• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

We're all hoping to include one day a crystal ball in Winbuilder, to make it a true one button experience.

But so far, the darn thing always breaks, during compiling. :lol:

:cheers:

#27 jimmsta

jimmsta
  • Advanced user
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

There's really only one thing that irks me with WinBuilder. I've attached an image of the type of error that I get, which is what makes me not want to use or even attempt to go any further with WB. It's great that the downloader informs the user that the file it downloaded was not verified, but it shouldn't halt the downloads entirely with a window that requires user interaction - which is what it currently does. What should be happening here is a warning that is passive - have the OK button there, but have the window itself timeout after 3-5 seconds of no user interaction. I wanted to download all the projects last night, so I clicked on all the projects in the Downloads section, and clicked the button for it to start. I left my computer on all night to download the projects, yet to my surprise, I was greeted with this pop up that had stayed up all night, and done nothing in the ways of downloading the project files. I'd be happy with a log file at the end of the downloads that lists any failed files, but having these pop-ups that don't auto-close is a nightmare.

Please, please, please resolve this. I think this change alone would improve the functionality of the program by a lot.

Secondly, it would be a bit more ideal to store scripts and binaries separately - I like the idea of storing everything in the script file, but it can prompt a false positive by some antivirus products, and if there's a corrupt file in a script, it's harder to pinpoint the corruption since the binary is encapsulated within the script file.

These are my only qualms with WinBuilder as it currently stands. Otherwise, it's the easiest platform to build PE projects on, especially when it comes to 7/Vista projects (I've done it the command-line microsoft way, and I'm tired of writing out pages of commands to simply create a bootable wim).

Attached Thumbnails

• The Reason why WinBuilder is a pain in the ass to use.png

#28 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Its not winbuilder but the project / script authors that decide to embed program files in the script. Nothing in winbuilder forces that decision on the script authors. There is no reason why the script should not download a program when its runs or copy a locally installed version.

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Having the ability to have the applocation embedded in the script, is one of the best features of WB.
Did you all already forgot the constant whining with BartPE plugins, where to find the application?

If a WB scripts downloads the application on first run, one can wait for the following to happen:
- someone whines that the project doesn't work offline
- someone cries that the script doesn't work any longer, because the download location or name or version was changed
- someone asks for the application, because the program isn't available anymore

And what for, should we invite all this trouble? To avoid a few false positives from some AV software?

If you don't trust us, don't use any projects from us.
We can screw up your whole computer, with just a single script and no AV software will ever warn you about it!
Yep, that's how good we are!!! ;)

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yep, that's how good we are!!! ;)

For NO apparent reason :w00t:
Posted Image

Wonko

#31 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yes but so many programs do not allow redistribution although many script authors ignore this fact. Although it may be convenient to include such files it does not mean you are not breaking the license.

#32 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

I said this before.
The only way to be perfectly legal, in each and every country on this great planet of ours, is to delete all projects and all information on reboot.pro.

Cause teaching, how to do illegal things, means at least entering a grey zone, sometimes it's outright illegal, as someone just recently pointed out to me.

#33 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi,
sorry I'm gonna hijack the topic for something specific, that might be covered somewhere else,
but it is about the user-friendliness too. Once in a while I boot-up WinBuilder, and as discussed in the topic,
then I give up. I'm not blaming it (WinBuilder), as I'm sure it's a great tool. I'll take time to use it as it should at some point.
The specific: Is there a way (a button) to save one's config, preferences. I.e, I've just ticked lots of boxes (unticked, etc).
When I re-start can I load these preferences, rather than re-choosing?
(WB 082)
Cheers.

Rmm, :dubbio: might be because I'm using the downloader. Same question then. In the downloader is there a way to save
the preferences?

Cheers.

#34 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

The specific: Is there a way (a button) to save one's config, preferences. I.e, I've just ticked lots of boxes (unticked, etc).
When I re-start can I load these preferences, rather than re-choosing?

Rmm, :dubbio: might be because I'm using the downloader. Same question then. In the downloader is there a way to save
the preferences?

It is not a task of WinBuilder. It is a question of the project you use.

e.g. multiPE and some nativeEx based projects like LiveXP have this ability.
wbmanager.gif

WinBuilder download manager is not intended to save and restore some user options.

Peter

#35 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ok, found! in LiveXP.

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

When you only want to save / restore options when downloading some newer scripts, maybe myOptions is sufficient:
myOptions.gif

BTW: when you want to adapt wbmanager or myoptions for your actual project, use them of multiPE.

The EXEs are much newer and more powerful.

Peter

#37 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

When you only want to save / restore options when downloading some newer scripts, maybe myOptions is sufficient:
myOptions.gif

BTW: when you want to adapt wbmanager or myoptions for your actual project, use them of multiPE.

The EXEs are much newer and more powerful.

Peter

Good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users