#1 dmr

dmr
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

I downloaded WinBuilder 2015 yesterday and created a boot disk as described in the tutorials. This all worked out very well - thank for the great tool! I added 7ZipPortable and CPUZ as plugins.

Now after burning the ISO on a CD-ROM and booting from there, Win PE starts to boot as expected, but then hangs with the following screen:

2015_05_31_15_43_16.jpg

There is nothing I can do in this situation, there is no mouse pointer on the screen and pressing any keys on the keyboard (i tried at least ESC, Space, Enter, Backspace, Alt + F4) don't do the trick. Any idea what to do?

There are two harddisks in my computer, but they may both be broken (which is why I try to run Win PE). Could there be an issue with easyDriveLetter if not any drive was found?

Thanks and cheers,

dmr

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Check the contents of the easyDriveLetter.ini, maybe the issue is with some other commands in it.

But AFAIK/AFAICR the use of easydriveletter.exe is optional, it is only a way to make sure that the "boot media" gets the Y: drive letter for "consistency" across different possible boot scenario's, if needed you can disable it.

And yes, if there are hard disks that failed it is entirely possible that the Mount Manager gets "confused", a typical example would be a disk drive in "LBA0" or "BSY" state, usually any Windows NT cannot boot with a device in that state connected directly to the motherboard (while they may allow booting if connected through - say - a USB adapter/enclosure), but it should be still understandable in BIOS if this is the case (disk in BSY state will be not detected, disk in LBA0 will be detected but show 0 LBA) you'd better use a DOS based tool like the UBCD:

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

to run some tests/diagnostics on them.

:duff:

Wonko

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

I downloaded WinBuilder 2015 yesterday and created a boot disk as described in the tutorials. This all worked out very well - thank for the great tool! I added 7ZipPortable and CPUZ as plugins.

Now after burning the ISO on a CD-ROM and booting from there, Win PE starts to boot as expected, but then hangs with the following screen:

2015_05_31_15_43_16.jpg

There is nothing I can do in this situation, there is no mouse pointer on the screen and pressing any keys on the keyboard (i tried at least ESC, Space, Enter, Backspace, Alt + F4) don't do the trick. Any idea what to do?

There are two harddisks in my computer, but they may both be broken (which is why I try to run Win PE). Could there be an issue with easyDriveLetter if not any drive was found?

Thanks and cheers,

dmr

I do not know why there is no reaction on pressing the "return" key. On the other hand, I sometimes have to press it twice, in very seldom cases even three times.

The "Display Problem" message is a fault of mine. This message appears also on other troubles (fixed).

The question concerning your problematic harddisks: I do not know. Of course I cannot reproduce your HW configuration. But I made a software change to tell the user something about PE booting.

• Download the new WinBuilder version and unzip into your existing WinBuilder directory (<BaseDir>)
  • Delete <BaseDir>\lib\corefiles\Win7PE.*
  • Start WinBuilder
  • Config core win7pe
  • Set "Boot Debug" to True and click "Save Changes" at bottom.

Build the PE and run it. During boot easyDriveLetter tells something about what it is doing.

Maybe here we get an error report.

You can duplicate the log output to winbuilder.log by the

Command FILELOG ON (OFF).

To continue, you have still to "Click Return". I hope, only one times.

BTW: Wonko is a bit wrong. easyDriveLetter.exe is fundamental for this PE and cannot be omitted. Also easyDriveLetter.ini must not be changed.

BTW2: You should set "Boot Debug" to "False" when the issue is solved.

Peter

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Spoiler

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Primarily easyDriveLetter was written to give "known" letters to the HDs, using paraglider's RemapDrives tool.

Later easyDriveLetter has been extended to "... that someone may not want to have the Y: drive letter"

Later it has been extended to install drivers.

Later it has been extended to start applications.

Later ...

You are right, I should think about renaming, but to what?  :cheers:

To make clear: easyDriveLetter is not part of WinBuilder 20xx. It is included in my implementation of building a Win7PE.

Peter

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

Spoiler

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

@dmr

Please be not confused about some kidding and trolling stuff here.

Important for you is post #3

Peter

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Please be not confused about some kidding and trolling stuff here.

Fixed my 50% quota. :)

Important for you is post #3

... and to a much lesser degree, but still possibly useful, post #2.  :dubbio:

:duff:
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users