Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

Posted Image

File Name: WOF_Compress
File Submitter: wimb
File Submitted: 10 May 2019
File Updated: 16 Sep 2021
File Category: Tools

WOF Compression and Uncompression of Files Or Drives and Folders using Status and Compress Functions made by erwan.l
GUI for WOF Compression and Uncompression of Drives and Folders using WofCompress Tool of JFX

Download Encrypted with password = bootwimb

WOF_Compress needs to be Trusted Installer in case of Path with Windows Operating System folders

- Double-click WOF_Compress_Trusted.cmd so that AdvancedRun.exe is used to Run as Trusted Installer program WOF_Compress_x64.exe

Otherwise:
- Use Wof Compress Tool to be Trusted Installer
- Or be Trusted Installer in Win10XPE Environment
- Or Run RunAsTI64.exe first and then launch WOF_Compress_x64.exe from Command Window - See WOF_Compr_2020-07-27_200739.jpg
In this case WARNING - Location systemprofile\Desktop missing occurs that you simply must close and can proceed

Two types of Exclusion can be used in WOF_Compress program using makebt\Compress_Exclude.ini file with [CompressionExclusionList] section
1 - Filenames with extension that may contain wildcards like * and/or ? but cannot contain a backslash
2 - Path\Filename or parts of path\filename that must contain a backslash and can have trailing wildcard * or *.* but cannot contain ? or * on other place
; Use Leading ; for lines with comment

WOF_Compress Program will default use file makebt\Compress_Exclude.ini as exclude file for compression using [CompressionExclusionList] section
WofCompress.exe Tool of JFX will default use file makebt\WimBootReCompress.ini as exclude file for compression using [PrepopulateList] section
In both cases a Custom.ini file is selectable to overrule the default selection

The file makebt\Compress_FileList.txt or a custom.txt file can be used as FileList to process files ocurring on selected Target Drive
Each valid entry should start with a backslash folowed by full path and filename with extension
Leading ; can be used for lines with comment

Credits and Thanks to:
erwan.l for making the Core of WOF_Compress being Function _Wof_Status2_ and _Wof_Uncompress_ and _Wof_Compress_
JFX for making WofCompress Tool - https://msfn.org/boa...comment=1162805
alacran for topic on WofCompress Tool - http://reboot.pro/to...for-win7-win10/
AZJIO - for making _FO_FileSearch - https://www.autoitsc...-_foldersearch/
BiatuAutMiahn[@Outlook.com] and Danyfirex for making Func _WinAPI_WofSetCompression - https://www.autoitsc...et-compression/
Joakim Schicht for making RunAsTI64.exe - https://github.com/jschicht
Nir Sofer of NirSoft for making AdvancedRun - https://www.nirsoft....vanced_run.html

Click here to download this file
  • fi-zilal likes this

#2 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:57 AM

WOF32-2019-05-23_191152.png == WOF32-2019-05-23_192033.png == WOF32-2019-05-23_192603.png == WOF32-2019-05-23_193535.png == WOF_Compress_Status_2020-08-20_130321.png == WinNTSetup_WOF_2020-08-20_125044.png

More Info: WOF Compression

WOF_Compress needs to be Trusted Installer in case of Path with Windows Operating System folders

Double-click WOF_Compress_Trusted.cmd to Run as Trusted Installer program WOF_Compress_x64.exe

Or:
- Use Wof Compress Tool Checkbox  to be Trusted Installer
- Or be Trusted Installer in Win10XPE Environment
- Or Run RunAsTI64.exe first and then launch WOF_Compress_x64.exe from Command Window
  In this case WARNING - Location systemprofile\Desktop missing occurs that you simply must close and can proceed

Thanks to Joakim Schicht for making RunAsTI64.exe - https://github.com/jschicht

WOF_Compr-2020-07-28_093021.jpg == WOF_UnCompr-2020-07-28_092201.jpg

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

@ wimb

Good, I tested it from Win7 x86 and it is working very fine, and also from ChrisPE-10x64 and it works fine from WimPE too.

Only comments I have are for the messages, if you don't mind I would like to suggest this:

First message says: End of Compress of ...... , well I think it should say:

Start Compress of: ........ DO NOT close the command window until program finish.

Second Message says: End of Compress OK, I think it should say:

End of Compress OK, this will close the GUI, close the command window once the program finish.

Best Regards

alacran

• wimb likes this

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for testing and good to know that it is working also in Win7 x86 and PE (not tested by me)  :) I have tested in 10 x64 and 7 x64

In my case when the First Message occurs then Compression is already finished and I give the user the time to read the results in the command window.

May be your computer is slower Or Total FieSize is larger so that Compression process in command window is still working ....

I think about how to change or combine the messages .....

Regards,

wimb

#5 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

I know your PC is faster than mine but first message appears before ending the process (at least on my case), I tested it on folders biger than 1 GB and using higest compression, I'm using at the moment for testing an I3-3225  3.3 GHZ, 4GB Ram at 1333 MHZ, Sata II HDD PC (this is not my usual PC), please see attached picture.

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Message too quick.png

#6 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Wimb, the Flying Dutchman, could not have made it any better!

Great software! Within the realm of, and in the same style as, wimboot!

This is integrity within accuracy!

