19 replies to this topic

#1 tlockley

tlockley
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

While trying to install Windows 7 Professional w/ SP1, I got an error message asking me to look for a driver as "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." Can anyone shed some light on to why this would be happening? Especially with the ISOstick seeing as it booted to the installer just fine.

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

Can you confirm that your isostick is running the latest firmware, r1612?
Also what is the make and model of the computer (or motherboard if it's a custom build) and its bios?
Thanks.

#3 hydrechan

hydrechan
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

It's not isostick problem - it's Windows problem - you're probably using USB3.0 port. Plug isostick into USB2.0 port and you'll be fine.

#4 Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but I have had the same issue in the past with a normal USB stick. Unplug the stick then go back to the welcome screen of the windows install. Then continue on as normal. If you have the stick plugged into the front, move it to a port on the back.

#5 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

It's not isostick problem - it's Windows problem - you're probably using USB3.0 port. Plug isostick into USB2.0 port and you'll be fine.

USB3.0 should be backward compatible with USB2.0, so that shouldn't matter.

#6 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

USB3.0 should be backward compatible with USB2.0

It's not backward compatible at controller side. You have to use proper drivers at OS side.

A default Windows 7 boot.wim dosn't contain USB 3 controller drivers.
Hence a device is not found at a USB3 port: "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing."
You have to use Windows 7 USB 3 drivers.

@tlockley
Which hardware do you use? Motherboard and port?

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

A default Windows 7 boot.wim dosn't contain USB 3 controller drivers.

Ah, I hadn't realized that!
:cheers:

#8 cenroeast

cenroeast
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I trying to install windows 7 ultimate using a bootable dvd, but this error occur, " a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please insert it now" i try to installe the OS in other pc and it works, i also try the other way in the forum but it not work. how can i fix this problem to my ASUD K4RSJ Model. pls help me i waste 7 hrs to fix this problem

#9 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

@cenroeast, can you confirm it is not being plugged into a USB3.0 port as per the above posts? As far as I know, USB3.0 ports are blue, so this should be easy to check.

#10 NevynPA

NevynPA
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

I too suffer this malady. Just recently bought an ISOStick and found this bug. https://trello.com/c/XnZmO34V seems to have the most current info about it (beginning of March).

#11 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

@NevynPA, the bug mentioned in the Trello card you linked is actually related to a bug in firmware which has not been released to the public. You should be able to install Windows 7 (64- or 32-bit) with the latest public firmware, r1677.

A few questions:

- Which version of Windows are you installing?

- Does the isostick behave normally aside from this issue?

- Can you confirm you are not plugging into a USB 3.0 port?

- Also have you tried moving to a different port?

Thanks!

#12 NevynPA

NevynPA
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit (ISO from http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59186.iso) onto a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop. 

Near as I can tell, the isostick behaves normally for all other things. 

I have tried all the USB ports available on the laptop. They're all USB 2.0.

Tested 7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO, got same result - XP Pro SP3, Kali Linux, and Hiren's Boot CD work fine.

#13 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

If possible, can you disable the internal CDROM, or move the isostick cdrom to the top of the boot priority list, and see if either of those helps?

#14 NevynPA

NevynPA
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Okay, so that's a little weird.

The SP1-U Media refresh update ISO pitched a fit about the driver. The basic SP1 original ISO was fine.

Basic SP1 ISO link:  

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-24281.iso Windows 7 Professional x64 English

EDIT: I did move CD/DVD to top of boot priority and removed the internal drive - that had no effect.

Edited by NevynPA, 09 May 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#15 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

Sorry for the delay. Thus far I have been unable to reproduce the problem using the SP1-U Media refresh update ISO and the latest isostick firmware, r1677.

It could be a timing bug in the isostick firmware, but it will be difficult to track down without reproducing the bug. Are you able to proceed using the Basic SP1 ISO, since you mention that one is working?

#16 NevynPA

NevynPA
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yes. The original ISO worked fine. Perhaps I just had a hiccup in the download - no big deal. Thanks!

#17 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Glad to hear it :)

#18 virgus

virgus

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hello Eric, hello everybody,

I've a question about this topic and hopefully it could help to find out a solution to this annoying issue.

My IsoStick is working great and updated to the latest firmware, my Asus i5 laptop has only usb2 ports and no cd rom.

After many tries both with supports and BIOS settings I just downloaded a copy of Windows ThinPC and put its ISO
onto my ISOstick and got it installed! No problems at all, no matter if the configuration of the bios SATA
was in IDE emulation or AHCI!

I posted the same question on Maher's forum here:

http://www.nomaher.c....php?topic=1795

I don't know if this might help investigating further on this issue. Two ISOs of different W7 versions, one working perfectly

and the other not. I keep my fingers crossed.

Ciao to everybody,

V.

Edited by virgus, 07 September 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#19 Hydranix

Hydranix

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi virgus,

I think people are approaching this problem from an unproductive angle. Instead of trying to find a workaround for the problem (which can usually be remedied by slipping your machines drivers into the install.wim prior to installation), that people should avoid the need to boot the 5 year old installer's PE environment.

By building once, or even downloading another's (miniXP works equally as well) updated PE environment or live windows based OS, and manually applying the image and running the two boot commands would be both simpler and much faster. Many methods are well documented here on reboot.pro.

Downloading via digitalriver, the x86 and x86_64 Windows 7 Ultimate ISO's contain perfect proper retail copies of the four core Windows 7 editions.

I've successfully installed Windows 7 from Linux as well, using libwim, and I believe using a Linux enviroment would permit freely redistributing an installer to the public if that's a concern.

-HNx

#20 virgus

virgus

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hello Hydranix,

and thanks for your reply!

and manually applying the image and running the two boot commands would be both simpler and much faster.

Could you please point me to this method you're talking about?

Here and on other forums there are thousands of pages and a link would be really helpful.

I'm quite new to Windows 7 as I tried to resist with XP as long as I could, but now I need more memory

and despite of PAE a 64bit OS is mandatory. So I switched to lubuntu and need Win 7 as well.

My goal is to boot from VHDs so that I could be more partition independent (and maybe I could use bootable

VHDs with VMware or VirtualBox, I still have to test this).

Not wanting to waste hours with the windows updates I found Maher's releases, but I had to burn a DVD

because of the missing driver. I tried to find the missing driver without success and gave up....

I never used digitalriver releases, do they have all the official updates slipstreamed too?

Thanks again,

Virgus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users