoy can do to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files

So i tested some files . Some ISOs booted fine others didnt.

The thing that interested me was booting VHD or VHD(x) growable image.

I tried a Trimmed down WIndows 11 installed on  Vmware..

So in order to get the boot VHD(x) file Needed by Ventoy. The Vmware vmdk file had to be converted to VHD or VHD(x).

In the final chase the chosen app was "StarWind V2V Converter" . It has many options to pick from.

StarWind V2V Converter (VERY USER Friendly. THANKS!)

Select location of image

local file

For File name : Open file image using the right side button

location of destination

Local File

Image format

VHD/VHDX

vhdx growable image

if you have problems booting in ventoy. you can come back and create a new vhdx and select the option to Activate Windows repair mode option at the bottom. I  didnt and it booted and fixed itself.

Ran into a problem that ventoy would not see VHD or VHDX file. So in reading it turns out its not included in the installer of ventoy and a file ventoy_vhdboot.img needs to be put in a ventoy folder in the ventoy drive. Retest and the files showed up. Booted the VHDX and it worked.

---------------------------------------------------

Another test.  found that by default Ventoy formats the drive in Exfat. So i tried to convert the drive into NTFS because in reading one of the articles it said I need that NTFS.

Found out that converting a drive from exfat to NTFS without damage to data in not possible as of this wring in 2023 using free or other methods. The only way to do it was thru moving all data to a new drive.Then you can Format the whole EXFAT Partition into NTFS. You can leave the ventoy partition where it is. So i moved all the stuff back   and forth using FreeFileSync old version upon someone else's  recommendation and it worked. Made it easy to synch folders and files.

Tried to boot into ventoy and it worked to the part to where it creates the list. It stayed there for a  loooooooooooooooooooooong time I think I had nearly 400GB of data on the drive..

Before the move it didnt seem to have a problem creating a list.

So i tried to find if you could negate searching to folders that had nothing to do with ventoy.

Read about creating a file called    .ventoyignore     with no name and just an extension to exclude certain folders

That seemed to work. The list was created.

At this point I booted an iso pe and booted.

But then I was looking for the VHD folder to boot from, No such thing showing

In doing some more reading and for some reason or and another I created a  Ventoy  folder within the ventoy folder

Such as G:\ventoy\ventoy

At first the first ventoy worked. After the move of files the above seems to work

then ventoy_vhdboot.img was moved to

G:\ventoy\ventoy

Once again Ventoy booted the vhdx file.

Weird!

Ive notice you cant boot Windows 95 ,98,XP,ME vhds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users