So, I would deem it a case of integral accuracy or accurate integrity, as you like it.

nino

• wimb likes this

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Version 1.1 is on line with improved Messages according to alacran  :)

• alacran likes this

#8 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

Version 1.2 is on line

- solved WofCompress failure in case of drive root selected instead of folder

#9 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

2 points for reflection here:

1) there's no telling whether wimboot will have managed to copy registry files at completion of the apply function. about 1 time outta 5 it will not have --> bsod with the usual "cannot find \windows\system32\config\system" message (btw, the winboot procedure ends with no error detected!). Thank God, after 4-5 times it does work - wonder why.

2) is there any chance we can arrive at a version of gtldr that is faster than bootmgr any time soon?

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:22 AM

@ wimb

Just tested your new v1.2, all working fine, thanks for changing both messages my friend, I think they make more sense now.

Nice tool, not for every day use, but it is good to have it available, you never know when need arrise.

Not for a real need of space, more just for testing, but to test the program + GUI, I decided to LZX compress all games I have installed on this PC, it saved some GB, and as the content of this folders is not going to change for a long time I think it is a good idea to keep them this way, I started all the games one by one just to see if there was some delate during runing them, but I can't feel any diference since loading, and once they are loaded on Ram it is just the same.

I have noticed something I want to share with all of you: There is not a single problem to deal with compressed files/folders from my runing Win7 x86 or x64, but if I reboot to 7pe_x86_E.iso or 7pe_amd64_E.iso, since both do not have Wofadk.sys driver, I can't copy to other location any folder that has been previously compressed with WOF_Compress, pending testing 8.1 U 1 and 10 based WinPes, my guess is they will work fine, but better be sure, I will do it ASAP.

This is not a big issue for me as my Wimboot VHDs from 7 have the mentioned driver (I took care to install it), and 8.1 U 1 and 10 VHDs should work fine too.

But for other people not having such options to reboot: it may complicate the recovery/copy of files/folders. So I suggest do not WOF-compress your personal documents if you don't have a bootable option (VHD, WinPE, boot.wim) capable to handle WOF-compressed files.

alacran

#11 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

Just to report my findings:

Contrary to my guess ChisPE-8.1x64 based on 8.1U1 it is not capable to copy a WOF-compressed folder to other location.

ChrisPE-10x64 as guessed is capable to copy a WOF-compressed folder to other location, the copied folder is uncompressed.

Haven't tested other WinPEs based on a 10 source, but when I do it I will report back.

alacran

#12 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

Version 1.4 is on line with improved messages

Thanks for testing and interesting that copy of WOF-compressed folders can be a problem in some cases ....

==

#13 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

version 1.4 might have added more articulated messages, but it will certainly compress what it should not. I got a winload.exe undetection error so I had to rewimboot my vhd and when compressing it again I replicated the error. thank god I had saved a copy of the rewimbooted vhd and restarted it all. pls either see to it that this will not happen or tell us what not to compress in the greatest detail possible.

nino 

#14 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

The file WOF_Compress\makebt\WimBootReCompress.ini has section [CompressionExclusionList]

where you determine what files are excluded from WOF Compression.

What files should be mentioned in that section ? Now there is only file ntoskrnl.exe

I think we might have something like the following list:

Spoiler

Any idea or experience on this subject is welcome .....

#15 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

is this the same list as the one operating upon the previous versions of wofcompress?

if so, the only wrong thing seems to be the activativation of "compress all files", which must have wofcompress ignore the list. am I correct?

nino

#16 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

are we 100% of the syntax in this file?

is *winload.* actually correct?

some details here : https://docs.microso...i-files-winnext .

#17 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

is this the same list as the one operating upon the previous versions of wofcompress?

if so, the only wrong thing seems to be the activativation of "compress all files", which must have wofcompress ignore the list. am I correct?

nino

In all versions the same WimBootReCompress.ini file is used which only excludes file ntoskrnl.exe

The list is ignored when you select Compress All Files button

@erwan.l

Thanks for reply and info.

I am not sure about the composition of the list, it is just a proposal open for discussion

#18 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

My dear Wimb, 

confirmed! 

just compressed the vhd without ticking the compress-all-files box and it boots ok.

nino

• wimb likes this

#19 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

just compressed the vhd without ticking the compress-all-files box and it boots ok.

OK, good to know that vhd is booting ok now

May be not needed to change the exclusion list  :unsure:

#20 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

nice to help u 2. FYI, I always keep a copy of my vhd.vhd; it is called vhd1.vhd; both point to the same *.wim. so I can always resort to the latter, should the former fail. thus, feel free to ask me whatever to test out.

nino

#21 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

WOF_Compress Version 2.0 is on line - Download encrypted with password = bootwimb

Credits and Thanks to  :) 

erwan.l for making the Core of WOF_Compress being Function  _Wof_Status_  and  _Wof_Uncompress_  and  _Wof_Compress_

:cheers:

#22 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

it crashes (BSOD) on my wife's asus transformer T100 (uefi gpt). let me try it on my rig as well and I'll tell u about it.

nino

#23 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

well, it works ok on mine.

nino

#24 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

it crashes (BSOD) on my wife's asus transformer T100 (uefi gpt). let me try it on my rig as well and I'll tell u about it.

nino

How come ?

What did you try to WOF_Compress ?

File, Folder Or Drive (and which drive) ?

#25 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

drive; both the one I was on (c:\) and a copy of it (f:\). in both cases it bsod'd. I replicated it on my rig and it compressed ok.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, compression, ntfs, wof

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users